PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Alert System gets started, ISPs ready to lay the smack down

aGameOfThrones
02-25-2013, 07:07 PM
The fight against online piracy just gained a new weapon in the form of the Copyright Alert System (CAS) aka the "six strikes" policy. Starting today, participating ISPs like Verizon, Time Warner Cable, AT&T and Comcast will begin issuing warnings to customers suspected of using illegal peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing services that violate copyright laws. Initial notifications will be used to educate and direct customers to legal alternative content sources. If the first set of notifications go avoided, the ISP may take further action, which includes: throttling internet connection speeds and redirecting users to websites requiring acknowledgment of CAS alerts.

If a person wishes to contest their ISP's findings, they will have 14 calendar days to request an independent review by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) for a fee of $35. If the investigation finds that no copyright violations have taken place, the alerts will be removed from the customer's account and they will receive a refund for the filing fee. However, should the organization's research rule otherwise, the internet service provider may proceed with taking action against its account holder. To get a closer look at the CAS and its inner workings, "redirect" your browser to the source links below.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/copyright-alert-system-now-live/

pacelli
02-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Received a warning a month ago from an ISP not listed.

dannno
02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Received a warning a month ago from an ISP not listed.

They've been sending warnings for about 10 years now, it just sounds like they wrote a little script thingy to do it automatically.

easycougar
02-25-2013, 07:54 PM
VPNs FTW

kcchiefs6465
02-25-2013, 08:03 PM
From someone who is more tech literate than me, will Peer Block defeat this bullshit?

I've have trident snooping around my ISP for quite some time now, haven't gotten a letter in years.

VPN?

satchelmcqueen
02-25-2013, 08:07 PM
i got on a few months ago. i despise this shit!

Cleaner44
02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
If ISP want to lose customers, this is a very good way to do it. I would not respond to their presumed guilty warning.

Czolgosz
02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
The internet won't remain a free place. Guns will effectively be removed. Etc, etc.

Kill the tyrants or remain enslaved.

BAllen
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
The internet won't remain a free place. Guns will effectively be removed. Etc, etc.

Kill the tyrants or remain enslaved.

Okay, when are you getting started? Let us know your progress with pics and youtube videos. I feel much better knowing we have a hero now. Yay!!!

Czolgosz
02-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Okay, when are you getting started? Let us know your progress with pics and youtube videos. I feel much better knowing we have a hero now. Yay!!!

Yawn.

pacelli
02-25-2013, 09:02 PM
They've been sending warnings for about 10 years now, it just sounds like they wrote a little script thingy to do it automatically.

Appreciate the heads up. I received a file-specific warning which got me concerned.

kcchiefs6465
02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Appreciate the heads up. I received a file-specific warning which got me concerned.
I've had my internet shut off about 10 different times. Had to call, explain that my pesky little brother or whoever was a dumbass and clicked on the wrong file. Hour or so on hold and that cleared it all up. Peer block, which you can get from filehippo.com works wonders. Have the program running before you download, stop the file when it is done, or when you are done seeding, and close the program. It won't let you on certain sites with the program running but piratebay and RPF work flawlessly. Haven't had another notice since. Though for the record, I use peerblock because of privacy concerns. You'd be amazed at how many entities are watching you.

That's another reason why I really like your site, Josh. Get on some of these sites, especially news, and you have universities in Beijing China watching your ISP.

CPUd
02-25-2013, 09:38 PM
offshore VPN

Stay off the public trackers, or at least use common sense. If something on a public tracker has 1000 seeds less than an hour after it's posted, keep walking.

Peer block or peer guardian2 if you must use public trackers and can't recognize which of the peers are their bots (it's an automated system, all the way down to the warning letter).

Stallheim
02-25-2013, 10:11 PM
I've had my internet shut off about 10 different times. Had to call, explain that my pesky little brother or whoever was a dumbass and clicked on the wrong file. Hour or so on hold and that cleared it all up. Peer block, which you can get from filehippo.com works wonders. Have the program running before you download, stop the file when it is done, or when you are done seeding, and close the program. It won't let you on certain sites with the program running but piratebay and RPF work flawlessly. Haven't had another notice since. Though for the record, I use peerblock because of privacy concerns. You'd be amazed at how many entities are watching you.

That's another reason why I really like your site, Josh. Get on some of these sites, especially news, and you have universities in Beijing China watching your ISP.Any tricks for telling who is watching?

MRK
02-25-2013, 10:36 PM
To give a little more background for people:

Downloading copyrighted material is not illegal per se. Distributing illegal content is.

When you download a torrent, you are uploading and downloading at the same time.

Everyone who is connected to the same torrent tracker you're using to connect with everyone else who has that file, can see your IP address (which is like a house address but for the internet), just like you can see their IP address.

Methods to block such revelation are available in the comments.

Also there are methods to download content from a centrally located source where only the owner of the website knows you're there. An example is mega.co.nz (based in new zealand). However the files are allegedly encrypted so that even the owner of the site allegedly does not know what files are contained on the server.

So to download the file you have to have the url and the encryption key, which only the uploader has. There are sites such as mega-search.me which contain databases of urls and encryption keys along with the filenames of the file, so that you can search the mega-search.me database for files that people have publicly made available. Another alternative is 4shared.com, for smaller files of all kinds. Also there are rapidshare search engines available for similar things, but in my experience these are more hassle than they're worth. Mega-search.me is very new with very limited content, but 4shared.com is a lot better in that regard.

None of this should be construed as legal advice and I'm not a lawyer.

Stallheim
02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
To give a little more background for people:

Downloading copyrighted material is not illegal per se. Distributing illegal content is.

When you download a torrent, you are uploading and downloading at the same time.

Everyone who is connected to the same torrent tracker you're using to connect with everyone else who has that file, can see your IP address (which is like a house address but for the internet), just like you can see their IP address.

Methods to block such revelation are available in the comments.

Also there are methods to download content from a centrally located source where only the owner of the website knows you're there. An example is mega.co.nz (based in new zealand). However the files are allegedly encrypted so that even the owner of the site allegedly does not know what files are contained on the server.

So to download the file you have to have the url and the encryption key, which only the uploader has. There are sites such as mega-search.me which contain databases of urls and encryption keys along with the filenames of the file, so that you can search the mega-search.me database for files that people have publicly made available. Another alternative is 4shared.com, for smaller files of all kinds. Also there are rapidshare search engines available for similar things, but in my experience these are more hassle than they're worth. Mega-search.me is very new with very limited content, but 4shared.com is a lot better in that regard.

None of this should be construed as legal advice and I'm not a lawyer.

What is the deal with streaming sites? Are all the same issues involved? www.1channel.ch for example?

dannno
02-26-2013, 06:32 PM
I've had my internet shut off about 10 different times. Had to call, explain that my pesky little brother or whoever was a dumbass and clicked on the wrong file. Hour or so on hold and that cleared it all up.

Ya I'm pretty sure the ISPs aren't really interested in losing customers they just want to look tough for the stupid recording association so they stop annoying them.

dannno
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
What is the deal with streaming sites? Are all the same issues involved? www.1channel.ch for example?

Those you just have to be careful not to download malware from the site, but since you aren't uploading content there isn't really much they can do except try and get the site shut down.

They get 1 or 2 shut down, 10 more pop up is my guess.

Stallheim
02-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Those you just have to be careful not to download malware from the site, but since you aren't uploading content there isn't really much they can do except try and get the site shut down.

They get 1 or 2 shut down, 10 more pop up is my guess.

When it comes to the malware, I have heard that the firefox addon NoScript is very effective as it blocks all scripting except what you allow, and the native site script is bolded for easy selection.

dannno
02-26-2013, 06:59 PM
When it comes to the malware, I have heard that the firefox addon NoScript is very effective as it blocks all scripting except what you allow, and the native site script is bolded for easy selection.

Yep, I agree, I have Ubuntu at home so I don't have to worry about that stuff usually but on my windows computer at work I use noscript and while I might not be browsing as much dangerous content at work I have not had any issues with malware.