PDA

View Full Version : Letter from VA saying Veterans are unable to own guns or handle finances

Matthew5
02-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Is this a common letter from the VA?

http://redflagnews.com/headlines/disarming-americas-heros-veterans-receiving-official-letters-prohibiting-them-from-purchasing-possessing-receiving-or-transporting-a-firearm-or-ammunition

http://static.squarespace.com/static/4f34530ecb12e336a9dfe29c/512691c1e4b0c404ec2c7185/5126b972e4b0633b12672505/1361492340507/VA-letter_Page_1b.jpg?format=750w

http://static.squarespace.com/static/4f34530ecb12e336a9dfe29c/512691c1e4b0c404ec2c7185/5126ba0fe4b07b19b4c23e96/1361492497934/VA-letter_Page_2b.jpg?format=750w
http://static.squarespace.com/static/4f34530ecb12e336a9dfe29c/512691c1e4b0c404ec2c7185/5126b972e4b08c2e6d1cb19d/1361492340605/VA-letter_Page_3b.jpg?format=750w

kcchiefs6465
02-21-2013, 09:24 PM
With regards to the letter, I am not sure how common it is. [Probably pretty common] Some soldiers coming back are so fucked up [mentally and physically] that they are drugged heavily and must have a caretaker. I've seen the government use payees for those addicted to drugs. [not with regards to soldiers] It is pretty common practice. I'd imagine the soldier in question was seriously injured, saw some shit he can't unsee, and they use a payee to make sure his rent, food etc. is paid. They normally can still take money out if they write a note stating what they need the money for, sign it, and provide receipts. As to them not being allowed to own firearms afterwards, they are basically signing that they are mentally incompetent. I don't know if they can get those rights back or not, once they sign them away, and I don't know if this form is standard when being medicated and trying to receive benefits.

Disgusting, if you ask me.

jkr
02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
but stormtroopers?

a
o
k

Matthew5
02-21-2013, 09:31 PM
If a person is mentally incompetent to manage finances or own (or transport) a firearm or ammunition, how can they be expected to mount a credible defense?

kcchiefs6465
02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
If a person is mentally incompetent to manage finances or own (or transport) a firearm or ammunition, how can they be expected to mount a credible defense?
Simple. Have the next man's kids get ripped up by shrapnel. That is a response from someone trying to receive benefits. Whoever his caretaker is, is probably who requested him to have a payee. A lot of times they don't have a checking account, or transportation to cash the checks etc. so they rely on a family member. I don't know if it's common practice that they have them relinquish their right to bear arms [but I'd assume after reading the forms it is] and I don't know if there's a way to get them back.

It is disgusting that we put our children through that bullshit for [I]this. What, $800 a month? I don't even think it's that high.

I'm not trying to downplay the rightful outrage at this bullshit, I just am not surprised anymore.

Plenty more kids needing a check, or needing to get some bullshit, trumped up charge off their record, ready to go shoot some people for pennies. Not realizing they will be thrown away like a penny when they get back home. [if they get back home]

coastie
02-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Well, this is only ONE letter, to ONE veteran. A veteran, I may add, that we have NO IDEA of his medical history, or what prompted this letter to be sent. When 30 or 40 of these show up on this site tomorow, I may be a little more concerned. Too much we don't know in the background on this one....

Anti Federalist
02-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Well, this is only ONE letter, to ONE veteran. A veteran, I may add, that we have NO IDEA of his medical history, or what prompted this letter to be sent. When 30 or 40 of these show up on this site tomorow, I may be a little more concerned. Too much we don't know in the background on this one....

True enough.

Hey brother, can you recall that post you made a few days back that chronicled all the promiscuous acts committed by women taking SSRIs?

coastie
02-21-2013, 09:54 PM
True enough.

Hey brother, can you recall that post you made a few days back that chronicled all the promiscuous acts committed by women taking SSRIs?

This one:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?405035-Another-Teacher-of-the-Year-Admits-to-Sex-with-Student

Recall? I'm missing something here, aren't I?

Matthew5
02-21-2013, 09:55 PM

The author is implying that this is quite a few cases:

It is being sent by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of America’s heroes. In my capacity as Executive Director of the United States Justice Foundation (USJF) (http://www.usjf.net/) I have been contacted by some of these veterans and the stories I am getting are appalling.The letter provides no specifics on the reasons for the proposed finding of incompetency; just that is based on a determination by someone in the VA.

coastie
02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
The author is implying that this is quite a few cases:

...but only provided ONE example. As I said, if this is as real as we all hope it isn't, there will be hundreds of these letters all over the internet in short time. I hope they never appear.

kcchiefs6465
02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah but with respect, this letter is most likely being sent to any soldier who actually tries to cope with his problems. (by way of talking to a shrink) The letter further would make soldiers not want to seek help. And I'd be willing to bet this wasn't some hand typed letter to one man. It is probably a 'click, print' letter going around to quite a few.

ETA: To clarify more I don't think this is being sent to everyone wanting to receive benefits. But maybe those who want to receive benefits and need a payee (they don't have means of transportation to cash the check, etc.) are being forced to relinquish gun rights? I'm sure it is not that uncommon for a soldier to want a payee for his benefits. (one with his legs blown off, for example)

We don't have all the evidence but this should be looked into. They were good enough to carry weapons for 'you' when they were killing who 'needed to be killed' and protecting 'what needed to be protected' then they come back and can't so much as touch a gun.

coastie
02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Yeah but with respect, this letter is most likely being sent to any soldier who actually tries to cope with his problems. (by way of talking to a shrink) The letter further would make soldiers not want to seek help. And I'd be willing to bet this wasn't some hand typed letter to one man. It is probably a 'click, print' letter going around to quite a few.

Yeah, I get all of that, just hesitant to jump to conclusions. And you are right-the last page looks like every last page of every letter of business I get from them, lol. Mine are all GI Bill info, though.

kcchiefs6465
02-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I get all of that, just hesitant to jump to conclusions. And you are right-the last page looks like every last page of every letter of business I get from them, lol. Mine are all GI Bill info, though.
It looked legit to me but I am not a veteran. I edited my last post [tried to get that in there quick enough, guess I did not :)]

I can see scenarios where a soldier says something along the lines of being suicidal, or angry at being misled. Those statements somehow get put in his file and then when he tries to receive benefits they want him to relinquish his 2nd Amendment rights.

Maybe that's not where it is now but I could imagine it playing out just like that.

coastie
02-21-2013, 10:13 PM
It looked legit to me but I am not a veteran. I edited my last post [tried to get that in there quick enough, guess I did not :)]

I can see scenarios where a soldier says something along the lines of being suicidal, or angry at being misled. Those statements somehow get put in his file and then when he tries to receive benefits they want him to relinquish his 2nd Amendment rights.

Maybe that's not where it is now but I could imagine it playing out just like that.

Sounds entirely plausible to me.

Aeroneous
02-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Well the good news for this veteran is that with the speed at which the VA operates, he's got about 2 decades before anything comes of this.