PDA

View Full Version : man reports car stolen 21 times in 13 years to avoid traffic camera fines

aGameOfThrones
03-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Nobody likes paying traffic fines, but few have had the gumption to avoid them so thoroughly as Mario Hili. The 64-year-old Australian man came up with an ingenious method of fooling police into canceling any fines against him by reporting his car stolen. Logically, if the car hadn't been in his possession when cameras snapped photos of its license plate, he couldn't have been behind the wheel, and therefore whatever infraction its driver was guilty of couldn't have been his doing but that of the thief.

Except that he was lying. According to the Geelong Advertiser, Hili was caught fibbing about the frequent theft of his car after reporting it stolen for the 21st time in 13 years. To his credit, we suppose, Hili fessed up to his crimes after being caught, pleading guilty to seven counts of obtaining financial advantage by deception and three counts of making a false document.

A judge convicted Hili and fined him 2,500 Australian dollars, though it's worth noting that no demerits were added to his license

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/02/aussie-man-reports-car-stolen-21-times-in-13-years-to-avoid-traf/

unknown
03-03-2013, 06:52 AM
My man was on a roll.

Smart3
03-03-2013, 09:03 AM
2500 AUD? Was that the fine or what he didn't pay over the years? Sounds like such a low fine.

acptulsa
03-03-2013, 10:29 AM
2500 AUD? Was that the fine or what he didn't pay over the years? Sounds like such a low fine.

Doesn't matter much. Factor in the insurance rate hikes he didn't get and he came out way ahead.

ghengis86
03-03-2013, 11:04 AM
in illinois, they ticket the title holder of the vehicle so it matters not who's driving (can't use the 'it wasn't me' excuse)

fucking fascist state...

oyarde
03-03-2013, 11:30 AM
He should have only confessed to the one :) Lol,I say to the Judge , if you did not figure it out the first 20 times , a fine of only $100 is in order.$2500 is excessive.

gwax23
03-03-2013, 12:16 PM
I hate those fucking red light/speed cameras. But man this guy is a genius. Too bad he got caught though.

oyarde
03-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Doesn't matter much. Factor in the insurance rate hikes he didn't get and he came out way ahead.

Yes , his insurance increase would surely have been greater than $2500 over that time span , or even a small portion of it ( US and Australian dollar are about same value).