PDA

View Full Version : Dad jailed for online criticism of family court judge..

tod evans
03-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Conservatives, liberals, media advocates rally behind man jailed for criticizing Indiana judge

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/03/conservatives-liberals-media-advocates-rally-behind-man-jailed-for-criticizing/

A group of free-speech advocates is rallying behind an Indiana inmate serving two years for his online rants against a judge who took away his child-custody rights during a divorce case.
There’s no disputing that Daniel Brewington’s words were strong and angry -- found in hundreds of emails over the course of the related, two-year divorce case.
But the group is asking the state’s highest court to decide whether they indeed amounted to criminal behavior.
Brewington was convicted in 2011 of perjury, intimidating a judge and attempting to obstruct justice -- with the attorney general’s office successfully arguing that his threat was to expose the judge to “hatred, contempt, disgrace or ridicule."
However, the group recently filed an amicus brief with the state Supreme Court arguing an appeals court decision in January upholding the felony intimidation charge threatens constitutionally protected speech about public officials.
The court will decide after the March 11 filing deadline on whether to take up the case.
The appeals court argued that some of Brewington’s claims against Judge James D. Humphrey were false. It also argued their truthfulness were not necessarily relevant to prosecution because the harm, which in this case was striking fear in the victim, occurred “whether the publicized conduct is true or false,” according to Reason magazine.
The group is led by University of California Los Angeles law professor Eugene Volokh and includes conservative lawyer James Bopp, a former executive director of the Indiana Civil Liberties Union, the Indiana Association of Scholars, The Indianapolis Star and the James Madison Center for Free Speech.
Volokh wrote in the brief that the appeals court decision “endangers the free speech rights of journalists, policy advocates, politicians and ordinary citizens.”
In his rants, Brewington called the judge a “child abuser” and “corrupt” and accused him of unethical or illegal behavior.
He argued that Humphrey taking away his children amounted to child abuse.
Humphrey said he could not comment on the case. But court records purportedly show he felt threatened enough to get a gun out of storage, install a home-security system and get protection from a police detail.
The Star said the group is not interested in the “minutia” of the 2007 divorce case and custody fight. It is instead focused on a broader issue: “A belief that Indiana’s intimidation law -- particularly as interpreted by the Court of Appeals in Brewington’s case -- violates the First Amendment.”
Brewington's attorney Michael K. Sutherlin said his client may not have had “the rhetorical skill of Thomas Paine but like 18th-century pamphleteers, he used a popular forum of expression in his time (here, the Internet) to complain about unfair treatment by an oppressive system.”

Criticize a Judge (or Anyone Else), Go to Jail?

http://reason.com/blog/2013/02/25/criticize-a-judge-or-anyone-else-go-to-j

Daniel Brewington was not happy with the way that Dearborn County, Indiana, Judge James D. Humphrey handled his divorce case, during which he lost custody of his children, and he explained why at length in various strongly worded online commentaries. Largely as a result of those posts, Brewington is serving a two-year sentence at the Putnamville Correctional Facility for intimidation, attempted obstruction of justice, and perjury. The punishment Brewington received for condemning Humphrey's actions has attracted criticism from a wide range of First Amendment advocates, including UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh, conservative lawyer James Bopp, a former executive director of the Indiana Civil Liberties Union, the Indiana Association of Scholars, The Indianapolis Star, and the James Madison Center for Free Speech. In an amicus brief filed the week before last, they urge the Indiana Supreme Court to overturn Brewington's conviction for intimidating Humphrey, arguing that the provision under which he was convicted, as interpreted by a state appeals court, threatens constitutionally protected speech about the official acts of public officials.

Dearborn County Sheriff's DepartmentThe intimidation charge related to Brewington's comments about Humphrey, which was treated as a felony because it involved a judicial officer, was based on the allegation that he "communicated to another person a threat with the intent that the other person be placed in fear of retaliation for a prior lawful act." The threat in this case was that Brewington would "expose the person threatened to hatred, contempt, disgrace, or ridicule." Upholding Brewington's conviction on this count, the Indiana Court of Appeals ruled last month that "the truthfulness of the threatened disclosure is not necessarily relevant to prosecution because the harm, placing a victim in fear, occurs whether the publicized conduct is true or false." It added that some of Brewington's statements about Humphrey were demonstrably false. "Over the course of at least a year," the court said, "Brewington repeatedly called Judge Humphrey a 'child abuser.'...Brewington also called Judge Humphrey 'corrupt'...and accused him of engaging in 'unethical/illegal behavior.'"

It is not clear to me that, as the appeals court claimed, Brewington's comments "went well beyond hyperbole and were capable of being proven true or false." As Brewington explained, he believed Humphrey's custody decision, which was coupled with restrictions on Brewington's visitation rights, was tantamount to child abuse. That claim and the accusations of "corrupt" or "unethical" behavior seem like expressions of opinion to me. In any case, the appeals court made it clear that for purposes of the intimidation charge it did not matter whether what Brewington said was true. It rejected Brewington's argument that his speech was protected by the First Amendment, saying "the conduct that is criminalized here, communicating a threat to a victim to place the victim in fear of retaliation for a prior lawful act, necessarily falls outside the realm of protected criticism of government decisions due to the requirement of criminal intent"—i.e., an intent to "place the victim in fear." As Volokh points out in the amicus brief, this reading of the law suggests that prosecution would be appropriate in situations like these:

1. a columnist’s writing, "Legislator A’s vote on issue B is ridiculous, and I intend to ridicule him until his constituents view him with contempt";

2. an advocacy group's picketing a store with signs saying, "The store owner's decision to stock product C is disgraceful, and we hope our speech will expose the owner to disgrace and ostracism";

3. a politician’s saying, "The incumbent’s decision D is so foolish that, once I publicize it, the incumbent will be the laughingstock of the state."

Under the appeals court's interpretation of the statute, all that's necessary for a conviction is an explicit or implied threat of speech aimed at portraying the "victim" in a negative light. It is not hard to see why Volokh concludes that the appeals court's decision "endangers the free speech rights of journalists, policy advocates, politicians, and ordinary citizens."

More on Brewington's case here.

[Thanks to Nicolas Martin for the tip.]

bolil
03-03-2013, 07:05 AM
And the bars subsist. Hmmm,

unknown
03-03-2013, 07:10 AM
The law itself makes me feel "threatened" and "fearful", can I have the State arrested?

bolil
03-03-2013, 07:14 AM
The law itself makes me feel "threatened" and "fearful", can I have the State arrested?
Dear comrade, the state exists to protect you.

otherone
03-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Were there any actual threats made? Or were charges filed based solely on the reaction of the "victim"? It seems more and more that the power of the state is a fine line held in place by the bullying of individual judges. This is why, IMO, the Liberty Movement is best served making jurors aware of the constitutionally-protected power of nullification, and that judge's "instructions" are BULLSHIT. It's time the people started judging the system and it's effed-up laws...on a case-by-case basis.

tod evans
03-03-2013, 07:49 AM
I for one would love to see every child custody case heard by a jury not just criminal cases....

Jerk the power away from judges and lawyers and place it where it belongs in the citizenry..

Were there any actual threats made? Or were charges filed based solely on the reaction of the "victim"? It seems more and more that the power of the state is a fine line held in place by the bullying of individual judges. This is why, IMO, the Liberty Movement is best served making jurors aware of the constitutionally-protected power of nullification, and that judge's "instructions" are BULLSHIT. It's time the people started judging the system and it's effed-up laws...on a case-by-case basis.

RockEnds
03-03-2013, 07:52 AM
I for one would love to see every child custody case heard by a jury not just criminal cases....

Jerk the power away from judges and lawyers and place it where it belongs in the citizenry..

Yes, that. And rip the veil of secrecy from the juvenile court.

Origanalist
03-03-2013, 07:55 AM

How long before they start throwing juror's? in jail for disregarding the judges instructions?

tod evans
03-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Yes, that. And rip the veil of secrecy from the juvenile court.

But, but, we're supposed to rely on our betters to protect the children and safeguard our rights...

Trust and believe in government officials. :mad:

otherone
03-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Speaking of having one's head up one's ass; I wonder how many restraining orders Commissar Humphrey signed based purely on a person' "feeling" threatened, vs. being "actually" threatened. Family court is a perfect example of an over-reaching state. When people believe it's the state's job to protect them from "fear", Liberty vanishes.
The "Patriot Act" occurs in every court everyday in this country. The people bend over willingly; how can the state refrain from shoving it in...we're begging for it.

otherone
03-03-2013, 07:58 AM
How long before they start throwing juror's? in jail for disregarding the judges instructions?

Good ol' reliable catch-all "contempt of court".
Some animals are more equal than others.

satchelmcqueen
03-03-2013, 09:22 AM
me to. search my threads and youll see that i am also on the hook (possibly) because my ex wife is claiming things about me to a judge as to why my almost 18 and 17 yr old wont see her. i of course have submitted evidence proving every words she says as a lie. so far, over 1 year later i have yet been able to speak one word.

the kids have been forced into counseling with the ex, to which she yelled and screamed at them for 2 months. she has no proof ive ever interfered. but the kids did record her screaming at them a few months ago. kids have said if the judge continues this after the next court appearance that they will post all their recordings online.

i wonder if ill get jailed for that? i bet i do. theyre sick of their mom using a sympathetic judge to allow her to continue abusing them. we are hoping the judge will listen to the recordings but i bet she wont and will just say i was eaves dropping. itll be my fault i bet, even though i didnt tell them to record her, nor have i listened to the recordings. they just want protection and an honest case as we all do in this country when accused of something. the system backs the innocent into a corner and then uses "the judges discretion" to jail them in the end.

ghengis86
03-03-2013, 09:31 AM
me to. search my threads and youll see that i am also on the hook (possibly) because my ex wife is claiming things about me to a judge as to why my almost 18 and 17 yr old wont see her. i of course have submitted evidence proving every words she says as a lie. so far, over 1 year later i have yet been able to speak one word.

the kids have been forced into counseling with the ex, to which she yelled and screamed at them for 2 months. she has no proof ive ever interfered. but the kids did record her screaming at them a few months ago. kids have said if the judge continues this after the next court appearance that they will post all their recordings online.

i wonder if ill get jailed for that? i bet i do. theyre sick of their mom using a sympathetic judge to allow her to continue abusing them. we are hoping the judge will listen to the recordings but i bet she wont and will just say i was eaves dropping. itll be my fault i bet, even though i didnt tell them to record her, nor have i listened to the recordings. they just want protection and an honest case as we all do in this country when accused of something. the system backs the innocent into a corner and then uses "the judges discretion" to jail them in the end.

yeah, might want to check your states wire tapping laws and confidentiality law regarding the sessions with the counselor....

back on topic...standard bullshit taken to the next level. i despise the state...

BAllen
03-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Of course. The attack on males continues. Speaking against a judge and a woman (his wife) is hate speech.

Origanalist
03-03-2013, 10:05 AM

My X was a piece of work too, I'm glad they are grown and adults now. I was afraid to even try for divorce until they were, even though I had the kids. The whole system stinks, and invites reaction.

satchelmcqueen
03-03-2013, 11:51 AM
details i lack here lol.

no not the counselor, they recorded their visitation meetings they had with HER (in a park) after the counselor told the judge twice that he was done with this, that it was doing no good to continue. see it was pretty much they either "volunteer" to see her again or the judge was almost certain to force them into doing it anyway. so at the advice of the counselor and lawyer they decided to see her a few times at the park to see if they could work things out. after a few months of being yelled at by her and abused mentally from what they were telling me, they told her they werent coming back and that they were done with her.

so, that was the end of fall. court is set for march 28....
yeah, might want to check your states wire tapping laws and confidentiality law regarding the sessions with the counselor....

back on topic...standard bullshit taken to the next level. i despise the state...

ClydeCoulter
03-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Sorry for your childrens position, satchelmcqueen. My children had to endure their mothers rants against me when they visited her. Every time, my girls would call and beg me, crying, to change the plane tickets and bring them home now. She usually waited until the last couple of days of their visit to pound on them. It was miserable for the whole family.

LibertyEagle
03-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Just wow. :(

robert9712000
03-03-2013, 01:35 PM
So ,since when is slandering someone a form of threatening him ? Does the threat have to be physical or is it illegal to threaten to expose a judge or politician as corrupt.I need more info here.Did he threaten to physically harm the judge?

tmg19103
03-03-2013, 01:41 PM
You can't say anything except that this is corrupt judges on an appeals court protecting a fellow corrupt judge.

The law is so blatantly overly broad and vague that on its face it is unconstitutional under the 1A.

They are punishing this guy because he is exercising his right to petition the government. He never made what is known as a "true threat" - one of violence or to harm.

All other speech against government officials is protected under the 1A. It is so blatantly obvious in this case that what the appeals court is trying to do is chill free speech in that state so nobody dares question the ruling of a judge. This is a bunch of corrupt judges in cahoots to violate rights and intimidate citizens - while they of course violate their oath of office.

tod evans
03-03-2013, 02:43 PM
So ,since when is slandering someone a form of threatening him ? Does the threat have to be physical or is it illegal to threaten to expose a judge or politician as corrupt.I need more info here.Did he threaten to physically harm the judge?

http://danbrewington.blogspot.com/

DamianTV
03-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Wins Thread!

+Rep!

RickyJ
03-03-2013, 04:37 PM
If this Judge wasn't in danger before, you can bet he is in some real danger now. When this guy gets out, the Judge better be in hiding.

green73
03-03-2013, 04:37 PM
i despise the state...

Congratulations. You're a libertarian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACoymMYx8E0

Anti Federalist
03-03-2013, 05:15 PM

Give us time, Mundane, give us time.