PDA

View Full Version : An idea: Why doesn't Ron Paul visit Iraq?

born2drv
11-23-2007, 08:21 AM
We know his #1 issue is foreign policy that he wants to change... we also know they donate to him more then anyone else. He can say he's going there to support the troops which he would be, to make sure they understand history and that an agressive foreign interventionist policy is failing us, and to make sure they're well cared for as veterans when they get back.

Having a bunch of soldiers in Iraq cheering him on would be a huge media event. What do you guys think?

1town
11-23-2007, 08:23 AM
But he might get killed.

Besides, his campaign is based on staying home. ;)

Man from La Mancha
11-23-2007, 08:23 AM
We know his #1 issue is foreign policy that he wants to change... we also know they donate to him more then anyone else. He can say he's going there to support the troops which he would be, to make sure they understand history and that an agressive foreign interventionist policy is failing us, and to make sure they're well cared for as veterans when they get back.

Having a bunch of soldiers in Iraq cheering him on would be a huge media event. What do you guys think?
To busy campaigning, voting in congress and being a good family man.

hasan
11-23-2007, 08:25 AM

thats a great idea in my opinion. someone should relay this idea to the campaign. i don't think security will be that big of an issue. i mean if george bush can go into iraq without harm im sure ron paul will be able to.

ladyliberty
11-23-2007, 08:29 AM
They are already comparing him to Osama Been Forgotten - if he goes over there and gets overwhelming support from EVERYONE (troops and civilians) might that be seen as a negative by the MSM????

Couldn't they twist that into some sort of "Hanoi Jane" propaganda piece?

Mark Rushmore
11-23-2007, 08:31 AM
i mean if george bush can go into iraq without harm im sure ron paul will be able to.

Powerful interests wish to keep Bush alive. In Ron Paul's case, one 'fluke' mortar round is easier to pass over than an open assassination if he wins. Hell they'd probably blame it on Iran and use it as their trigger.

I think it's a good idea but too risky.

evadmurd
11-23-2007, 08:36 AM
I suggested this a while ago as well. While I still think it is a good idea, I also admit it would probably be quite high risk for him. No doubt he has received the highest in military donations, but I wonder how much of that can be attributed to the "boots on the ground" vs veterans. Patriots assume a lot of risk just by being who they are, and I guess a case could be made not to assume more than necessary.

Also, it could possibly be perceived by the military that he would be a distraction to the mission, as he obviously wouldn't go there to "pump them up" to do their job. His views are well known. He'd be seen as someone coming into the factory as a union organizer.

evadmurd
11-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Couldn't they twist that into some sort of "Hanoi Jane" propaganda piece?

And you know they would.

quickmike
11-23-2007, 08:41 AM
They would kill him. Too easy to explain it away as some kind of accident caused by "insurgents" and would just further propogate the war machine, saying things like "see what kind of animals they are over there?"

Very bad idea.

AlexMerced
11-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure if sendinga 72 year gynecologist to Basra is a good idea...

CJLauderdale4
11-23-2007, 09:20 AM
He's probably on the no-fly list for nations where the U.S. is based.
(He might start a revolution with the military men and women, and that could be bad for the establishment ;-)

AlexMerced
11-23-2007, 09:21 AM
He's probably on the no-fly list for nations where the U.S. is based.
(He might start a revolution with the military men and women, and that could be bad for the establishment ;-)

that would be pretty funny, I can't wait till the CNN/Youtube debate :)

Channing
11-23-2007, 09:25 AM
This is a really, really, really bad idea.

Don't you realize that the established powers in the US want nothing more than to get rid of Ron Paul? Why do think there is so much resistance against his candidacy? Why do think there was a media blackout? Why do you the media pundits consistently lie and mispresent Ron Paul? Why do you think the registration dates for various states suddenly moved forward? Why do you think he is being excluded from debates? Why do you think the polls are being manipulated?

A visit to Iraq would be the ideal opportunity for some "accident" to happen to him which could be blamed on Al Qaida or insurgents.

kylejack
11-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Ron Paul has never taken a government paid junket!

jenninlouisiana
11-23-2007, 09:52 AM
He could make the rounds in the US visiting Air Force bases, etc.

rasheedwallace
11-23-2007, 10:30 AM
But he might get killed.

Besides, his campaign is based on staying home. ;)

call me crazy, but i think this wuld be a great opportunity for dr. paul to "accidentally" fall into some misfortune...you know a lot of people would like to see it happen.

it would be AMAZING press if everything went smoothly, but...

keep ron home!

we simply don't have time for this now anyway.

fedup100
11-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Channing is correct, it would be the perfect way to get rid of him.....NO!!!!!