PDA

View Full Version : Maddow using bots to get her twitter hashtag to trend.

Lucille
03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Pathetic.

A poster on Twitter, upon seeing what he thought were very similar posts referencing MSNBC host Rachel Maddow's show, did some searching and found out that Maddow has been using phony twitter accounts to boost her "mentions" on the popular website. As can be seen by screenshots collected by a tweeter named @LeftyBollocks (https://twitter.com/LeftyBollocks/status/307697011866603520), Maddow has massive amount of accounts posting the exact same claim that "Confession: I yell at my TV while watching Rachel #Maddow talk about filibuster reform in the same way most people do during football."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEUozVNCEAA1mXr.jpg:large

h/t http://voxday.blogspot.com/2013/03/70000-readers-per-day_2.html

thoughtomator
03-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Doing a little bit of random sampling shows that those are indeed bots and not just a bunch of people who clicked on a preformatted "tweet this" type link from a website.

For example, all the names I sampled are full of "#teamfollowback" posts, yet they follow 0 people. Post counts in the few hundreds, but it looks like all of them were in the past few days, on each of the accounts. There are also certain other uncommon hashtags (e.g. "#500ADAY") that appear in all the samples I looked at.

This is "caught red-handed".

(She probably learned this trick from Newt Gingrich.)

green73
03-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I wish there was a better pic

green73
03-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Damn, I sent this to Drudge only to find out it's just been posted.

Natural Citizen
03-02-2013, 01:04 PM
This is similar to the point I was trying to make in the fish thread before I finally abandoned the notion of wasting my time with it. The travesty here is that far too many are so blind as to chase these figments of the imagination all over the www for theoretical debate. And for what?

fr33
03-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Somebody with a blog should make a story about this. I don't want to link to freerepublic.

sailingaway
03-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Her, Obama, Gingrich, it has become quite the thing, for fakers.

FSP-Rebel
03-02-2013, 01:17 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/mkxaxk.jpg

Natural Citizen
03-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Could be viewed as cyber terrorism. Of course one cannot realistically take a bot to court now, can they? Another one of the many loopholes allowed by means of the old intellectual property gag. We sure do need to maybe figger on fixing that. :rolleyes:

kcchiefs6465
03-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Doesn't surprise me one bit. I could not imagine anyone legitimately speaking about her. I don't know why anyone would want to know what she thinks about something.

KingNothing
03-02-2013, 06:12 PM
If idiot Maddow and the idiots at her idiotic company are doing this, imagine what the CIA must be doing with the billions of dollars it has stashed away.

kcchiefs6465
03-02-2013, 06:18 PM
If idiot Maddow and the idiots at her idiotic company are doing this, imagine what the CIA must be doing with the billions of dollars it has stashed away.
They have no incentive to stash anything. NASA got their back.

KingNothing
03-02-2013, 06:25 PM
They have no incentive to stash anything. NASA got their back.

Well, I mean, they have billions of dollars that they aren't even made to account for spending.

Okie RP fan
03-03-2013, 09:18 AM
She's a snake just like the rest. But, don't tell that to the folks who just fell in love with her after she mentioned Ron Paul a few times; she's a saint! (she was doing that to get a few of you to watch her show as her ratings continued to be low).

This is just low. There is nothing honest about this. Sure, it's smart to get your own trends going... But, just goes to show that these folks will use any tactic necessary to keep their names relevant.

kcchiefs6465
03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
She's a snake just like the rest. But, don't tell that to the folks who just fell in love with her after she mentioned Ron Paul a few times; she's a saint! (she was doing that to get a few of you to watch her show as her ratings continued to be low).

This is just low. There is nothing honest about this. Sure, it's smart to get your own trends going... But, just goes to show that these folks will use any tactic necessary to keep their names relevant.
I've seen her bash Ron Paul as much as the next. I personally cannot stand that woman. I don't know what it is about her but she annoys me more than probably anyone else on the planet. Seriously. I would rather listen to Gilbert Gottfried and Joan Rivers argue. It is that bad.

luke19
03-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Could be viewed as cyber terrorism. Of course one cannot realistically take a bot to court now, can they? Another one of the many loopholes allowed by means of the old intellectual property gag. We sure do need to maybe figger on fixing that. :rolleyes:
Report the bots as spam and block them from ever being able to contact you.

fr33
03-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Related headline: http://frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/is-msnbc-using-chinese-spam-bots-to-trend-on-twitter/

HOLLYWOOD
03-06-2013, 04:49 PM
reminds me of "MEGAPHONE" on steering the social drones

angelatc
03-06-2013, 04:55 PM
She's a snake just like the rest.

Yes, when she first came to my attention I had hopes that she would be a Glenn Greenwald. I don't agree with him on everything, but he is always well sourced and intellectually honest.

She's just a third grader with a talk show. What a total waste of a Rhodes Scholarship.