PDA

View Full Version : The most libertarian friendly auto insurance company?

Reason
02-25-2013, 09:12 PM
I am willing to pay more to support a company that attempts to the best of their ability to be as free market and privacy oriented as possible...

I realize this may not exist, however I am thinking of the equivalent of a local credit union being better than Bank of America for example.

I currently have GEICO which I realize is likely the opposite of what I am looking for since I guess they are owned by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkshire_Hathaway

BuddyRey
02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
The only place I would imagine you might find something resembling a libertarian auto insurance company is in New Hampshire, where people aren't legally mandated to have car insurance.

MelissaWV
02-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Pretty much what Buddy said. The auto insurance process is one of the most Big Brother around. Your traffic tickets, auto accidents, any convictions for anything, your credit score, marital status, general financial situation... all fair game.

coastie
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
The only place I would imagine you might find something resembling a libertarian auto insurance company is in New Hampshire, where people aren't legally mandated to have car insurance.

Alabama doesn't require it, either. I wouldn't recommend either state, tbh. I've lived in both, they both suck. NH is not as free as some pretend it is, I had numerous run ins with the cops while stationed there, some worse than I ever experienced in Florida...

FWIW, if you're a vet, USAA is the way to go. I pay $105/month for full coverage on 2 cars, road side assistance/towing/all the bells and whistles.

Reason
02-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Alabama doesn't require it, either. I wouldn't recommend either state, tbh. I've lived in both, they both suck. NH is not as free as some pretend it is, I had numerous run ins with the cops while stationed there, some worse than I ever experienced in Florida...

FWIW, if you're a vet, USAA is the way to go. I pay $105/month for full coverage on 2 cars, road side assistance/towing/all the bells and whistles.

I have received quotes from USAA, however GEICO has always been cheaper for the same coverage provided.

oyarde
02-25-2013, 11:58 PM
I am a Real Libertarian and Free Market guy. Tell you what I will do , you send me $30 a month , I will send you an Insurance of Oyarde card. If you have any accidents though, you are on your own :)

axiomata
02-26-2013, 12:05 AM
GEICO = Government Employee Insurance Co.

bolil
02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
I am a Real Libertarian and Free Market guy. Tell you what I will do , you send me $30 amonth , I will send you an Insurance of Oyarde card. If you have any accidents though, you are on your own :)

Alright, I am in, shall we draw up a contract?

If you fail to provide me with the coverage we agree on, I get assets from you to cover not only the coverage agreed upon, but also any payments I may have made you plus interest.

heavenlyboy34
02-26-2013, 12:28 AM
My credit union offers auto insurance. I haven't tried it yet (don't drive at the moment), but I am love my credit union. AFAIK, it's the most libertarian solution to banking currently widely available and legal.

Tod
02-26-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm a State Farm customer and the other day I got a letter about a new program they have.

The bait is: premium reduction

The catch is: get a black box installed in your vehicle that allows State Farm to monitor your driving habits.

:mad:

oyarde
02-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Alright, I am in, shall we draw up a contract?

If you fail to provide me with the coverage we agree on, I get assets from you to cover not only the coverage agreed upon, but also any payments I may have made you plus interest.

For $30 a month all you get is a card to show you are insured.You can flash it :)There is no policy Bol , you can stop by on Christmas though and beers are on me .My "company " has no assets. Interest ? What is that ? Before you do business with me you may want to check in with Danke , :) , he is an Injun expert. While you are at it though, I have potatoes , onions , blueberries for sale , you pay shipping though.

oyarde
02-26-2013, 01:00 AM
I'm a State Farm customer and the other day I got a letter about a new program they have.

The catch is: get a black box installed in your vehicle that allows State Farm to monitor your driving habits.

I can get you a black box with two a AA batteries in it , it does not do anything though , for only $3 amonth :)

oyarde
02-26-2013, 01:02 AM
At Chritmas, it will operate one small strand of lights, but you are on your own with battery replacement ....

oyarde
02-26-2013, 01:18 AM
My credit union offers auto insurance. I haven't tried it yet (don't drive at the moment), but I am love my credit union. AFAIK, it's the most libertarian solution to banking currently widely available and legal.

You can Bank with me, it is legal , I pay no interest,but you will have no fees , free Citizens Bank of Oyarde, you will love it HB , but, no money mover :)

coastie
02-26-2013, 06:36 AM
I have received quotes from USAA, however GEICO has always been cheaper for the same coverage provided.

:confused: You have a lot of time tickets or wrecks? I have never never never heard geico being cheaper than usaa. Never. In fact, I switched from geico to usaa almost 10 yrs ago, I was paying almost twice what I was paying with usaa, and shitty coverage/ customer service.

Sparkly clean driving record, not even a speeding ticket. My neighbor has geico and nearly shit himself when i told him what we paid per month w usaa, i dont remeber his numbers off hand but i was paying signifigantly less. That is really weird...

fisharmor
02-26-2013, 07:56 AM

Or a child of former active duty military. It doesn't matter whether you can save $15. It's not worth it.
If you have USAA and you wreck a car while on vacation in Botswana, you will need to make ONE call. And they will take care of it.

coastie
02-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Or a child of former active duty military. It doesn't matter whether you can save $15. It's not worth it.
If you have USAA and you wreck a car while on vacation in Botswana, you will need to make ONE call. And they will take care of it.

+10000

When I hydro locked my engine in a really bad rainstorm in 2007, I called them up. Tow truck driver was there in less than 30 minutes-in that same storm. I didn't even realize that service was included in my plan. Towed my car 50 miles to work in Pensacola(had to get to work, and it was shorter drive than back to Panama City). Adjuster was there 2 hours later. Asked me if I wanted it totaled. I said no. Asked me how much I thought it would cost to fix. I said 1500. 5 minutes later, I had a check in hand for 1500, and ordered a whole engine from Japan for 800. Car was back on the road 3 weeks later with an engine that had only 40k on it...

Geico, however, told me to go fuck myself when I got in a wreck(not my fault) in Kittery, ME, 2 years prior. Every time I got underway, we dropped the coverage on my car to bare bones liability to save a few bucks for 3 months. My wife neglected to switch it back to full coverage before I returned. I had no idea. So I get in the wreck, and those assholes did NOTHING for me-I was on my own, they said. After 10 years of exemplary driving, and always paying my bill on time. I wasn't expecting money, but at least a little advice from them. They refused to help with anything. That was when I cancelled my policy with them. So i guess it was actually 8 years ago I cancelled, not 10.

Working Poor
02-26-2013, 08:24 AM
I think supporting your local mom and pop agency is the most libertarian thing to do.

coastie
02-26-2013, 08:29 AM
I think supporting your local mom and pop agency is the most libertarian thing to do.

If you can afford it...my dad does this w/ State Farm, and is getting RIPPED off, he pays more than twice what I do for him and his wife, neither of them have ever had a ticket or a wreck. He knows the guy and thinks they're "friends", lol. I shouldn't laugh, but whatever, its like beating a dead horse when I try to get him to switch.

Working Poor
02-26-2013, 08:32 AM
There usually more than one mom and pop agency around I get very good rates.

jbauer
02-26-2013, 09:50 AM

Soon to be mandatory (because of price) in a state near you!!!

jbauer
02-26-2013, 09:55 AM
+10000

When I hydro locked my engine in a really bad rainstorm in 2007, I called them up. Tow truck driver was there in less than 30 minutes-in that same storm. I didn't even realize that service was included in my plan. Towed my car 50 miles to work in Pensacola(had to get to work, and it was shorter drive than back to Panama City). Adjuster was there 2 hours later. Asked me if I wanted it totaled. I said no. Asked me how much I thought it would cost to fix. I said 1500. 5 minutes later, I had a check in hand for 1500, and ordered a whole engine from Japan for 800. Car was back on the road 3 weeks later with an engine that had only 40k on it...

Geico, however, told me to go fuck myself when I got in a wreck(not my fault) in Kittery, ME, 2 years prior. Every time I got underway, we dropped the coverage on my car to bare bones liability to save a few bucks for 3 months. My wife neglected to switch it back to full coverage before I returned. I had no idea. So I get in the wreck, and those assholes did NOTHING for me-I was on my own, they said. After 10 years of exemplary driving, and always paying my bill on time. I wasn't expecting money, but at least a little advice from them. They refused to help with anything. That was when I cancelled my policy with them. So i guess it was actually 8 years ago I cancelled, not 10.

Um....you lowered your coverage but still expected them to "help" you? Whatever happened to personal responsibility? That is ALL on you man regardless of the insurance company and trust me, I hate all insurance companies. Did you ever stop to think that if they "gave" you advice and it turned out to be bad advice they could get sued?

Acala
02-26-2013, 10:03 AM
I have USAA auto and home. I like them very much. I rolled my SUV and they wrote me a generous settlement check in no time. Of course I didn't try to jack them for phony medical damages (my medical insurance paid for my broken hand).

Same thing with the house - had a cooler line break while I was on vacation and flood part of the house. Bam zoom, they had a contractor out there replacing everything that got even damp. I paid the deductible and that was it.

Neither claim resulted in raising my rates.

Keith and stuff
02-26-2013, 10:08 AM

AL does require auto insurance or something more expensive, all states do. Well, all states except NH. Just like all states except NH require adult drivers to wear seat belts in modern cars. Just like all states except NH require children drivers to get learners permits.

I also recommend USAA.

Keith and stuff
02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
For $30 a month all you get is a card to show you are insured.You can flash it :)There is no policy Bol , you can stop by on Christmas though and beers are on me .My "company " has no assets. Interest ? What is that ? Before you do business with me you may want to check in with Danke , :) , he is an Injun expert. While you are at it though, I have potatoes , onions , blueberries for sale , you pay shipping though.

$30 a month is a lot of money. I would expect full coverage for that kinda money. It is certainly more than I spend for coverage.

Thor
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
I am a Real Libertarian and Free Market guy. Tell you what I will do, you send me $30 a month, I will send you an Insurance of Oyarde card. If you have any accidents though, you are on your own :)

For $30 a month all you get is a card to show you are insured. You can flash it :) My "company " has no assets. Interest ?

Could this be the magic to get around the ObamaCare insurance requirement? "I have 'health insurance,' so I am in compliance with the law and therefore not subject to your stupid penalties." It is just my health insurance provides no coverage, no benefits, and really nothing other than a "policy" and card. You see, I don't want to go on big pharma pills and don't see the need to pay into a system that provides big pharma as the solution.

oyarde
02-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Could this be the magic to get around the ObamaCare insurance requirement? "I have 'health insurance,' so I am in compliance with the law and therefore not subject to your stupid penalties." It is just my health insurance provides no coverage, no benefits, and really nothing other than a "policy" and card. You see, I don't want to go on big pharma pills and don't see the need to pay into a system that provides big pharma as the solution.

I wish , but appears the Feds will have minimum requirments for your health policy , some people may have ins and still have to pay the fine .

coastie
02-26-2013, 11:33 AM
AL does require auto insurance or something more expensive, all states do. Well, all states except NH. Just like all states except NH require adult drivers to wear seat belts in modern cars. Just like all states except NH require children drivers to get learners permits.

I also recommend USAA.

Hmm, that must've changed in recent years, it hasn't been like that for very long(Alabama).

Keith and stuff
02-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Hmm, that must've changed in recent years, it hasn't been like that for very long(Alabama).

The AL requirement law is from 2000. http://jeffconline.jccal.org/revenue/main/MLIinfo.pdf

catfeathers
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
We just switched to USAA from GEICO and we're paying less than a third of what we did before.