PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother is in the drivers seat.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
So, this arrives in the mail today:

http://i.imgur.com/Q1quTQS.jpg

Here's the website:

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto_insurance/drive-safe-save/drive-safe-save.asp

Among other things, here's what they are looking at:

The device collects the following data:

Miles driven
Acceleration
Braking
Right and left turns
Speeds of 80 mph or over
Time of day the vehicle is driven

There will come a time, very soon, when this is mandatory.

God damn William Shockley...God damn his racist, eugenics supporting ass right straight to hell.

(Yes, I am aware of the irony of using technology to decry it, so you do not need to point that out.)

CPUd
02-25-2013, 01:52 PM
In a few years, when these are in the home, the health insurance companies will be collecting our piss as well:

http://i.imgur.com/dQkAonM.jpg

green73
02-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Somebody send this to Eric Peters

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?405527-The-Automotive-Police-State

KCIndy
02-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Truck drivers have had this sort of technology encroaching on us for years now. :(

Back when everyone was waxing eloquent over how wonderful it is to have an OnStar system, I warned them. I told them about some of the bullcrap we've had to deal with in the trucking industry when Big Brother is watching over our shoulder. I warned them that pretty soon, this "wonderful" little system was going to bite them in the ass - HARD.

Of course, I got laughed at.

And hey, what the hell. I've discovered that most people don't mind giving up every shred of privacy in exchange for a bit of convenience. They will happily, gladly let the government and large corporations take a peek up their ass if it means they can find the nearest Starbucks or Taco Bell real fast, and have a machine tell them how to get there.

My disgust goes beyond words, beyond actions, beyond any expressive means I have at my disposal. Watching the sheep line up for slaughter is truly sickening.

coastie
02-25-2013, 02:08 PM
They were just installing AIS on all of the small boats right when I was getting out. So be advised-the USCG will actually have to do full patrols now and harass as many people as possible, as opposed to just cruising around and finding a cove to anchor in and take naps(not that I would ever have participated in such things, of course:p).

Anti Federalist
02-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Truck drivers have had this sort of technology encroaching on us for years now. :(

Back when everyone was waxing eloquent over how wonderful it is to have an OnStar system, I warned them. I told them about some of the bullcrap we've had to deal with in the trucking industry when Big Brother is watching over our shoulder. I warned them that pretty soon, this "wonderful" little system was going to bite them in the ass - HARD.

Of course, I got laughed at.

And hey, what the hell. I've discovered that most people don't mind giving up every shred of privacy in exchange for a bit of convenience. They will happily, gladly let the government and large corporations take a peek up their ass if it means they can find the nearest Starbucks or Taco Bell real fast, and have a machine tell them how to get there.

My disgust goes beyond words, beyond actions, beyond any expressive means I have at my disposal. Watching the sheep line up for slaughter is truly sickening.

Pull your hair out, right.

I've been screeching about this as well, for years now.

Mariners and fishermen have been fucked by this just like you truckers.

Fail, the future is.

TonySutton
02-25-2013, 02:19 PM
As long as it is voluntary, it is great for the free market. I believe people who drive safely should be able to get reduced rates.

EBounding
02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
I like how the "Snapshot" is CONSTANTLY MONITORING your driving.

WM_in_MO
02-25-2013, 02:42 PM
I have to have one of those in for work purposes, I pull it out at the end of every work day day and put it in a steel thermos.

DamianTV
02-25-2013, 02:57 PM
The use of technology is supposed to free us, not enslave us to the demands of whoever is on the other end of the technology.

KCIndy
02-25-2013, 03:00 PM
As long as it is voluntary, it is great for the free market. I believe people who drive safely should be able to get reduced rates.

Voluntary?

I can agree with you up to a certain point. I'll respect someone's right to volunteer to do something, even if I think that "something" is stupid.

The trouble is, stuff that begins as a "voluntary measure" almost NEVER stays voluntary.

When seat belts first came out, usage was voluntary. Same thing with those stupid bicycle helmets - and motorcycle helmets, if you want to take a look 'way back when. Smoking? "Smoking" and "non-smoking" areas used to be voluntary, or left to the discretion of the owner of the establishment in question.

The list goes on and on.

God save me from those who want to save me from myself. :(

Anti Federalist
02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
The use of technology is supposed to free us, not enslave us to the demands of whoever is on the other end of the technology.

That's terrorist talk, Comrade.

Anti Federalist
02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
I have to have one of those in for work purposes, I pull it out at the end of every work day day and put it in a steel thermos.
Felony "Obstruction".

You are reported.

Natural Citizen
02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Heh. Wait till all of these folks see how it's going to go down with the voluntary "shut my ac off in the middle of the summer because you gave me 40 bucks" gag. Oh, yes. That's going to be a hoot. :rolleyes:

Whaaaatever though. Everybody knows everything...

Todd
02-25-2013, 03:10 PM

I think the concern for most of us is that in our climate today, none of these technological advances end up being "voluntary" in the long run. I would love nothing more than to be certain that I could acquire every technological gadget that makes my life more convenient and also live in a society where I'm certain no central agency would ever have access to my personal information or force me to eventually acquire it. But we do not live there.......yet.... (hopeful)

Anti Federalist
02-25-2013, 03:15 PM
I believe people who drive safely should be able to get reduced rates.

Yeah, so do I...it's called a driving record.

No wrecks or tickets = safe driver.

There is no actuarial need whatsoever for this, none.

The only purpose is acclimating people to the idea that they can, in fact should, be monitored 24/7 for compliance.

By dousing it in some "free market" glaze, it shuts up the few dissenters and refuseniks that might be out there.

"Free market? Oh, OK then. Sure, put me under all the surveillance you want."

Which then goes right to government.

Will State Farm share my information with anyone else?

State Farm will only share policyholder information as required by law and as stated in the State Farm Privacy Policy.

"As required by law".

That means any asshole cop that shows up at their data center with a rubber stamp warrant.

Or no warrant at all.

C'mon folks, snap out of it.

This is bad news when government does it.

It's bad news when "private" companies do it.

Thor
02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Progressive Insurance has been doing it for years with their "MyRate" device... 2008

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/080731-Progressive-Insurance-Wants-to-Monitor-Your-Driving-to-um-Offer-You-a-Discount/

Now State Farm, and I am sure others have already or will offer this wonderful proof of being a good boy meter.

It starts as an incentive.... "Save money when you prove to us you are already good."

Next it will be a requirement from insurance carriers to qualify for preferred rates.... then to get insurance at all....

Then the government will say "Hey, there is all this data just sitting there, how can we milk it? Oh, yes, automatic infraction enforcement. (not to mention location tracking.)"

Cowlesy
02-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Progressive Insurance has been doing it for years with their "MyRate" device... 2008

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/080731-Progressive-Insurance-Wants-to-Monitor-Your-Driving-to-um-Offer-You-a-Discount/

Now State Farm, and I am sure others have already or will offer this wonderful proof of being a good boy meter.

It starts as an incentive.... "Save money when you prove to us you are already good."

Next it will be a requirement from insurance carriers to qualify for preferred rates.... then to get insurance at all....

Then the government will say "Hey, there is all this data just sitting there, how can we milk it? Oh, yes, automatic infraction enforcement. (not to mention location tracking.)"

If I were an omnipotent moral busy-body bureaucrat, this is precisely how I'd do it. It's perfectly logical.

2young2vote
02-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Yeah, so do I...it's called a driving record.

No wrecks or tickets = safe driver.

There is no actuarial need whatsoever for this, none.

The only purpose is acclimating people to the idea that they can, in fact should, be monitored 24/7 for compliance.

By dousing it in some "free market" glaze, it shuts up the few dissenters and refuseniks that might be out there.

"Free market? Oh, OK then. Sure, put me under all the surveillance you want."

Which then goes right to government.

"As required by law".

That means any asshole cop that shows up at their data center with a rubber stamp warrant.

Or no warrant at all.

C'mon folks, snap out of it.

This is bad news when government does it.

It's bad news when "private" companies do it.

Yes, the required by law part is what makes this bad. A private business that has some of your personal information that you voluntarily gave to them would not be a problem because they could do nothing with the information other than provide you with the service you requested. However, when the government gets involved, it changes things up because the government can use that information to do things to you against your will.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
They were just installing AIS on all of the small boats right when I was getting out. So be advised-the USCG will actually have to do full patrols now and harass as many people as possible, as opposed to just cruising around and finding a cove to anchor in and take naps(not that I would ever have participated in such things, of course:p).

Quick naps. Ops and QTH every 30 min, or 15 min at night. Gotta wake up for at least that. Other than that, hell, I wish all the 'patrols' were you guys sitting out in middle of nowhere taking naps. Would have saved taxpayers + their liberties. :p

Anti Federalist
02-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Yes, the required by law part is what makes this bad. A private business that has some of your personal information that you voluntarily gave to them would not be a problem because they could do nothing with the information other than provide you with the service you requested. However, when the government gets involved, it changes things up because the government can use that information to do things to you against your will.

Even if there was no government tie in, it would still be bad, because if there is one thing the market is, it is "democratic".

It would not be long before every insurer required this.

Surveillance for compliance is surveillance for compliance regardless, and there is word for the place you live in when you are being watched all the time.

Prison.

donnay
02-25-2013, 11:51 PM

Social Security was set up to voluntary and look where that has gotten us now! There is no "free market" only an illusion of one.

GunnyFreedom
02-26-2013, 12:01 AM
I wonder how hard it would be to make a removable faraday cage for this critter...

AGRP
02-26-2013, 12:11 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o3Fkx0ogXYU/Tgh_9g0EucI/AAAAAAAAAQA/n923_6lxk8Y/s400/mussolini%2Bfascism.jpg

VoluntaryAmerican
02-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Even if there was no government tie in, it would still be bad, because if there is one thing the market is, it is "democratic".

It would not be long before every insurer required this.

Surveillance for compliance is surveillance for compliance regardless, and there is word for the place you live in when you are being watched all the time.

Prison.

We debated this very thing in political philosophy sub.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?404842-Authoritarian-Anarcho-Capitalism-is-it-possible

bolil
02-26-2013, 12:29 AM
In a few years, when these are in the home, the health insurance companies will be collecting our piss as well:

http://i.imgur.com/dQkAonM.jpg

Just find a clean out and piss in there. If they made that toilet mandatory it wouldn't be hard to bypass.