PDA

View Full Version : 11-year-old explains why he left school and went to the movies

Lucille
03-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Changing schools? Try homeschooling for a change, unless you don't care your kid will continued to be bullied by the "precious" children and "heroic" teachers wherever he goes.

Flagstaff boy explains why he left school
http://www.azfamily.com/video/featured-videos/Flagstaff-boy-explains-why-he-left-school-195459021.html

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- Brandon Shinko is staying home Tuesday after he just walked away alone from Kinsey Elementary School in Flagstaff on Monday because he says he had enough.

"People are bullying me," Brandon said. "Teachers are being mean to me."

The 11-year-old has autism. Brandon said his teacher took a reward away from him that he earned earlier in the day because he was misbehaving.

"Yeah, she snatched it," Brandon said.

Brandon then walked several miles to a movie theater and watched a movie. Police gave his mom surveillance pictures of him inside the theater.
[...]
Police got a tip where Brandon was and eventually found him. Shinko can't understand how her autistic son was able to leave school twice now without his teachers noticing.

"I'm really angry, really angry, frustrated that this could even happen," she said.

Officials with the Flagstaff Unified School District were not willing to speak with us about Brandon or what happened on Monday.

They did provide this statement:

As you have recognized, this is an incident that involved an individual child in a specific situation. Because of privacy concerns and requirements, we will make no comments about this specific incident. As those who attended the Community Safety meeting held last week are aware, FUSD has taken and will continue to make every effort to keep our students safe on campus. We are very appreciative of the efforts of our law enforcement agencies and other community members for their assistance in locating this child.

Barbara Hickman
Flagstaff Unified School District

Shinko tells 3TV the district has notified her that her son will get an 80-minute counseling session and one-on-one attention as well as a new teacher.

Shinko is considering changing schools.

Brandon is suspended from school on Wednesday.

coastie
03-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Police got a tip where Brandon was and eventually found him. Shinko can't understand how her autistic son was able to leave school twice now without his teachers noticing.

Because they don't give a fuck about you or your son. What do I win?

Funny how the school addresses "privacy concerns" in refusing to comment here...while the mother and son's names are plastered all over the newspapers. Who's privacy are we concerned about, exactly?

VIDEODROME
03-06-2013, 10:18 AM
lol the punishment for leaving school is being suspended from school?

Lucille
03-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Because they don't give a fuck about you or your son. What do I win?

Funny how the school addresses "privacy concerns" in refusing to comment here...while the mother and son's names are plastered all over the newspapers. Who's privacy are we concerned about, exactly?

You win rep!

The teacher probably. How hard is it to keep track of a classroom of kids? Dollars to doughnuts that broad knew he left, and she didn't GAF.

Right?! LOL... I hope he's having a good old time today. For at least one day, he will not be subjected to public school abuse.

fisharmor
03-06-2013, 11:40 AM
So... first thought.... why does a movie theater have surveillance photography equipment, and how did the police get access to it so quickly?

So I get to pay as much PER TICKET as it would cost to buy the DVD in three months, AND the surveillance state is watching me the whole time??
Sign me the fuck up!

(And I'm actually happy that the boy was able to walk away so easily. That's how school SHOULD be.)

AngryCanadian
03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
This is Teachers dont deserve the government money which they are collecting, the teachers here in Canada dont really care about you, they just give you the work and your left clueless.

angelatc
03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
This is Teachers dont deserve the government money which they are collecting, the teachers here in Canada dont really care about you, they just give you the work and your left clueless.

Heh. I see what you mean, my friend.

Anti Federalist
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM

Mind Blown

CaptainAmerica
03-06-2013, 01:02 PM
does anyone hear a tree if it falls in the woods? I doubt that anyone will do anything to help him in his situation , the school board will do anything now to protect its reputation

AGRP
03-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Maybe he really likes movies and wants to be a movie reviewer? Whats wrong with him going to the movies and writing or making videos of his reviews? I dont think he needs an "education" for that.

talkingpointes
03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
I used to do the same, but not that young. I didn't get bullied until high school. To be fair I was somewhat of a bully when I was younger. My younger brother and I (11 months apart) would fight all the kids we thought wanted too. When they didn't we usually would find ways to make it happen. This kid needs attention, odds are his mom doesn't have the slightest clue of what he does when she is not around.

Edit: They live in one the most beautiful places in AZ. But wondering college aged dicks could mess with him though.

DamianTV
03-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Any teachers here?

Schools dont get their "Federal Blackmail Money" when a student skips, well, fairly sure.

Do schools still get their "Federal Blackmail Money" if a student is suspended?

Is this the only motivation for the school district to put students in school, to receive their "Federal Blackmail Money"? We all pretty much know the district wouldnt give anyone two drops of piss if your student was set on fire and the piss was the only way to put the fire out. But this reveals something else about schools.

Human Livestock Management Practices

heavenlyboy34
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I used to do the same, but not that young. I didn't get bullied until high school. To be fair I was somewhat of a bully when I was younger. My younger brother and I (11 months apart) would fight all the kids we thought wanted too. When they didn't we usually would find ways to make it happen. This kid needs attention, odds are his mom doesn't have the slightest clue of what he does when she is not around.

Edit: They live in one the most beautiful places in AZ. But wondering college aged dicks could mess with him though.
I dunno about up north, but in Phoenix metro the college punks usually don't wander through the suburbs where the kids are. The interesting places like Club Rio are in the big business areas.

heavenlyboy34
03-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Mind Blown
When I was in school, hiding from the teachers to smoke was generally cause for OSS (outside school suspension), which gives you plenty of time to smoke off campus. How's that for a mind blower?

presence
03-06-2013, 10:02 PM
meh... I used to walk a half mile to burger king for lunch on money I made selling blue blow pops in home room.

I'm fine.

coastie
03-06-2013, 10:27 PM
When I was in school, hiding from the teachers to smoke was generally cause for OSS (outside school suspension), which gives you plenty of time to smoke off campus. How's that for a mind blower?

Wow-we just smoked in between classes, and even then just couldn't smoke on campus. You can't be that much older, I graduated in '95...it was the years after then they really started to ridiculous with it, at least in Florida.

Cutlerzzz
03-06-2013, 10:29 PM

Makes no sense. An in school suspension with an after school detention would have ruined his day.

Instead, he gets to play video games.

heavenlyboy34
03-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Wow-we just smoked in between classes, and even then just couldn't smoke on campus. You can't be that much older, I graduated in '95...it was the years after then they really started to ridiculous with it, at least in Florida.
Actually, it seems I'm a smidge younger than you. I was class of 2000.

My school had 3 locker bays, and one of them was mostly out of sight from security goons, so that was one of the most popular places to smoke. Bathrooms were probably the most popular.

PaulConventionWV
03-08-2013, 09:14 PM
So... first thought.... why does a movie theater have surveillance photography equipment, and how did the police get access to it so quickly?

So I get to pay as much PER TICKET as it would cost to buy the DVD in three months, AND the surveillance state is watching me the whole time??
Sign me the fuck up!

(And I'm actually happy that the boy was able to walk away so easily. That's how school SHOULD be.)

Those movie theatres are just full of mystery, aren't they?

PaulConventionWV
03-08-2013, 09:15 PM

It makes sense. They didn't want you to smoke on school property. They remove you from school property. Problem solved.