PDA

View Full Version : Meet Elvis: The virtual border official who knows if you're lying

Lucille
02-24-2013, 10:19 PM
::shudder:: I'd probably fail it just because I'd be creeped out.

Meet Elvis: The virtual border official who knows if you're lying
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/15/travel/computer-border-official-avatar

(CNN) -- A lie-detecting virtual border official nicknamed "Elvis" is the latest high-tech approach to securing borders in the United States.

Developed by University of Arizona researchers in collaboration with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the computer is known as the Automated Virtual Agent for Truth Assessments in Real-Time -- or AVATAR -- kiosk.
[...]
The kiosk is being trialled at Dennis DeConcini Port in Nogales, Arizona -- a checkpoint on the U.S.-Mexico border -- as a way of processing passengers looking to sign up to CBP's "Trusted Traveler" program. The program allows travelers pre-approved as "low-risk" to be fast-tracked through security processes.

Applicants for the program must undergo an interview and biometric fingerprinting to be eligible for the program -- both of which can be performed by the AVATAR kiosk.
[...]
The computer uses three sensors to assess physiological responses: a microphone, which monitors vocal quality, pitch and frequency; an infrared camera, which looks at pupil dilation and where the eyes focus; and a high-definition camera recording facial expressions.

Some of the involuntary cues that betray whether a speaker is lying could be controlled, but not all of them at once.

Lab testing had indicated the machine was much more successful than humans at detecting these cues, according to Derrick.

"People have a hard time detecting small changes in the frequency of the human voice, that a computer is much better at," he said.

"People are accurate about 54% of the time at detecting deception ... We have got our machine as high as 90% in the lab."
[...]
"We call him Elvis, or Pat," said Derrick. "But when he's in the field he's just the AVATAR agent."

And they call it Elvis to twist the knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfkLnZhhoTY

Mm mm mm.

h/t http://armstrongeconomics.com/2013/02/24/the-coming-iron-curtain-resistance-if-futile/

Anti Federalist
02-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Fail, the future is.

KCIndy
02-25-2013, 12:17 AM
::shudder:: I'd probably fail it just because I'd be creeped out.

I would fail because I hate talking to machines. I truly HATE it. Nothing hacks me off faster than calling a customer service line and then trying to make some stupidass POS computer try to understand what I'm saying.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Developed by University of Arizona researchers in collaboration with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the computer is known as the Automated Virtual Agent for Truth Assessments in Real-Time -- or AVATAR -- kiosk.

This is why all that research money granted by the government needs to go... scientists giving the government more power over us.

bolil
02-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Ummm, so everyone lies. Amazing, truism technology. When face palm does not suffice, face punch.

QuickZ06
02-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Holycrap, if George Orwell were to be alive he would be sceamin....told ya so!!! The future is now.

thoughtomator
02-25-2013, 04:36 AM
Holycrap, if George Orwell were to be alive he would be sceamin....told ya so!!! The future is now.

Orwell was telling us the future was already there in 1948.