PDA

View Full Version : Couple faces FELONY rap for trying to sneak into zombie movie

green73
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
FEBRUARY 26--Meet Lendsey and Delilha Harbin

The married couple went to the movies Saturday night at a multiplex in Portage, Indiana, where they watched “Snitch,” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. When the action flick ended, the Harbins exited theater #13 and headed into theater #15, where the zombie film “Warm Bodies” was about to start.

The Harbins, however, had not purchased $6.75 tickets to the second movie, which resulted in the duo’s arrest for felony theft, according to a Portage Police Department report.

Two off-duty cops working security at the Portage 16 IMAX were standing outside theater #13 as “Snitch” was letting out. One officer reported alerting to Lendsey Harbin, 49, due to his “very colorful clothing, white vest, white dress pants, and a bright red shirt.” The second cop advised that he thought the Harbins had previously “attempted to sneak into movies without paying for the tickets.”

After the cops could not locate the Harbins in the hallway, they canvassed surrounding theaters and found the couple waiting for “Warm Bodies” to begin. After previews had ended and the movie started, the officers approached the Harbins and requested they exit the theater.

When asked for their ticket stubs, the Harbins came up empty. “I know we done wrong,” said Delilha Harbin, 40. The pair reportedly “advised they had snuck into movies at this movie complex 3 to 4 other times.” The Harbins, who live in nearby Gary, Indiana, also claimed they “were at a funeral all day and just were not thinking correctly.”

The duo was “taken into custody without incident” and transported to the Porter County jail, where they were booked on the felony count and later released on their own recognizance

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/felony-for-sneaking-into-movie-687341

dannno
02-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Wow, I used to go to the movie theater all day long when I was a kid. This is retarded. If the theater cares that much they need to just check ticket stubs at the door.

How is it a felony to steal $6.75 in such a non-violent manner?

dannno
02-27-2013, 06:09 PM
I saw Warm Bodies, it's kinda silly, but really not bad for what it is.

BSU kid
02-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Technically it is stealing, and for once I support their punishment. Although a misdemeanor makes more sense in this case, its possible the cops profiled them since they are from Gary...hell that seems pretty likely.

presence
02-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Rediculous.

Strip VOTING RIGHTS
Strip GUN RIGHTS

over sneaking in to see an extra movie?

really?

I don't sneak into theatres... but f that.

presence
02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
shit...

petty theft is a felony in Indiana:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar43/ch4.html
http://www.myindianadefenselawyer.com/criminal-charges/theft-shoplifting/

If you are caught knowingly or intentionally controlling someone else’s property with the intent to keep it from them you may be charged with theft.
Theft is a Class D felony punishable by 6 months to 3 years in prison.
However, if the value of the property is more than $100,000 you may face Class C felony charges and a potential sentence of 2-8 years in prison.

Ref: IC 35-43-4-2 (http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar43/ch4.html)

While I certainly don't endorse theft....

Never vote again, never own a gun, and minimum six months in a cage over a $6.75 movie ticket?

I thought most states had a 1000, 1500, or 5k minimum until theft became a felony.

WOW

coastie
02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
The pair reportedly “advised they had snuck into movies at this movie complex 3 to 4 other times.”

http://www.picvalley.net/u/2879/809496710188543871362010802GMsf9TJggOjww7N8c0mb.JP G (http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/2879/809496710188543871362010802GMsf9TJggOjww7N8c0mb.JP G)

SeanTX
02-27-2013, 06:21 PM
It could have been worse, the Down's Syndrome guy in Frederick, MD was murdered by deputies for trying to watch a movie a second time.

HOLLYWOOD
02-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Could of said, "Well, the movie we just watched sucked, wasted 2 hours of our lives, and we're currently getting our refund watching this silly movie.

PS: WTF are cops working movie theater cineplex's? Is that the only place of crime or they like to take first jobs away from teenagers who are suffering a 25% unemployment rate?

acptulsa
02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
The 'victim' is not a person, but a corporation. So, of course the 'crime' is a felony... :rolleyes:

presence
02-27-2013, 06:40 PM
wait a minute... what we're really looking at a is a forced plea bargain

Conversion – Laws & Penalties You may be charged with criminal conversion if you knowingly or intentionally exert control over someone else’s property without permission. Criminal conversion is slightly less serious than “theft” because you didn’t show intent to deprive. For instance, if you borrow someone’s property and intend to return it, but don’t have permission, you could face criminal conversion charges.

Criminal conversion, generally, is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and fines reaching $5,000. If the conversion involved converting someone’s vehicle in order to use it in a crime, the charge can be elevated to either a Class D or Class C felony depending on the circumstances. This more serious conversion charge could carry as much as 8 years in prison.

Ref: IC 35-43-4-3 (http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar43/ch4.html)

Indiana Shoplifting Laws There is no specific shoplifting statute under Indiana theft laws. For incidents of shoplifting items valued at under $250, you are generally charged with criminal conversion, a Class A misdemeanor.

If they had the balls to take it to trial they'd probably walk.

GunnyFreedom
02-27-2013, 06:54 PM
wait a minute... what we're really looking at a is a forced plea bargain

If they had the balls to take it to trial they'd probably walk.

Only if a grand jury or a judge failed to allow the consideration of the lesser charge, which oversight I would not foresee.

thoughtomator
02-27-2013, 06:55 PM
They should have done something with less risk of getting caught, like crashing the economy.

dannno
02-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Technically it is stealing, and for once I support their punishment. Although a misdemeanor makes more sense in this case, its possible the cops profiled them since they are from Gary...hell that seems pretty likely.

No technically it is not stealing, there was no theft here, there's no physical property that was stolen. If anything, the theater should be policing their own ticket stubs and if they catch a customer theater hopping they should ask them to leave. If they don't leave, then you can threaten to call the cops because they are trespassing. If they still don't leave, then I guess you can call the cops if that's how you would want to handle it. But they didn't steal anything. You sound like the RIAA.

I'm guessing the judge throws this one out and calls the cop and idiot.

thoughtomator
02-27-2013, 07:25 PM
It's not stealing, it's trespassing, and the cops had no business enforcing it on their own without being directed to do so by the private property owner. It wouldn't terribly surprise me if this ended up as an unlawful arrest suit.

DamianTV
02-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Freedom of Speech, it seems, does not include the Freedom to Listen. Yeah yeah, you're supposed to buy a movie ticket.

presence
02-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Technically its a small claims civil suit for the Theatre, and an unlawful arrest against the police department. They should have been allowed to leave when asked to.

Its really ridiculous when you consider just how petty of shit police are involved with.

I mean really? How many unsolved rapes and murders are on the books?

Enforcement shouldn't take a greater toll on society than the crime itself. All of this shit is over 13 bucks in movie tickets. Shit like this should be a citation. $150. Next.

BSU kid
02-27-2013, 08:32 PM
No technically it is not stealing, there was no theft here, there's no physical property that was stolen. If anything, the theater should be policing their own ticket stubs and if they catch a customer theater hopping they should ask them to leave. If they don't leave, then you can threaten to call the cops because they are trespassing. If they still don't leave, then I guess you can call the cops if that's how you would want to handle it. But they didn't steal anything. You sound like the RIAA.

I'm guessing the judge throws this one out and calls the cop and idiot.

By that logic I could hire a plumber and not pay him, go watch the Chicago Bulls every night without paying a dime, and as icing on the cake I could by a ticket to Orlando but decide when I get to the airport that I want to visit Denver, so I hop on that plane instead (with my Orlando ticket). No "theft" occurred, right? There was no exchange of "physical property", so technically I'm not stealing anything by your logic.

green73
02-27-2013, 09:00 PM

ur insane.

green73
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Freedom of Speech, it seems, does not include the Freedom to Listen. Yeah yeah, you're supposed to buy a movie ticket.

Just don't make them felons. Cut off their heads!

QuickZ06
02-27-2013, 09:12 PM
These cops, fighting the good fight :rolleyes: Don't pay for both tickets, slammer, rape cage, bars, and get "the works".

BSU kid
02-27-2013, 09:57 PM
ur insane.

I'm insane for supporting a businesses right to receive payment for a service rendered? Yes because that is quite insane.

thoughtomator
02-27-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm insane for supporting a businesses right to receive payment for a service rendered? Yes because that is quite insane.

Stealing just isn't the right name for the offense.

Also, as I have learned from conducting my own business, there is no "right to receive payment". You need to build getting paid into your business process in order to secure payment, otherwise, as I have learned in the past to my chagrin, you are working only in the hope of getting paid for it. The key to getting paid for service is to refuse service when you are not paid - in other words, it's the theater's responsibility to police the attendance at their establishment, and there's only an actual crime here if they did so and the person refused to leave private property.

Philhelm
02-27-2013, 11:27 PM
A felony? The Harbin's must have thought they lived in the United States to try that kind of thing. Movie hopping is strictly enforced in this country.

enjerth
02-27-2013, 11:41 PM

Did anyone think to ask the "thieves" to leave, first? Or even ask them if, they in fact, had a ticket? Or, if the place was interested in profits, ask the intruding patrons to purchase additional tickets, before involving "the only ones who can answer these tough questions", our "authority" figures?

What a fool if they really did have tickets, eh? You threaten assault-by-officer on your patrons who, after you suspect they stole a showing and you call the law in, they prove they have receipts for two showings?

I shudder to ask...... what might they do to me if I skip out on the previews?

DamianTV
02-28-2013, 01:40 AM

I shudder to ask...... what might they do to me if I skip out on the previews?

Raise the price of your popcorn to $10 bucks per bucket! Oh, wait, they already did that...

dannno
02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
By that logic I could hire a plumber and not pay him, go watch the Chicago Bulls every night without paying a dime, and as icing on the cake I could by a ticket to Orlando but decide when I get to the airport that I want to visit Denver, so I hop on that plane instead (with my Orlando ticket). No "theft" occurred, right? There was no exchange of "physical property", so technically I'm not stealing anything by your logic.

The plumber will make you sign something before he begins work that if he completes it you will pay him the quoted amount, so that has nothing to do with my logic. You don't sign anything when you go into a theater, they let you on their property. It is up to them to police your activity and ask you to leave. If you steal physical property from them, then they can call the cops. If you violate the terms of being there without committing a crime, then they need to ask you to leave first. If you don't leave, then they can call the cops and say you are trespassing.

green73
02-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Free the Harbins!

asurfaholic
02-28-2013, 01:12 PM
The plumber will make you sign something before he begins work that if he completes it you will pay him the quoted amount, so that has nothing to do with my logic. You don't sign anything when you go into a theater, they let you on their property. It is up to them to police your activity and ask you to leave. If you steal physical property from them, then they can call the cops. If you violate the terms of being there without committing a crime, then they need to ask you to leave first. If you don't leave, then they can call the cops and say you are trespassing.

Its really pathetic that you actually had to spell that out... Where has all the common sense gone?

qh4dotcom
02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
I don't feel too sorry for them...they are likely Obama supporters...and yes, they should have been given a warning instead of arrested.

GunnyFreedom
02-28-2013, 02:22 PM

I don't understand how this is not obvious to any thinking person. :(

green73
02-28-2013, 02:42 PM
I don't feel too sorry for them...they are likely Obama supporters...and yes, they should have been given a warning instead of arrested.

How do you know they are not Paul supporters?

qh4dotcom
02-28-2013, 08:42 PM
How do you know they are not Paul supporters?

Go look at their photo....do they look like libertarians to you?

AFPVet
02-28-2013, 09:33 PM
shit...

petty theft is a felony in Indiana:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar43/ch4.html
http://www.myindianadefenselawyer.com/criminal-charges/theft-shoplifting/

While I certainly don't endorse theft....

Never vote again, never own a gun, and minimum six months in a cage over a $6.75 movie ticket?

I thought most states had a 1000, 1500, or 5k minimum until theft became a felony.

WOW

Yes, but we usually charged them with criminal conversion (I.C. 35-43-4-3) for petty theft. For something like this, it would be a misdemeanor. While it is up to the prosecutor as to whether or not they will be hooked up on CC or felony theft, they usually downgraded the theft to criminal conversion unless the dollar amount was high enough.

green73
02-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Go look at their photo....do they look like libertarians to you?

I don't judge books by their covers.