PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Gun Ban Quietly Passes Senate Committee in Dead of Night

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Late last night, the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee quietly slid Martin O'Malley's gun ban out of the committee door.

This disastrous bill is starting to gain momentum in the legislature and I need to ask you to make an emergency contribution to help us stop this bill now.

I just finished listening to the committee deliberations...it was one of the most insane discussions I have ever heard.

Throughout the entire session, you could hear the members of the committee and their staff laugh as they itemized which of our gun rights they were going to steal.

Senator Jim Brochin of Baltimore County offered several amendments.

As he began to talk, it quickly became clear that he didn't even realize what was in one of his own amendments. When he couldn't answer questions about the amendment, the rest of the committee laughed at him.

When Brochin introduced his next amendment, the chairman asked him "do you know what this one does?"

Brochin is a perfect example of the typical lying politician that throws us into these dire circumstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcbbZ17PlnY

Last month, a group of concerned gun owners held a meeting with Senator Brochin. In the video above, he did everything he could to assure the gun rights activists that he was helping to protect their rights.

When the bill was put forward last night, he stabbed us in the back and voted in favor the worst gun criminalization legislation in the history of Maryland.

The bill passed with a 7-4 vote.

We plan to bring the pain to dishonest politicians like Jim Brochin and we are counting on gun rights supporters like you to contribute to this fight.

Now that this bill has started to gain momentum, we don't have much time to act.

The bill now goes to the full senate and will receive a vote by legislators across the state.

We need to engage Maryland gun owners and the thousands of our activist members on this issue right now.

This has become a state wide fight and we need to activate every gun rights supporter we can communicate with.

However, email, letters, literature, phone calls - every type of outreach that we organize costs money.

Fighting this bill is something we are proud to organize - but we can't do it without your help.

Will you please consider making a generous donation to our efforts to protect the 2nd amendment rights of Marylanders?

In Liberty,

Robin Grammer
Baltimore Gun Owners

P.S. - We don't have much time to mobilize on this issue - please consider making a generous contribution to our efforts today.

Donate here:

https://secure.piryx.com/donate/xPKuYoqQ/Maryland-Liberty-PAC/baltimorecounty

-t

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 08:49 AM
SB-281 Amendments

Muse amendments:

1. change training from 8 hours to 4 hours
2. change fee for license from $100 to $50

Frosh amendments:

1. some housekeeping amendments - ADOPTED
2. changes copycat AW to two-feature instead of one feature - ADOPTED
3. adds RR police to exceptions
adds posession by FFLs as an allowed exception to AW posession
excepts retired LE to receive an AW transferred by LE agency - ADOPTED
4. no need to re-register AW's purchased as regulated firearms - ADOPTED
5. licensed firearms manufacturer can continue to posses and transport AW's
retired LE would not have to get a handgun qualification license or training
exemption for training for firearm instructors - ADOPTED
6. records check housekeeping (MSP would handle submission to repository) - ADOPTED
7. clarifies how MSP would handle application, format etc.
firearms instructors would not have to take training course
renew requirement and fee $20 no-retraining, no re-firgerprinting - ADOPTED
8. replacement process and fee $20 for lost or stolen cards AMENDED TO SHALL UNLESS
OTHERWISE DISQUALIFIED - ADOPTED
9. housekeeping
adds 5.1.3.3(b) (c) takes out prohibition about ammo posession of minors (sort of) -
ADOPTED
10. mental health prohibitions for a firearms application re voluntary admissions adds 30
day admission disqualifies you - ADOPTED (ZIRKIN AMENDMENT REMOVE 30 DAYS AND ADDING ADMISSION VIA AN EMERGENCY ROOM AND ADMITTED UNDER AN EMERGENCY PETITION FROM A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL UNDER 10-622 AND DETERMINED HAVE A MENTAL DISORDER AND TO BE A DANGER TO THEMSELVES OR OTHERS - AMENDMENT FAILED)
11. mental health facility would be required to report to NICS - ADOPTED
12. clean up of mental health professional registration requirement that was no longer valid - ADOPTED
13. housekeeping about access to records for relief process - ADOPTED
14. changes agency to report to nics to corrections instead of MSP - ADOPTED
15. changes CCW training to 16 for initial, 8 hours for renewal - ADOPTED. (AMENDMENT FROM BROCHIN FOR SHALL ISSUE FAILED 5-6)
16. shotguns and rifles have same mental health disqualification as regulated firearm -
ADPOTED
17. add exemptions to training for CCW for retired LE, retired military and certified
firearms instructor - ADOPTED
18. MSP can give a handgun qualification license if you get a CCW permit - ADOPTED

Brochin amendment:

1. add danger to self as disqualifying factor for mental health issues (suicidal) -
WITHDRAWN (drafted to wrong section of law)

Frosh amendment:

19. gives MSP same authority to regulate firearms dealer as the ATF has (I assume they mean

revoke or suspend their Maryland regulated firearms dealer license, not their FFL) this was

SB266 adding this now to SB281 ADOPTED - (BROCHIN AMENDMENT - TO MAKE TIME LIMIT 48 HOURS -

ADOPTED) (SHANK AMENDMENT - MSP MAY INSPECT RECORDS WITH ADVANCE NOTICE - FAILED)

Brochin amendment:

2. handgun license expires in 10 years instead of 5 - ADOPTED

Jacobs amendment:

1. to make the license permanent - FAILED 5-6

Shank amendment:

1. to kill fingerprint requirement - FAILED 4-7

Getty amendment:

1. to add bay pilots to list of those exempted from purchasing AW's - FAILED 4-7

Jacobs amendment:

2. to kill licensing requirements - FAILED 5-6 (BROCHIN IN FAVOR)

Shank amendment:

1. excepts security contractors of US Govt from assault weapon ban - WITHDRAWN

Jacobs amendment:

3. repeals ballistic fingerprinting law - FAILED 5-5

Shank amendment:

2. removes live fire and marksmanship from the training requirements - FAILED 5-6

3. changes penalties for unregistered assault weapons to civil penalties (citing the problem

of deployed armed forces members) - WITHDRAWN

Jacobs amendment:

4. auxillary police officers exempted from the provisions of the bill - WITHDRAWN

Brochin amendment:

2. reduce fees to $25 for firearms license - FAILED 5-6

Jacobs amendment:

5. to remove antique firearms from the provisions of the bill - ADOPTED (I THINK)

Brochin amendment:

3. to kill license fees - FAILED

Shank amendment:

4. to specifically allow transport of legally possessed assault weapons - WITHDRAWN

Brochin amendment:

4. taking out random assault weapons whatever that is - FAILED 5-6

5. exempt armored car agencies from the provisions of the bill - FAILED 5-6

-t

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 08:53 AM
So now we get to choose whether or not we want to be the generation that quietly gave freedom back to the monster our forefathers fought to cage.

-t

fisharmor
02-22-2013, 09:19 AM
There is no geographical location in Maryland which is more than 45 minutes' drive to a more gun-friendly state.

I wish them luck, but the bottom line is that even though it ranks after California, New York, and New Jersey, it still beats out at least 40 states on the list of lost causes, and of all of the lost causes, it's the most escapable.

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 09:55 AM
There is no geographical location in Maryland which is more than 45 minutes' drive to a more gun-friendly state.

I wish them luck, but the bottom line is that even though it ranks after California, New York, and New Jersey, it still beats out at least 40 states on the list of lost causes, and of all of the lost causes, it's the most escapable.

Don't follow? What do you mean?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QKaxg9PYDXs/UQfUxApKOOI/AAAAAAAAJBc/Yv8uHbWmo6o/s720/Gun%2520Bills%25202013.JPG

-t

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 10:28 AM
OH GOD! - they are up to 75 bills now!

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=narrowsubjpage&tab=subject3&id=guns&stab=01&ys=2013RS

After they saw 4,000 people show up in protest, they kept the main nuclear bill, but also fragmented it and stuck it in tons and tons of bills, seeing what they could get to stick to the wall as they shoveled BS in front of a fan... :mad:

I see a lot of comments on a local 2A forum along the lines of: Where is the NRA?, GOA?, the gun manufacturers?, the GOP? the Libertarians?... We are in a world of hurt! Is anyone interested in getting active and fighting it? You don't nesc have to live in the state.

Few areas:
fundraising
robo-calls
contacting reps
there are some big rallies coming up so if you live close W.VA, PA, NJ, DE, DC, VA, and of course MD, we need visible numbers. These will be in Annapolis MD.
Does any C4L person have access to votervault? There is a field there for gun owners. That and name/contact info would go a long way.
Set up a retribution fund to remove any senator or house member that votes for this as well as pledge to canvas against them in 2014 (if practical) for anyone that votes for this.
other?

-t

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Last Friday was the deadline for bills to be entered - Below is a list of the most troublesome Anti-Gun bills with a brief description:

HB0107 Firearms - Detachable Magazines – Reducing Maximum Capacity to 10 rounds for Ammunition - same wording as in corresponding section of HB294 & SB281
Sponsor: Delegate Gutierrez cross–filled with SB539
Hearing: Judiciary 3/5@1pm

HB0294 Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (cross-filed SB281) Assault weapons ban - 10 round magazine limit – registration - fingerprints & hand gun license
Sponsor: Speaker Hearing: Judiciary 3/5@1pm

HB0773 Somehow manufacturers must make encoded ammo for sale in MD and Regulated Firearms must use “Encoded Ammunition” which would be taxed 5 per round & all ammo tracked by the State Police
Sponsor: Delegate Burns Hearing: Ways & Means 3/5 @1pm

HB0776 Public Safety – Requires sellers of Ammunition to keep sales records of every purchase using drivers license & provide same to State Police
Sponsor: Delegate Anderson Hearing: Judiciary 3/5 @1pm

HB0894 Firearms – Increases Dealer's License and Handgun Permit Application Fees by $2.00 Sponsor: Delegate Rosenberg Hearing: Judiciary 3/5@1pm

HB1077 Public Safety - Regulated Firearms – requires owner of regulated firearm to report Lost or Stolen regulated firearm within 72hrs or $500 1st fine.
Sponsor: Delegate Clippinger Hearing: Judiciary 3/5 @1pm

HB1092 Public Safety - Firearms – requires owner of firearm to report Lost or Stolen firearm within 48hrs or $500 1st fine.
Sponsor: Delegate Gutierrez Hearing: Judiciary 3/5 @1pm

HB1191 Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 same wording as the Assault Weapons ban & magazine limit as in corresponding section of SB281 & HB294
Sponsor: Delegate Rosenberg Hearing: Judiciary 3/5 @1pm

HB1251 Public Safety - Firearms - Firearms Sales Prohibition - Prohibiting the sale or transfer of a regulated firearm or ammunition by a business that derives more than 10% of the business' gross revenues from the sale of groceries; specifying penalties; etc. - The Wal-Mart bill?
Sponsor: Delegate Clippinger Hearing: Judiciary 3/5 @1pm

HB1275 Public Safety - Regulated Firearms - Firearm and Permit Surcharge A $10 & $25 surcharge to be imposed on every regulated firearm sale to be sent to the mental health services fund (because guns cause mental illness?)
Sponsor: Delegate Cardin Hearing: Judiciary 3/5 @1pm

Senate Bills Oppose
SB0281 Firearm Safety Act of 2013 Assault weapon ban - 10 round magazine limit – registration - fingerprints & hand gun license
Sponsor: President (cross-filed HB294) Heard 2/6

SB0445 Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Requirements and Limitations - rewrites the current Conceal Carry requirements to include required training and a long list of places where Conceal Carry is not permitted like churches, movies & restaurants
Sponsor: Senator Ferguson Hearing: Judicial Proceedings 3/5 @1pm

SB0539 Firearms - Detachable Magazines - Maximum 10 round Capacity for Ammunition - same wording as in corresponding section of SB281 & HB294
Sponsor: Senator Raskin (cross-filled w/HB107) Hearing: Judicial Proceedings 3/5@1pm

SB0544 Public Safety - Ammunition - Requires sellers of Ammunition to keep sales records of every purchase using drivers license & provide same to State Police
Sponsor: Senator Frosh (cross-filled w/ HB776) Hearing: Judicial Proceedings 3/5 @1pm

SB0577 Public Safety - Firearms - Liability Insurance - Requiring a firearm owner to acquire insurance coverage of at least $250K for accidental injuries caused by the firearm; requiring any person who possesses a firearm before Oct 1, 2013 to comply - by Jan. 1, 2014. Sponsor: Senator Raskin Hearing: Judicial Proceedings 3/5 @1pm

SB0623 Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 same wording as the Assault Weapons ban & magazine limit sections as in corresponding section of SB281 & HB294
Sponsor: Senator Raskin Hearing: Judicial Proceedings 3/5 @1pm

-t

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Has anyone ever mounted a successful defense of stuff being pushed through like this?

If so, how?

-t

Philhelm
02-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Has anyone ever mounted a successful defense of stuff being pushed through like this?

If so, how?

-t

I shall tell you the tale of hearty British colonists living in a backwater continent known as North America...

invisible
02-22-2013, 11:31 AM

If so, how?

-t

Yeah. I moved out of MD years ago.

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Anything a bit more practical?

-t

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Some tactics:

Just emailed the full GA expressing that this is a bad law that I will not support. Also told them that even if I do not live in their district I will use my time and money to support the opponents of anybody who votes for this and make sure their constituents know they aren't for their rights.

When i call and am asked for my address.
I say "I would like to remind the Senator, he/she represents all Marylanders as their constituents in the capacity of a sitting member of the Judiciary committee". I still co-operate and give my address.

If you save the phone numbers with extentions in your cell phone as
1-800-492-7122,XXXX# where XXXX is the 4 digit extension, then your phone will dial the extension for you.

-t

cjm
02-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Anything a bit more practical?

-t

Count the votes needed for victory in the full legislative body, committee, or subcommittee and then attach names to them. If you're lucky, you might find 5 of 9 on a subcommittee that are pro-gun or on the fence. If you need to get on-the-fencers and anti-gunners to vote with you, pick the ones with the smallest margins of victory in the general election and target them. Then bring numbers -- phone calls, letters, email, personal visits, whatever you can think of. And bring them from the constituency that elected them. They will only respond to a perceived threat of losing their seats. Then follow up in the next general election to show that anti-gunners will lose their seats when they vote against the rights of Marylanders.

For bringing the numbers, go in person to meetings in the legislative district where you can find sympathetic folks and appeal to them face to face (GOP committees, LP, Tea Party, gardening clubs? whatever you can think of). Ask a range owner if you can post something for gun owners to read or take with them. If you have the time, greet them at the door if the owner will let you. Maybe have 10-20 versions of a simple letter worded differently and get folks to sign it on the spot and mail it yourself so you know that it gets done. Collect their contact info so that you can reach out to them in the future without having to make the face-to-face rounds at all the meetings.

These are things that Maryland Shall Issue, Maryland Citizens for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, and Maryland Shooters should already be doing. Maybe work with them and if they're not doing these things, volunteer to do them on behalf of whichever organizations you belong to?

If I lived closer to the MD border I would try to help a bit, but I'm four hours from DC. Good luck.

aGameOfThrones
02-22-2013, 01:01 PM
I don't know where people are drawing their "had enough line", but things like this will push some to their breaking point and might...

Hey, has anyone seen the new movie from sly Stallone "bullet to the head"?

Luciconsort
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
I'll be moving out of this increasingly Nazi state as soon as the first opportunity presents itself.

sailingaway
02-22-2013, 01:17 PM
bump

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 01:40 PM
I'll be moving out of this increasingly Nazi state as soon as the first opportunity presents itself.

I've had similar thoughts - though I love where I live. I'm next to a few schools - a CC and a Uni, and lower learning institutes... Close to all sorts of highways, Easy to get anywhere... Like the house. Next to a forest. Lots of wildlife. Slight travel to get anything, but being abit remote - I like... Easy access to major libraries and Archives... IDK...

I have become increasingly aware of how repressive and corrupt our local gvmt is. I'm pretty pissed off about it!

DE and NJ have probs - what do you think of PA and W.VA? DC is totally out and VA... well, they have issues too...

OH - maybe...

Maybe look further... NH is cold... (but friendly!)

I thought about some towns in the mountains of NC, but that state has some probs...

Thought about Seattle, rainy - but nice. Generally.

WY sounded kinda interesting...

The list continues...

Other ideas?

I'm seriously thinking of moving if this passes.

-t

qh4dotcom
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/536934_472253802828790_870634004_n.jpg

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Kinda like that there are 357 views of this thread... :)

-t

Lucille
02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
I've had similar thoughts - though I love where I live. I'm next to a few schools - a CC and a Uni, and lower learning institutes... Close to all sorts of highways, Easy to get anywhere... Like the house. Next to a forest. Lots of wildlife. Slight travel to get anything, but being abit remote - I like... Easy access to major libraries and Archives... IDK...

I have become increasingly aware of how repressive and corrupt our local gvmt is. I'm pretty pissed off about it!

DE and NJ have probs - what do you think of PA and W.VA? DC is totally out and VA... well, they have issues too...

OH - maybe...

Maybe look further... NH is cold... (but friendly!)

I thought about some towns in the mountains of NC, but that state has some probs...

Thought about Seattle, rainy - but nice. Generally.

WY sounded kinda interesting...

The list continues...

Other ideas?

I'm seriously thinking of moving if this passes.

-t

We could use some more libertarian types in AZ, to balance out the influx of prog locusts.

cjm
02-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Here's a "good places to live" thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?401308-Good-places-to-live

I made a pitch for south-western Virginia in it.

Other recent pro-Virginia posts by me:

Life Expectancy of a "High Cap" Magazine Ban Bill in Virginia: 18 minutes, 04 seconds. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?402509-Life-Expectancy-of-a-quot-High-Cap-quot-Magazine-Ban-Bill-in-Virginia-18-minutes-04-seconds)

Recent update on VCDL activity (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?401858-Perfect-way-to-end-the-day&p=4834187#post4834187)

Natural Citizen
02-22-2013, 03:45 PM
How many people are showing up for these?

tangent4ronpaul
02-22-2013, 03:45 PM
How many people are showing up for these?

-t