PDA

View Full Version : Terrifying Video Demonstrates Bug-Sized Lethal Drones Being Developed By U.S. Air Force

sailingaway
02-23-2013, 06:56 PM
The Air Force has nonetheless already constructed a “micro-aviary” at Wright-Patterson for flight-testing small drones. It’s a cavernous chamber—35 feet high and covering almost 4,000 square feet—with padded walls. Micro-aviary researchers, much of whose work is classified, decline to let me witness a flight test. But they do show me an animated video starring micro-UAVs that resemble winged, multi-legged bugs. The drones swarm through alleys, crawl across windowsills, and perch on power lines. One of them sneaks up on a scowling man holding a gun and shoots him in the head.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/terrifying-video-demonstrates-bug-sized-lethal-drones-being-developed-by-u-s-air-force/

What, one might ask, will prevent terrorists and criminals from getting their hands on some kind of lethal drone? Although American officials rarely discuss the threat in public, they take it seriously.
[...] Exercises carried out by security agencies suggest that defending against small drones would be difficult. Under a program called Black Dart, a mini-drone two feet long tested defenses at a military range. A video from its onboard camera shows a puff of smoke in the distance, from which emerges a tiny dot that rapidly grows larger before whizzing harmlessly past: That was a surface-to-air missile missing its mark. In a second video an F-16 fighter plane races past the drone without spotting it.
The answer to the threat of drone attacks, some engineers say, is more drones.

Natural Citizen
02-23-2013, 07:13 PM
There is a report on this as well as full vid in the media spin thread too. Also a very, very good discussion on the phenomenon in the same thread.

Yer killin me with these scwewy links, SA. :rolleyes:

sailingaway
02-23-2013, 07:17 PM
There is a report on this as well as full vid in the media spin thread too.

Yer killin me with these scwewy links, SA. :rolleyes:

Is something wrong with the link? Usually mediate is ok...

Natural Citizen
02-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Is something wrong with the link? Usually mediate is ok...

Nah. It's fine, I suppose. I often forget that there is such a diverse way that people share information these days. I'm just not used to all of that stuff popping up is all. When I see the difference in some of these stories in presentation it just reminds me of the generational or social gap I guess. Then with the added social media plugins. I'm just not used to it. Probably won't ever try to be either but it's just my own meme perhaps.