PDA

View Full Version : NH HB399: The NH Liberty Act [to nullify NDAA]

muzzled dogg
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
here's what we're working on

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Thirteen

AN ACT establishing the New Hampshire liberty act.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 Findings.

I. The legislature finds that the enactment into law by the United States Congress of Sections 1021 and 1022 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, Public Law Number 112-81, is inimical to the liberty, security, and well-being of the people of New Hampshire, and was adopted by the United States Congress in violation of the limits of federal power in United States Constitution.

II. The legislature finds that, together, Sections 1021 and 1022 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, as they purport to authorize (i) detainment of persons captured within the United States of America without charge, (ii) military tribunals for persons captured within the United States of America, and (iii) the transfer of persons captured within the United States of America to foreign jurisdictions, are violative of the following rights enshrined in the Constitution of the United States of America:

(a) Article I, Section 9, Clause 2’s right to seek writ of habeas corpus;

(b) The First Amendment’s right to petition the government for a redress of grievances;

(c) The Fourth Amendment’s right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures;

(d) The Fifth Amendment’s right to be free from charge for an infamous or capital crime until presentment or indictment by a grand jury;

(e) The Fifth Amendment’s right to be free from deprivation of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;

(f) The Sixth Amendment’s right in criminal prosecutions to enjoy a speedy trial by an impartial jury in the state and district where the crime shall have been committed;

(g) The Sixth Amendment’s right to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation;

(h) The Sixth Amendment’s right to confront witnesses;

(i) The Sixth Amendment’s right to counsel;

(j) The Eighth Amendment’s right to be free from excessive bail and fines, and cruel and unusual punishment; and

(k) The Fourteenth Amendment’s right to be free from deprivation of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.

III. The legislature finds that, together, Sections 1021 and 1022 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, as they purport to authorize (i) detainment of persons captured within the United States of America without charge, (ii) military tribunals for persons captured within the United States of America, and (iii) the transfer of persons captured within the United States of America to foreign jurisdictions, violate the following Articles of the Constitution of New Hampshire:

(a) Part I, Article 7, which provides: the people of this state have the sole and exclusive right of governing themselves as a free, sovereign, and independent state; and do, and forever hereafter shall, exercise and enjoy every power, jurisdiction, and right, pertaining thereto, which is not, or may not hereafter be, by them expressly delegated to the United States of America in Congress assembled; and

(b) Part I, Article 10, which provides: government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government.

2 New Chapter; New Hampshire Liberty Act. Amend RSA by inserting after chapter 646-A the following new chapter:

CHAPTER 646-B

NEW HAMPSHIRE LIBERTY ACT

646-B:1 Support of National Defense Authorization Act Prohibited.

I. The state of New Hampshire shall not provide material support or participate in any way with the implementation of Sections 1021 and 1022 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 within the boundaries of this state. The department of safety is hereby directed to report to the governor and the legislature any attempt by agencies or agents of the United States government to secure the implementation of Sections 1021 and 1022 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 through the operations of that or any other state department.
II. Any public officer, employee, or agent of the state of New Hampshire, or any employee of a corporation providing services to the state of New Hampshire that enforces or attempts to enforce an act, order, law, statute, rule, or regulation of the government of the United States in violation of paragraph I shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

3 Effective Date. This act shall take effect upon its passage.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2013/HB0399.html

Keith and stuff
02-28-2013, 03:18 PM
The New Hampshire House STATE-FEDERAL RELATIONS AND VETERANS AFFAIRS voted unanimiously (16-0) to recommend HB399 Ought to Pass with the following two amendments.
1. Made the penalty for violation correspond to the actual violation, i.e. if someone is taken, it would be kidnapping. Thus, could go right up to Class A felony.
2. Urges the Attorney General to initiate or support any lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the detainment provisions of the NDAA.

It will most likely go up to a vote for the full NH House on Wednesday or the next Wednesday.

I was worried about the bill because the sole sponsor is a very principled conservative. However, everyone that testified on the bill from Occupy folks to NHLA folks to the NHCLU to Ron Paul Republicans were all in favor of the bill. I am glad that I was wrong.

FSP-Rebel
02-28-2013, 03:20 PM
I'd be surprised if Rep Chase would let this go. It's the perfect way for her to have you guys swooped up and put on ice indefinitely.

Keith and stuff
02-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Update: According to 1 of the people on the Committee, there were 4 votes and they were not all unanimous. I wasn't there so i don't have first hand knowledge of the votes. The state will eventually publish the final results.

sailingaway
02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Yea! We actually have one in CA too, of all things! Best of luck!

muzzled dogg
02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/166785_10151268405140764_304524718_n.jpg

muzzled dogg
02-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Unanimous panel says no to spy drones

By BILL SMITH
New Hampshire Union Leader

Legislation designed to keep spy drones from eavesdropping on the day-to-day lives of Granite Staters cleared its first hurdle Thursday, when a House committee endorsed the proposal.

A newly amended version of House Bill 619, would bar governments from using tiny airborne devices called drones capable of capturing sounds and images of people on the ground to hover around and about the state keeping track of what people are up to.

Exceptions would be allowed for searches conducted with a warrant, to head off a "high-risk" terrorist threat or to prevent "imminent" harm to life or serious damage to property.

The bill would also allow aerial photographs taken at a height from which people can't be identified.

Supporters embraced the idea that advanced technology is making snooping far too easy, and called for New Hampshire to take a leadership position on the issue.

"This type of technology just blew my mind, some of this stuff is the size of a mosquito," said Rep. Gene Charron, R-Chester. "There's your privacy, folks."

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130228/NEWS06/130229030

related

Keith and stuff
02-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Update: According to 1 of the people on the Committee, there were 4 votes and they were not all unanimous. I wasn't there so i don't have first hand knowledge of the votes. The state will eventually publish the final results.

OK. Another state rep. on the Committee wrote on the issue. He claims the final vote was 16-0. BTW, there is a Facebook event if you live in NH. https://www.facebook.com/events/333379563448854/

Keith and stuff
03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/481656_10151539608747780_799932188_n.jpg

Status: Unanimously Passed in New Hampshire House Committee 16-0

Watch: Full Public Testimony - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7TS_pqn_VA

Action: Inform Every State Rep about NDAA and HB 399 - Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - https://www.facebook.com/events/333379563448854/

Keith and stuff
03-13-2013, 01:59 PM
I wasn't listening to the debate as it was happening on the NH House floor but here are the results.

Edit: Here is the info from the lead non-legislator pushing this bill. Seems like good news to me.

The bill passed the House today, with only 15 people voting against it. It has had to be resent to the Criminal Justice Committee, because it has a penalty provision that needs their stamp of approval.

The bill passed the NH House by a 337 to 15 vote. The roll call will be up, eventually here www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/Roll_calls/Billstatus_billrollcalls.aspx?lsr=324&sd=2013&sy=2013&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2013&txtbillnumber=hb399 .

Edit, the roll call is now up. 14 Democrats and 1 Republican voted against passing this bill. It is possible that a legislator got confused and made a mistake. It happens from time to time. Nevertheless, here are the names.
Name Party County District
Parsons, Robbie Republican Strafford 01
Berch, Paul Democrat Cheshire 01
Davis, Frank Democrat Merrimack 20
Goley, Jeffrey Democrat Hillsborough 08
Huot, David Democrat Belknap 03
Myler, Mel Democrat Merrimack 10
Nordgren, Sharon Democrat Grafton 12
Pastor, Beatriz Democrat Grafton 12
Richardson, Gary Democrat Merrimack 10
Rogers, Katherine Democrat Merrimack 28
Rosenwald, Cindy Democrat Hillsborough 30
Schuett, Dianne Democrat Merrimack 20
Shurtleff, Stephen Democrat Merrimack 11
Turcotte, Alan Democrat Merrimack 22
Weber, Lucy Democrat Cheshire 01

Keith and stuff
03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
This is a statement released by the conservative/NHGOP platform/NH Constitution supporting NH House caucus this evening.

NH House Republican Alliance statement on HB399

PRESS RELEASE

House Republican Alliance Reacts to Passage of HB 399

CONCORD, New Hampshire –The NH house passed today a bill that would protect our citizens from being locked up and hidden away by the Federal government.

In a statement on its passage, Rep. Al Baldasaro- Londonderry stated, "In passing the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) sections 1021 and 1022, the Congress of the United States of America has suspended the privilege of the writ of Habeas Corpus, allowing any American citizen to be indefinitely detained without warrant.

This power can only be invoked during times of rebellion or invasion, when there is ongoing open warfare on American soil. However, Congress has declared no such war, making those sections of the NDAA unconstitutional. New Hampshire proposes to declare those sections unconstitutional and to protect its citizens by making it a crime to carry them out or aid in their execution within the borders of New Hampshire.

We do not believe the federal government can lock up our citizens without just cause. By passing HB 399, we are asserting our duty as a State to protect our citizens. "

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/733916_10151293207910764_390055878_n.jpg

Keith and stuff
03-13-2013, 07:11 PM
A few pro-liberty websites have covered this news already.

New Hampshire House Votes to Block Detainment Without Due Process Under the NDAA
Posted on March 13, 2013
http://www.nhforliberty.com/new-hampshire-house-votes-to-protect-right-to-due-process/

NH House Votes to Prohibit Indefinite Detention in the Granite State
http://granitegrok.com/blog/2013/03/nh-house-votes-to-prohibit-indefinite-detention-in-granite-state

NH Houses Passes HB 399 Nullification of NDAA
http://www.nhteapartycoalition.org/tea/2013/03/13/nh-houses-passes-hb-399-nullification-of-ndaa/

New Hampshire House Votes to Nullify NDAA Indefinite Detention, 337-15
http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2013/03/new-hampshire-house-votes-to-nullify-ndaa-indefinite-detention-337-15/