PDA

View Full Version : Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans On US Soil

sailingaway
03-05-2013, 02:59 PM
This may be Rand's news that everyone is scooping by putting him off.

Yes, the president does have the authority to use military force against American citizens on US soil—but only in "an extraordinary circumstance," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter to Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) Tuesday.

Last month, Paul threatened to filibuster the nomination of John Brennan, Obama's pick to head the CIA, "until he answers the question of whether or not the President can kill American citizens through the drone strike program on U.S. soil." Tuesday, Brennan told Paul that "the agency I have been nominated to lead does not conduct lethal operations inside the United States—nor does it have any authority to do so." Brennan said that the Justice Department would answer Paul's question about whether Americans could be targeted for lethal strikes on US soil.

Holder's answer was more detailed, however, stating that under certain circumstances, the president would have the authority to order lethal attacks on American citizens. The two possible examples of such "extraordinary" circumstances were the attack on Pearl Harbor and the 9/11 terrorist attacks. An American president order the use of lethal military force inside the US is "entirely hypothetical, unlikely to occur, and one we hope no president will ever have to confront," Holder wrote. Here's the bulk of the letter:

more: http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/03/obama-admin-says-it-can-use-lethal-force-against-americans-us-soil

CTRattlesnake
03-05-2013, 03:01 PM
I'd love to know what they define "extraordinary circumstances as"

ZENemy
03-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Raw milk
Homeschooling

ETC

Anti Federalist
03-05-2013, 03:04 PM

Whatever they want it to be Mundane.

phill4paul
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
2,700 DHS amored personnel carriers...
2 billion rounds of ammo ordered by DHS...
DHS targets depicting citizens including pregnant women and children...
DHS detention facilities...
Grants to local law enforcement agencies including Bearcats and full-auto rifles...
Local police and military joint training exercises in major American cities...
Dramatic rise in the number of police para-military units...
Legislation for the use of drones over America...UPDATE: For purposes other than surveillance including a strike against a "threat" on American soil.
Efforts to curtail the second amendment of citizens and particularly ex-military...

The hammer is coming.

ClydeCoulter
03-05-2013, 03:20 PM
All of this shit is totally unlawful, unnatural, unconstitutional, void, null, bullshit.
But they continue anyway, like it's normal.

sailingaway
03-05-2013, 03:30 PM
All of this shit is totally unlawful, unnatural, unconstitutional, void, null, bullshit.

all of that.

green73
03-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Attorney General Eric Holder can imagine a scenario in which it would be constitutional to carry out a drone strike against and American on American soil, he wrote in a letter to Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky.

“It is possible, I suppose, to imagine an extraordinary circumstance in which it would be necessary and appropriate under the Constitution and applicable laws of the United States for the President to authorize the military to use lethal force within the territory of the United States,” Holder replied in a letter yesterday to Paul’s question about whether Obama “has the power to authorize lethal force, such as a drone strike, against a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and without trial.”

Paul condemned the idea. “The U.S. Attorney General’s refusal to rule out the possibility of drone strikes on American citizens and on American soil is more than frightening – it is an affront the Constitutional due process rights of all Americans,” he said in a statement.

Holder noted that Paul’s question was “entirely hypothetical [and] unlikely to occur,” but cited the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks as the type of incidents that might provoke such a response.

“Were such an emergency to arise, I would examine the particular facts and circumstances before advising the President on the scope of his authority,” he concluded.

Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, an attorney and Judiciary Committee member, told The Washington Examiner last month that the drone policy so far outlined by the administration is too vague.

“That has the potential to swallow the rule,” Lee said after the drone program white paper was leaked. “If you’re going to regard somebody as presenting an imminent threat of an attack on the U.S. simply because you have concluded that they are an ‘operational leader’ or they are involved in planning an attack in one way or another, you find yourself giving way to much discretion to the government.”

Lee said that the White House should release the formal legal analysis underpinning the drone program. “We know that in some instances where the government has released its legal analysis, it gets it wrong,” he said.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/eric-holder-drone-strikes-against-americans-on-u.s.-soil-are-legal/article/2523319

jkr
03-05-2013, 03:42 PM
cuz i's say's so's

sailingaway
03-05-2013, 03:43 PM
posted a few places

shane77m
03-05-2013, 03:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TDwk5NI.gif

Athan
03-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Holder needs to be removed.

mczerone
03-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Well, yeah, but he said "extraordinary circumstances". That makes you feel better, doesn't it?

sailingaway
03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Well, yeah, but he said "extraordinary circumstances". That makes you feel better, doesn't it?

twitter is pointing out that the two examples he cited were ones where no need to strike US citizens existed so, wtf?

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
This may be Rand's news that everyone is scooping by putting him off.

more: http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/03/obama-admin-says-it-can-use-lethal-force-against-americans-us-soil

In linking similarities between Obama and Adolph Hitler, one should read Machiavelli's essay entitled "The Noble Prince." Then again, Adolph Hitler and Mahatma Gandhi, both individuals who effected hundreds of millions of people, were both called "father" by the masses. Fortunately, president Obama neither expresses the courage of Adolph Hitler nor the intelligence of Mahatma Gandhi. Compared to them, the rock star president is called "father" by the silly because of his golden voice.

green73
03-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Is it time yet?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsNtay6D3nHh_MM-vpvpzSczYhph2lsV7WrACvInWAqOReBcQl
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP1mM97VAb29RM6VyNbNvJg9B3uJ38m gttztqvfdqz4Z8gygbcuA

sailingaway
03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
bump

belian78
03-05-2013, 05:24 PM
No more need for a Waco/Doerner situation. Have a militia group getting out of line? Special circumstance and direct threat to national security, they'll be droned within the hour.

green73
03-05-2013, 05:45 PM
I guess this isn't big news here.

ghengis86
03-05-2013, 05:50 PM

No, not for most. This is the logical extension of the current situation. US citizens droned in a foreign country without charge or trial--> not far from US citizen on US soil. Just waiting for the first such strike. I give it 18-14 months, after the sheep are sufficiently propagandized. Maybe sooner by the looks of it.

kcchiefs6465
03-05-2013, 05:51 PM
It's probably that a lot of people here did not need to be told that the president feels he could assassinate Americans on US soil without consequence. It's news. But not new news. I knew the answer to this question after Al Awlaki. Here, there, what's the difference? American citizens are killed without due process and no one cares. Seeing the trends I know it is only a matter of time. I'm kind of surprised Dorner wasn't 'liberated' out of that cabin.

sailingaway
03-05-2013, 05:53 PM

I think they are taking advantage of people being numb. It is the what do we do to stop it? part....

spreading it is the first step imho.

No Free Beer
03-05-2013, 06:19 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqhqlwygiU1qbi5jlo1_500.gif

V3n
03-05-2013, 06:20 PM
We always knew he would, but it is nice to hear him say it. Good on Rand for forcing him to put it on paper!

kcchiefs6465
03-05-2013, 06:26 PM
I think they are taking advantage of people being numb. It is the what do we do to stop it? part....

spreading it is the first step imho.
Yeah, you're on to something there. It takes a lot to really shock me now days. I remember hearing about 60M going to Syria and found myself thinking, meh, it's only 60 million dollars. I'm used to billions or trillions being siphoned away. It's the same in this sense. I'm used to reading about the governments that were overthrown or the people assassinated on whim. The AG saying they could assassinate an American on our soil in certain circumstances just doesn't surprise me.

The Gold Standard
03-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Not really. Is someone surprised by this?

Philhelm
03-05-2013, 06:36 PM
What is lawful is for United States citizens to use military force against unlawful representatives under extraordinary circumstances.

Brian4Liberty
03-05-2013, 06:57 PM

You need look no further than Syria for a current, real world example. Bashar al-Assad agrees with Eric Holder and Barrack Obama. Gaddafi, Saddam and Uncle Joe Stalin agree from the grave.

Rudeman
03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
It's probably that a lot of people here did not need to be told that the president feels he could assassinate Americans on US soil without consequence. It's news. But not new news. I knew the answer to this question after Al Awlaki. Here, there, what's the difference? American citizens are killed without due process and no one cares. Seeing the trends I know it is only a matter of time. I'm kind of surprised Dorner wasn't 'liberated' out of that cabin.

I was listening to one of local radio stations during the Dorner in the cabin stuff and someone called in saying that they should just bomb the cabin with a drone to get it over with. Imagine how surprised I was to find out that the caller was in law enforcement.

kcchiefs6465
03-05-2013, 07:36 PM
I was listening to one of local radio stations during the Dorner in the cabin stuff and someone called in saying that they should just bomb the cabin with a drone to get it over with. Imagine how surprised I was to find out that the caller was in law enforcement.
I'd be more surprised if some civilians didn't think the same way. They surely wouldn't have cared for long about the precedents established. I mean, let's be realistic, they purposely lit the cabin on fire; No one cares. It's rather depressing actually. A few more years of televised bullshit and a few more erosions of the 4th and I'd bet my last dollar [a real silver dollar, not that funny money bullshit I'll probably end up wiping my ass with] that it will happen, and no one will care. People will be more fearful to actually speak out against it for fear that they themselves will be labeled a domestic terrorist or radical and put on some FISA court docket or presidential flash card. I'll put it like this, it's a rainy day today. Forecasts speak of a hail storm coming. After that, it will be a hurricane, of sorts.

HOLLYWOOD
03-05-2013, 07:36 PM
they define "extraordinary circumstances as"

Absolute power... government will declare anything and everything as "extraordinary circumstance" and their public relations firms aka Propaganda Centers of Corporate Media will push that agenda.

ahhhh, good old Robert A. Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers' ...complete Fascist Nationalism dictated daily.

kcchiefs6465
03-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Absolute power... government will declare anything and everything an "extraordinary circumstance"
They could, yes. I would imagine a financial collapse, wide spread looting and riots is an extraordinary circumstance.

V3n
03-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Eat, drink, and be merry.. for tomorrow we may be drone-killed with absolutely no trial and no evidence, for nothing but our Emperor's whim.. Cheers!

(what's the way off this island??)

sailingaway
03-05-2013, 09:29 PM
some people are trying to get #extraordinaryDroneCircumstance trending on twitter but so far it isn't taking off. https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ExtraordinaryDroneCircumstance&src=hash

Or it DID and was removed which also has seemed to happen in the past.

Origanalist
03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Is it time yet?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsNtay6D3nHh_MM-vpvpzSczYhph2lsV7WrACvInWAqOReBcQl
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP1mM97VAb29RM6VyNbNvJg9B3uJ38m gttztqvfdqz4Z8gygbcuA

It's been that time for a long time. Will we ever get there? Heh.

Anti Federalist
03-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Chavez...or O-bomb-ya?

In fact, President _____ was a pioneer and one of the most adroit practitioners of a political strategy that became common after the Cold War in many countries that political scientists call competitive authoritarian regimes. These are regimes where leaders gain power through democratic elections and then change the constitution and other laws to weaken checks and balances on the executive, thus ensuring the regime’s continuity and its almost total autonomy while still retaining a patina of democratic legitimacy.

jct74
03-06-2013, 03:09 AM
THEBLAZE DRONE POLL – WHERE DO YOU STAND ON THE SUBJECT OF DRONES AT HOME AND ABROAD?
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/05/theblaze-drone-poll-where-do-you-stand-on-the-subject-of-drones-at-home-and-abroad/

A Son of Liberty
03-06-2013, 05:21 AM
2,700 DHS amored personnel carriers...
2 billion rounds of ammo ordered by DHS...
DHS targets depicting citizens including pregnant women and children...
DHS detention facilities...
Grants to local law enforcement agencies including Bearcats and full-auto rifles...
Local police and military joint training exercises in major American cities...
Dramatic rise in the number of police para-military units...
Legislation for the use of drones over America...UPDATE: For purposes other than surveillance including a strike against a "threat" on American soil.
Efforts to curtail the second amendment of citizens and particularly ex-military...

The hammer is coming.

+rep What will it take for people to finally see what's going on?

Origanalist
03-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Eat, drink, and be merry.. for tomorrow we may be drone-killed with absolutely no trial and no evidence, for nothing but our Emperor's whim.. Cheers!

(what's the way off this island??)

It's provided by the state......

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4800112178889151&pid=15.1

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4945664273615349&pid=15.1

A Son of Liberty
03-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Thinking a little more about this, I wonder if most or even just many people realize that there are some limits on the power the president actually has, and particularly on his ability to, you know, just kill whoever he wants.

I suspect that this piece of news will garner very little attention. I think a LOT of people think the president can do this if he sees fit. In fact, when it does finally happen, I think it will be met with one big 'meh'.

rubioneocon
03-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Rand was clear in the Hannity radio spot last night where he stands on this issue.

BlackJack
03-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Citizens need to acquire their own black market gear.

Prepare for a modern, more brutal civil war.

Bruehound
03-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Thinking a little more about this, I wonder if most or even just many people realize that there are some limits on the power the president actually has, and particularly on his ability to, you know, just kill whoever he wants.

I suspect that this piece of news will garner very little attention. I think a LOT of people think the president can do this if he sees fit. In fact, when it does finally happen, I think it will be met with one big 'meh'.

I blame the TV series "24" for pre-conditioning.

Brian4Liberty
03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
I blame the TV series "24" for pre-conditioning.

Hollywood loves their propaganda and subtle conditioning.