PDA

View Full Version : Laptops causing wrecks for Alabama officers

shane77m
02-25-2013, 02:03 PM
I heard this report this weekend while doing some remodeling.

http://www2.alabamas13.com/news/2013/feb/22/13-investigates-laptops-causing-wrecks-alabama-off-ar-5656951/

ANNISTON, Ala. (WVTM) --- With cell phones, 800 megahertz radios and laptop computers law enforcement officers have more technology at their fingertips than ever before these days.

Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson started fighting crime back in 1975.

“In fact, most guys did not have a radio, a commercial radio in their car,” Sheriff Amerson recalled.

However, with the added technology, come added driving hazards.

The temptation to check a suspect's background while driving can be quite tempting for an officer.

Sergeant Steven Jarrett says they train their state troopers to keep their eyes on the road.

“The mobile data terminal or computers inside the vehicle, those should only be used while the vehicle is stopped,” Sergeant Jarrett pointed out.

How well are officers across Alabama following that guideline?

We decided to find out for ourselves.

So we requested a list of every officer-caused crash in Alabama over the last three years where an electronic-device distraction was a factor.

We found during that time there were 156 accidents caused by a distracted officer, compared to more than 36,447 for all distracted drivers.

Of those distracted-officer crashes, 33 cite an electronic device as a factor, compared to about 5,837 for the whole state.

However, from a percentage standpoint, electronic-device involved crashes are higher for officers.

About 21 percent of their distracted crashes were caused by electronic devices compared to 16 percent for all distracted drivers.

“Police officers are human beings. They make mistakes. They get distracted and with these electronic communication devices are very tempting to use in the workplace. So it does not surprise me at all,” reacted Sergeant Jarrett.

To take our investigation even further, we obtained the report for every single one of those 33 officer-caused crashes which involved an electronic device distraction.

In-vehicle laptops contributed to 36 percent of the crashes.

More at the link.

QuickZ06
02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
One was emailing in Illinois and killed two girls. Mundanes may not use cell phones on thy kings land, but its perfectly ok to be surfing the web if you work for thy king and his lordship.

tod evans
02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Be interesting to see the charges levied against the cops....[snark]

shane77m
02-25-2013, 05:06 PM
I am surprised that Sergeant Jarrett admitted that police can make mistakes.

youngbuck
02-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Colorado passes a law that makes texting while driving illegal, but cops can drive around screwing around on their laptops. Yea...

thoughtomator
02-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Be interesting to see the charges levied against the cops....[snark]

Here they are:

torchbearer
02-25-2013, 06:11 PM
http://api.ning.com/files/XttGe4IuCKJHZZoNrCaxuw1Jpa8BT8nE0VnCN8tynA9asz9bhh IGnG3K64uqM3ZpQNSgJbZYvJP61yXHQN8CwHZEJSlAN3gI/GrumpyCatGOOD..jpg

AFPVet
02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
They just installed software in the cars of the officers up here that froze the computers while the vehicle was in motion and it would only unfreeze when the vehicle was stopped.

Dr.3D
02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
They just installed software in the cars of the officers up here that froze the computers while the vehicle was in motion and it would only unfreeze when the vehicle was stopped.
Sounds like the fuel filler cap that shuts down the engine while being refueled. Of course I've been watching those guys (cops) and once the engine stops, they often get back in the car and start it up again, then they continue to fill up the fuel tank. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they didn't make it so the engine can't be restarted till the filler door has been shut again.

I suspect the cops will find a way around the frozen computers too.