PDA

View Full Version : krugman to debate scarborough on charlie rose tonight

ronaldo23
03-04-2013, 07:46 PM
not that scarborough is a great advocate for liberty, but he has given reasonably favorable coverage to Rand/Ron in recent years (he even voted for Ron Paul this November). He has also been owning krugman lately in a series of politico editorials about krugman's ridiculous ideas that deficits/debt doesn't matter. Moreover, krugman is already complaining on his blog that he performed poorly in the debate, so it's always fun to watch him get owned

"I feel that I just had my Denver debate moment: I was tired, cranky, and unready for the blizzard of misleading factoids and diversionary stuff. Oh, and I wasn’t prepared for Joe Scarborough’s slipperiness about what he actually advocates."

Brett85
03-04-2013, 08:15 PM
I didn't figure that Scarborough and Krugman had enough differences on the issues to have much of a debate.

anaconda
03-04-2013, 08:30 PM

anaconda
03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
The few times I've heard Krugman on T.V. he just doesn't sound very sophisticated. Is it just me?

emazur
03-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Scarborough can be an ally (and when he's good, he's good) but is somewhat bipolar on his positions and Krugman constantly says absurd things but when cornered is a master of weaseling out b/c he laces his positions with weasel words. I've NEVER seen him debate anyone as he seems quite content to snipe free market advocates from his academic ivory tower so this could be interesting. PBS in my area doesn't broadcast Charlie Rose so I'll have to watch it when it's uploaded to the website.

thoughtomator
03-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Word has it that Krugman got spanked... again.

Brett85
03-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Scarborough can be an ally (and when he's good, he's good) but is somewhat bipolar on his positions and Krugman constantly says absurd things but when cornered is a master of weaseling out b/c he laces his positions with weasel words. I've NEVER seen him debate anyone as he seems quite content to snipe free market advocates from his academic ivory tower so this could be interesting. PBS in my area doesn't broadcast Charlie Rose so I'll have to watch it when it's uploaded to the website.

I lost all respect for Scarborough after he came out in favor of the ban on "assault weapons." You can't call yourself a conservative if you don't believe that people even have the right to defend themselves.

McChronagle
03-04-2013, 09:21 PM
will this be streamed?

ronaldo23
03-04-2013, 09:30 PM
I lost all respect for Scarborough after he came out in favor of the ban on "assault weapons." You can't call yourself a conservative if you don't believe that people even have the right to defend themselves.

maybe, but on fiscal issues hes better than most MSM personalities. I personally would rather have Scarborough in my corner than Glenn Beck, despite his seemingly growing popularity in the Rand Paul forums

trey4sports
03-04-2013, 09:34 PM
no one is perfect.

Joe is much better than most GOP figures.

Brett85
03-04-2013, 09:39 PM
I personally would rather have Scarborough in my corner than Glenn Beck, despite his seemingly growing popularity in the Rand Paul forums

Not me. As many mistakes as Beck has made in the past, he at least isn't a gun grabber like Scarborough. Beck at least has some understanding of the Constitution.

green73
03-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Piece of shit won't debate Bob Murphy for $100K for the homeless but will Joe "I don't know how that girl ended up dead in my congressional office, but will do whatever the establishment tells me to forget about it" Scarborough.

green73
03-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Wenzel:

HOT: Did Krugman Just Get Totally Destroyed in a Debate? (http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2013/03/hot-did-krugman-just-get-totally.html)

green73
03-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Thanks for using caps, OP.

At least act like you give a shit.

XTreat
03-05-2013, 06:04 AM
No wonder he won't debate Bob Murphy.

green73
03-05-2013, 08:22 AM
What really came out in the debate is that Joe Scarborough is as Keynesian as Paul Krugman.

At one point, Scarborough said he'd be willing to provide up to $200 billion in infrastructure spending. He also tried to make the point that he was not worried about short-term deficits, but rather long-term debt. His one area of concern seemed to be medicare and social security, but even on this point he didn't understand the issue correctly. He seemed to think the SS problem is at least a decade down the road, when the SS fund is already cash flow negative and will be seriously so within just a couple of years.

Scarborough maintained a Keynesian macro framework right into his closing remarks, which implied there is a role for government in "growing" the economy:

We can grow the economy in the short run, we can also do what's responsible for our children and for our grandchildren, which is be concerned about the long-term debt. That seems pretty damn rational to me.

There are many ways to prick holes in Krugman's argument, but Scarborough didn't come close.

http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2013/03/recap-scarborough-v-krugman.html

Zippyjuan
03-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Scarborough kept avoiding questions in the debate. He kept trying to talk about Krugman instead.

surf
03-05-2013, 01:06 PM
toob?

Bastiat's The Law
03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei0r6MBeV7Q