PDA

View Full Version : Indiana State Senate Votes for Constitutional Convention

clint4liberty
03-03-2013, 06:57 PM
This bill is one of the biggest threats in the United States of America. We must urge our Indiana citizens and residents to stand up against a Constitutional Convention or Article V Constitution Convention. Once a Con Con is called by thirty four states, we are done as a nation. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/indiana-senate-calls-for-u-s-constitutional-convention/article_c3d1c52b-9147-5be8-833f-ada7688c9f56.html

thoughtomator
03-03-2013, 06:58 PM
We're already pretty much done as a nation and the existing Constitution has been subverted and interpreted into its opposite in pretty much every way imaginable.

oyarde
03-03-2013, 07:19 PM
This bill is one of the biggest threats in the United States of America. We must urge our Indiana citizens and residents to stand up against a Constitutional Convention or Article V Constitution Convention. Once a Con Con is called by thirty four states, we are done as a nation. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/indiana-senate-calls-for-u-s-constitutional-convention/article_c3d1c52b-9147-5be8-833f-ada7688c9f56.html

The intent behind this is a good thing , what are your fears ?

oyarde
03-03-2013, 07:22 PM
What other 33 States could get this through the Senate ??

sailingaway
03-03-2013, 07:34 PM
What other 33 States could get this through the Senate ??

many already have, some have then 'rescinded it' but some argue you 'can't rescind it'. The number is pretty close, in that case.

ClydeCoulter
03-03-2013, 08:10 PM

It can't be controlled. Once called, it cannot be limited to one or a set of predifined amendments.

oyarde
03-03-2013, 08:17 PM
It can't be controlled. Once called, it cannot be limited to one or a set of predifined amendments.

That is true , but because of the required vote , I doubt anything could ever pass ??

ClydeCoulter
03-03-2013, 08:19 PM
That is true , but because of the required vote , I doubt anything could ever pass ??

Obamacare passed, didn't it?
If you can't get states to nullify, how will you stop ratification of anything the fed wants?
Compromise would destroy the document. (not you personally, compromise (member):))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_4ZZRj1nnE

oyarde
03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Obamacare would never get that percentage of vote..... ( ? )

ghengis86
03-03-2013, 09:29 PM

they can't follow the current constitution; its a pretty good document. I'd like to get them to follow that first and if not, well....

Zippyjuan
03-03-2013, 09:38 PM

True but every proposed amendment (which is what a Con Con does- proposes new amendments) must then be aproved by two thirds of the states before they can take effect. In these times, getting two thirds to agree on anything is very difficult.

oyarde
03-03-2013, 09:39 PM
they can't follow the current constitution; its a pretty good document. I'd like to get them to follow that first and if not, well.... Yeah , me too.

oyarde
03-03-2013, 09:40 PM
True but every proposed amendment (which is what a Con Con does- proposes new amendments) must then be aproved by two thirds of the states before they can take effect. In these times, getting two thirds to agree on anything is very difficult.

I do not think it could be done.I imagine it may be being viewed as a tool by the States to make valid points.

TCE
03-03-2013, 09:46 PM
The argument against a Con Con is that last time one was called, the documenting they were editing, the Articles of Confederation, was essentially torn up and a new document, the Constitution, was what replaced it.

In these times, however, does anyone truly think anything would be agreed to? I can't imagine more than 30 states agreeing on an amendment. That would require both red and blue states to agree. Additionally, if a Con Con is called, how long do you think it would take to pass new amendments? Probably a pretty long time. Too long for it to matter, anyway. The earliest a convention would probably be called is 2014, and that is, in all likelihood, way too soon. It's a non-issue at this point.