PDA

View Full Version : Quixotic, Quixotic, Quixotic...

Pharoah
11-23-2007, 06:46 AM
quix·ot·ic

1. (sometimes initial capital letter) resembling or befitting Don Quixote.
2. extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; visionary, impractical, or impracticable.
3. impulsive and often rashly unpredictable.

In a quixotic moment, I Googled the first few pages of hits for the latest slur / talking point used against Ron Paul, then copied the highlighted lines of each news article. The results were interesting:

Ron Paul as a quixotic champion...

Ron Paul 2008: Unlikely allies unite for Paul's quixotic bid...

Ron Paul’s quixotic campaign confuses career pols...

The Western Confucian: Quixotic Dr. Paul...

...Add 'Internet geeks, quixotic idealists, tinfoil wearing crazies...

Ron Paul's quixotic campaign may be lurking in the shadows of American mainstream...

Paul's quixotic campaign seems to be picking up steam...

Yet, when his detractors call Ron Paul’s campaign “quixotic,” they are in fact dubbing him a knight by way of backhanded compliment.

While many view Paul's campaign as quixotic...

Quixotic candidate Ron Paul, on the other hand...

Still, I’ll continue following Ron Paul’s quixotic quest...

Seems as though Paul's quixotic campaign would be a perfect fit...

Forget about the establishment describing his campaign as “quixotic,”...

It appears that Ron Paul’s quixotic campaign has finally come to an end...

New York Times Magazine recently ran an extensive profile of Paul and his quixotic campaign...

It used to be easy to portray Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul as a quixotic champion of a hopeless cause...

But Ron Paul, the quixotic libertarian U.S. rep from Texas, has a
bigger cult following online than any other presidential candidate*,
especially with his quixotic, uncompromising style...

It is time for Ron Paul to find a new venue to do his quixotic thing.

It's a fine line between quixotic and committed, and just where Ron Paul falls is an open question as the Texas congressman pursues the 2008...

"...one had to go all 5the way down to Rep. Ron Paul's quixotic campaign before someone reflected Reagan's ...

Without a plan to win, a Presidential campaign seems either quixotic or narcissistic. Nonetheless, Ron Paul...

Paul’s quixotic run for the White House has never been taken seriously by...

...these are now all but lost save for that quixotic figure, Dr. Ron Paul.

I could have gone on and on... just like the MSM. I would like to know who sends out these talking points to label RP, and why does the media dutifully parrot the propaganda? Personally, I suspect they emerge from the White House spin doctors - since I believe the MSM takes its cue from authority as to how they want a candidate portrayed.

Visual
11-23-2007, 07:09 AM
I think they are using the definition that describes him as being romantic....

:P

Mark Rushmore
11-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Yet, when his detractors call Ron Paul’s campaign “quixotic,” they are in fact dubbing him a knight by way of backhanded compliment.

That one isn't too bad ;).

Man from La Mancha
11-23-2007, 07:19 AM
I love it. Lets get those Dragons of injustice.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1811/blimp3vz0.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9435/blackwsmallyh7.gif (teaparty07.com)..http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8947/brighton7gs5.gif (teaparty07.com)..copy,paste,linked to teaparty07.com

constituent
11-23-2007, 07:21 AM
yea, nothing wrong w/ quixotic (someone should smite you for perpetuating the 'insult').

don quixote de la mancha was the greatest, bravest, most loyal
and valiant knight in the history of knight errantry.

it is an honor to read RP's name associated with so great a man.

no, not a man; a knight and a legend.

Ron LOL
11-23-2007, 07:26 AM
I say it's an asset.

FreeTraveler
11-23-2007, 07:33 AM
I would like to know who sends out these talking points to label RP, and why does the media dutifully parrot the propaganda? Personally, I suspect they emerge from the White House spin doctors - since I believe the MSM takes its cue from authority as to how they want a candidate portrayed.

Somebody posted this video last night, and I watched it. I think it answers your question very well.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=6632255652046262625&hl=en

Thurston Howell III
11-23-2007, 08:10 AM
yea, nothing wrong w/ quixotic (someone should smite you for perpetuating the 'insult').

don quixote de la mancha was the greatest, bravest, most loyal
and valiant knight in the history of knight errantry.

it is an honor to read RP's name associated with so great a man.

no, not a man; a knight and a legend.

Absolutely, I agree 100% and isn't Man of LaMancha where the song "To Dream the Impossible Dream" came from? A fitting song for Dr Paul wouldn't you say.

Man from La Mancha
11-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Absolutely, I agree 100% and isn't Man of LaMancha where the song "To Dream the Impossible Dream" came from? A fitting song for Dr Paul wouldn't you say.Hey Thurston how about dropping a couple mil for Ron, you can ride on the blimp. Gilligan would approve.:)

Thurston Howell III
11-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Hey Thurston how about dropping a couple mil for Ron, you can ride on the blimp. Gilligan would approve.:)

hehehe yes yes indeed, let's go lil buddy. :)

Pharoah
12-03-2007, 04:11 AM
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/12/03/ron_paul/index_np.htm

A new article that's pretty good overall... yet still manages to keep the spirit of 'cut & paste' journalism alive...

lRon Paul is a baby elephant

About 10 minutes earlier, Texas Rep. Paul, a lithe 72-year-old obstetrician running a quixotic Republican campaign for president,