PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Love Bomb

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Dear friends and supporters of Ron Paul,

My name is Steve Martin, and I am the Meetup coordinator of Meetup #17 in Aroostook County, Maine. I am one of the earlier supporters of Dr. Paul's run for President, and I think I have stumbled upon an idea that will help the campaign, and also help others, in a number of ways.

Ron Paul supporters have been maligned in certain segments of the press recently because certain folks with despicable anti-Semitic or other racist views have made it known that they support Ron Paul or that they have contributed to his campaign.

The "Ron Paul Love Bomb" project is designed to show that the vast majority of
Ron Paul supporters are loving people who share an interest in helping to shape the future of the country for the benefit of all Americans.

While we certainly understand that donations directly to the campaign are of the highest priority, we believe that this opportunity offers donors who have reached their $2300 limit, and international supporters, a way to contribute in another effective way to the campaign. Of course, all Ron Paul supporters who feel that the message that these donations will send is important may give as well.

We will be collecting funds at www.RonPaulLoveBomb up until December 30th, when we will distribute the funds collected as a "love bomb" to the following 2 charities:

1. The Social & Humanitarian Fund of Chabad-Lubavitch, a prominent Jewish charity
http://lubavitch.com/... .

and...

2. The United Negro College Fund:
http://www.uncf.org/?... .

This will be especially effective timing, as the funds will be distributed just before the Iowa Caucuses and the early primaries begin.

Please do what you can, and spread the word about the Ron Paul Love Bomb far and wide!

For Ron Paul and the Republic,
Steve Martin
mepatriot@juno.com
207-532-3635

hillertexas
11-23-2007, 11:32 AM
I like it :)

jake
11-23-2007, 11:32 AM
honorable suggestion!

AlexMerced
11-23-2007, 11:33 AM
yes, hopefully my local meetup will all go to a local soup kitchen and help out

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Also, I was one of the very first posters and one of the most frequent posters at the official meetup message boards at www.ronpaul.meetup.com, just so you know this is not some scam. This is the thread where the idea originated for those who may be interested:

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3823258&pager.offset=0

And, if you are a member of a meetup group, would you take a minute and send the following email to the members of your group. You do this by simply putting ronpaul-###@meetup.com in the "send to" line. The ### should be replaced with your meetup group number (but it may be 1 digit long, 2, 3 or 4 digits long--not necessarily three), and then everyone who is a member of your group will have an opportunity to share in this important project.

Copy and Paste the previous post above into your text box. (A HUGE THANKS IN ADVANCE!)

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys and gals! Glad most of you seem to think the idea has some merit.

Any suggestions to make the website (www.RonPaulLoveBomb.com) or the overall plan even better?

Original_Intent
11-23-2007, 11:44 AM
As a long time poster on this site, I can vouch for Steve he is one of the prime movers over on the official Meetup.com boards.

Not sure if my endorsement means anything, but there it is.

Steve is awesome!

Steve, how can we get some good media coverage of this without appearing to toot our own horn? Would the recipients be willing to do a press release if the funds raised were substantial? I think this is an awesome idea!

AlexMerced
11-23-2007, 11:45 AM
it's the daily doube, if we each recruit one new person a day, support doubles daily

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 12:00 PM
As a long time poster on this site, I can vouch for Steve he is one of the prime movers over on the official Meetup.com boards.

Steve is awesome!

Steve, how can we get some good media coverage of this without appearing to toot our own horn? Would the recipients be willing to do a press release if the funds raised were substantial? I think this is an awesome idea!

Wow! thanks for the endorsement, my friend. I am not sure I would be convinced this wasn't a scam, so I set it up so that I can not even touch the money myself. A friend of mine (an RP friend I have never met, but talked to many times) named Tom Golebieswki (the Meetup #23 coordinator) is the only one with access, and he is 300 miles from me in southern Maine.

As far as media publicity, a lot of that will depend on how well we do. If we only raise a few thousand we probably won't do much with publicity. If we raise a lot, I may try to get RP to go give the checks to the groups in person.

We'll have to play that all by ear.

PaulNation2008
11-23-2007, 12:06 PM
A "love bomb" might make us sound like hippies to the media/GOP voters.

Just a thought.

Suzu
11-23-2007, 12:12 PM

Steve is awesome!

What O_I said...

Original_Intent
11-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Or we could play it as putting the "3VOL" in R[3VOL]UTION. :)

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I am embarrassed to say that I can not afford to be the first contributor at www.RonPaulLoveBomb.com myself...I did put $18.95 into getting the site up and running though...

So, who will be the FAMOUS first donor?...lol..

Original_Intent
11-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Steve,

As much as i want to, I can not do anything until after the Dec 16th nuke. I have not even pledged on the TeaParty site yet because I am trying to figure out where that $100 is coming from. I am going to do it, I just want to make sure my mouth isn't writing checks that my ___ can't cash.

I expect I will be in for at least $25 , but again I won't pledge until the 16th is done.

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Steve,

As much as i want to, I can not do anything until after the Dec 16th nuke. I have not even pledged on the TeaParty site yet because I am trying to figure out where that $100 is coming from. I am going to do it, I just want to make sure my mouth isn't writing checks that my ___ can't cash.

I expect I will be in for at least $25 , but again I won't pledge until the 16th is done.

OI,

Thanks, but we aren't collecting pledges, just cash...:)lol...So if/when you can spare a few bucks we'll be there for ya!

Oh, and YES we are playing on the rELOVolution theme...We are indeed trying to put the "Love" in "revolution"...I'll tell Tom to add those words to the site some place....great idea.

FireofLiberty
11-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I think the UNCF promotes collectivist views.

TechnoGuyRob
11-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Bump! Excellent initiative.

But I do agree an organization other than UNCF might be...favorable.

ClockwiseSpark
11-23-2007, 01:29 PM
I think it's a great idea though I fear the MSM will just ignore it and continue to call us Anti-Semites and racists. Still, that has never stopped us before. Let's do it.

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Bump! Excellent initiative.

But I do agree an organization other than UNCF might be...favorable.

The idea was to find an organization that helps folks of color that is not involved directly in politics (such as the Rainbow Coalition, etc.). Most folks think of them as what they basically are...a fund to help send poorer black kids to college.

hddn-agnda
11-23-2007, 01:34 PM
I like this idea, but the hypocrisy of Original Intent should be shown for what it is...

trashing every other fundraising effort that would send money to Ron Paul, while supporting this idea that wouldn't send a single penny to Ron Paul. Just an observation... I won't add my own opinion as to the intentions of... Original Intent--just post that for you to make your own judgements.

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 01:34 PM
I think it's a great idea though I fear the MSM will just ignore it and continue to call us Anti-Semites and racists. Still, that has never stopped us before. Let's do it.

CS,

Yea...we kill three birds with one stone here:

1. First and foremost, we genuinely help people in need.
2. We give our foreign friends that support RP, and those who have already maxed out their $2300 limit (but have more to give) a place to do it!
3. We give ourselves some defensive "ammunition" against these bogus charges of anti-Semitism and racism.

I see it as a win, win, win, all around.

P.S. No group with enough public name recognition is "perfect" ideologically for what we are trying to accomplish. I did the best I could...and maybe some will say it wasn't good enough. But, I think it is good enough to work...I could be wrong...

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 01:37 PM
I like this idea, but the hypocrisy of Original Intent should be shown for what it is...

trashing every other fundraising effort that would send money to Ron Paul, while supporting this idea that wouldn't send a single penny to Ron Paul. Just an observation... I won't add my own opinion as to the intentions of... Original Intent--just post that for you to make your own judgements.

This is why we emphasize on the www.RonPaulLoveBomb.com website that donating to the official campaign IF YOU ARE DOMESTIC AND NOT MAXED OUT should be everyone's #1 priority.

Original_Intent
11-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Not hypocrisy, I support this because the target date is after December 16th. Also see Steve's response above.

Also, it is because a realtively small amount ($20,000?) could reap huge dividends in PR and also a good answer to many of the attacks that have been levied against Ron Paul.

It's not about the campaign's banka ccount it is about bang for the buck, a concept that you either have not been able to get your head around or which you are willfully ignoring.

ClockwiseSpark
11-23-2007, 01:44 PM
CS,

Yea...we kill three birds with one stone here:

1. First and foremost, we genuinely help people in need.
2. We give our foreign friends that support RP, and those who have already maxed out their $2300 limit (but have more to give) a place to do it!
3. We give ourselves some defensive "ammunition" against these bogus charges of anti-Semitism and racism.

I see it as a win, win, win, all around.

P.S. No group with enough public name recognition is "perfect" ideologically for what we are trying to accomplish. I did the best I could...and maybe some will say it wasn't good enough. But, I think it is good enough to work...I could be wrong...

Like I said, I think it's a great idea. It's one of the few ideas to come out of here that has no spin value for the MSM ( that I can see). That's why I think they will, for the most part, ignore it.
In the end though,the reactions of the MSM have had little effect on our actions, other than responding to thier attacks. So to them I say, smear us if you can, if won't stick and ignore us at your peril.

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 01:57 PM
OK...I've got to log off for a few hours. My daughter is coming from southern Maine with her fiancee and we are having Thanksgiving a day late.

Could someone give me a call if they see the first donation pop up at www.RonPaulLoveBomb.com... (207-532-3635)

That will make my whole day...got to start somewhere!

Knightskye
11-23-2007, 01:58 PM
If we raise a lot, I may try to get RP to go give the checks to the groups in person.

I don't think Ron Paul can give them the check if the grassroots raised the money. You can hand a check to Ron Paul for his campaign; you can hand a check to the charity place, but I don't think you can hand it to Ron to donate to the charity.

Anti Federalist
11-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Paul nation wrote:

Yeah, well, to the uniformed we are all a bunch of hippies/commies/nazis/conspiracy kooks/gold buggers and whatever else they can throw at us anyways.

A trite phrase, but maybe a "bomb" day devoted to "Random Acts of Kindness" at the grassroots level might work.

The organizations mentioned are top down, command and control donation machines with an agenda that is (probably) hostile to our message.

Julian Morrison
11-23-2007, 02:23 PM
When I first saw this, I thought "obvious scam!"

Who are you and why on earth should anyone trust you?
Why are you diverting money from RP to something completely unrelated?
What are these two charities (which I have never heard of), and why pick those over every other?
Most importantly: why ditch the traditional money bomb structure of coordinating private donations, and require all money be funneled via you?

As of right now, there's no absolutely solid indication you won't just run off with the money. RP supporters have shown they have deep pockets - I would not be at all surprised if this attracted crooks and con-artists.

After reading around, I'm less certain now it's a scam, but still if you are honest you urgently need to:

Replace the chipin with a pledge counter.
Refund existing payments. Ask people to make them again, directly, on the big day.
Explain everything!

Otherwise I'm sure people will have the same sinking feeling I had.

hasan
11-23-2007, 02:25 PM

Just a thought.

exactly what i was thinking.

if you do want to give a good impression to other demographics as well though you could try and reach ppl who have imminent need such as the flood victims in bangladesh. over 3000 are dead and thousands homeless. i suggest you add a section on your website for the flood victims if you really want to show love.

hasan
11-23-2007, 02:28 PM
there outta be some protocol for organizing ron paul chipins so that scams can be averted. if you have suggestions please post a new thread on this matter. i think AlexMerced has already done something along these lines but what we really need is protocol

Original_Intent
11-23-2007, 02:29 PM
I think these two charities were chosen specifically to address the accusations that Ron Paul is an anti-semite and a racist.

Julian Morrison
11-23-2007, 02:40 PM
...and they are likely to do nothing more than draw a lot of press attention to the accusations, in exactly the same way Nov 5th drew a lot of attention to Guy Fawkes.

Midnight77
11-23-2007, 02:43 PM
But how do we determine that all the funds are going to those charities?

This is why I am so leery to trust anything outside of the official campaign. Just too many scam artists out there.

liam
11-23-2007, 03:10 PM
I clicked on the site and got an error. When will be able to donate?

liam
11-23-2007, 03:15 PM
could the campaign not open up another official campaign account for this charitable lovebomb so every one is happy

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I tried to get the official campaign's advice. But, they haven't called me back (I left a detailed message for Kent Snyder) nor have they responded to my email.

Again, I understand people's concerns about being a "scam artist," and I will take any suggestions that will help alleviate that concern....

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 04:38 PM
I clicked on the site and got an error. When will be able to donate?

Others have said the same thing. I sent their messages (and yours) to the web guy (Tom) and we'll see what he finds out...

Oh and...not that it helps too much, perhaps, but you do have two of the earliest meetup group organizers (group #17 and group #23) involved with this, and I am sure we can get others (maybe even the official campaign--eventually--if they ever respond) to at least vouch for our integrity.

I know this is a problem...just not sure how to solve it yet...

Nefertiti
11-23-2007, 04:50 PM
This is simply a bad idea. You are asking non-Jews to donate to a fund that engages in religious activities, e.g.:

http://lubavitch.com/subsection.html?task=686

http://lubavitch.com/subsection.html?task=608

Now, how on earth do you expect any self-respecting and pious Christian, Muslim, atheist or any non-Jew to contribute to such activities??? This is not something that demonstrates tolerance or respect for Jews, it represents promoting their religion, plain and simple.

Jews are free to practice their own religion and I have no problem with that, but it is downright ridiculous to suggest that we must prove our lack of anti-Semitism by violating our own religious beliefs and supporting Jewish proselytizing.

SteveMartin
11-23-2007, 09:10 PM
This is simply a bad idea. You are asking non-Jews to donate to a fund that engages in religious activities, e.g.:

http://lubavitch.com/subsection.html?task=686

http://lubavitch.com/subsection.html?task=608

Now, how on earth do you expect any self-respecting and pious Christian, Muslim, atheist or any non-Jew to contribute to such activities??? This is not something that demonstrates tolerance or respect for Jews, it represents promoting their religion, plain and simple.

Jews are free to practice their own religion and I have no problem with that, but it is downright ridiculous to suggest that we must prove our lack of anti-Semitism by violating our own religious beliefs and supporting Jewish proselytizing.

We are not contributing to that. We are contributing to their relief efforts. The Social & Humanitarian Fund does a ton of good work.

Listen, everyone is free not to contribute. If you can't see the value of this--the massive potential "bang for the buck" in terms of positive publicity--then you can't see it, that's fine.

No one is coercing anybody to do something charitable in the name of Ron Paul.

Hook
11-23-2007, 09:28 PM
This is why voluntary charity is so much better than Federally coerced charity. People don't have to donate to causes they are against personally.

SteveMartin
11-24-2007, 03:24 PM
OK...I think the problem has been solved...You should be able to contribute at www.ronpaulLOVEbomb.com now, without glitches.

All European Ron Paul Meetup groups were now contacted over the past 10 minutes.

rockwell
11-24-2007, 03:27 PM

My name is Steve Martin, and I am the Meetup coordinator of Meetup #17 in Aroostook County, Maine. I am one of the earlier supporters of Dr. Paul's run for President, and I think I have stumbled upon an idea that will help the campaign, and also help others, in a number of ways.

Ron Paul supporters have been maligned in certain segments of the press recently because certain folks with despicable anti-Semitic or other racist views have made it known that they support Ron Paul or that they have contributed to his campaign.

Ron Paul supporters are loving people who share an interest in helping to shape the future of the country for the benefit of all Americans.

While we certainly understand that donations directly to the campaign are of the highest priority, we believe that this opportunity offers donors who have reached their $2300 limit, and international supporters, a way to contribute in another effective way to the campaign. Of course, all Ron Paul supporters who feel that the message that these donations will send is important may give as well.

We will be collecting funds at www.RonPaulLoveBomb up until December 30th, when we will distribute the funds collected as a "love bomb" to the following 2 charities:

1. The Social & Humanitarian Fund of Chabad-Lubavitch, a prominent Jewish charity

and...

This will be especially effective timing, as the funds will be distributed just before the Iowa Caucuses and the early primaries begin.

Please do what you can, and spread the word about the Ron Paul Love Bomb far and wide!

Steve Martin
mepatriot@juno.com
207-532-3635

What a pandering and disingenuous- not to mention wasteful- idea.

SteveMartin
11-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Well, you are certainly welcome to your opinion. If "pandering" gives Europeans and others who truly enjoy helping others the opportunity to do so, than I guess we need to change the definition of "pandering."

constituent
11-24-2007, 04:27 PM
excellent idea.... oh no, "might make us sound like hippies"... blah.

sounds like all the folks in here at first trash talking all the people saying
we should try to appeal to people in every political party...

calling us commies and what not.

this idea is absolutely golden. if you need any help writing/editing press releases,
advertisements, donation requests, etc. please contact me here or by e-mail.

maybe the charity choices could use some work.... so as to not seem contrived (or to be spun that way)...

perhaps taking a vote would be advantageous?

SteveMartin
11-24-2007, 04:40 PM
excellent idea.... oh no, "might make us sound like hippies"... blah.

sounds like all the folks in here at first trash talking all the people saying
we should try to appeal to people in every political party...

calling us commies and what not.

this idea is absolutely golden. if you need any help writing/editing press releases,
advertisements, donation requests, etc. please contact me here or by e-mail.

maybe the charity choices could use some work.... so as to not seem contrived (or to be spun that way)...

perhaps taking a vote would be advantageous?

Thanks, Constituent! It does seem that some "RP supporters" join various message boards just to knock other Ron Paul supporters and their ideas.

I have a degree in English and I am a published author, so press releases shouldn't be a problem, but what I really could use are some more ideas as to how to best spread the idea, and also ways to help allay any lingering concerns some may have about it being some kind of scam.

I have given all my contact info, and people can check my bonafides easily at meetup.com, but there may be even more we can do...

SteveMartin
11-24-2007, 08:38 PM
If this succeeds, we will reap immense advantages for those in need and for the campaign.

I beg of you all, think about it...think hard. Can't you see it??

SteveMartin
11-25-2007, 03:09 AM
We even have a video now, thanks to Doug Jones of Fredericksburg, VA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ozPqbzKbA0

Nefertiti
11-25-2007, 05:42 AM
We are not contributing to that. We are contributing to their relief efforts. The Social & Humanitarian Fund does a ton of good work.

Look, if there is one thing I don't like, if is being lied to and that is exactly what you are doing now. :mad::mad::mad: Those two efforts I linked to are part of the "Social and Humanitarian Fund." Don't come here and try and manipulate people into contributing money to a Jewish religious outreach effort through deception. By doing so you are mocking the religious beliefs of everyone who isn't Jewish.

Corydoras
11-25-2007, 06:06 AM
What are these two charities (which I have never heard of)

Not my business, really, but where did you grow up that you've never heard of them?
:eek:

LibertyEagle
11-25-2007, 06:12 AM

"Posting privileges under review"

It looks like the mods are wise to your "hidden agenda". ;)

LibertyEagle
11-25-2007, 06:17 AM
exactly what i was thinking.

if you do want to give a good impression to other demographics as well though you could try and reach ppl who have imminent need such as the flood victims in bangladesh. over 3000 are dead and thousands homeless. i suggest you add a section on your website for the flood victims if you really want to show love.

If you're wanting to impress Republicans, we should help Americans who are in need.

I agree with the other poster too, FWIW, about the name. I wish we could come up with something that sounds a little less like we're reinvented 60s flower children. :p

I do have a question on this whole thing though. I am more than likely very wrong, but this kinda smacked me like pandering, when I first saw it.

ladyliberty
11-25-2007, 06:29 AM

and...

Steve Martin
mepatriot@juno.com
207-532-3635

Might I suggest that we add homeless shelters in our local areas as part of this Love Bomb campaign? The homeless have come to my attention because they plan to protest at the CNN Debates next week.

SteveMartin
11-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Listen, if anyone still thinks this is some kind of scam, please give me a call. I will be glad to spend whatever time is necessary to convince you otherwise. My number: 207-532-3635. Or, you can call the NH folks with the official campaign (especially Kate, their press relations person) who know me. Or, you can also call or write the other meetup group coordinators in Maine (#23,#164, #311) who know what I have done prior to this effort.

And how can this be pandering by the campaign, when Ron Paul doesn't even (to my knowledge) know that it's happening?

I have noticed that the loudest belly-aching about the idea seems to be coming from people like "LoveRonPaulCanada" on the Yahoo group who also spout blatant anti-semitic views. Or, like a couple people (recently banned) from the national meetup message boards who were recently discovered to have been white supremacist leaders.

If these are the kinds of people some of you want to side with, you are certainly welcome to do so, but please allow those who disagree and have no other outlet for their financial support a place to do so.

The charities are set. I will see if Lubavitch has any program for the homeless, and if they do, I will see if we can designate a portion of their proceeds to that effort.

Corydoras
11-25-2007, 08:56 AM
I think it's a stroke of genius to choose a Lubavitcher charity in particular.

::applause::

constituent
11-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Not my business, really, but where did you grow up that you've never heard of them?
:eek:

i had never heard of the first one. are you saying there is something wrong w/ where i grew up?

got news for ya, in texas, "thems fightin' words."

Corydoras
11-25-2007, 09:16 AM
i had never heard of the first one. are you saying there is something wrong w/ where i grew up?

got news for ya, in texas, "thems fightin' words."

No offense intended. I just thought the Lubavitchers were at least as famous as the Old Order Amish, especially since they are much more widely geographically distributed than the Amish, so I was wondering where in the world you could be from that they weren't well known.

constituent
11-25-2007, 09:19 AM
i was just pullin' your leg man.

enjoy your sunday!

SteveMartin
11-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Please take a minute to check out this brand new thread on the official Ron Paul meetup message boards. If you weren't convinced of the absolute efficacy of this project before, you should be once you check this out, and read the new hit piece by "American Thinker" linked there:

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3852177

lastnymleft
11-25-2007, 11:20 AM
I believe that this effort can only end badly.

What have we got to gain?:

* What will donating en-masse do to counter perceptions/reality that specific followers hold unattractive viewpoints? Will it change the views of those with the unattractive views? Can the donations be in any way linked to those that hold those views? If not, then what does it matter that someone *else* isn't a racist?

* If 99.99% of RP supporters are saints, and accordingly donate, that's still not going to obviate the fact(?) that a very small proportion of RP supporters hold unattractive viewpoints. How are *the public* to tell the proportion of RP supporters that hold unattractive viewpoints? Is it 0.01% or is it 10% or is it 95%? This effort does nothing to clarify such, and is just a smokescreen.

* The Ron Paul grassroots campaign is all about genuineness. Being reactionary to such hit-pieces screams "Fake!" to me.

* Unless you can get those that are seen to hold unattractive viewpoints to donate, then it really is pointless. Some people hold unattractive views, and won't donate; some people hold attractive views, and will donate. So where's the surprise, or change in reality that will come from *some* donating?

* When Ron Paul is elected, it will be with the help of 70-80,000,000 people. That is a very large chunk of the American population. Accordingly, there will be ALL SORTS of people within that 70-80,000,000. It will truly be a cross-section of American society. If there are some with unattractive views within that 70-80,000,000, then that is more a reflection of American society, than it is a reflection on Dr Paul. The "problem" should be solved by addressing it within the broader community, not in any specific subset for which there's no indication that there is a disproportionately higher representation of those with unattractive viewpoints than there is in the general community. That there may be some people with unattractive views within the RP supporters is probably more a reflection of the fact that RP's support is moving up towards the desired 70-80,000,000, and is starting to accurately mirror larger society, as it should.

* For whom did these people vote in 2004? In 2000? In 1996? Unless it is expected that they not vote, or donate, at all, simply because they hold views different to the majority, then we have to expect that some will have voted for Bush, some will have voted for Clinton. Some will have voted for Gore, some will have voted for Kerry. So why make something over some of these people voting for Ron Paul? To reactionarily kowtow to those creating these "hit pieces", diverting our focus from the goal of getting Dr Paul elected, is to fall for their ploy. I believe staying the course is the best bet. We should not be reactionary to the hit pieces. There's no merit to their claims, so they will blow over.

* As per the last paragraph, how many of these people have been *identified*? Any that have it's been purely because they may have been high profile. Does that mean that there aren't such supporters in every other current campaign? Of course not. And where does it stop? Should we be judgemental about people with position X? What about with people 80% of X? 50% of X? Just a 10% X inclination? 1% of X?

From the above, I see no substantive gains to be made from this.

And what have we got to lose?:

* Diversion of funds that would otherwise be spent getting RP elected.

* Possible negative publicity/derision for being "stingey" (or - WORSE - _racists_), if the "love bomb" generates only a little cash - a definite possibility when using contentious charities that e.g. fund the proselytizing of one particular religion. Thisnovember5th set a high bar. All future donation events will be measured against it.

Given the apparent lack of positives from this effort, why paint ourselves into a corner from which there is no viable "winning" exit strategy? (Gee, sound familiar?)

The best way to fight these spurious claims is by getting people to listen to the purity of the message of Dr Paul himself, and with endorsements from groups such as JewsForThePreservationofFirearmOwnership, and jewsforRonPaul, and the fact that polls show Dr Paul is the leading candidate amongst blacks.

I would suggest, if you want to show that Ron Paul supporters are caring, go volunteer at a soup kitchen, wearing a Ron Paul T-shirt and/or button.

That's my opinion. BUT, it's a free market, so let the market decide.

SteveMartin
11-25-2007, 11:55 AM
And what have we got to lose?:

* Diversion of funds that would otherwise be spent getting RP elected.

* Possible negative publicity/derision for being "stingey" (or - WORSE - _racists_), if the "love bomb" generates only a little cash - a definite possibility when using contentious charities that e.g. fund the proselytizing of one particular religion. Thisnovember5th set a high bar. All future donation events will be measured against it.

Given the apparent lack of positives from this effort, why paint ourselves into a corner from which there is no viable "winning" exit strategy? (Gee, sound familiar?)

The best way to fight these spurious claims is by getting people to listen to the purity of the message of Dr Paul himself, and with endorsements from groups such as JewsForThePreservationofFirearmOwnership, and jewsforRonPaul, and the fact that polls show Dr Paul is the leading candidate amongst blacks.

1. NO...again, this is primarily an avenue for those who have no other outlet for donations, i.e. foreign supporters of RP and those who have maxed out their $2300 donation limit. It is NOT a diversion of funds which I have made clear countless times and in countless ways.

2. Well, let's promote it so this doesn't happen. And, even a few thousand is a donation these worthy charities would not have received otherwise. This has no connection to the November 5th or December 16th events and is designed for an entirely different purpose and directed at a totally different audience.

I agree there may be some risk in doing poorly, but that will be up to the market to decide, as was stated by others. Posting negativity like this towards the project can certainly have that affect.

Please remain neutral. Again, if you do not see the merits in the idea, you need do nothing to support it. Tearing it down CAN, however, help bring about some of the gloomier possibilities you've mentioned.

hillertexas
11-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Might I suggest that we add homeless shelters in our local areas as part of this Love Bomb campaign? The homeless have come to my attention because they plan to protest at the CNN Debates next week.

If the homeless are indeed planning to protest at the debate, we better have care packages ready to give to them when they are there. We can help people, get good media attention, and less of the homeless protest will be aimed at Ron Paul.

What do ya say we:
1. confirm the homeless protest
2. decide on what the care package will include (a slim jim in each one - homeless can vote)
3. supporters can put packages together and bring them to a location or mail to someone in the debate city.
4. local meetups can distribute

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 12:05 PM
hell, we should include signs with those packages so it might become a ron paul rally after all the packages are distributed

hillertexas
11-25-2007, 12:17 PM
I made a new thread to discuss the homeless protest at the debate:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=463465#post463465

SteveMartin
11-25-2007, 12:29 PM
All that having been said, I am also a realist and can clearly see already this isn't taking off as I had hoped it might. I will give it only a very short additional time, and then we will pull the plug.

SteveMartin
11-26-2007, 08:27 AM
I have instructed the webmaster to pull the site.

Sorry for all the excitement over nothing...

My intentions were honorable, but there does not seem to be enough support for the idea to render it effective.

ladyliberty
11-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Steve a Love Bomb is NOT a bad idea, we just need a focus. I say we ought to help the homeless cause (there are homeless throughout the country-not just St. Pete!)

They need backpacks, sleeping bags, and blankets the most. They also need video equipment to document the abuse of Police authority to exascerbate their misery. I explained to Rev. Wright that we are all a "group of individuals" just like each homeless persn is an individual with different and unique needs - so I cannot speak for all "Ron Paul Supporters" - but there are those of us who Support Ron Paul that also want to help them.

Here is the mailing address for anyone not attending the CNN Debate but wants to contribute to the homeless protesters in St. Pete :

make checks payable to: The Refuge Ministry

mail to:

Rev. Bruce Wright
1818 29th Ave. N.
St. Petersburg, FL 33713

ladyliberty
11-26-2007, 10:11 AM
:cool: Maybe you should write "Ron Paul Love Bomb" in the subject line of the check that you write - it can be for any amount of money BTW!