PDA

View Full Version : Tens of thousands of drones already in the US

Mani
03-05-2013, 10:38 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/hollywood-kansas-drones-flying-under-radar-150612071.html

Sorry I can't copy paste the whole article, only the link......the article refers to even hobby like remote planes as drones....

It seemed like they are trying to make you feel it's no big deal....hey it's for NFL games and national geographic footage!!!

dannno
03-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Well that's fucked up.

shane77m
03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
From the article.

Drones may also be vulnerable to hacking.

Last summer, Department of Homeland Security officials challenged Texas aerospace engineering professor Todd Humphreys and his class to try to "spoof" a DHS drone's GPS system.

GPS "spoofing" is a technique by which a vehicle's GPS receiver can be tricked and taken over by a slightly more powerful signal that mimics the attributes of the original signal - essentially an airborne hack.

Humphreys and his students succeeded in hacking the drone and took control of its flight path.

If a college class "can spoof the GPS, what can other nation states or terrorist groups do?" Representative Paul Broun (R-Ga.) asked at a recent congressional hearing on domestic drones.

SeanTX
03-05-2013, 12:00 PM
I heard something on the news earlier about an airline pilot calling in a near collision with a drone, I think maybe in the NYC area. They tried to pass it off as being a hobbyist-type remote-controlled helicopter, but the pilot called it a "drone." It's just a matter of time before something bad happens involving drones and general aviation.

The Northbreather
03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
good comments

sagebrsh
sagebrsh • 2 days 2 hrs ago

Spy cams, no matter how you sugar coat them.

ed
ed 1 day 3 hrs ago

Necessity is the mother of invention.
I believe that privacy is a necessity.
With a little effort I am sure we can find solutions for this invasion
on our privacy.

More
Witness
Witness • 2 days 2 hrs ago

I'm gonna take Joe Biden's advise and fire off a few shotgun rounds into the air.

william 1
william 1 • 2 days 2 hrs ago

looks like there going to be another use for that goose gun

libertygrl
03-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Last night it was reported that a drone was over JFK airport. At first the announcer said it was a "mysterious" aircraft before going to commercial. I immediately said to myself I bet it was a drone. And I was sadly, right.

Here's some reports:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdZ9kEuVBAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKo1WEJHTX0

On Monday, an Alitalia pilot reported seeing a mysterious black drone flying above New York near JFK International Airport, which is one of the busiest in the world. Minutes later, another unidentified pilot reported a similar sighting of a black unmanned aircraft. The incident was first reported by ABC News.

Government officials are currently launching a multi-agency preliminary investigation which includes the Federal Aviation Administration and the FBI. The Joint Terror Task Force is also looking into the matter to see whether there are any travel or homeland security threats and risks.

The Alitalia pilot said he spotted a black drone 1,500 feet above ground near JFK International. In a statement, the FAA said that the pilot saw a "small, unmanned or remote-controlled aircraft" on final approach heading towards the runway at JFK. The Alitalia plane was on final approach about 1:15 p.m. when its pilot spotted the mysterious black drone about four to five miles southeast of the airport.

On Monday, an Alitalia pilot reported seeing a mysterious black drone flying above New York near JFK International Airport.

In a radio communication with the tower controller, the pilot said:

We saw a drone, an aircraft.

The pilot made the statement as he was making the final approach on one of JFK's runways. Soon after receiving the information, air traffic controllers shared the drone sighting with other inbound planes as a safety precaution:

Report of a drone aircraft; five-mile final; 1,500 feet. Use caution. Runway 3-1 right, cleared to land.

Other pilots operating aircraft in the New York skies responded to the tower warning by looking out for the mysterious drone. One Jet Blue pilot responded:

Clear to land. We'll look for the drone. We're slowing to 180 knots. Jet Blue 906.

However, the federal government has not released further information including where the drone headed after closing in on the runway. As of Tuesday, it is unclear whether the drone is a classified military or surveillance vehicle that needed to make an emergency landing.

Within the past year, the FAA has issued more guidelines on the use of domestic, police, surveillance remote-operated drones over U.S. airspace. However, some civil liberty groups are opposing plans that could infringe on Americans' right to privacy and improper search (through stealth domestic surveillance).

h ttp://www.examiner.com/article/pilot-reports-mysterious-drone-near-jfk-airport-new-york

Zippyjuan
03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
the article refers to even hobby like remote planes as drones....

Makes it much easier to inflate the numbers.

The (misleading) headline makes it sound like swarms of armed government controlled spy drones are circling above all of our cities and homes.

Keith and stuff
03-05-2013, 01:45 PM
This is true. As a kid I played with drones. I'm sure millions of kids have played with drones.

Zippyjuan
03-06-2013, 01:28 PM
The JFK drone is now believed to be some personal drone. It was described as about three feet across.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-drone-jfk-airport-20130305,0,6890489.story

Reported drone near JFK probably a model aircraft, officials say

By Richard A. Serrano
March 5, 2013, 4:20 p.m.

WASHINGTON—Federal officials believe a small aircraft that reportedly looked like a drone and flew close to a landing airliner at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York was probably a model aircraft sent aloft from Long Island.

Whatever the object, the FBI and the Federal Aviation Administration issued a public alert Tuesday seeking assistance in identifying the operator and the aircraft, which a nearby pilot described as “black in color and no more than 3 feet wide with four propellers.”

It was spotted about 1:15 p.m. Monday by the pilot of Alitalia Flight 608 as it approached runway 31R at JFK. The pilot radioed, “We saw a drone, a drone aircraft!” He said the aircraft had an altitude of about 1,500 feet and was about three miles from his plane. That would put it well past the 400-foot height restriction and far too close to the airport.

Law enforcement officials speculate that the craft had drifted off, or the operator lost control somewhere along the south shore of Long Island, and it wafted toward the airport, one of the nation’s busiest for international flights.

“Our paramount concern is the safety of aircraft passengers and crew,” said John Giacalone, the FBI’s special agent-in-charge in New York.

At the FAA in Washington, the immediate worry was a breach of airspace.

“Regardless of whether you’re operating as a public agency or a person flying a model aircraft for recreational purposes, you always have to give way to any other aircraft in the vicinity,” said Les Dorr, an FAA spokesman. “You’re not supposed to be flying over a major airport.”

Because no flight plan was filed with the air traffic tower at JFK, authorities believe it probably was sent up by a hobbyist flying a remote-controlled aircraft. “We’ve got no reason not to believe the Alitalia pilot that it was a drone," one FBI agent said.

idiom
03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
On the upside, UFO reports are now through the roof.

Anti Federalist
03-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Real.

http://cairnarvon.rotahall.org/pics/secure.jpg

So is this:

"Oversight with Hollerith punched cards."

Yes, an IBM subsidiary supplied puch card data machines, yes they collected and tabulated information about German (and other) citizens and yes, that information was later used in rounding up people for death camps.

http://eideard.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/secure_beneath_watchful_eyes_london_metro_station. png