PDA

View Full Version : GEICO Sent me a Response about GLEN BECK

Chester Copperpot
11-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I thought I would share this with you all.. I emailed GEICO about Glen Beck's disparaging comments

We've recently received your email about one of our marketing decisions, specifically buying advertising time on CNN. Thank you, first of all, for contacting us with such a sincere interest regarding Mr. Beck's comments during his program. I want to assure you that GEICO does not support Glenn Beck's views and does not sponsor his show. GEICO buys advertising time on CNN, and as part of a broad rotation, our advertisements occasionally air during his program. We have received complaints similar to yours and have raised a concern with CNN regarding Mr. Beck's comments. We have found CNN to be a reasonable and responsible television network and expect they will take the appropriate action to monitor the content of Mr. Beck's program. Thank you for comments.

sparebulb
11-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Excellent. Thank you for posting the reply.

foofighter20x
11-23-2007, 10:05 AM
:D

JoshLowry
11-23-2007, 10:06 AM
:cool:

Ron LOL
11-23-2007, 10:06 AM

piotr1
11-23-2007, 10:07 AM
;)

jenninlouisiana
11-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Refresh my memory.. what did beck say? IN a nutshell? Thanks.

AlexMerced
11-23-2007, 10:09 AM
that's heartwarming to see, I guess Beck hasbeen behaving since the whole thing, for themost part...

AlexMerced
11-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Refresh my memory.. what did beck say? IN a nutshell? Thanks.

He began talking about domestic terrorism and used it as a cue to talk about the ROn Paul campaign, it was very suttle, but very offensive.

Jodi
11-23-2007, 10:13 AM
I thought I would share this with you all.. I emailed GEICO about Glen Beck's disparaging comments

We've recently received your email about one of our marketing decisions, specifically buying advertising time on CNN. Thank you, first of all, for contacting us with such a sincere interest regarding Mr. Beck's comments during his program. I want to assure you that GEICO does not support Glenn Beck's views and does not sponsor his show. GEICO buys advertising time on CNN, and as part of a broad rotation, our advertisements occasionally air during his program. We have received complaints similar to yours and have raised a concern with CNN regarding Mr. Beck's comments. We have found CNN to be a reasonable and responsible television network and expect they will take the appropriate action to monitor the content of Mr. Beck's program. Thank you for comments.

The real advertising should be the ones he plugs on his show. ABsteaks.com, proflowers.com, select comfort, gotomypc.com just to name a few.

KewlRonduderules
11-23-2007, 10:14 AM
:cool::D

sluggo
11-23-2007, 10:17 AM
That's great.

I also sent an email to CNN thanking them for putting Lou Dobbs on at 7, opposite Beck's Headline News show. I said,"Finally I can watch real news instead of Beck's childish, offensive antics." :p

kotetu
11-23-2007, 10:28 AM
He began talking about domestic terrorism and used it as a cue to talk about the ROn Paul campaign, it was very suttle, but very offensive.

It wasn't subtle at all.

It went something like "Our soldiers may need to protect us against a growing domestic threat...Ron Paul supporters call it a revolution, and they call their fund raising days a money BOMB" <raises eyebrows in fake concern> "AND they organized this money BOMB REVOLUTION on GUY FALKES day, who was himself a domestic TERRORIST."

Yeah, Glenn Beck's whole schpeal that night was basically "We need the military to round up Ron Paul supporters because they are domestic terrorists."

paulitics
11-23-2007, 10:34 AM
It wasn't subtle at all.

It went something like "Our soldiers may need to protect us against a growing domestic threat...Ron Paul supporters call it a revolution, and they call their fund raising days a money BOMB" <raises eyebrows in fake concern> "AND they organized this money BOMB REVOLUTION on GUY FALKES day, who was himself a domestic TERRORIST."

Yeah, Glenn Beck's whole schpeal that night was basically "We need the military to round up Ron Paul supporters because they are domestic terrorists."

What really sealed it for me was the Horrowitz guy that Beck put on. He could have had anyone, unbiased argue both sides, but no,he chose a racist who point blank said we were giving aid to "islamofascists". He gave a special mention to Lew Rockwell. So for anyone watching that, who has a fear of Islamofascism, the implication was that we are traitors who need to be dealt with, which means militarily. Basically this is Nazis propaganda, and it is scary that it has even come this far.

rasheedwallace
11-23-2007, 10:36 AM
this kind of stuff JUST might be getting results. good job guys.

Revolution9
11-23-2007, 10:38 AM

And linked Lew Rockwell to Islamo-fascism..whatever the eff that is.. Something the fevered imaginations of the zionazi mouthpieces dreamed up as an extension of their previous bogeyman.

Best
Randy

jenninlouisiana
11-23-2007, 02:03 PM
I wonder if there is a YouTube video about this that we can send to the sponsors so that they can see exactly what we're talking about?

me3
11-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Why doesn't someone call Glenn on his radio show, and demand that he give Lew Rockwell an opportunity to reply on CNN.

Knightskye
11-23-2007, 02:45 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eg8M2JBIoqo

There's the video. Here's what Beck and Horowitz said (took a little while for me to copy down):

Beck: "When you enlist in the military, you have to take an oath that says you're going to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies - foreign and domestic. On this program, we talk a lot about the foreign threats. Maybe tonight we should spend some time on the growing domestic one. It's easy to sit back and umm, and watch television and complain that our politicans aren't listening to us; that they're lying to us about the border, about out-of-control spending, or their apparent relentless quest to hand our country over to special interests. It feels, at least to me, like our leaders reflect an America that most of us don't even recognize.

"...The physical threat may be developing domestically as well. Here's how I got there. As I told you last week, Ron Paul raised over $4 million in one day - that's huge news! His supporters raised the cash on November the 5th to commemorate Guy Fawkes. This guy was a British, uh, terrorist who tried to overthrow the government by blowing up parliament and killing everybody in it. Paul supporters called the donation, and I'm quoting, a 'money bomb. Fawkes was caught the very last minute, some say with uh, with his hand on a torch about to light the gunpowder under parliament. Now the vast majority of Paul supporters take this little metaphor the way it's intended - as a rallying cry to create a dramatic political shift. It's really not the way I would go, you know, tying my movement in with a historical terrorist attack, uh, especially in post-9/11 America. But hey, you know, I'm a Libertarian at heart, I get it. You raise money however you want, as long as you're not blowing other people up.

"But America, here's what you need to know tonight. Ron Paul's supporters are tapping into something that's very real. It's something I've talked about on this program for a very long time: the rising tide of disenfranchisement in this country, and it's coming from all sides of the political spectrum. If that feeling of disenfranchisement leads to political discussion, then our system works perfectly. But if fringe elements take that disenfranchisement and turn it into violence, we endanger the freedoms we're supposedly all fighting for."

Horowitz: "We have a lot of people in this country who think that we're the enemy. ...There's a strain of isolationism and anarchy in the American tradition, which Ron Paul is tapping into. I think it's very significant that he chose Guy Fawkes as an image. There are plenty of, unfortunately, Libertarian websites which are indistinguishable from the anti-American lefties, that, uh, LewRockwell.com and others like that - totally in bed with the Islamo-fascists, umm, and are turning against this country."

Beck: "Alright... where am I wrong? The 'Ron Paul Revolution is meant as a catchy slogan, but I fear some of his fringe supporters are taking the word 'Revolution' too literally."

JMann
11-23-2007, 03:54 PM
The response should be that unless CNN airs a disclaimer like most radio stations the broadcast talk shows that state 'opinions expressed on this program do not represent CNN or the sponsors... then the viewer must make the assumption that they support the shows on the cable network.

The key here is to get NBC et al, CBS, ABC, CNN, PBS and FNEWS to broadcast disclaimers and show that nightly news and all the programs are opinions and not 'news' by a reporter's definition.

SeanEdwards
11-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I got the same message from Geico. :D

Eat it Beck!

Kap
11-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I told ya this would work. Now the next time an idiot tries to call us a terrorist, we'll deal with them in the same manner.

No one, except the insane, wants to see this country devolve into Nazi Germany.

Elijah
11-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Great job to all of you who wrote letters to the advertisers!!!

scotto2008
04-23-2008, 02:06 PM

I thought it'd be fun to browse through old threads. I think GEICO would make a great sponsor for the freedom march, as long as it wasn't associated with a political candidate.

gb13
04-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Pretty good reply for a national advertiser. Usually you get some lame canned response.

scotto2008
04-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Pretty good reply for a national advertiser. Usually you get some lame canned response.

I bet even a caveman could get a response from them.

gb13
04-23-2008, 02:53 PM
I bet even a caveman could get a response from them.

Kade
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Do any of you even know what GEICO stands for?

I'm surprised that hasn't been brought up yet...

olehounddog
04-23-2008, 03:00 PM

DealzOnWheelz
04-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Govt Employee Insurance CO.

LibertyIn08
04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
GEICO is owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway.

It is not a governmental organization.

V4Vendetta
04-23-2008, 05:40 PM
It has come to my attention, That Glenn Becks Eyes are starting to open..... give him a little bit more time. I am shocked by some of the material he's been airing recently.

LEK
04-23-2008, 08:17 PM
We have found CNN to be a reasonable and responsible television network...

Uh, really?

garrettwombat
04-23-2008, 08:24 PM
have you guys ever heard of freedom of speech?

pepperpete1
04-23-2008, 10:25 PM
have you guys ever heard of freedom of speech?

There's a strain of isolationism and anarchy in the American tradition, which Ron Paul is tapping into. I think it's very significant that he chose Guy Fawkes as an image. There are plenty of, unfortunately, Libertarian websites which are indistinguishable from the anti-American lefties, that, uh, LewRockwell.com and others like that - totally in bed with the Islamo-fascists, umm, and are turning against this country."
The above is more than just an opinion. Those less discerning audiences will take this as gospel. It should not be left unchallenged. Good for you guys that notified the advertisers!

mczerone
04-23-2008, 11:09 PM
The response should be that unless CNN airs a disclaimer like most radio stations the broadcast talk shows that state 'opinions expressed on this program do not represent CNN or the sponsors... then the viewer must make the assumption that they support the shows on the cable network.

The key here is to get NBC et al, CBS, ABC, CNN, PBS and FNEWS to broadcast disclaimers and show that nightly news and all the programs are opinions and not 'news' by a reporter's definition.

This is a good meme to keep in mind for all of our future Media problems. Part of every email we send should remind the companies that these shows are high in opinion, low in fact/news.

Ex Post Facto
04-24-2008, 12:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rc4OJWH1nE&feature=related

OMG...I never heard that before.