PDA

View Full Version : Google owns the world (Rant), suspended my youtube account profile

nobody's_hero
03-02-2013, 04:36 PM
So, I log into my youtube account and this is the message I get:

Your profile has been suspended.

It appears that the name you entered does not comply with the Google+ Names Policy.

The Names Policy requires that you use the name that you are commonly referred to in real life in your profile. Nicknames, previous names, and so on, should be entered in the Other Names section of the profile. Profiles are limited to individuals; use Google+ Pages for businesses and other entities.

Your profile will be suspended until you edit your name to comply with the Names Policy or appeal with additional information. You will not be able to make full use of Google services that require an active profile, such as Google+, Buzz, Reader and Picasa. This will not prevent you from using other Google services, like Gmail.

We understand that Google+ and its Names Policy may not be for everyone at this time. We'd be sad to see you go, but if you do choose to leave, make a copy of your Google+ data first. Then, click here to disable Google+.

I put this in general politics because I'm highly suspicious that the government is behind ending internet anonymity so they can keep tabs on everyone.

Maybe I pissed google off because when I finally gave in and entered my real name (not like I have much option, they took away the 'remind me later' option that I just kept clicking, so it's pretty much manditory), I chose:

Iwontuse MyRealname

So now they've suspended my youtube account. Whatever. I just hope some other company will come knock google out of the running before no one can take a shit without their consent.

VoluntaryAmerican
03-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I just hope some other company will come knock google out of the running before no one can take a shit without their consent.

You could use metacafe.com or dailymotion.com instead of Youtube.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-02-2013, 04:44 PM
You could use metacafe.com or dailymotion.com instead of Youtube.

Yeah, though if either of those sites really took off and challenged YouTube, Google would just buy them. YouTube had Google Video beat, if you'll recall.

Why not simply make up a fake name that sounds plausible?

nobody's_hero
03-02-2013, 04:44 PM
I sent them a message in feedback:

"your name policy sucks. I will not be using your products anymore."

If you never hear from me again, it's because Google must have bought the justice department as well.

nobody's_hero
03-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Yeah, though if either of those sites really took off and challenged YouTube, Google would just buy them. YouTube had Google Video beat, if you'll recall.

I feel as bad for the ****ing retards that sell out a hot product to get quick payoffs. I know that's the free market, blah blah blah, but if I ever create something as popular as youtube or facebook, you'd bet your ass that I won't be selling it off to some corporate giant. I'll stick with it and then I'll buy the corporate giant, lol.

These industry giants get involved and fuck up a product simply because they put more emphasis on distribution than quality.

I thought about it, but they're on to me now. I guess I'll have to send in a driver's license, fingerprints, social security card, credit card, birth certificate, and a vial of DNA if I ever want them to reverse the suspension.

I long for a simpler time when the lack of technology made it much more difficult for those in power to control people.

I'm "throwing it in the woods".

libertyjam
03-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Exactly why I will never use Google+

opal
03-02-2013, 05:00 PM
ruh roh.. I guess I have not logged in there in a while. As I recall, I registered with the name Whataloadofcraptohavetolinkaccounts I think they shortened it to whataloadofcrap

nobody's_hero
03-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Here's an article I found on the name's policy, pretty decent write up by a guy who apparently gave in and used his real name on google+, lol.

Mike Elgan
Aug 11, 2011 (edited) - Public

Why Google's statement on its real names policy is disingenuous.

I love Google+, and respect what Google is trying to do with its real names policy -- at least I have no interest in Google+ descending into some kind of unholy cross between 4chan, YouTube and Chatroulette, where all conversations are dominated by cowards hiding behind anonymity while they spew hate speech.

But I think Google needs to be called out on its recent message about the real names policy. (I'm referring to the video attached to this post.)

Google, according to this product manager who's name I didn't catch, has "asked that those signing up for the service use the name they commonly go by in the real world."

The reason, he says, is to "make connecting with people on the web more like connecting with people in the real world."

The statements were part of Google's announcement of a new four-day grace period that allows people to "fix" their name before being kicked off the service.

The statement is disingenuous.

1. They're not "asking." It's a requirement. They don't want to say "requiring" because the truth sounds too harsh. Google should be honest and say: "We are requiring that those signing up for the service use the name they commonly go by in the real world."

When you browse the dictionary definition Google Search gives you for the word "ask," the closest definition to the usage in question is: "Request (someone) to do or give something." The definition for "require" is: "Specify as compulsory."

"Asking" is at least a euphemism. "Requiring" is the truth.

Google: If your policy is so draconian that you can't even talk about it honestly in public, then maybe you should change the policy.

2. The stated reason for the policy is not the actual reason. "More like connecting with people in the real world?" Why? The answer to the "why" question is the real reason, which has been left unstated. Does Google just have a "real world" jones? Big fan of the "real world"? Gimme a break.

The most likely reasons are that real names 1) make conversation more civil, which makes Google+ safe for work and more appealing to the masses; and 2) more useful as an advertising and commerce platform.

The BS "real world" argument could be used as the BS reason for everything and anything. "Oh, we're plastering advertising on every conceivable bit of G+ real estate, because we wanted to make Google+ more like the real world." "We're going to force you to listen to random telephone conversations of people using Google Voice because we wanted to make Google+ more like the real world." "We're working on some way to make diseases transmissible over Google+ because we wanted to make Google+ more like the real world."

Again, if the truth is so horrible you can't say it out loud, then maybe you need to change the policy.

3. The stated reason for the policy is not true. Using "real names" does not make Google+ like the "real world."

Google is often blinded by its presumption that humans are nothing more than consumers. If a **** sapien is nothing more than a buyer of things, then Google's statement makes sense. When you buy something, you hand over a credit card, and now that store knows exactly who you are. But if you participate in a political protest, go to a nightclub, attend an AA meeting, go to a party, or generally live your life, there is no absolute, irrevocable, searchable, permanent trail of exactly what you ever did or said available to everyone who sees or hears you.

This point was made with stark clarity by The Atlantic's +Alexis Madrigal ( http://goo.gl/VYWKH

).

What about battered women? What about political dissidents? There are a gazillion reasons why someone would want to use a pseudonym -- AND USE A PSEUDONYM IN THE "REAL WORLD" -- something Google's policy does not allow.

The online world is and must be entirely unlike the "real world."

The only acceptable solution to Google's real-name challenge is to categorize each Google+ user into one of two groups: 1) people who are using their real, legal names; and 2) people who are using something else to identify themselves for whatever reason. Each profile should reveal whether the name you see is 1 or 2. Let users decide if they want to circle people, given that knowledge.

If Google itself is so against its own policy that it can't even honestly describe it without falsehoods and euphemism, then that policy needs to change.

Not surprisingly, posted on a google site, because they own everything, like I said, lol.

The one linked in the above article is pretty good too.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/08/why-facebook-and-googles-concept-of-real-names-is-revolutionary/243171/

kcchiefs6465
03-02-2013, 05:08 PM
If they ask me for my phone number one more 'gain I am going to lose it. That and their 'safe password' system. Nothing annoys me more than having to have uppercase, lowercase, numbers, symbols, etc. for my password to work. Like, 'Fuck you, if someone figures out my password because I picked 123456, then that's my fault. What the hell does it matter to you for?' They don't hear my complaints.

libertyjam
03-02-2013, 05:13 PM
I envision someday soon they will want to buy all the credit check and banking service processing entities to really screw you over and make a one-stop-shop for any Fed that wants to know your entire life story.

RickyJ
03-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Google is really nothing more than a search engine, an open source browser and a open source mobile operating system based on Linux. The only real thing they have to make money off of is their search engine, and they are starting to get real competition in that area now from Apple. I would short Google right now and go long Apple, it is pretty much a no brainier.

nobody's_hero
03-02-2013, 05:31 PM
If they ask me for my phone number one more 'gain I am going to lose it. That and their 'safe password' system. Nothing annoys me more than having to have uppercase, lowercase, numbers, symbols, etc. for my password to work. Like, 'Fuck you, if someone figures out my password because I picked 123456, then that's my fault. What the hell does it matter to you for?' They don't hear my complaints.

and captcha's even humans can't read. those are highly annoying.

http://www.dotcult.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/ticketmaster.png

http://www.stickycomics.com/wp-content/uploads/captcha_robot.jpg

Natural Citizen
03-02-2013, 06:01 PM
We are slowly trading in our citizenship for consumership. This is what happens when corporations benefit from the gift of constitution. A bright young attorney could really change the world with a case like this if it's a question of personhood as Google (sorry, can't find Google's last name) seems to be making it.

Maybe someone might oughtta challenge Google's personhood.

Peace Piper
03-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Every minute detail of a serfs life must be documented, recorded and available to the Rulers at all times. The Rulers, on the other hand, enjoy all the secrecy they want, and demand more and more.

Search "locked out facebook ID" or some such string and this is just the start of this kind of thing. Paypal wants me to upload my SS Card, DL and utility bill in order to transfer money from a bank account that I've had for almost 15 years. And since Ebay owns Paypal, unless you send in that crap you can't sell on the only real site with any traffic.

But, the ignorant masses just keep bending over.

Google shouldn't have been permitted to buy Youtube. There is such a thing as too big (they were called Monopolies!), sadly that entire philosophy seems to have been thrown out the window. Why not have Google own the whole fracking internet?

VoluntaryAmerican
03-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Exactly why I will never use Google+

Yeah, Google+ is something I will never use.

I currently use Google Chrome and Google sometimes, but I often use DuckDuckGo search engine instead...

opal
03-02-2013, 06:43 PM
so.. now they require real names.. how do they deal with a shit load of John Smith's? real names do not include numbers (mostly I guess) so if I was to choose say Beth215567 that would not be a real name and be rejected, right?

gee.. I think Reagan Montogomery is a nice name.. could be male, could be female - time for a new internet persona I guess

or or ...

Justice Paul! I think we all need to be *Justice Paul* people

kcchiefs6465
03-02-2013, 06:53 PM
so.. now they require real names.. how do they deal with a shit load of John Smith's? real names do not include numbers (mostly I guess) so if I was to choose say Beth215567 that would not be a real name and be rejected, right?

gee.. I think Reagan Montogomery is a nice name.. could be male, could be female - time for a new internet persona I guess

or or ...

John Doe is what I usually use. Sort of a, 'fuck you for asking,' kind of response.

Peace Piper
03-02-2013, 07:11 PM
and captcha's even humans can't read. those are highly annoying.

http://www.stickycomics.com/wp-content/uploads/captcha_robot.jpg

Just helped a friend de-bug his site upgrade- he couldn't get the built in Captcha turned off.

Well it turns out, to enable the Captcha code on the site, you need a Captcha Key.

Guess what? the only place to get a Captcha key is...GOOGLE!
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/whyrecaptcha

Peace Piper
03-02-2013, 07:17 PM
or or ...

Might not be a good idea to spend a lot of time building up a false facebook or whatever account because one day you will get the "Confirm ID" email. It's really easy for firms like Google or Facebook to verify name/address. They can link with the Post office or possibly the DMV. Who knows what is in their small print.

opal
03-02-2013, 07:26 PM
just made an emal account at zoho and blasted thing won't activate... 4 times clicked the damn link to activate.. still won't let me compose mail.. foul!

Carson
03-02-2013, 07:35 PM
This is a sad story.

It amounts to identity theft. People have spent years building relationships under a name of their own choosing. Now they are expected to start all over?

Is Google their real name?

Is YouTube?

fr33
03-02-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm going to wait until youtube forces me to use my real name before I tell them off like you have. As it is now they still allow me to refuse it.

RickyJ
03-02-2013, 07:42 PM
This is a sad story.

It amounts to identity theft. People have spent years building relationships under a name of their own choosing. Now they are expected to start all over? Is Google their real name?

Nothing sad about it, just don't use Google! No one forces anyone to ever do a search on Google, to ever have a gmail account, to ever watch a video on Youtube ever! Google is not essential to anything you want to do on the web.

RockEnds
03-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Since I'm an adoptee, my real name is not my legal name. The internet and its demand that I use my real name has prompted me to reclaim my real name, however. I kinda get a kick out of it when a site insists I use my 'real name'. Whatever. If they insist....

HOLLYWOOD
03-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Tell Google you'll use your real name as soon as the person(s) that opened their YouTube account and uploaded the 'CHINA JON' video does so for theirs...

Whatever they reply with... just give'm an act of 1st amendment rights of defiance and move on to alternatives...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZeVqj-t1U0

KerriAnn
03-03-2013, 01:27 AM
i used to use gmail as my primary email. then one day i woke up and google changed their privacy policies and started snooping through my emails in order to advertise to me. i forget exactly what pushed me over the edge, but i finally closed my gmail account. during the process, google asked me why i chose to close the account. i simply typed in "fuck you google!".

KCIndy
03-03-2013, 01:40 AM
dupe post.

KCIndy
03-03-2013, 01:40 AM
John Doe is what I usually use. Sort of a, 'fuck you for asking,' kind of response.

I give you permission to use my real name.

It is Jablome. Heywood Jablome.

I even make it into the newspaper sometimes!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/28/haywood-jablome-strikes-a_n_404876.html

:D

pauljmccain
03-03-2013, 02:20 AM
I just clicked "this is an account for an organization."

Am I missing something here?

talkingpointes
03-03-2013, 02:34 AM
I don't get the gripe, I did the "persona" choice which is maniswil2 (youtube), yahoo does the same and has the worst news aggregate on the internet. Among other things.

nobody's_hero
03-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Just helped a friend de-bug his site upgrade- he couldn't get the built in Captcha turned off.

Well it turns out, to enable the Captcha code on the site, you need a Captcha Key.

Guess what? the only place to get a Captcha key is...GOOGLE!
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/whyrecaptcha

Of course. Google owns everything, like I said. :(

fr33
03-04-2013, 11:29 PM
The best thing about google is google reader. I make my own news sources and I suggest you do the same. RSS rulez.

KingRobbStark
03-04-2013, 11:36 PM
When making the email, use a fake name.

Philhelm
03-05-2013, 12:43 AM
I am Philip Foster, and the rest of you are spared.

american.swan
03-05-2013, 01:14 AM
I'm wondering about this policy because if you have an android they already know everything dont they?

american.swan
03-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Another thing. I rarely / almost never use google except on my phone. I don't log into youtube just to watch videos. They don't ask me for my real name on Android, YET!

Xhin
03-05-2013, 04:25 AM
Why does it matter? The internet is almost 100% a free market. Don't we want to keep it that way?

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-05-2013, 04:32 AM
Why does it matter? The internet is almost 100% a free market. Don't we want to keep it that way?it's not free as long as we depend on huge corrupt companies to provide us the internet

nobody's_hero
03-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Why does it matter? The internet is almost 100% a free market. Don't we want to keep it that way?

Well, I'm not calling for government controls or anything like that.

But I've seen too many stories where Joe Somebody posted an angry comment on youtube or facebook and suddenly a SWAT team breaks down his door, shoots his dog dead, and tazers grandma.

“Give me six lines written by the most honorable of men, and I will find an excuse in them to hang him” - Cardinal Richelieu

The cardinal would be like a kid in a candy store if he could see some of the stuff people post on the internet, lol.