PDA

View Full Version : Md. Senate passes sweeping gun control bill

tangent4ronpaul
02-28-2013, 04:57 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_404h/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/02/06/Others/Images/2013-02-06/JN2_26181360183392.JPG
Gun rights advocates rally Feb. 6 in opposition to Gov. Martin O’Malley’s (D) gun control measure. (4,000+ ppl)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/md-senate-passes-sweeping-gun-control-bill/2013/02/28/c5d38772-81b6-11e2-8074-b26a871b165a_story.html

Maryland Senate Democrats passed sweeping gun-control legislation proposed by Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley on Thursday, with tighter firearm restrictions on the mentally ill and token concessions on a new licensing requirement that will force most gun buyers to be fingerprinted.

Before Thursday’s 28 to 19 vote, Republicans attempted a filibuster, railing against the plan for more than four hours and warning that the bill proposed by O’Malley (D) would put Maryland in the untenable position of requiring fingerprints of residents to exercise a constitutional right.

Seven conservative Democrats joined Republicans in opposition, but the motion to cut off debate passed by one vote. The Senate later approved the governor’s plan by the same margin: 28 to 19.

O’Malley’s bill now heads to the House of Delegates, where lawmakers are expected to make several changes. But with the legislature just past the halfway point of its session Friday, the bill has powerful momentum with weeks to work out a final agreement.

That was little consolation to opponents.

“You’re chipping away and chipping away at a constitutional right,” said Sen. Thomas M. Middleton (D-Charles), who voted against the measure.

Sen. Christopher B. Shank (R-Washington) said that Democrats were willing to trample on a constitutional right that they didn’t like. “Can you imagine the outcry if we were forcing people to be fingerprinted to vote?”

Sen. Brian E. Frosh (D-Montgomery), the Senate Judiciary Committee chairman who led proponents’ efforts to pass the bill, declined to make a final argument before the vote. Earlier in the morning, he said the bill would “save lives, period.”

In a rare bipartisan move before Thursday’s theatrics, the Senate voted late Wednesday to go beyond O’Malley’s plan to limit gun purchases by residents committed against their will for mental-health treatment. The Senate chose to do that, as well as ban future gun sales to some Marylanders who undergo voluntary admissions, a threshold that mental-health professionals have opposed.

Senate Democrats, however, protected the core of O’Malley’s plan. Over nine hours of debate, they fought off scores of attempts by Republicans and rural Democrats to weaken the bill.

Democrats held firm in requiring gun buyers to submit fingerprints, complete safety training and undergo stronger background checks to obtain a license to purchase firearms. They also passed the bulk of O’Malley’s proposed ban on assault weapons and ammunition magazines containing more than 10 bullets.

Vincent DeMarco, president of Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence, said the vote well positioned the General Assembly to ultimately pass the governor’s bill, which he characterized as a “life-saving measure.”

“The Senate recognized that fingerprint-based licensing of handgun purchasers is the best way for states to reduce gun violence.”

Senate Republicans successfully tacked on several measures giving gun purchasers more leeway in registering assault weapons, lengthening a year-end grace period to do so. They also reduced financial and criminal penalties for failing to register firearms and slightly narrowed the definition of assault weapons that Maryland would ban.

The mental-health change to O’Malley’s bill, authored by Sen. Robert A. Zirkin (D-Baltimore County), would ban future gun purchases by patients who are admitted to a hospital for an emergency mental-health evaluation on the recommendation of a doctor, and who then agree to direct admission to a mental-health facility.

Zirkin said a broader but “more targeted” group of mental health patients could face more gun restrictions than under O’Malley’s plan. “These are people who are presenting as a danger to themselves or others and have a mental disorder,” he said. “That’s the group we need to target.”

===========================
Md. Senate passes gun control bill
Assault weapons ban, licensing requirement now head to House
- See more at: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-senate-passes-gun-bill-20130228,0,7962023.story#sthash.raE0rnt0.dpuf

The Maryland Senate on Thursday approved a sweeping gun control bill that would give the state one of the strictest gun laws in the country.
In a 28-19 vote, senators approved a plan to require a license to buy a handgun, limit magazines to 10 bullets and ban the sale of assault-style weapons. Maryland State Police would be empowered to audit gun dealers, and state rules limiting gun ownership for people with mental illnesses would be expanded. Other provisions increase the information sent to databases used for background checks.
The measure goes now to the House of Delegates, which is holding a hearing Friday on the issue that is expected to bring thousands of people to Annapolis.

Despite some concessions to Republicans and some conservative Democrats, the key provisions of Gov. Martin O'Malley's bill remained intact. Opponents attempted a filibuster Thursday morning, telling childhood stories about shooting rats or trash and reading aloud letters from constituents as debate went on for about four hours before gun control supporters shut down debate.
Baltimore Sen. Nathaniel McFadden said the need for stricter gun laws transcends the Newtown shooting massacre, which killed 26 people and sparked national calls for more gun control.
"We don't have our Newtowns or Columbines in our neighborhood," McFadden said, adding that Baltimore instead lives with gun violence every day. "You can get a gun quicker than you can get an apple or an orange in my community. It's outrage, and we need to do something about it."
Sen. Brian Frosh, who lead the floor effort to pass the legislation, called it ""a life saving bill."

:mad:

-t

ZENemy
02-28-2013, 05:06 PM
If this is not resisted, nothing will be.

tangent4ronpaul
02-28-2013, 05:23 PM

A senator commented about the Feb 6th rally, that this has never happened before (the turn out), not even during the Vietnam war...

up to 28 state senators are going to find themselves laid off come 2014...

but yes, now the fight is in the house and if we don't stop it there, in the courts.

-t

Anti Federalist
02-28-2013, 05:43 PM

Of course it will not be resisted.

There will be some bitching right now but 20 years from now it will be established policy.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Of course it will not be resisted.

There will be some bitching right now but 20 years from now it will be established policy.

Quite optimistic to think 20 years ahead, with this country still in one piece.

MD might as well be part of DC as far as I can tell... same with VA. At least large chunks of both are DC.

Anti Federalist
02-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Quite optimistic to think 20 years ahead, with this country still in one piece.

MD might as well be part of DC as far as I can tell... same with VA. At least large chunks of both are DC.

True enough.

It's just that I find it so incongrous that there will be some sort of "resistance".

These people are letting government feel up their children at airports, and they want it.

These people openly vote to raise taxes on themselves.

By these people, I mean our fellow Boobus.

Outside of some grumbling from the lunatic fringe, (that's us) this will roll on as always.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-28-2013, 05:57 PM
First NJ, now MD.

tangent4ronpaul
02-28-2013, 06:14 PM
current version of bill with amendments:
http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281t.pdf

1. Thumbhole stocks removed from the "features" list.
2. The "copycat" criteria for rifles and handguns is now two features instead of one. (Note that shotguns with an adjustable stock and a pistol grip are still AWs. No more turkey guns.)
3. No re-registration requirement. (Does this mean if we bought it regulated in MD we don't have to re-register? The bill is vague on this but I know Frosh said that this is how it was supposed to work.)
4. AW registration deadline is moved out to 90 days.
5. Penalties for not registering an AW have been lightened considerably. (Mostly civil fines)
6. Clarifies that transport of registered AWs within or into the state is legal.
7. $25 for handgun license application.
8. $20 for license renewal.
9. Handgun license training requirements cut in half.
10. No need to re-train to renew license.
11. License is renewed every 10 years instead of 5.
12. Only one set of fingerprints required for license application, not two.

There's lots of stuff dealing with mental health, LEO/manufacturer exemptions, and FFLs that I didn't look at too closely, but I think what I listed above are the provisions that concern the bulk of us.

It's progress, but we still have a lot of work. The whole notion of an AW/magazine ban needs to go away completely. The licensing provision in particular seems to have come a long way. Aside from the fingerprinting requirements it's not much worse than the online training requirement they have now.

-t

invisible
02-28-2013, 06:18 PM
A senator commented about the Feb 6th rally, that this has never happened before (the turn out), not even during the Vietnam war...

up to 28 state senators are going to find themselves laid off come 2014...

but yes, now the fight is in the house and if we don't stop it there, in the courts.

-t

I remember being in a pretty big crowd on that lawn, protesting the start of vehicle emissions testing. This looks to be about twice as big.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Outside of some grumbling from the lunatic fringe, (that's us) this will roll on as always.

I'm not optimistic on that front, either, but I've also seen more people popping out the shadows than I ever expected. There's a reasonable amount of people coming out of the closet, which tells me there are also more people in the closet than I expected.

mad cow
02-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Bye-Bye Beretta.

Lucille
02-28-2013, 06:54 PM
First NJ, now MD.

And NY.

"Sometimes I think this country would be better off if we could just saw off the Eastern Seaboard and let it float out to sea."
--Barry Goldwater

I'm not optimistic on that front, either, but I've also seen more people popping out the shadows than I ever expected. There's a reasonable amount of people coming out of the closet, which tells me there are also more people in the closet than I expected.

Claire Wolfe (http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/ClaireWolfe/2013/02/22/you-know-somethins-happenin-here-but/) agrees:

I don’t know how any of this is going to come out. I’m not seeing rainbows and unicorns in our future. Whether the gun-banners “win” or get beaten back on a new ugly-gun ban or a private-sale ban, I expect chaos. But this time around, there seems to be a lot more understanding that the battle is about freedom. For all of us. And that it’s not just the possessions and privileges of one group or another that are at stake.
[...]
But … things are so much bigger now. It’s no longer just us “lone nuts with guns,” grumbling angrily in meeting rooms or cabins. It’s a whole culture whose members understand that everything they value, everything they are, is under attack.

James Madison
02-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Bye-Bye Beretta.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of new jobs working for the state. I heard the military is hiring. There you will be allowed permission to wield the arms us mundanes cannot be trusted with.

Luciconsort
02-28-2013, 07:30 PM
not a good day to be a Marylander..... I can't wait to move!

DamianTV
02-28-2013, 08:31 PM

If this is not resisted, nothing else can be.