PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul's Filibuster...So Now What Happens?

coastie
03-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Well, what happens now? I have people questioning me about it this morning and I feel like a jackass for not knowing.

Does this really mean anything, in the end?

Kords21
03-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Just like the Alamo the battle maybe lost, but the inspiration will lead to victory in the war.

coastie
03-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Just like the Alamo the battle maybe lost, but the inspiration will lead to victory in the war.

Inspired...to do what?

Seraphim
03-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Have enough people stand up and force the Executive to roll over into it's Constitutional role.

Inspired...to do what?

AuH20
03-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Well, what happens now? I have people questioning me about it this morning and I feel like a jackass for not knowing.

Obama's silence is deafening and very revealing. That was the entire point of this exercise. Call the president's bluff. Rand knows the president has detailed plans to conduct an air campaign with UAVs on US soil, but the public is very immature and too trusting in this regard.

Kords21
03-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Hopefully to come together and get this country back on the right track. Admittedly it's a long shot, but look at how many groups that are normally opposed all came out to stand with rand. The ramifications may not be apparent in the short term, but if Rand runs in 2016 and he keeps up this kind of stuff, then I believe good things can happen.

TheTexan
03-07-2013, 11:07 AM
It proves that Rand is capable of herding portions of the establishment into tolerating positions of freedom, even if only for purposes of making Blue team look bad. There are still many barriers to making a Rand 2016 nomination possible but this was a big step I think.

Even if that doesnt work out this was still very significant in simply spreading message of freedom.

Rand did good.

vita3
03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
What's next is all that matters

Acala
03-07-2013, 11:10 AM
People who generally do not notice such things have noticed. And one thing in particular they have noticed is the non-partisan nature of the exercise bringing people together. Maybe a backlash to the politics of factionalism has its own momentum, given some leadership.

coastie
03-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Obama's silence is deafening and very revealing. That's was the entire point of this exercise. Call the president's bluff.

Meh, it will just be spun or ignored by MSM, which I don't have....While all of these things may be revealing - to us - I don't think boobus gets it or gives a shit,and most certainly not the neocons I just had breakfast with.

Some of these people I was just with seriously think everyday life in the .gov is just like an episode of 24...no really, they do. Seems everyone does. You can ask your average American on the street if they think its wrong that the president can do (___________), and they usually answer in a fashion that shows they think he can do whatever he wants to do, whenever and to whomever.

I've seen this President's "bluffs" called one too many times to be less than comfortable with this. Nothing ever happens to him. He can come out tomorrow, admit he was born in Kenya, ordered guns shipped across the border, admit to being the asshole on the grassy knoll- it just doesn't matter.

ravedown
03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
obama hasn't responded because he can't really spin this to his advantage...it's checkmate...he can't even argue against it without looking bad. the only defense those on the left have is the phony poll that shows americans favor drones. they never address the killing americans part-which was precisely what rand brought up. thats why its so hard to argue against rands position. obama and the lefts are on the ropes on this one.

KingNothing
03-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Inspired...to do what?

Here's what will happen:

The old guard Republicans will go out with a whimper. This settled all of that. There are new players in the GOP, and they have a Libertarian bent and respect civil liberties.

The Democrats and the Obama administration are placed in an awkward position -- they'll either be forced to formally say that there are limits to executive power, or they'll run to the right of Republicans on a popular issue. I don't suspect they will allow that to happen. My suspicion is that Obama denounce the strikes Rand pointed out, but do so with language that is still a bit murky. That, though, will be enough to placate his base.

However, a new can of worms was opened yesterday. The New Guard of the Republican party has positioned itself in a place where it gets to defend civil liberties from executive power grabs. Any time Obama does something he is not allowed to do, they will have a much louder voice to use to shout him down. It might not always work, but at the very least, it will force Obama to acknowledge that an anti-unitary executive, anti-interventionist, anti-tyranny, group exists. That will influence his actions because he and his party will be forced to expend political to carry out their unconstitutional, illegal, activities.

KingNothing
03-07-2013, 11:26 AM
obama hasn't responded because he can't really spin this to his advantage...it's checkmate...he can't even argue against it without looking bad. the only defense those on the left have is the phony poll that shows americans favor drones. they never address the killing americans part-which was precisely what rand brought up. thats why its so hard to argue against rands position. obama and the lefts are on the ropes on this one.

Yep. Rand won. Obama will be forced to agree with him, which will -hopefully- end any threat of Americans being killed in America by a drone.

TonySutton
03-07-2013, 11:27 AM
First and very important, Rand's filibuster forced MSM to cover a topic they have pretty much ignored and during Prime Time. This could very easily turn into something bigger. Especially if the President continues to avoid answering the question.

coastie
03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
First and very important, Rand's filibuster forced MSM to cover a topic they have pretty much ignored and during Prime Time. This could very easily turn into something bigger. Especially if the President continues to avoid answering the question.

But from what I've heard so far this morning - the MSM is NOT covering this topic as they should, and when they do, it's been in the tone that he's just being difficult, and being an asshole about this.

I'm just not holding my breath on anything coming of this. This President was caught read handed sending guns over the border, where someone actually was killed, FFS...and there he still sits.

We're just merely talking about something he might do here in the US, there have been no drone strikes in the US, and we're expecting this to go somewhere?

KingNothing
03-07-2013, 11:32 AM

At the same time, you have to remember that cause celebres have expiration dates. In a week or two this will become old news. My guess is that Obama will acknowledge Rand with some "gooblygook" language that kinda-sorta addresses the issue and then this specific issue will be forgotten, in a sense -- but the narrative is beginning to change. The GOP can now begin to chip away at the left's unjustified monopoly on civil libertarianism.

And, just as importantly, Rand gained the respect of a huge swath of young voters.

ravedown
03-07-2013, 11:34 AM
i think the obama strategy will be ignore...allow the short term memory of the public to move on, the MSM will assist the administration ( as they do) and move on to something far less important that the public needs to concern themselves with ( fear related ) like north korean nukes etc. they'll treat rand as a fringer and try and make this whole thing quietly go away.

and if the rand story gets traction.... they'll stage a tragedy...that always works

coastie
03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
i think the obama strategy will be ignore...allow the short term memory of the public to move on, the MSM will assist the administration ( as they do) and move on to something far less important that the public needs to concern themselves with ( fear related ) like north korean nukes etc. they'll treat rand as a fringer and try and make this whole thing quietly go away.

and if the rand story gets traction.... they'll stage a tragedy...that always works

This is exactly my sentiment this morning....

I really can't seem to get excited about any of this, I feel like nothing has changed, or will change.

fisharmor
03-07-2013, 11:42 AM

I really can't seem to get excited about any of this, I feel like nothing has changed, or will change.

Go back and read the transcript of the filibuster. There's a whole lot of "don't kill Americans on American soil", and precious little "what the hell are we still doing fighting the war on terror in the first place".
"We shouldn't have gone and we should just come home" has been translated to "Just don't import your strategies here."

The way I see it, this entire thing boils down to support for the idea of American exceptionalism.

Czolgosz
03-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Rand Paul's Filibuster...So Now What Happens?

The same thing that's occurred for thousands of years in Human history; a small group marches on grabbing power, most yield, and a few complain.

TheTexan
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Go back and read the transcript of the filibuster. There's a whole lot of "don't kill Americans on American soil", and precious little "what the hell are we still doing fighting the war on terror in the first place".
"We shouldn't have gone and we should just come home" has been translated to "Just don't import your strategies here."

The way I see it, this entire thing boils down to support for the idea of American exceptionalism.

Flip side of that coin, if he were to have gone that route the filibuster would have been over in heartbeat.

Breaking the left right paradigm is more important at this point anyway I think, and though havent listened to his speech yet, apparently there was a good amount of that going on. The civil liberty role reversal contributes to that also

TonySutton
03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
More people are watching TV during Prime Time than in the morning. This gets Rand's name out there to all of the people who only watch the nightly news. I had relatives mentioning Rand on Facebook last night. These are people who NEVER talk politics but who still vote.

fisharmor
03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Flip side of that coin, if he were to have gone that route the filibuster would have been over in heartbeat.

Breaking the left right paradigm is more important at this point anyway I think, and though havent listened to his speech yet, apparently there was a good amount of that going on. The civil liberty role reversal contributes to that also

I'm not saying I don't appreciate what he did, and I don't fail to see all the good in it.
I'm just not taking my marching orders from him.

cbc58
03-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Only when a drone kills an American on American soil will people do anything other than talk. We are sheeple until we stand up and do something - regardless of all the discussion and complaining about the glaring problems facing us. To answer the OP's question; So now what happens? - lot's of talk and placing the burden of effort onto select elected officials. I am guilty of it just like everyone else but at least I see the problem at it's root cause - apathy.

jllundqu
03-07-2013, 12:03 PM
The whole thing was a giant F-YOU to war-hawk neo-cons and fake anti-war liberals. It forced them to go on record against the constitution and bill of rights.

Rand just launched his 2016 campaign... better get the ball rolling on our end...

Seraphim
03-07-2013, 12:04 PM
This.

The whole thing was a giant F-YOU to war-hawk neo-cons and fake anti-war liberals. It forced them to go on record against the constitution and bill of rights.

Rand just launched his 2016 campaign... better get the ball rolling on our end...

Ender
03-07-2013, 12:05 PM

One bite of the elephant at a time.

cjm
03-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Each event like this wakes up a few more people. One filibuster will not change the world overnight, but a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step which is followed by thousands of other steps. We don't have to get excited about each step but hey, they need to be taken.

thoughtomator
03-07-2013, 12:40 PM
The same thing that's occurred for thousands of years in Human history; a small group marches on grabbing power, most yield, and a few complain.

Yet if that were the whole story, our tradition of liberty would never have existed.

juliusaugustus
03-07-2013, 12:46 PM
It is funny that people ever thought the constitution was more than just ink and paper imposed upon people against their will secretly by rich slave owners.

Todd
03-07-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm not saying I don't appreciate what he did, and I don't fail to see all the good in it.
I'm just not taking my marching orders from him.

I may have missed something, but I don't think this anyone is really suggesting we do. No one ever thought we were taking marching orders from Ron.

Todd
03-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Can I tweet that?

CPUd
03-07-2013, 12:54 PM
I was kinda surprised it wasn't above the fold at CNN's site last night, since they have at least 1 mention of him on their front page 6/7 days per week. It did show up a bit later in their sidebar. Fox Newws had it front and center, but tactfully avoided explaining the reason he was doing it.

The press has a dilemma here- if Rand and others were trying to stop the confirmation because the guy got caught with hookers and blow, the filibuster would be front and center across the board for the next week or so. But they can't talk too much about the drone policy, because since the summer, they have been playing it up as an exaggeration. If they start coming out and saying this thing has been for real all along, it could get ugly for the press.

UWDude
03-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Only when a drone kills an American on American soil will people do anything other than talk.

Naw, they'll drop a drone missile on some Dorner-like dude, and the American people will stand up and applause the use of drones against themselves.

massah has goot food!

rubioneocon
03-07-2013, 12:59 PM

They vote . . .

if only 15 out of 45 GOP Senators are standing with Rand and also not giving consent to President BO's nominee for the CIA . . .
well expect alot of protests this summer and BO's approval rating to drop like a rock

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/iowacityobamacare17.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/iowacityobamacare12.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/30.jpg

The Gold Standard
03-07-2013, 01:05 PM

I know exactly what you are saying, but I think he did it the way he had to. He didn't drop as much truth as his dad would have, but he did enough that the likes of those people never heard before. If Ron was standing there I probably would have been screaming applause, but with Rand I was proud to see some of the stuff he covered while everyone was watching him, even if I wish he would have gone further.

bunklocoempire
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Don't underestimate the power of truth. We seem to be concerned about msm's handling of this event -we KNOW their m.o. -we KNOW sleezebag m.o.'s like McCain/Graham, etc. -we KNOW how daft boobus can be.

However-

We also KNOW that Rand is where he is spouting truth because someone else spouted truth. Spout the truth and sprout the truth elsewhere. Yeah corny, but it is true.

Keep on keeping on. It ain't our first time at the big dance now is it? :)

Don't underestimate the power of truth. The truth got out for 13 hours yesterday.

jllundqu
03-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Can I tweet that?

Please do!

libertygrl
03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
We all know that whatever topic is hot and trending one day, can disappear pretty quickly off the public's radar screen. Rand's filibuster was a watershed moment for the liberty movement and a HUGE OPPORTUNITY to unite both sides of the political aisle. HOWEVER, if we don't seize this moment in time to build on it, I am concerned it will become old pretty fast.

The issue of whether the goverment has the right to assassinate its own people on American soil should be a concern to all Americans. (OBVIOUSLY!) But how can we build on Rand's filibuster? Momentum is EVERYTHING. Is the next step possibly a day of holding protest rallies? Flooding representatives who weren't present with calls/emails? People seem focusing more on the media coverage to get things rolling rather than focusing on ourselves. It's up to us to build the momentum and continue this. NOT the media. That being said, what are some of YOUR IDEAS?

seapilot
03-07-2013, 01:19 PM

For most people a serving of real truth is having them eat the whole turkey at a meal and expect them to feel good afterwards. Rand is feeding them small portions at a time so they have appetite for more.

coastie
03-07-2013, 01:23 PM
They vote . . .

if only 15 out of 45 GOP Senators are standing with Rand and also not giving consent to President BO's nominee for the CIA . . .
well expect alot of protests this summer and BO's approval rating to drop like a rock

And? So? What does an approval rating mean for Obama at this point in the game? NOTHING. Congress' approval rating is the teens FFS, and there's nary a whimper.

A lot of protests? We'll see, but I bet not - not for this, anyway. To protest Obama means you're a racist - the potential protestors themselves will never get past that, and is why many aren't in the streets right now. That's the narrative the media will push 24/7. The only protests I feel we'll be seeing at this point is the protesting/rioting that will occur if someone ever grows the balls to arrest this traitor.

This guy has been 10x worse than Bush ever was, and there's still silence.

coastie
03-07-2013, 01:25 PM
We all know that whatever topic is hot and trending one day, can disappear pretty quickly off the public's radar screen. Rand's filibuster was a watershed moment for the liberty movement and a HUGE OPPORTUNITY to unite both sides of the political aisle. HOWEVER, if we don't seize this moment in time to build on it, I am concerned it will become old pretty fast.

The issue of whether the goverment has the right to assassinate its own people on American soil should be a concern to all Americans. (OBVIOUSLY!) But how can we build on Rand's filibuster? Momentum is EVERYTHING. Is the next step possibly a day of holding protest rallies? Flooding representatives who weren't present with calls/emails? People seem focusing more on the media coverage to get things rolling rather than focusing on ourselves. It's up to us to build the momentum and continue this. NOT the media. That being said, what are some of YOUR IDEAS?

I'm down to do a video or two, just need somewhat of a script to go on, I'm having severe writer's block as of late.

TheGrinch
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM

Organizing and brain-storming will certainly be important to keep the momentum going, I agree, but right now, as much as anything is to just keep finding common ground. I've been preaching that since I got here that it does work, and it paid big dividends last night, showing how our common principles can unite us.

You highlighted something very important, that it's not just what Rand did for liberty, but the fact that he's building on what his father started and we've worked for. The difference now is that people may actually be ready to start listening.

We need to look past partisan differences. We have very important commonalities with folks from all stripes, and believe me, once they realize the parts of the liberty message that are easier to swallow, well, "you'll never meet an ex-Ron Paul supporter".

libertygrl
03-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Organizing and brain-storming will certainly be important to keep the momentum going, I agree, but right now, as much as anything is to just keep finding common ground. I've been preaching that since I got here, and it paid big dividends last night, showing how our common principles can unite us.

You highlighted something very important, that it's not just what Rand did for liberty, but the fact that he's building on what his father started and we've worked for. The difference now is that people may actually be ready to start listening.

We need to look past partisan differences. We have very important commonalities with folks from all stripes, and believe me, once they realize the parts of the liberty message that are easy to swallow, well, "you'll never meet an ex-Ron Paul supporter".

This is EXACTLY the momentum I'd like to see people build upon - common ground. Uniting with those Dems/Liberals that were supportive of Rand's stand. This is KEY because like we've all witnessed before with the hijacking of the RP Tea Party. It was gaining ground with everyone until the neo-cons took over and made it a Republican conservative thing. THIS is what we cannot allow to happen with the filibuster. And unless we act quickly, this is how the media is going to try weave it into.

Czolgosz
03-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Naw, they'll drop a drone missile on some Dorner-like dude, and the American people will stand up and applause the use of drones against themselves.

massah has goot food!

That is exactly right.

Republicans/Democrats will disparage the target w/ their audience tailored rhetoric, and the people will, as you indicated, applaud.