PDA

View Full Version : Aspartame in Milk Without a Label? Big Dairy Petitions FDA For Approval

donnay
02-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Aspartame in Milk Without a Label? Big Dairy Petitions FDA For Approval

Activist Post (http://www.activistpost.com/2013/02/aspartame-in-milk-without-label-big.html#more)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IsRYi0WMWEI/USiBVlGddQI/AAAAAAAAUew/8HOTFk_IiG0/s200/aspartame+in+milk.jpg

Two powerful dairy organizations, The International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF), are petitioning the Food and Drug Administration to allow aspartame and other artificial sweeteners to be added milk and other dairy products without a label.

The FDA currently allows the dairy industry to use “nutritive sweeteners” including sugar and high fructose corn syrup in many of their products. Nutritive sweeteners are defined as sweeteners with calories.

This petition officially seeks to amend the standard of identification for milk, cream, and 17 other dairy products like yogurt, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and others to provide for the use of any “safe and suitable sweetener” on the market

They claim that aspartame and other artificial sweeteners would promote healthy eating and is good for school children.

According to the FDA notice (https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/02/20/2013-03835/flavored-milk-petition-to-amend-the-standard-of-identity-for-milk-and-17-additional-dairy-products) issued this week:

IDFA and NMPF state that the proposed amendments would promote more healthful eating practices and reduce childhood obesity by providing for lower-calorie flavored milk products. They state that lower-calorie flavored milk would particularly benefit school children who, according to IDFA and NMPF, are more inclined to drink flavored milk than unflavored milk at school.

Although the FDA considers aspartame to be a "safe and suitable" sweetener, a recent Yale University study (http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/02/15/artificial-sweetners-diet-nutrition.html) appears to directly challenge the claim that aspartame would reduce obesity. In fact, the study concluded just the opposite, that artificial sweeteners actually contributed to obesity and Type 2 diabetes.

The IDFA and NMPF argue "that the proposed amendments to the milk standard of identity would promote honesty and fair dealing in the marketplace" yet they don't want changes to the labels on dairy products.

Accordingly, the petitioners state that milk flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners should be labeled as milk without further claims so that consumers can “more easily identify its overall nutritional value.”

It's unclear how consumers can more easily identify the overall nutritional value of milk products that are flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners without labels.

Quoting Section 130.10 (http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=6fb01c49b26846ff14a33c7a91c15984&ty=HTML&h=L&r=PART&n=21y2.0.1.1.20) of the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990, the dairy giants claim a new label is not required because sugar is added to milk without labeling it, and "the modified food is not inferior in performance" and "'reduced calorie' (labels) are not attractive to children" so marketing as such is of no benefit or detriment.

The FDA has opened public comments until May 21 for anyone interested to "submit comments, data, and information concerning the need for, and the appropriateness of, amending the standard of identity for milk and the additional dairy standards."

To submit a formal comment or send data to the FDA concerning adding aspartame and other artificial sweeteners to milk products CLICK HERE (http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FDA-2009-P-0147-0012).

presence
02-23-2013, 11:24 AM
In before the anti GMO labeling crowd claim buyer beware.

AFPVet
02-23-2013, 01:48 PM
They just love to poison us....

opal
02-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Ok.. went there.. attempted to post this

TRUTH IN ADVERTIZING! If they're going to put something other than MILK in the milk - make them specifically state what it is. Anything less is tantamount to deceptive advertizing. If you're not going to require the truth on a label, it might as well just say:
Ingredients: Milk and other stuff

clicking submit.. nothing happens

donnay
02-23-2013, 10:31 PM
They just love to poison us....

Absolutely! All done by design. :mad:

sailingaway
02-23-2013, 10:34 PM
yeah, I just saw that on twitter. Raw milk has never been a passion of mine, but I could change my mind...

donnay
02-23-2013, 11:20 PM
yeah, I just saw that on twitter. Raw milk has never been a passion of mine, but I could change my mind...

I am eating raw cheddar cheese with organic crackers and a glass of Organic Red. Yum.

presence
03-22-2013, 07:55 AM
http://democratherald.com/news/opinion/mailbag-aspartame-and-milk/article_3aff018c-8eb6-11e2-9793-0019bb2963f4.html
March 17, 2013 10:15 am
(6) Comments (http://democratherald.com/news/opinion/mailbag-aspartame-and-milk/article_3aff018c-8eb6-11e2-9793-0019bb2963f4.html#comments)

On Feb. 25, an article was posted at NaturalNews.com (http://NaturalNews.com) regarding the dairy industry’s petitioning of the FDA to approve aspartame as a hidden, unlabeled additive in milk, yogurt, eggnog and cream products. The International Dairy Foods Association and the National Milk Producers Federation have filed such a petition asking the FDA to alter the definition of “milk” to secretly include chemical sweeteners such as aspartame and sucralose. More importantly, none of these additives need to be listed on the label as they will be buried within the altered definition of “milk” if said petition is upheld.
Aspartame is comprised of aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methyl ester (wood alcohol). As aspartame enters the small intestine, methanol is released and absorbed into the body. Methanol is then metabolized into formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and to formic acid (normally found in the sting of red ants). Due to its low excretion rate, the EPA considers methanol a cumulative poison.
It is recommended that the consumption of methanol be limited to 7.8 milligrams per day. One serving (8 ounces) of a diet beverage contains as much as 14 milligrams. Symptoms of methanol toxicity include vision problems, headaches, dizziness, nausea, gastrointestinal disorders, weakness, behavioral changes and memory loss.
Aspartame was discovered in the mid-1960s by GD Searle, a Chicago drug company. It is also known as, by or under the names Nutrasweet, Equal, Acesulfame Potassium and Aminosweet and is an artificial sweetener/chemical additive.
Originally approved in 1974, concerns over deficiencies and inconsistencies in GD Searle tests halted the marketing of aspartame in dry foods until 1981, despite it being the most contested chemical additive in FDA history due to causation of brain cancer in lab animals. In 1980 the Public Board of Inquiry voted unanimously to reject the use of aspartame until additional studies could be conducted on its ability to cause potential brain tumors.

KingNothing
03-22-2013, 08:05 AM
What's the point of mandating labeling, and then not mandating labeling?

The law is silly, but if you're going to have it, it should be followed by everyone.

ClydeCoulter
03-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Hey, they change the definition of terrorist from time to time, and imminent, etc... now "milk"? Got milk? "Well, depends"

shane77m
03-22-2013, 08:17 AM
I guess if I start getting headaches and feeling like my body is going to "lock up" again, then I know they are slipping in aspartame. I started drinking diet drinks about a year or so ago. Was okay for a couple of months then started to feel really weird after drinking one. Stopped drinking them and the issues went away.

Romulus
03-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Everyone should stop drinking milk today, it's completely unhealthy for you as it sits now.

Go get farm fresh, or at least Almond milk.

enjerth
03-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Thank you for submitting a comment on the following Proposed Rule:
Flavored Milk; Petition to Amend the Standard of Identity for Milk and 17 Additional Dairy Products

Agency: FDA
Document ID: FDA-2009-P-0147-0012
Your Comment Tracking Number: 1jx-84cj-3qbi
Note this tracking number to find your comment at a later date.

Submit your comments here. (http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FDA-2009-P-0147-0012)

Sola_Fide
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
I stopped drinking milk. Aspartame does something to my body and I know when it is products I eat or drink. It's already in milk. It's been in there for years.

puppetmaster
03-22-2013, 02:13 PM
I stopped drinking milk. Aspartame does something to my body and I know when it is products I eat or drink. It's already in milk. It's been in there for years.

really?

Romulus
03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
It wouldn't surprise me... they always get legal authority after the fact...

Sola.. do you have a source though?

Christian Liberty
03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm fine with having to label. Put whatever the heck you want in it, but at least tell me exactly what's in it. Telling me you are selling me "Milk" and then adding anything that isn't listed is a form of fraud.

Seraphim
03-22-2013, 02:58 PM
This.

At the very least, modern milk is laced with so much nonsense it's HORRRIBLE for your health.

Other than the breast milk of a babies healthy human mother for the first X # of months of life - no human has any business drinking milk. Let alone the antibiotic, hormone pumped garbage sold in grocery stores today.

Modern milk = one of the most aggravating compounds to your digestive system. Not just for those medically diagnosed as lactose intolerant.

Romulus
03-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Raw milk is amazing for you though, and people should support that.

dannno
03-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Hmm I think they're trying to get permission to put it in chocolate and strawberry milk and then reduce the amount of high fructose corn syrup. One poison for another in this case..

But ya I wouldn't be surprised if they found there are trace amounts of aspartame in regular milk.