PDA

View Full Version : HuffPo: Democrats Absent During Rand Paul Filibuster Of John Brennan Nomination

jct74
03-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Democrats Absent During Rand Paul Filibuster Of John Brennan Nomination

Posted: 03/07/2013 12:30 am EST
Ryan Grim and Mollie Reilly

WASHINGTON -- Senate Republicans took the floor on Wednesday, launching an historic filibuster in an attempt to extract an answer from the White House to a simple question: Does the administration believe it has the legal authority to kill an American citizen on American soil with a drone strike?

It's a question that seems fairly nonpartisan on its face, but a second one occurred to those watching the C-SPAN broadcast late into the morning: Where are all the Democrats?

Republicans, from Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) to filibuster-leader Rand Paul (Ky.), spoke for more than 12 hours. But only one Democrat, Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon, spoke in support of Paul during that time. Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Oregon) tweeted support, but otherwise progressives who might have assumed to have been supportive were absent, leaving members of the GOP as the sole defenders of civil liberties. The White House was equally silent.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) even joked that Paul's filibuster was "background noise."

read more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/07/democrats-rand-paul-filibuster_n_2825847.html

Sentinelrv
03-07-2013, 01:59 AM
Great comment on that article. I hope there are many more people that woke up today...

"I understand it was 13 hours, but are Democrats defending Obama's decision to kill Americans, on American soil, without due process of law ? Its called DUE process for a reason. Listen people, I voted for Obama 2x's, and was a strong supporter, but he should be publicly called out, & shamed by BOTH parties right now, & ALL of us. Its REALLY scary to see the direction the administration is going in right now"

acptulsa
03-07-2013, 09:07 AM
The fastest way to get censored by HuffPo: Suggest that there just might be an issue facing the nation more important than R vs. D.

cajuncocoa
03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
This is why I HATE political parties. We all know damned well that those Dem Senators would be more than motivated to speak up if Bush was still sitting in the Oval Office instead of Obama. Few of our elected representatives are willing to do what's right for the country; they're more concerned with moving in lockstep with others of their party instead.

acptulsa
03-07-2013, 11:08 AM
One of the very, very few sane comments the HuffPo Censorship Bureau has allowed through:

Sarge106
162 Fans
Become a fan
Unfan
2 minutes ago (12:00 PM)
Amazing 180 degree turnaround of Democrats regarding civil liberties. How sad for the historical defenders of our rights to be advocating for the destruction of our Constitution. Drones spies? The left had a fit in the 60's and 70's when cops infiltrated radical lefist terror groups. Now they are sadly quiet about drone executions of US citizens on US soil without criminal charges or a trial. What a radical rightward shift for the left.