PDA

View Full Version : Cop Discharges Gun in High School Hallway...Gets Suspended

coastie
03-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Suspended, while an investigation commences. Pretty sure you or I would be in jail right now, waiting to get the book thrown at us.

Just Us.

HIGHLAND, N.Y. — A New York town that began assigning an armed police officer to guard a high school in the wake of the Connecticut massacre has suspended the program after an officer accidentally discharged his pistol in a hallway while classes were in session.

http://www.policeone.com/officer-misconduct-internal-affairs/articles/6142952-Officer-who-fired-shot-in-NY-high-school-suspended/

presence
03-07-2013, 04:18 PM
What is the difference between a hero and a cop? A hero will not hesitate to risk his life to protect your safety, a cop will not hesitate to risk your life to protect his safety...

coastie
03-07-2013, 04:19 PM

:p

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
What is the difference between a hero and a cop? A hero will not hesitate to risk his life to protect your safety, a cop will not hesitate to risk your life to protect his safety.

That's actually kind of wrong coastie, while I'm not one for stepping on your opinion. Most of us cops are good people who would throw our lives away to protect someone else. Notice the most part... there are some idiot cops out there, that could care less about you or your safety as long as he or she ends up okay. But, it's not right to lump us all in with this minority.

Now the reason I really replied to this post...

What the hell was this officer doing that caused him to accidentally discharge his firearm? Was he spinning the thing on his finger? Cops are always, always supposed to keep their firearms in their holsters with the holster strap in place to prevent this sort of idiocy. Especially when you're in a place such as a school. There's no excuse for a fuck up like that.

AFPVet
03-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Accidental discharges are virtually impossible with modern safety mechanisms... there are only negligent discharges. This cop was simply neglecting firearm safety rules.

kcchiefs6465
03-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Accidental discharges are virtually impossible with modern safety mechanisms... there are only negligent discharges. This cop was simply neglecting firearm safety rules.
Exactly. People not familiar with guns usually think that if you drop the gun it is going to discharge. No not hardly, and especially with today's guns. How he could possibly have shot that gun is beyond me. I'm glad to see no one was injured though.

Spikender
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Taking into account how well-trained cops are with firearms, he probably pulled out his gun and wondered what the trigger on it did.

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 06:06 PM

You and kc are 100% right, it's nigh impossible to make a modern day firearm discharge by dropping it. Even with ones that have so called "hair triggers".

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Taking into account how well-trained cops are with firearms, he probably pulled out his gun and wondered what the trigger on it did.

That's actually kind of funny, reminds me of a guy I was in the academy with.

Murder Time Fun Time.

SR3-Professor Genki eh?

tod evans
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
A cops gun accidentally discharges when a round is chambered, the safety disengaged and the trigger pulled...

I'll bet a cyber-dollar this idiot is back on the "job" post-haste...:mad:

Spikender
03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
That's actually kind of funny, reminds me of a guy I was in the academy with.

SR3-Professor Genki eh?

Please tell me you're kidding on that first point.

Yessir. Surprisingly good game.

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 06:14 PM
A cops gun accidentally discharges when a round is chambered, the safety disengaged and the trigger pulled...

I'll bet a cyber-dollar this idiot is back on the "job" post-haste...:mad:

All of us always have a round chambered, safety is almost always on to prevent accidental discharges. The only time my safety is disengaged is when I have to pull my firearm. Which has only been three times in my career and all three have resulted in the suspect surrendering. As I said, the cop that "accidentally discharged" his firearm, was probably playing robocop trying to look good spinning the thing on his index finger.

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Please tell me you're kidding on that first point.

Yessir. Surprisingly good game.

I wish I were joking about the first part of the post, luckily for all of us he flunked out. He couldn't get his shooting quals. He had a bad habit of shooting fake hostages.

Yea, surprisingly it was an awesome game. I spent countless hours playing it, really looking forward to part 4.

Spikender
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
I wish I were joking about the first part of the post, luckily for all of us he flunked out. He couldn't get his shooting quals. He had a bad habit of shooting fake hostages.

Yea, surprisingly it was an awesome game. I spent countless hours playing it, really looking forward to part 4.

Wow, that's pretty bad, but very believable in a scary sort of way.

I was a little put off at first by just how crazy Saints Row the Third was, but after playing it I got addicted for a while. I am also looking forward to part four.

Glad to see someone else who can appreciate good games 'round these parts.

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Wow, that's pretty bad, but very believable in a scary sort of way.

I was a little put off at first by just how crazy Saints Row the Third was, but after playing it I got addicted for a while. I am also looking forward to part four.

Glad to see someone else who can appreciate good games 'round these parts.

Games help me actually relax after a long day on the job... btw about the guy I went to academy with, when he failed the first time, you only have two chances. The instructor asked him what he was thinking, and when it did it again, that was it. Instructor pretty much said, you're done, turn in your duty belt, and uniforms, you're done. The guy couldn't understand what he had done wrong, shooting hostages.

Spikender
03-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Games help me actually relax after a long day on the job... btw about the guy I went to academy with, when he failed the first time, you only have two chances. The instructor asked him what he was thinking, and when it did it again, that was it. Instructor pretty much said, you're done, turn in your duty belt, and uniforms, you're done. The guy couldn't understand what he had done wrong, shooting hostages.

Same here. I find most games rather relaxing, although I know some people can get rather worked up over them.

Good. I honestly cannot see how the guy could've possibly passed if he thought shooting hostages was just peachy keen.

TheTexan
03-07-2013, 06:36 PM
That's actually kind of wrong coastie, while I'm not one for stepping on your opinion. Most of us cops are good people who would throw our lives away to protect someone else. Notice the most part... there are some idiot cops out there, that could care less about you or your safety as long as he or she ends up okay. But, it's not right to lump us all in with this minority.

Source: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/ard0309st.pdf (linked from http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=82)

From 2003 through 2009, a total of 4,813 deaths
were reported to the Bureau of Justice Statistics’
(BJS) Arrest-Related Deaths (ARD) program.
Of these, about 6 in 10 deaths (2,931) were classified
as homicide by law enforcement personnel, and 4 in
10 (1,882) were attributed to other manners of death.

Between 2003 and 2009, there were a total of 1137 police deaths that were "in the line of duty." This includes things like car accidents, heart attacks, etc. (source: http://www.odmp.org/search?name=&agency=&state=&from=2003&to=2009&cause=&filter=nok9)

Using the statistics here to estimate (http://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2003),
by counting the intentional-death categories such as "Gunfire", "Stabbed", "Assault", "Vehicular Assault", and so on, the amount of these cop deaths that count as homicide is roughly 40%, with the rest being natural or accidental deaths.

I'll round up to 50% just in case there were any errors in my estimation.

That's 550 police deaths due to homicides, and 2900 deaths to homicide by cop during arrests*. You say that cops care more about other people's safety than their own but the numbers don't add up. The circular force continuum, and the prevalence of no-knock raids is also inconsistent with your statement.

And just food for thought, dog deaths? There have been like 8 zillion dogs killed by cops, I don't think even one cop has been killed by a dog.

*(This number I believe doesn't even include non-arrest related homicides by cop, such as when a cop killed a homeowner that was holding a burglar hostage in his home, or when a cop responded to a 911 call to calm down a mentally unstable person in a wheelchair and killed him for wielding a pen)

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Source: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/ard0309st.pdf (linked from http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=82)

From 2003 through 2009, a total of 4,813 deaths
were reported to the Bureau of Justice Statistics’
(BJS) Arrest-Related Deaths (ARD) program.
Of these, about 6 in 10 deaths (2,931) were classified
as homicide by law enforcement personnel, and 4 in
10 (1,882) were attributed to other manners of death.

Between 2003 and 2009, there were a total of 1137 police deaths that were "in the line of duty." This includes things like car accidents, heart attacks, etc. (source: http://www.odmp.org/search?name=&agency=&state=&from=2003&to=2009&cause=&filter=nok9)

Using the statistics here to estimate (http://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2003),
by counting the intentional-death categories such as "Gunfire", "Stabbed", "Assault", "Vehicular Assault", and so on, the amount of these cop deaths that count as homicide is roughly 40%, with the rest being natural or accidental deaths.

I'll round up to 50% just in case there were any errors in my estimation.

That's 550 police deaths due to homicides, and 2900 deaths to homicide by cop during arrests*. You say that cops care more about other people's safety than their own but the numbers don't add up. The circular force continuum, and the prevalence of no-knock raids is also inconsistent with your statement.

And just food for thought, dog deaths? There have been like 8 zillion dogs killed by cops, I don't think even one cop has been killed by a dog.

*(This number I believe doesn't even include non-arrest related homicides by cop, such as when a cop killed a homeowner that was holding a burglar hostage in his home, or when a cop responded to a 911 call to calm down a mentally unstable person in a wheelchair and killed him for wielding a pen)

Were these ARD considered homicides or did the victims die of accidental causes as well? The thing is we don't know those statistics. That's also why I said most cops and not all. Another question about the ARD, if some were accidental, such as the suspect being tackled too hard, did the cop try to help the victim? Were some of the ARD caused via heart attacks, strokes etc?

Here's a little food for thought for you, as I have had a suspect have a heart attack on me during an arrest, not only did I throw caution to the wind, not knowing if this man had any diseases, I rolled him over, and gave him cpr until the ambulance got there. Would that be considering putting my life on the line, not knowing whether this man had aids or some other infectious disease?

Again, I'd love to see the details of these ARD, because sadly as much as we hate for it to happen, sometimes people do die, we do our best to help them medically, but if when we do all we can, what more is expected of us?

I am well away that this place is more hostile to cops, than Iraq is to US soldiers, but, it's not right to lump us all into a category that we have no way of knowing what exactly caused it and whether or not the officer tried to do something about it.

As for the gentleman in the wheelchair, didn't he already stab someone else and pretend to point the pen like a gun? When you're a cop, you have nano seconds to make a decision, sometimes it's right, sometimes it's wrong.

As for the dog death thing, I can't even begin to comprehend what a fellow officer is thinking when he shoots a dog, all he has to do is pepper spray the dog, they run away. Also, I've seen what dogs can do to humans it's not pretty, so part of me understands why, but, again, another part of me, says just pepper spray it.

TheTexan
03-07-2013, 07:01 PM
As for the gentleman in the wheelchair, didn't he already stab someone else and pretend to point the pen like a gun? When you're a cop, you have nano seconds to make a decision, sometimes it's right, sometimes it's wrong.

If I were to shoot a man in a wheelchair for wielding a pen I would be tried and convicted for at the very least manslaughter if not murder.

You know why? Because normal people are required to have a "reasonable" fear to themselves or others before shooting someone. This is called the "reasonable person" standard. If a "reasonable person" in the same position would have felt his life at risk, then it's usually justified.

Police on the other hand are held to a different standard. They are held to the "any fear" standard. If a cop believes there is any threat to himself or others, then it's usually "justified."

You actually proved my point here with your rebuttal. "When you're a cop, you have nano seconds to make a decision." How does the badge make any difference?

AGRP
03-07-2013, 07:18 PM
You have to remember that people with badges are not stanford grads and thats exactly what .gov wants. They want mindless thugs who follow orders. You will not be hired if you can think. This is no joke.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-4389953.html

This guy is literally retarded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGf9lmtcWvY

Fivezeroes
03-07-2013, 07:40 PM
If I were to shoot a man in a wheelchair for wielding a pen I would be tried and convicted for at the very least manslaughter if not murder.

You know why? Because normal people are required to have a "reasonable" fear to themselves or others before shooting someone. This is called the "reasonable person" standard. If a "reasonable person" in the same position would have felt his life at risk, then it's usually justified.

Police on the other hand are held to a different standard. They are held to the "any fear" standard. If a cop believes there is any threat to himself or others, then it's usually "justified."

You actually proved my point here with your rebuttal. "When you're a cop, you have nano seconds to make a decision." How does the badge make any difference?

My rebuttal was quite simple, as a cop we face things everyday that a normal joe walking the street doesn't. The fact that I wear a badge automatically paints a bulls-eye on my back. Mostly because a lot of people fear cops, and rightly so, I'd fear a cop too if I saw some some of the stuff like in the videos take place. Or if I had bad experiences with cops, before I became one myself.

As for your first sentence, when you're standing in the dark, and you have someone approach you and pull something from their waistband or pocket, instantly you think weapon. Especially again, if you're wearing a badge. Cops are gunned down on a daily basis because of this piece of metal we wear. I have mistaken someone pulling a blackberry phone out as a weapon, and in that nano second I had to a choice to make, do I go for my weapon or do I ask what's in his hand. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, so I asked what was in his hand. Now if he had been a dangerous drug dealer or well known gang banger, I would have went for my gun.

I really wish you guys could live just one day in my shoes, then you'd understand my thought process.

TheTexan
03-07-2013, 07:42 PM
My rebuttal was quite simple, as a cop we face things everyday that a normal joe walking the street doesn't. The fact that I wear a badge automatically paints a bulls-eye on my back. Mostly because a lot of people fear cops, and rightly so, I'd fear a cop too if I saw some some of the stuff like in the videos take place. Or if I had bad experiences with cops, before I became one myself.

As for your first sentence, when you're standing in the dark, and you have someone approach you and pull something from their waistband or pocket, instantly you think weapon. Especially again, if you're wearing a badge. Cops are gunned down on a daily basis because of this piece of metal we wear. I have mistaken someone pulling a blackberry phone out as a weapon, and in that nano second I had to a choice to make, do I go for my weapon or do I ask what's in his hand. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, so I asked what was in his hand. Now if he had been a dangerous drug dealer or well known gang banger, I would have went for my gun.

I really wish you guys could live just one day in my shoes, then you'd understand my thought process.

Are you agreeing then that cops are held to a different standard? Or are you disputing it?

AGRP
03-07-2013, 07:46 PM