PDA

View Full Version : Cops arrest man for flipping the bird

VoluntaryAmerican
03-07-2013, 04:48 PM
EDISON – A township man arrested for flipping his middle finger at police officers will receive a $20,000 payout from New York City, according to the New York Daily News.

The city chose to give Robert Bell the payout to settle his federal lawsuit, the report states.

Bell, 26, had just left a West Village bar in August 2011 when four New York City police officers walked by. A moment later, Bell raised his middle finger toward the officers. He stated in his lawsuit that the gesture was an expression of “his dislike and distrust for police officers.”

A police officer witnessed the gesture and handcuffed Bell and charged him with disorderly conduct.

http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2013/03/edison_man_jailed_for_giving_c.html#incart_m-rpt-1

aGameOfThrones
03-07-2013, 05:10 PM
“It is not an indication of any police wrongdoing,” city attorney Ryan Shaffer told the Daily News.

LOL it never is.

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 05:22 PM
As a police officer, it truly pains me to see such violations of a person's constitutional rights. There are even some in my department who think that it's against the law to give a cop the finger.

jkr
03-07-2013, 05:29 PM
waDDeva haPPened to stIcks & stOnes?

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 05:37 PM
waDDeva haPPened to stIcks & stOnes?

People became butt-hurt apparently...

heavenlyboy34
03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
As a police officer, it truly pains me to see such violations of a person's constitutional rights. There are even some in my department who think that it's against the law to give a cop the finger.
Do you try to persuade them otherwise, or is that expressly (or implicitly) forbidden?

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Do you try to persuade them otherwise, or is that expressly (or implicitly) forbidden?

It's mostly the older vets that have been on the force for years that ignore it. Usually they walk around acting high and mighty. But, some really do care about people, and most will ignore being given the finger. However, like most departments we do have our idiots, on the force, that don't care about your rights.

If I arrested everyone that called me a pig or gave me the finger I'm sure I'd be a higher rank right now, but, it's not something that I care to do especially if it means stepping on their rights to do so.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
As a police officer, it truly pains me to see such violations of a person's constitutional rights.

If true, thank you for showing up.

This forum can seem hostile to police, but it is actually hostile to what police are doing to people these days. Most people here can separate people from actions.

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
If true, thank you for showing up.

This forum can seem hostile to police, but it is actually hostile to what police are doing to people these days. Most people here can separate people from actions.

Yea, I sort of lurked around before joining... I've seen the posts showing the police brutality and can honestly say, that my department has never had an incident like this. At least since I've been on the force, I don't know whether it's the fact that Virginia is a lot more lenient or what.

Believe me, those of us that like to consider ourselves good cops, hate to see stuff like this happen. We didn't join the force to beat people senseless or parade around like we own the world. Most of us joined because we were tired of a lot of the injustices that we saw on the news. Personally, I joined because I wanted to protect people that couldn't protect themselves. Which is what I like to believe others joined for but strayed the path as the years went on.

The Gold Standard
03-07-2013, 06:23 PM
He should be grateful they didn't kill him.

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 06:33 PM
He should be grateful they didn't kill him.

Can't fault you for that opinion. New York does seem to have a lot of officer brutality going on.