PDA

View Full Version : N.C. Lawmakers Kill Medical Marijuana Bill Because It Had Too Much Support

sailingaway
02-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Apparently when lawmakers in North Carolina are flooded with phone calls from their constituents in support of a piece of legislation they consider it "harassment" and kill the bill to make it stop.

This is what representative democracy has become in North Carolina, where lawmakers just killed a bill to legalize medical marijuana to "stem the tide of phone calls and emails".

According to WRAL Channel 5 in North Carolina:

The House Rules Committee has killed a bill that would have legalized medical marijuana, an effort by House leaders to stem a tide of phone calls and emails on the topic.

It is somewhat unusual to give a measure an unfavorable report. Typically, bills that won't pass merely sit in committee unheard and untended.

"We did it to be done with it, so people could move on for the session," said Rep. Paul "Skip" Stam, R-Wake. He said lawmakers we're being "harassed" with phone calls and emails about medical marijuana.

In other words, stop bugging us to do your bidding. Who do you think we work for? They act as if we work for them, at least before they fired us for "harassment".

The committee only allowed 20 minutes of public testimony before voting to kill the bill, H.B. 84 The Enact Medical Cannabis Act, which would have allowed patients over 21 who suffer from a variety of ailments to receive prescriptions for medical cannabis.

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/02/nc-lawmakers-kill-medical-marijuana.html

paulbot24
02-22-2013, 11:19 PM
When the people vote them out of office they should say "We did it to be done with it, so we can move on to representation."

Keith and stuff
02-22-2013, 11:21 PM
That is crazy. It's the exact opposite of what I was taught. Also, the Committee should have allowed at least a couple hours of testimony. I've testified on a bill for close to 10 minutes if you include the Q & A session.

Anti Federalist
02-22-2013, 11:53 PM
LOL @ "Democracy" and "democratically elected leaders".

nano1895
02-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Yeah, too important to be harassed by their constitutents...then they turn around during election season filled with Ads screaming ELECT ME ELECT ME!!!!

NIU Students for Liberty
02-23-2013, 12:18 AM
But, but, states' rights and stuff

Working Poor
02-23-2013, 01:53 AM
WTF

puppetmaster
02-23-2013, 02:36 AM
Representation have been gone in this country for decades. Everyone now are called "leaders" to lead the serfs to slaughter.

Smart3
02-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Absolutely outrageous. 80% of Americans support medical marijuana.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Representation have been gone in this country for decades. Everyone now are called "leaders" to lead the serfs to slaughter.

They call themselves that, anyway.

BAllen
02-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Well then we can move on and keep harassing them with legalizing pot for everyone.

RockEnds
02-23-2013, 08:43 AM
I hope the people keep calling.

kathy88
02-23-2013, 08:48 AM
I hope the people keep calling.

I hope they triple their efforts. Fuck these people.

kathy88
02-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Calling Gunny... Nice opportunity here I think...

Occam's Banana
02-23-2013, 08:49 AM
"Uppity mundanes. Who the hell do they think they are? We'll show them who's boss ..."

mczerone
02-23-2013, 09:26 AM
If the "lawmakers" ignore the people, the people can ignore the written laws.

surf
02-23-2013, 12:00 PM
If the "lawmakers" ignore the people, the people can ignore the written laws.that's good, but there must be an initiative process of some kind to get this on a ballot and "legally" help the sick while simultaneously telling these legislative bastards to go f/3ck themselves.

but wait until after the Dayton 500. this is NC.

QuickZ06
02-23-2013, 12:09 PM
They work for us, blahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahaahhahahahahaha!!!!

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-23-2013, 04:15 PM
They work for us, blahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahaahhahahahahaha!!!!

Yeah, I remember the time my boss kept bugging me about that report. I finally flushed it down the toilet so he'd shut the fuck up.

satchelmcqueen
02-23-2013, 05:34 PM
fucking cowards

MrTudo
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Hahahaha make sure y'all train yur yunguns to sign up to carry weapons overseas and shoot at people or occupy their countries............for our freedom and to fully support the very regime that is fking us all. Thank you so much for your service!

GunnyFreedom
02-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Calling Gunny... Nice opportunity here I think...

Oh believe me, I am using the heck out of this nonsense. I just boiled over a peck of socialcons over this.

The guy quoted here is enemy #1 of the Constitutionalist movement in NC. Our guy in the NCGA managed to erode him pretty good in 2012 by putting him on the wrong side of Agenda 21. He was 'promoted into a position of lesser influence and power' as a result. There is a whole encyclopedia of backstory here between the man being quoted and another man named Mark Creech of the Christian Action League.

A more anti-Christian pair you have never met. Sometimes I think they actually study the Pharisees of ancient Israel as a group to emulate.

They really messed up with this one however. Even the hard-core antidrug social conservatives are horrified at what happened in this case. You know you messed up when you have hardcore antidrug social cons freaking out about how a medical marijuana bill was killed.

Latest word is the blowback from this has been so hard that Speaker Tillis is considering methods to bring the measure back up. IMHO people should turn the volume up 100-fold.

AGRP
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
You can't drink, smoke cigs, open carry, smoke mari, etc. here, but would you please sacrifice your life and others for our freedooomz? Youll be a hero and we will acknowledge you during all sporting events and well subsidize companies to run commercials that thank you. Thanks from the bottom of our hearts...really.

paulbot24
02-23-2013, 09:28 PM
You can't drink, smoke cigs, open carry, smoke mari, etc. here, but would you please sacrifice your life and others for our freedooomz? Youll be a hero and we will acknowledge you during all sporting events and well subsidize companies to run commercials that thank you. Thanks from the bottom of our hearts...really.

When all our freedoms are gone, what will they tell the troops they are fighting for? No wonder they are discussing the draft.

TywinLannister
02-23-2013, 09:41 PM
I really don't think this bill has "too much support" in NC. NC will be one of the last states to legalize even medical marijuana. There is a church every 50 feet in NC if that tells you anything.

RPtotheWH
02-23-2013, 09:44 PM
I really don't think this bill has "too much support" in NC. NC will be one of the last states to legalize even medical marijuana. There is a church every 50 feet in NC if that tells you anything.

Which is always mind-blowing, who do the church-goers think created Cannabis?

TywinLannister
02-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Which is always mind-blowing, who do the church-goers think created Cannabis?

If they used logic, they wouldn't be in church in the first place.

sailingaway
02-23-2013, 09:49 PM

I think medical marijuana, as the baby boomers age, is seen more as a better pain drug for terminal illness. Even if people think it shouldn't be used any more recreationally than morphine, it is a heck of a lot better for you if you need a prescribed pain drug. Anyone who has seen people knocked out on morphine and has seen people high on marijuana would know which they'd prefer, and that includes church elder Grandmothers, I'm pretty sure.

GunnyFreedom
02-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Huh.

I guess I live in a different 'North Carolina' than you do, because I've found plenty of support, even with all the Churches around. :confused:

GunnyFreedom
02-23-2013, 09:51 PM
If they used logic, they wouldn't be in church in the first place.

Well, that's offensive.

sailingaway
02-23-2013, 09:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpRuciwYZn0

Working Poor
03-11-2014, 07:01 PM
This pisses me off so much that I had to bump it up again so maybe others can be pissed off with me.

Snew
03-11-2014, 07:08 PM
This pisses me off so much that I had to bump it up again so maybe others can be pissed off with me.

Our NC lawmakers are a bunch of morons!

GunnyFreedom
03-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Our NC lawmakers are a bunch of morons!

Some are some aren't. Skippy isn't a moron, he is a wicked hypocrite and a liar though. Don't underestimate that guy - he's no genius, but he's a fair sharp crack at the whip, which makes his brand of evil both more insidious and odious at the same time.

Working Poor
03-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Some are some aren't. Skippy isn't a moron, he is a wicked hypocrite and a liar though. Don't underestimate that guy - he's no genius, but he's a fair sharp crack at the whip, which makes his brand of evil both more insidious and odious at the same time.

I wish I lived in his district I would knock on every door campaigning for who ever was running against him. I will probably contribute to the campaign of anyone running against him though. MFer