PDA

View Full Version : Embracing the Führerprinzip

Origanalist
03-05-2013, 10:20 PM
theCL 2013-02-15 Fascism, Government, Philosophy, Video

Hitler's crown jurist, Carl Schmitt, argued the executive was free of any constitutional, legislative, and moral restraints, because a powerful executive was imperative during times of crisis. For Schmitt, the basis of political rule boils down to the question: "Who decides?"

Schmitt's rationalizations for the Führerprinzip ("leadership principle") have since been revived (in modern America of all places) in the Unitary Executive Theory. This radical assumption of "unitary executive power" gained traction in the aftermath of 9/11, most notably when President George W. Bush rammed his own Ermächtigungsgesetz through Congress, and answering Schmitt's question with the declaration: "I'm the decider, and I decide what's best."

While infamously tied to John Yoo and Dick Cheney, the Unitary Executive Theory is truly a bipartisan affair, having advocates on both the "left" and the "right." Cass Sunstein, for example, argues that the "outcome" of federal law should "depend on the commitments and beliefs of the President." The New York Times doesn't hesitate to praise Obama's executive power grabs these days. But leave it to a hardcore neocon, University of Chicago Law School's Professor Eric Posner, to fully embrace Schmitt's contention that the "charismatic leader" ultimately derives his power from "the people."

Per Posner, legal restraints on the executive branch have been replaced by "political considerations," by which he means "democratic" public approval … He explains that presidents operate in a bubble defined by their own popularity and what the public will accept "to maintain the credibility to govern" which he also refers to as "political legitimacy" … asserting that the "public values stronger federal regulation of national concerns" because the nation has evolved politically, no longer restrained by "rule of law," into an "administrative state." It is "a natural development, reflecting public opinion and the institutional advantages of the presidency."

Partisanship on both sides of the aisle have blinded Americans to the very dangerous and un-American nature of the Unitary Executive Theory. As long as "our guy is in charge," an increasingly passive and accepting American public tells themselves … lulling themselves to sleep in the illusory "safety" of "their" American Führer's embrace.

And here we are …

Judge Napolitano on presidential executive orders..

video at link

http://the-classic-liberal.com/embracing-fuhrerprinzip/

heavenlyboy34
03-05-2013, 10:23 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Origanalist again. :(

Anti Federalist
03-05-2013, 10:40 PM
I wonder...were the few sounding the alarm in say, 1938...what were they called?

Radicals?

Extremists?

Conspiracy theorists?

Origanalist
03-05-2013, 10:44 PM
I wonder...were the few sounding the alarm in say, 1938...what were they called?

Radicals?

Extremists?

Conspiracy theorists?

Enemies of the Fatherland.

Anti Federalist
03-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Enemies of the Fatherland.

Homeland Security threats.

Got the same ring to it...yes, that will do nicely.

We're fucking boned...

heavenlyboy34
03-06-2013, 12:18 AM

Radicals?

Extremists?

Conspiracy theorists?
On the other side of the Atlantic, they were generally called Enemies Of The Party, IIRC. It's kind of hard to imagine because nothing quite like it has happened here (except maybe the GOP, and that happened significantly slower and with generally less aggressive tactics), but the Nazis went from a virtually unknown fringe party to the 3rd largest party in Germany almost overnight. :eek: IMO, the rise of the National Security State ("Security Uber Alles") is somewhat analogous. /ramble

Pericles
03-06-2013, 12:23 AM

Radicals?

Extremists?

Conspiracy theorists?

Enemies of the people. Then they were called dead.

Philhelm
03-06-2013, 12:38 AM

Radicals?

Extremists?

Conspiracy theorists?

Conservative Monarchists.