PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Glenn Beck w/ Jack Hunter, S4L: How Do We Bring Libertarians Together?

FrankRep
02-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Glenn Beck w/ Jack Hunter, S4L: How Do We Bring Libertarians Together? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLSo5o4lql4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLSo5o4lql4

Blaze TV star Glenn Beck invited prominent grassroots libertarian leaders Jack Hunter, Jacob Hornberger and Zach Slayback on his show today to discuss the state of the freedom movement. While libertarians and Beck have fueded in the past, Beck appears to be making very real and honest overtures to the limited government movement to convince them he is sincere. Beck has renounced the establishment GOP and has stated he is on board with Constitutionalists like Senator Rand Paul. If libertarian activists and conservative grassroots unite for a broader coalition, will there be a chance for a freedom president in 2016? Time will tell.

compromise
02-28-2013, 03:10 AM
Does anyone have a link to the next part (after the break)?

CaptUSA
02-28-2013, 04:55 AM
I try to imagine what my transformation to libertarianism would look like if it were televised. For me, it happened decades ago, but I made many of the same rationalizations back then. Beck's still got a long way to go, but I'm happy that these ideas are being discussed.

It doesn't help that Beck is the one asking questions... In my opinion, he could be led to the light easier if he tried finding the answers to the right questions.

A Son of Liberty
02-28-2013, 05:05 AM
I wish Hornsberger would have spoken more.

I don't have a problem with working with ANYONE. I will scream from the rooftops, however, the foreign interventionism has NO PLACE in the liberty movement, and anyone who calls himself a libertarian while advocates foreign interventionism is no libertarian at all.

Just like the guy who was "baffled" as to why anyone would oppose sanctions with North Korea, and considered them a threat to the United States, these people who are so afraid of these tiny, impoverished, two-bit countries half a world away that they advocate pre-emption and/or interventionism of any kind are irrational. They implicitly sanction every erosion of our liberties as a consequence... Guess what? Life has a 100% mortality rate - you can either go out and live it, or you can cower in fear, and beg for someone to protect you from every little threat. That's the same philosophy of leftists.

anaconda
02-28-2013, 05:23 AM
I am soooooo tired of libertarians that can't can't finally come out and say that the war on drugs is to build a framework for a police state and to create protected criminal monopolies from which to extract off-budget money for off budget and illegal projects.

Victor Grey
02-28-2013, 05:39 AM
these people who are so afraid of these tiny, impoverished, two-bit countries half a world away that they advocate pre-emption and/or interventionism of any kind are irrational. They implicitly sanction every erosion of our liberties as a consequence... Guess what? Life has a 100% mortality rate - you can either go out and live it, or you can cower in fear, and beg for someone to protect you from every little threat. That's the same philosophy of leftists.

My exact sentiments toward the interventionists myself.

awake
02-28-2013, 05:58 AM
"Brought together" is code for trying to shape a political support base from which to win elections. I'm completely fine with Libertarians that are very difficult to herd.

"Freedom President"?...seriously? This office is for one purpose only:making sure liberty is stamped out. Run the other way fast. You are about to be conned by fake-atarians.

The wolf needs desperately to appear as Little Red Riding Hoods grandmother. This is how libertarians will be used. The better to devour us all.

CaptLouAlbano
02-28-2013, 06:02 AM
That was a good segment, I hope the rest of it is put out there later today. From what I see, I am much more in line with Hunter than with Slayback. I am sure Slayback is well meaning, but he reminds me of someone that spent the last year or two reading every libertarian book he could get his hands on and is now regurgitating the "textbook ideology" as opposed to real world solutions.

jmdrake
02-28-2013, 06:38 AM
I'm glad Hunter put the nail in the "libertarians are sucking up to the left with drug legalization" argument by citing the fact that Pat Robertson came out for drug legalization.

July
02-28-2013, 06:49 AM
I thought it was a good mix. There are conservatives who are suspicious and distrustful of libertarians....and there are also libertarians who feel as Slayback does, that the philosophies are too distinct, or who don't want to work with conservatives for various reasons. Jack did a good job showing where the two sides overlap and meet in the middle. It seems he is as much trying to persuade libertarians as he is conservatives, that it's possible to work together.

This was a good clip.

Chieppa1
02-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Ugh what a waste of time. Let's act like legalizing drugs is nuts. And don't forget to bring up Ronald Reagan and how he "liked" libertarianism. Jack just gave a history lesson about playing nice...

Why can't someone on that panel speak up and list the things that Reagan did as president that any principled libertarian would protest? Is it because we keep getting this more "safe" activism?

Ron Paul didn't change hearts and minds by dancing around issues with words just to make it to the next TV appearance..

Working Poor
02-28-2013, 07:29 AM
That was pretty good. I can see that GB gets the 12 step concept of live and let live when he was talking about Anna Nicole some people's bottom is death.

Brett85
02-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Jack Hunter did a lot better than the other two libertarians in this discussion.

moostraks
02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
I wish Hornsberger would have spoken more.

I don't have a problem with working with ANYONE. I will scream from the rooftops, however, the foreign interventionism has NO PLACE in the liberty movement, and anyone who calls himself a libertarian while advocates foreign interventionism is no libertarian at all.

Just like the guy who was "baffled" as to why anyone would oppose sanctions with North Korea, and considered them a threat to the United States, these people who are so afraid of these tiny, impoverished, two-bit countries half a world away that they advocate pre-emption and/or interventionism of any kind are irrational. They implicitly sanction every erosion of our liberties as a consequence... Guess what? Life has a 100% mortality rate - you can either go out and live it, or you can cower in fear, and beg for someone to protect you from every little threat. That's the same philosophy of leftists.

Well said...

vita3
02-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Glenn Puke asks," how can I distract, control & make $$$ off these libertarians?"

FrankRep
02-28-2013, 08:59 AM
I really like that Jack Hunter says you can be conservative and libertarian at the same time. That's what the audience needs to hear.

jbauer
02-28-2013, 09:26 AM
I really like that Jack Hunter says you can be conservative and libertarian at the same time. That's what the audience needs to hear.

Why couldn't you be? I consider myself a blend of the two. I stand for some "conservative" issues such as abortion and belief in God. But I also beleive in someone else's ability to not. I came "on board" because of the Republicans left fiscal conservative in the dust.

compromise
02-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Fusionism and constitutional conservatism are what our founding fathers believed in, what much of the Old Right believed in, what early modern conservatives like Buckley believed in and what the Tea Party believes in. Fiscal conservatism, invidual liberty, limited government and religious values.

Bastiat's The Law
02-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Jack Hunter did a lot better than the other two libertarians in this discussion.
No offense to the other two, but I wish Jack Hunter had the floor for the full hour. The average person is not ready to be unplugged from the system. This is going to be a gradual process, heck, even Ron Paul acknowledged that with his targeted budget reduction.

ravedown
02-28-2013, 10:33 AM
man....im so tired hearing 'legalizing heroin' being mentioned as if it's the lynchpin of the libertarian agenda. as long as that is the focus of the discussion...the movement will have to wait a very long time before it's even considered mainstream. the minute that 'drugs' is brought up it needs to be neutralized and the discussion needs to be moved to individual liberty-why didn't beck have ron paul or tom woods on?- they're the best at this-these three guests only complicated the issue for the average viewer.

AGRP
02-28-2013, 10:41 AM
"Brought together" is code for trying to shape a political support base from which to win elections. I'm completely fine with Libertarians that are very difficult to herd.

"Freedom President"?...seriously? This office is for one purpose only:making sure liberty is stamped out. Run the other way fast. You are about to be conned by fake-atarians.

The wolf needs desperately to appear as Little Red Riding Hoods grandmother. This is how libertarians will be used. The better to devour us all.

If anything was learned in 2012, it was that the national election is nothing but a huge distraction.

sailingaway
02-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I'd say bring libertarians (big L or not) together far away from Beck, personally.

JK/SEA
02-28-2013, 01:28 PM
i'd love to hear REV9's take on the swirling mix of BS that appears to be surfacing now...but....he must be busy.

sailingaway
02-28-2013, 01:30 PM
i'd love to hear REV9's take on the swirling mix of BS that appears to be surfacing now...but....he must be busy.

I'd love to hear it, too.

purplechoe
02-28-2013, 06:44 PM
at 5:27 mark Beck says he's a conservative? I thought all his fans on this site were telling us that he's a libertarian just disagrees with us on a couple of the issues? I listened to some Beck stuff yesterday as well just to see what kind of things he's saying now verses a few years ago and I've come to the conclusion that he's pretty much the same, he's not changed to a more libertarian philosophy one bit. All those people who are long time members here who support this guy are either totally clueless or they are here working an agenda. I'm seriously done with all of you Glenn Beck fans...

sparebulb
02-28-2013, 07:06 PM
at 5:27 mark Beck says he's a conservative? I thought all his fans on this site were telling us that he's a libertarian just disagrees with us on a couple of the issues? I listened to some Beck stuff yesterday as well just to see what kind of things he's saying now verses a few years ago and I've come to the conclusion that he's pretty much the same, he's not changed to a more libertarian philosophy one bit. All those people who are long time members here who support this guy are either totally clueless or they are here working an agenda. I'm seriously done with all of you Glenn Beck fans...

plus one rep for you

Beck hasn't changed one little bit.

The only thing that has changed is certain peoples' ability to recognize shit from shinola.

Brett85
02-28-2013, 09:27 PM

He says that he's a conservative and a libertarian, as does Jack Hunter.

emazur
02-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Why did Beck call John Mackey (Whole Foods CEO) a liberal? Mackey calls himself a libertarian and when asked said he voted Libertarian in '08

purplechoe
02-28-2013, 11:22 PM
He says that he's a conservative and a libertarian, as does Jack Hunter.

Jack Hunter is another opportunist as far as I'm concerned...

I think I get it now, most of these so called Ron Paul supporters who like Glenn Beck seem to be not as concerned about foreign policy and legalization of drugs, only oppose it passively as if it's something they are supposed to do. That would explain why they are so down on Kokesh and support Beck because deep down inside they are selfish individuals who only care about the issues that effect them directly like taxation, etc... and not issues that effect the society as a whole. I could be wrong about some, but it's probably true about most of them...

NewRightLibertarian
02-28-2013, 11:30 PM

I think I get it now, most of these so called Ron Paul supporters who like Glenn Beck seem to be not as concerned about foreign policy and legalization of drugs, only oppose it passively as if it's something they are supposed to do. That would explain why they are so down on Kokesh and support Beck because deep down inside they are selfish individuals who only care about the issues that effect them directly like taxation, etc... and not issues that effect the society as a whole. I could be wrong about some, but it's probably true about most of them...

It's because they're statists who don't mind the force of the state coming down on those who they consider to be 'degenerates.' They also don't mind when scary-looking foreigners get murdered ruthlessly as well. They're mostly concerned about their own pocket book and political power, and they're working on alienating principled liberty activists as we speak so they can kowtow to neocons like Beck.

cajuncocoa
02-28-2013, 11:33 PM

+rep...it's something I've noticed too.

oyarde
02-28-2013, 11:40 PM
Glenn Beck w/ Jack Hunter, S4L: How Do We Bring Libertarians Together? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLSo5o4lql4)

Blaze TV star Glenn Beck invited prominent grassroots libertarian leaders Jack Hunter, Jacob Hornberger and Zach Slayback on his show today to discuss the state of the freedom movement. While libertarians and Beck have fueded in the past, Beck appears to be making very real and honest overtures to the limited government movement to convince them he is sincere. Beck has renounced the establishment GOP and has stated he is on board with Constitutionalists like Senator Rand Paul. If libertarian activists and conservative grassroots unite for a broader coalition, will there be a chance for a freedom president in 2016? Time will tell.

I am not even sure Libertarians can be brought together with the exception of a few core issues. Those being small Fed Govt and fiscally conservative , anti Empire , that is about it , I reckon.

Teenager For Ron Paul
02-28-2013, 11:43 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of libertarianism being associated with Glenn Beck (and vice versa)?

sailingaway
02-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of libertarianism being associated with Glenn Beck (and vice versa)?

You are not the only one. But he used tea party too and changed 'what it stood for'. I find it easier to follow the principles and not worry about lables. This whole nonsense of 'bringing people together' means, imho, selling out and following a pretend strategy etc. to justify putting off or only giving lip service to principles. If the principles are being pushed, we'd be there, there would be no need to 'bring' us.

NIU Students for Liberty
02-28-2013, 11:52 PM

I have no problem with Ron Paul's version of bi-partisanship where you work with different ideologues on issues that you BOTH agree with but Beck and many of the other Johnny-Come-Lately opportunists give me the impression that they're more concerned with beating Blue Team just for the sake of beating Blue Team. So of course Beck wants libertarians and Republicans to join together for this "dire" cause.

A Son of Liberty
03-01-2013, 04:27 AM

It's because they're statists who don't mind the force of the state coming down on those who they consider to be 'degenerates.' They also don't mind when scary-looking foreigners get murdered ruthlessly as well. They're mostly concerned about their own pocket book and political power, and they're working on alienating principled liberty activists as we speak so they can kowtow to neocons like Beck.

You are not the only one. But he used tea party too and changed 'what it stood for'. I find it easier to follow the principles and not worry about lables. This whole nonsense of 'bringing people together' means, imho, selling out and following a pretend strategy etc. to justify putting off or only giving lip service to principles. If the principles are being pushed, we'd be there, there would be no need to 'bring' us.

Agreed on all points above.

I have no problem with Ron Paul's version of bi-partisanship where you work with different ideologues on issues that you BOTH agree with but Beck and many of the other Johnny-Come-Lately opportunists give me the impression that they're more concerned with beating Blue Team just for the sake of beating Blue Team. So of course Beck wants libertarians and Republicans to join together for this "dire" cause.

Principled libertarians either didn't vote, or wrote in Ron Paul; either way, we don't represent significant enough numbers at this point to be worthwhile to court politically. However, the roots of our ideology seems to be emerging within the GOP, so ninny-interventionists like Beck are, in my opinion, getting in on the ground floor in an effort to make sure that whatever does grow any further does not represent a threat to certain pet issues.

bunklocoempire
03-01-2013, 04:54 AM

It really is that simple. Just 'Keep on keeping on'.

Consistency is where it's at -and if you can't piece that together you keep your mouth shut until you can at least come to terms with it in some small way.

Beck and some others haven't been the ones to do this.

compromise
03-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Why did Beck call John Mackey (Whole Foods CEO) a liberal? Mackey calls himself a libertarian and when asked said he voted Libertarian in '08

Agreed. Mackey is conservative on many major issues, like global warming, labor unions, healthcare, etc.

July
03-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Mackey said on a recent Lew Rockwell interview that he used to consider himself a progressive, when he was younger and just out of college, starting out in the food co-op business, etc. He's an example of someone changing their views to a more libertarian perspective over time.

AuH20
03-01-2013, 11:22 AM

You can make the very same point about hardcore libertarians being selfish.

compromise
03-01-2013, 11:59 AM

True. A lot of the people obsessed with pot legalization are pot users themselves.

sailingaway
03-01-2013, 12:06 PM
True. A lot of the people obsessed with pot legalization are pot users themselves.

The laws are insane. Get into the ECONOMICS of locking up a college kid for ten years and putting a felony on his record so his employment thereafter is jeapardized.

Look at the corporate cronyism of the prison system and all the money drained from productive use.

No matter how you cut it, our drug laws are crazy. And I don't smoke.

AuH20
03-01-2013, 12:15 PM

Colorado is a perfect example. Many libertarians clamored for pot legalization, but the state is on the precipice of passing draconian gun legislation. Selfish little buggers who deserve their chains.

sailingaway
03-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Colorado is a perfect example. Many libertarians clamored for pot legalization, but the state is on the precipice of passing draconian gun legislation. Selfish little buggers who deserve their chains.

Of course the reverse could be said for those who would show up in droves to fight gun registration but not to fight for pot legalization. Everyone has issues that hit home more personally.

AuH20
03-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Of course the reverse could be said for those who would show up in droves to fight gun registration but not to fight for pot legalization. Everyone has issues that hit home more personally.

I think it's more about attracting full-spectrum libertarians as opposed to single issue voters. The same phenomenon happens to so-called "conservative" voters who latch onto one issue.

sailingaway
03-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I think it's more about attracting full-spectrum libertarians as opposed to single issue voters. The same phenomenon happens to so-called "conservative" voters who latch onto one issue.

No matter how 'full spectrum' you are, people are going to have different hot buttons that cause them to show up at hearings and walk petitions.

If asked, those people might still be 'full spectrum'. Personally, legalizing pot isn't one of my hot buttons, but I'm all for it. I sign petitions people have out, but I don't walk them around.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I really like Beck's TV set.

Bastiat's The Law
03-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Has anyone begged to ask the question......

WHERE'S THE FULL VIDEO???? :cool:

purplechoe
03-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Bullshit! I don't do drugs and want them legalized because it's unfair and peoples bodies belong to them, I'm a white guy but don't like the idea of my money going to kill tan skinned people in the middle east. I'm a Christian who believes that helping thy neighbor is up to individuals, not paying taxes and hoping that some of it will trickle down through the state to the needy, etc...

You're exactly the type of a person I was talking about in my previous post...

P.S. I think Ayn Rand was a disgusting person even though I appreciate her books...

purplechoe
03-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Bullshit! Another fucking genius over here, do the rest of us a favor and take your head out of your ass because it stinks...

HigherVision
03-01-2013, 09:46 PM
This guy Jack Hunter is a fucking douche bag, I don't care if I get in trouble for saying it. Glenn Beck is trash.

FrankRep
03-02-2013, 07:52 AM
This guy Jack Hunter is a fucking douche bag, I don't care if I get in trouble for saying it. Glenn Beck is trash.

What's wrong with Jack Hunter?

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-02-2013, 07:57 AM
What's wrong with Jack Hunter?

His hair. But apart from that he's awesome. Incredibly smart, articulate, a great ambassador for the liberty movement.

LibertyEagle
03-02-2013, 08:03 AM
His hair. But apart from that he's awesome. Incredibly smart, articulate, a great ambassador for the liberty movement.

Agreed.

TokenLibertarianGuy
03-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Agreed.

You don't like his hair? :p

LibertyEagle
03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
You don't like his hair? :p

lol. Well, I think it could use a bit of improvement. :)