PDA

View Full Version : Kids who eat government breakfast make more money as adults, better at math, less hungry!

AdamL
02-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Saw a story about this on my local news and thought it was pretty funny.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-02-27/news/37333106_1_school-breakfast-kid-hungry-campaign-deloitte

The study, called "Ending Childhood Hunger: A Social Impact Analysis," was done pro bono by Deloitte, an accounting consulting firm that also performs community-service work. The No Kid Hungry campaign also gets support from the Kellogg's cereal company.

Deloitte analyzed national demographic data to learn that children who eat school breakfast score an average of 17.5 percent higher on math tests.

Also, students who eat school breakfast attend class an average of 1.5 days more per year, Deloitte found.

Extrapolating from those findings, Deloitte said that the combination of higher attendance and increased math scores means kids who eat school breakfast are 20 percent more likely to graduate high school.

As adults, such people would make more money and be less likely to experience hunger, the Deloitte analysis concluded.

"The study identifides important linkages between feeding kids and academic success," said Josh Wachs, chief strategy officer at Share Our Strength. "It shows that ending child hunger isn't just the right thing to do, but the smart thing, because it's an investment in our nation's future."

Wonder how long it'll be before the government decides to provide our child prisoners all of their meals...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m28t8usrQ71qzxgd0o1_r1_500.gif

Dr.3D
02-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Maybe if mom and dad got up in the morning and had breakfast with their kids, they wouldn't need to have the government feed them.

TonySutton
02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
I am calling BS on the wording of this.

Deloitte analyzed national demographic data to learn that children who eat school breakfast score an average of 17.5 percent higher on math tests.

When compared to who? Certainly not when compared to random kids across America who eat breakfast every morning. I find that hard to believe.

Has anyone seen the actual report?

Edit: Found the white paper, still reading http://www.nokidhungry.org/pdfs/school-breakfast-white-paper.pdf

BAllen
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Marxist math. Feed in bullshit, get out bullshit to confirm a useless government program.

AGRP
02-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (pron.: /dəˈlɔɪt/), commonly referred to as Deloitte, is one of the Big Four professional services firms along with PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), Ernst & Young, and KPMG.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzobmlXea01qeawdho1_500.jpg

fr33
02-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Ahh the worldview of central planners...

On one hand the kids are all fat because of school lunches.
One the other hand the kids are starving and need school breakfasts.

They frame both sides of the argument so the guaranteed outcome will be to spend more money to hire more people so they can come up with ways to spend even more money.

RabbitMan
02-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Having breakfast at all is good for kids. Doesn't need to be school-provided.

TomtheTinker
02-28-2013, 10:01 AM
These people...can't we just ignore them.

BAllen
02-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Having breakfast at all is good for kids. Doesn't need to be school-provided.

In their mind it does. Peasants are too stupid to know what to feed their children.

oyarde
02-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Meh when I was 16 breakfast was usually coffee and a doobie. I can do simple math better than any loberal I have ever meet and have made plenty of money.Marxists.

familydog
02-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Kids who stay out of government skools make even more money, actually like math and are never hungry.

jkob
02-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Wonder how long it'll be before the government decides to provide our child prisoners all of their meals...

probably sooner than you think

Obesity is a threat to national security you know? :rolleyes:

Brian4Liberty
02-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Extrapolating from those findings,...

Lol! In others words, no evidence whatsoever for making more money as adults. They pulled this hypothesis straight out of their asses and try to pass it off as reality.

cjm
02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
I haven't read the full report, but from a distance it looks like Deloitte is confusing correlation with causation. Unless they designed an experiment that specifically denied breakfast to a random population, the breakfast eaters were self-selected. People who are serious about learning will recognize that eating a good breakfast is important, so a more reasonable conclusion would be that people who perform well on math tests also choose to eat breakfast.

devil21
02-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Daily Show just did an interview and plug for a documentary about all the "starving" kids in America the other day. Looks to me like we'll be getting a frontal assault on this children's food "crisis" shortly. Of course the answer is always to spend more money! Nevermind that kids are the fattest they've ever been, food stamps are doled out like candy these days, and the few kids that truly are "starving" in this country are hungry because their irresponsible parents don't feed them decent food or they're illegal immigrants. There IS a crisis of bad nutrition and bad eating choices but very, very few people in this country are "starving".

Kotin
02-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Lol the title is a dead giveaway to just how much this whole story and idea is blatant propaganda. Only comatose fuckheads would bat their eyes at this twice.. ***Shrug***

heavenlyboy34
02-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Problem with all this is that most of the government school meals I've experienced are nutrition-free. :P I doubt it's any better in the rest of teh fruited plains.

Dr.3D
02-28-2013, 05:31 PM
probably sooner than you think

Obesity is a threat to national security you know? :rolleyes:
Well, they will claim it causes the cost of Obamacare to go up.