PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Beck to have discussion with YOUNG AMERICANS FOR LIBERTY tonight.

garyallen59
02-27-2013, 12:22 PM
First off sorry for another Beck thread.

but...

Beck announced on his radio show this morning that he will be having young libertarians on The Glenn Beck Program tonight a 5 to discuss libertarianism.

So that should be an interesting watch.

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Those poor kids.

DGambler
02-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Hope they're good debaters, he'll try and pin them in and paint them as hating America.

Where would we watch this? I'd prefer youtube after so I don't give Mr. Vicks any sort of traffic.

cajuncocoa
02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
What could go wrong? /sarcasm

sailingaway
Hope they're good debaters, he'll try and pin them in and paint them as hating America.

Where would we watch this? I'd prefer youtube after so I don't give Mr. Vicks any sort of traffic.

I think he'll flatter them, feed them a few things they can agree with, and try to make them affirm that he too is libertarian. He sure isn't getting affirmation from us, and needs it, to take the role of a leader in a movement antithetical to him.

garyallen59
Hopefully somebody will tube it.

This could be very good or it could be a disaster.

Hopefully both sides are respectful.

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Hopefully somebody will tube it.

This could be very good or it could be a disaster.

Hopefully both sides are respectful.

I hope not. I hope the kids are incredibly sharp and, sure, respectful, but savvy enough not to let him use them to pretend he himself is something he opposes daily.

kathy88
02-27-2013, 12:31 PM
First off sorry for another Beck thread.

but...

Beck announced on his radio show this morning that he will be having young libertarians on The Glenn Beck Program tonight a 5 to discuss libertarianism.

So that should be an interesting watch.

He had a call into Rand's office to discuss Hagel. Did Rand ever call in?

garyallen59
Also from another thread on here it appears Jack Hunter will be on the same show.

That's good.

cajuncocoa
I hope not. I hope the kids are incredibly sharp and, sure, respectful, but savvy enough not to let him use them to pretend he himself is something he opposes daily.

^^^this.

garyallen59
02-27-2013, 12:32 PM

He said Rand would be on the show tomorrow.

cajuncocoa
02-27-2013, 12:33 PM

I was listening for that. If he did, I missed it but I was only away from the radio for about 10 minutes of his first hour.

NIU Students for Liberty
02-27-2013, 12:34 PM
I hope this goes beyond the topics addressed on Stossel (gay marriage) when Ann Coulter was on the panel. These libertarians need to bring up foreign policy and call Beck out on it.

Fukthenannystate
02-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Exactly what us young libertarians need... a lecture from Glenn Beck.. that'll learn us

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Exactly what us young libertarians need... a lecture from Glenn Beck.. that'll learn us

These people agreed to be on. They either have their own agenda (whether be to spread the message, reach out, etc), or are just some YAF folks GB decided to call libertarians so he could dazzle them and say 'we are on the same team'.

I wish them well, but I wish GB far away from the term 'libertarianism' just because he poisons everything he touches.

CTRattlesnake
02-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Time for Glenn Beck to retire

kathy88
02-27-2013, 12:39 PM
I was listening for that. If he did, I missed it but I was only away from the radio for about 10 minutes of his first hour.

What was Beck's take on the Hagel vote?

garyallen59
02-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Well, he didn't like it, but figured Rand had his reasons. Didn't really say anything bad about Rand just wants to know why he didn't vote against him. One of the other hosts wondered if Rand thinks the president has leeway over these types of positions why he planned on voting against Brennan but not Hagel. So they think he's being inconsistent. They also said Rand doesn't seem like a guy who could be bought or pressured into voting a certain way. Rand'll set 'em straight.

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Dammit!! This isn't 'with young libertarians', this is with YAL!! I just got an email! MAN I wish them well!

--

Dammit dammit they are bribing YAL, IMHO!! This is RON'S group, I find this really worrisome.

http://img.mailchimp.com/2008/12/11/db74477157_yal_logo_600w.jpg

There has been lots of discussion about Glenn Beck recently.

Ever since he broke away from Fox News, Glenn has started his own media company and moved in a more libertarian direction. In fact, now he openly calls himself a libertarian.

Regardless of whether or not that's true, TODAY @ 5 p.m. EST / 4 p.m. CST, YAL's Director of Outreach, Jack Hunter, will appear on Glenn Beck's program for a full hour to discuss the philosophy of liberty and the movement surrounding our ideas.

Glenn's producer has offered YAL's network free access to their subscription TV network, so you can tune in and watch the conversation today. It's a talk you don't want to miss!

TO WATCH FROM YOUR COMPUTER
[deleted because the email says not to share]

Once you're logged in, look at the far right column to find a box (third from the top) which says, "LIVE NOW: Glenn Beck Program/Real News." Click on that, and the player will launch with the show.
If you can't watch the show live, you can watch it "on demand" after the show is finished by following this login process and navigating through the show calendar on the Blaze website.
That's it! It's a pretty easy process.

One small request: Please do not share these logins publicly. These were created for YAL use only (another great benefit of being part of YAL's network).

If your friends or chapter members would like to receive exclusive benefits like this in the future, please encourage them to join YAL.

So, be sure to tune in today and support Jack as he discusses the liberty movement on the Glenn Beck Program!

For liberty,

Jeff Frazee
YAL Executive Director

I don't care about Jack and Rand going there, they can take care of themselves, but these guys are really good and getting into very deep and smarmy waters, imho. Why RON'S group? Do I even have to ask? He wants control/influence over the only real challenge out there.

garyallen59
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Dammit!! This isn't 'with young libertarians', this is with YAL!! I just got an email! MAN I wish them well!

--

Dammit dammit they are bribing YAL, IMHO!! This is RON'S group, I find this really worrisome.

I don't care about Jack and Rand going there, they can take care of themselves, but these guys are really good and getting into very deep and smarmy waters, imho. Why RON'S group? Do I even have to ask? He wants control/influence over the only real challenge out there.

I'm not worried. They can take care of themselves.

sailingaway
I'm not worried.

I am.

Just saying 'he is going in a more libertarian direction' shows they aren't up on his doing the EXACT SAME THING in 2008/9 then shafting the only true liberty candidates and coopting groups open to them, imho.

This link introduces the kids drawn by Ron's message to BECK as a trustworthy source, and he isn't.

FSP-Rebel
This will be great exposure for YAL, freaking great!

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Now I'm CERTAIN he will be courting and charming not challenging except with soft balls so he can disingenuously agree with them after having been persuaded.

Puke Puke Puke.

Frazee is great. I am just keeping that firmly in mind as a mantra.

bolil
02-27-2013, 01:05 PM
I am drafting a letter to Beck right now:

Dear Mr. Beck,

I've heard that you have recently decided to designate yourself a libertarian. Keep in mind that such designations, be it by self or by others, are nominal things, and mere nomenclature is rendered irrelevant by the fact of action.
You have in the past espoused opinions, very emotionally, that run antithetical to the consistent principles of a libertarian. Are you prepared to recant you past positions, publicly, while also offering an epexegesis detailing why these positions were wrong?
I'll not list here the positions you've held that run counter to libertarianism, as any honest conversion you have had should have also identified such positions that you've held in the past.
Mr. Beck, I do hope your 'conversion' is ingenuous, but as you and I both know there is much deception in the plane of politics and young libertarians, like myself, require something more substantial than wind that is to say: words.

---- Please let me know local libertarians if I am going wrong.

Letter is sent. I guess I will see.

No Free Beer
02-27-2013, 01:07 PM
you guys didn't know?

Glenn beck has ALWAYS been a libertarian.

VBRonPaulFan
02-27-2013, 01:12 PM
This guy is a goddamned crybaby.

For years, he dismissed us, ridiculed us, chastised us, called us domestic terrorists and told millions that we hated America, or the Republican Party, etc. He was as establishment as they came, and was perfectly fine with that.

Now he flips a 180 and spouts off that he's libertarian for a couple of months, and he expects us to come galloping to his side? Are you joking me? He's the one that burned his bridges. Now he wants us to rebuild them without putting in more than a little bit of work? Sorry, but it takes more than a couple of weeks/months to repair the image he's built for the past several years. Actions matter more than words anyways. When he proves he's started taking up our ideas, we'll open up to him. Until them, he needs to man up and quit crying like a bitch.

I have nothing against welcoming people opening up to our ideas. I'm not gonna be so quick to jump on the bandwagon of a guy who found joy in calling us crazy or irrelevant or whatever else that he did for so long, not without good reason to think he's actually changed.

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 01:13 PM

For years, he dismissed us, ridiculed us, chastised us, called us domestic terrorists and told millions that we hated America, or the Republican Party, etc. He was as establishment as they came, and was perfectly fine with that.

Now he flips a 180 and spouts off that he's libertarian for a couple of months, and he expects us to come galloping to his side? Are you joking me? He's the one that burned his bridges. Now he wants us to rebuild them without putting in more than a little bit of work? Sorry, but it takes more than a couple of weeks/months to repair the image he's built for the past several years. Actions matter more than words anyways. When he proves he's started taking up our ideas, we'll open up to him. Until them, he needs to man up and quit crying like a bitch.

I have nothing against welcoming people opening up to our ideas. I'm not gonna be so quick to jump on the bandwagon of a guy who found joy in calling us crazy or irrelevant or whatever else that he did for so long, not without good reason to think he's actually changed.

Particularly when he already did the 'reformed, now I'm a libertarian' route in 2008/9 with disasterous (to us) results.

kcchiefs6465
02-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Is this the same group that sent Glenn Beck the open letter, cajun?

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Is this the same group that sent Glenn Beck the open letter, cajun?

No that was Students For Liberty and partially explains why they didn't get this, I guess, but they also aren't growing like YAL so I suspect Beck wanted YAL for that reason. It undercuts Ron's web programing when it comes out if YAL already has a 'junior Beckian' position on his show, or at least gives Beck more credibility. Because Beck has zero.

cajuncocoa
02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
I heard he'll have a call in to Rand tomorrow...should be interesting.

NIU Students for Liberty
02-27-2013, 01:34 PM
No that was Students For Liberty and partially explains why they didn't get this, I guess, but they also aren't growing like YAL so I suspect Beck wanted YAL for that reason. It undercuts Ron's web programing when it comes out if YAL already has a 'junior Beckian' position on his show, or at least gives Beck more credibility. Because Beck has zero.

Although Students for Liberty is comprised of college students, they don't actually have campus chapters like YAL does. They're more of a reach-out organization that helps provide resources for libertarian college groups.

kcchiefs6465
02-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Ahh. Well, in that case, cliff notes should suffice. Hopefully they call him out on his treatment of Debra Medina and on his earlier foreign policy views. Let me know when [if, :rolleyes:] he apologizes and recants his earlier rhetorical propaganda and I'd consider giving him a listen. Also must be free of mocking condescension from his stooges. I know, I know. My criteria is high, and is probably unreasonable given the circumstances, but it's what I need.

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Although Students for Liberty is comprised of college students, they don't actually have campus chapters like YAL does. They're more of a reach-out organization that helps provide resources for libertarian college groups.

I'm not opposed to S4L, they are good people. I didn't like their Koch funding and selection of candidates, entirely, (they showcased GJ not Ron in the CPAC 2011 I believe). But now Kochs are throwing money at YAL too, because YAL is successful, and maybe that is all it ever was with S4L as well. I've seen good stuff from individual S4L members. But they aren't as tied to Ron as the group that started as 'Students for Ron Paul' in 2008 and grew on Ron's message. I do think this is in part to become THE libertarian programming, with knowledge that Ron's new webcast project is coming up whenever in their sweet time they roll it out.

speciallyblend
02-27-2013, 01:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTeDAst3KA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTeDAst3KA0

NIU Students for Liberty
02-27-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm not opposed to S4L, they are good people. I didn't like their Koch funding and selection of candidates, entirely, (they showcased GJ not Ron in the CPAC 2011 I believe). But now Kochs are throwing money at YAL too, because YAL is successful, and maybe that is all it ever was with S4L as well. I've seen good stuff from individual S4L members. But they aren't as tied to Ron as the group that started as 'Students for Ron Paul' in 2008 and grew on Ron's message.

I also share a lot of your sentiments with S4L. When I was at NIU, our campus group was actually S4L (although last year the group merged into YAL) and I attended a couple of the S4L conferences at the University of Chicago. Because Koch was funding the events, you could tell that the S4L student board had its hands tied when it came to handpicking guest speakers since a lot of the speakers worked for Koch funded organizations and seemed more concerned with palling around with the Tea Party than advancing libertarian views (I got into an argument with the headlining speaker during a Q&A session over the "positive" influence Sarah Palin has in politics).

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 01:54 PM
I also share a lot of your sentiments with S4L. When I was at NIU, our campus group was actually S4L (although last year the group merged into YAL) and I attended a couple of the S4L conferences at the University of Chicago. Because Koch was funding the events, you could tell that the S4L student board had its hands tied when it came to handpicking guest speakers since a lot of the speakers worked for Koch funded organizations and seemed more concerned with palling around with the Tea Party than advancing libertarian views (I got into an argument with the headlining speaker during a Q&A session over the "positive" influence Sarah Palin has in politics).

I just really don't want that to happen to YAL.

FSP-Rebel
02-27-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm not opposed to S4L, they are good people. I didn't like their Koch funding and selection of candidates, entirely, (they showcased GJ not Ron in the CPAC 2011 I believe). But now Kochs are throwing money at YAL too, because YAL is successful, and maybe that is all it ever was with S4L as well. I've seen good stuff from individual S4L members. But they aren't as tied to Ron as the group that started as 'Students for Ron Paul' in 2008 and grew on Ron's message. I do think this is in part to become THE libertarian programming, with knowledge that Ron's new webcast project is coming up whenever in their sweet time they roll it out.
The one dude I know that is head of his campuses YAL group as well as the coordinator for Wayne Co C4L said that this SFL outfit tends to be just libertarian clubs that reject Ron's YALs mission of restoring liberty to the GOP tho they are willing to work with YAL. Basically, the old school libertarian club that doesn't want to mix much with other parts of the conservative base.

bolil
02-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Why does it seem like Glenn Beck and other tools have been operating sleeper cells around these here forums?

Irrelevant blowhard is irrelevant. Well, hes not irrelevant, but always negative. Beck inflames opposition, and he knows it. An inflamed opposition is an emotionally excited opposition and that is never good. He is a win-win for the status quo, hurts who ever he is associated with, while helping galvanize those who are opposed.

What? Is Glenn Beck one of many tools? Yup, his grip is so well worn that it should well warn anyone from picking him up.

What is it they say about turncoats? Likely to turn again. Turncoats are mercs, mercs answer to money and power. The estalishment has the money and they have the power; ergo the mercs will always answer to them

Bastiat's The Law
02-27-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm not scared. Jack Hunter ain't no lightweight.

compromise
02-27-2013, 02:27 PM
YAL are less extreme than S4L generally. I think it's good news that Beck's giving YAL a voice. I don't know many other radio hosts that have people like them on, even Alex Jones, whom many people on here greatly admire, tends not to promote the libertarian grassroots.

If Beck wants to become a libertarian, getting behind a group like YAL is a great first step.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
YAL are less extreme than S4L generally. I think it's good news that Beck's giving YAL a voice. I don't know many other radio hosts that have people like them on, even Alex Jones, whom many people on here greatly admire, tends not to promote the libertarian grassroots.

If Beck wants to become a libertarian, getting behind a group like YAL is a great first step.

I've noticed the same. S4L is really voluntaryist/an-cap moreso than YAL is. They're both good organizations though. This is Beck trying to endear himself to a movement that knows his true colors. I hope the YAL folks aren't suckered in by his 'niceties'. Oldest trick in the book.

jtstellar
02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
why is there even any concern whether this is good? rofl.. unless an asteroid falls during the show, this is already guaranteed good outcome for the entire philosophy in general.. some of you are moving in ways of emoness by the likeness of dailypaul

For years, he dismissed us, ridiculed us, chastised us, called us domestic terrorists and told millions that we hated America

he referred to 911 theoriests mostly, among which there were hologram-theorists, missile theorists, no-plane-existed theorists, some said it was some beam shot by nasa from space, whatever. i chose the most logical position, which was support for a new investigation before drawing conclusions. he thought ron paul supporters were mainly an intermix with the pure AJ base hence all crazy hologramers, nasa magic-rayers hence he said these people are dangerous. there's a few camps in ron paul movement since the start, kindly don't associate me to yours, or how i am supposed to feel angry when one or two of you got called out specifically by someone who wasn't aware which theory camp was which inside the movement

jtstellar
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
double post

Stallheim
02-27-2013, 03:22 PM
why is there even any concern whether this is good? rofl.. unless an asteroid falls during the show, this is already guaranteed good outcome for the entire philosophy in general.. some of you are moving in ways of emoness by the likeness of dailypaul

ugh-ss ugh-ss ugh-ss

seriously, the emo threshold for ugh-ss each and every one is different, you are cramping ugh-ss' style, man, can you stop bring ugh-ss emo
I am confused, what is ugh-ss a reference to?

jtstellar
02-27-2013, 03:25 PM
I am confused, what is ugh-ss a reference to?
i edited it.. figured i wasn't explaining myself

twomp
02-27-2013, 03:40 PM
I despise Glenn Beck but I think this is a good opportunity for YAL. Having seen their ability to promote and get people to some of the Ron Paul events this past election cycle, I believe they will become a force in the next couple years. I have faith that they will be there to spread Ron Paul's message and not fall into a "Glenn Beck's disciple" position. YAL represents our best bet to spread the message in the coming years and I have faith they will succeed and not fall into the "Glenn Beck" trap.

S.Shorland
02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm willing to be the Libertarian that Mr Beck needs to convince.I will hold out for a large sum.Because Mr Beck's ego will force him to offer a LARGE sum.

tangent4ronpaul
02-27-2013, 04:00 PM
most of the email/pswd combo's don't work - saying too many used that combo in a short period.

281 worked for me and I didn't try 280 but all others are bouncing.

It's starting now.

-t

AuH20
02-27-2013, 04:01 PM
This is encouraging. More exposure the better.

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 04:08 PM

he referred to 911 theoriests mostly, among which there were hologram-theorists, missile theorists, no-plane-existed theorists, some said it was some beam shot by nasa from space, whatever. i chose the most logical position, which was support for a new investigation before drawing conclusions. he thought ron paul supporters were mainly an intermix with the pure AJ base hence all crazy hologramers, nasa magic-rayers hence he said these people are dangerous. there's a few camps in ron paul movement since the start, kindly don't associate me to yours, or how i am supposed to feel angry when one or two of you got called out specifically by someone who wasn't aware which theory camp was which inside the movement

The bad part is if YAL is suckered in.

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 04:10 PM

Why would you want to turn friends into enemies by labeling them 'extreme'? It seems from a post on a prior page that the two organizations have merged, at least on some campuses.

2young2vote
02-27-2013, 04:11 PM

What month/year was this? I may have actually been at that same conference. Was it the one with the "green libertarian" lady who said we need government to build roads? There was also a debate between a nerdy looking Austrian economics student vs a Keynesian. Anyways, I don't think SFL is any worse or better than YAL. When i went to the conference at the UoC I couldn't find a single person who didn't like Ron Paul. Plus, the national SFL is very organized and much better at communication with student organizations than the official Libertarian party.

They both support a good cause - dedication to a truly limited government, and they both deserve our support.

tangent4ronpaul
02-27-2013, 04:33 PM
I thought S4L was the group with a libertarian domestic policy but a neocon foreign policy.

-t

VBRonPaulFan
02-27-2013, 04:48 PM

No, he didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rc4OJWH1nE

He grouped the entire movement together.

I'm glad he's helping to spread our ideas. I just don't trust the guy yet, not until he actually does something to help the movement besides tell everyone... he's part of the movement.

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 04:54 PM
I thought S4L was the group with a libertarian domestic policy but a neocon foreign policy.

-t

the Kochs are, imho, and some of the speakers at S4L events were, it is one way they branded Cain as 'libertarian leaning' joke that that was. That is why I have a problem with Koch funding. The students seem to be students much like YAL students are.

deadfish
02-27-2013, 04:54 PM
*sigh* Start this thing over and replace the kid on the couch with Julie Borowski.

compromise
02-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Why would you want to turn friends into enemies by labeling them 'extreme'? It seems from a post on a prior page that the two organizations have merged, at least on some campuses.

I'm talking more about the national SFL. I never said they were enemies, I'm considering going to their European conference next month. By extreme, I meant they are more skeptical of working with the Tea Party and the GOP than groups like YAL.

sailingaway
02-27-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm talking more about the national SFL. I never said they were enemies, I'm going to their European conference next month. By extreme, I meant they are more skeptical of working with the Tea Party and the GOP than groups like YAL.

I think using more words to say that rather than 'extreme' is more helpful.

dannno
02-27-2013, 05:38 PM
So how'd it go?

jtstellar
02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
No, he didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rc4OJWH1nE

He grouped the entire movement together.

I'm glad he's helping to spread our ideas. I just don't trust the guy yet, not until he actually does something to help the movement besides tell everyone... he's part of the movement.

pls i've listened to hours of hours politics and finance every day since 07, i know where glenn beck comes from. he hates conspiracy theorists the most and every time he lashed out at ron paul was after an outburst in around 911 stuff that made it to public, like debra medina when it became known alex jones supported her. it is not one clip and it didn't occur within the confine of one video clip, any attempt at such is so silly i just gloss over and ignore

not trying to make peace or anything because that's just not me, so keep misconceptions if it serves you, not afraid of having no friends, but i want to say i don't dislike AJ personally, i was like 70% wtf with all the nwo stuff AJ was spewing on piers morgan, but i still loved his tirade on guns. i just find his past supporters whose paranoia have turned them against AJ now saying he's 'co-intel-pro' some fancy word right there, are people just plain comical. not a bad guy, had one of the worst support base

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
pls i've listened to hours of hours politics and finance every day since 07, i know where glenn beck comes from. he hates conspiracy theorists the most and every time he lashed out at ron paul was after an outburst in around 911 stuff that made it to public, like debra medina when it became known alex jones supported her. it is not one clip and it didn't occur within the confine of one video clip, any attempt at such is so silly i just gloss over and ignore

Irony at its finest.

jtstellar
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Irony at its finest.

might as well explain myself better to avoid further misunderstanding to those who can't read

i didn't say i don't watch videos, i say i gloss over arguments i know relies on an extensive history especially those he-said-she-said-this-once-upon-a-time arguments and worst of all--dramas where one side always omits his own side doing things to stipulate a reaction, when there are silly attempts at this that "try to use a single video as evidence". it is -the attempt- i ignore, which i properly put in my sentence structure for anyone with 3 second attention span. learn to read. you sound like an irony to your internet avatar.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-27-2013, 07:38 PM
might as well explain myself better to avoid further misunderstanding to those who can't read

i didn't say i don't watch videos, i say i gloss over arguments i know relies on an extensive history especially those he-said-she-said-this-once-upon-a-time arguments and worst of all--dramas where one side always omits his own side doing things to stipulate a reaction, when there are silly attempts at this that "try to use a single video as evidence". it is -the attempt- i ignore, which i properly put in my sentence structure for anyone with 3 second attention span. learn to read. you sound like an irony to your internet avatar.

You obviously didn't understand my reply. Glenn Beck, someone who espouses as many conspiracies as Alex Jones, doesn't like conspiracy theorists, and thus, his rant against Debra and Ron and libertarians. I'm hard pressed to find a more conspiracy minded lunatic than Glenn Beck to be honest. His conspiracies do not even make sense in the first place which makes it even funnier.

JK/SEA
02-27-2013, 08:13 PM
So how'd it go?

it was decided to make Beck the leader of the Libertarian Party.

purplechoe
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
I am.

Just saying 'he is going in a more libertarian direction' shows they aren't up on his doing the EXACT SAME THING in 2008/9 then shafting the only true liberty candidates and coopting groups open to them, imho.

He was calling himself a libertarian before that when he was on Headline News. A lady at work asked me about him because I was pretty familiar with politics but not with Beck so I ended up watching his show and told her that he was not to be trusted even back then. He's about as libertarian as that idiot Bill Maher when he called himself one until he actually found out what it meant...

NIU Students for Liberty
02-27-2013, 10:16 PM
What month/year was this? I may have actually been at that same conference. Was it the one with the "green libertarian" lady who said we need government to build roads? There was also a debate between a nerdy looking Austrian economics student vs a Keynesian. Anyways, I don't think SFL is any worse or better than YAL. When i went to the conference at the UoC I couldn't find a single person who didn't like Ron Paul. Plus, the national SFL is very organized and much better at communication with student organizations than the official Libertarian party.

They both support a good cause - dedication to a truly limited government, and they both deserve our support.

That was the one. I want to say it was October 2011? Even their breakout groups (aside from the campus free speech discussion) were disappointing, emphasizing "Red Team good, Blue Team bad". Where I think SFL excels over YAL in a college environment is through the education process and their hands off approach. I know a lot of libertarians at my university (myself included) were divided over YAL because of their campaign/political action approach. In my opinion, students who want to get involved in politics through campaigning/canvassing for candidates should infiltrate the College Republicans and/or Democrats.

While I didn't mind the NIU YAL chapter campaigning for Ron Paul during the Illinois Primary because of what he stood for, I feel that they're now just settling for quasi-libertarian Republican congressional candidates just so they can remain active. However, they have been hitting the education front pretty hard since the election so I hope it continues to stay that way.

speciallyblend
02-27-2013, 10:29 PM
so where can we find transcripts for these beck shows without having to visit his site? i guess i will just remain in the dark on beck which is a good thing. I cannot click his sites!

sparebulb
02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
so where can we find transcripts for these beck shows without having to visit his site? i guess i will just remain in the dark on beck which is a good thing. I cannot click his sites!

I can't get his website on my computer either. I guess we don't have a "DOUCHE" button on our keyboards.

speciallyblend
02-27-2013, 11:42 PM
I can't get his website on my computer either. I guess we don't have a "DOUCHE" button on our keyboards.

hehe, no i don't have any problems clicking his site. i just don't want to:)
i am just hoping someone can cliff note it or post a transcript so i don't have to click his site;)

FrankRep
02-27-2013, 11:59 PM
[Video] Glenn Beck w/ Jack Hunter, S4L: How Do We Bring Libertarians Together?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?405926-Video-Glenn-Beck-w-Jack-Hunter-S4L-How-Do-We-Bring-Libertarians-Together