PDA

View Full Version : Hagel has the votes

green73
02-21-2013, 05:05 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Barring any new, damaging information, Chuck Hagel has secured the necessary votes for the Senate to confirm him to be the nation's next defense secretary. A vote ending the bitter fight over President Barack Obama's Cabinet choice is expected next week.

Hagel cleared the threshold when five-term Republican Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama said he would vote for the former two-term GOP senator from Nebraska after joining other Republicans last week in an unprecedented filibuster of the Pentagon nominee.

"He's probably as good as we're going to get," Shelby told the Decatur (Ala.) Daily.

cont
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HAGEL_GOP_SENATOR?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-02-21-17-51-19

sailingaway
02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
He's had the votes for a month, at least, according to every list I've seen.

green73
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
He's had the votes for a month, at least, according to every list I've seen.

You should go to work for The Hill.

Lucille
02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
It's not stopping the neo-Trots and the (former) conservatives they infected with their sick, endless, preemptive war ideology from pitching more TTs over it, I see.

jmdrake
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM
LOL at all of the hand wringing over Hagel. For the record Richard Shelby was elected as a democrat.

sailingaway
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM
It is a sickening side show.

sailingaway
02-21-2013, 05:55 PM
just in clarification, I think he's awful. I just think the awful parts are going to be in anyone Obama nominates, and Hagel is likely the best we'd get.

seyferjm
02-21-2013, 08:25 PM
What bugs me more than anything is the reasoning behind the blocking of his nomination. Bunch of AIPAC tools.

Brett85
02-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Hagel's anti Israel positions are one of the main reasons to oppose his nomination. He does have some other positions on foreign policy that are actually good, but he just has a hatred for that country that makes him support a highly interventionist foreign policy when it comes to Israel.

COpatriot
02-21-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't have a problem with Hagel's Israel position at all since he's actually right. He can't possibly be a worse defense secretary than Rumsfeld. I want him confirmed simply because Hannity, Beck, Levin, Kristol, and Santorum have fought him so hard.

NorfolkPCSolutions
02-21-2013, 09:14 PM
The Globalists get what the Globalists want. Every time. Hearings, commissions, and the "debate" we see between the talking heads are nothing more than window dressing.

Hagel had the job before Obama placed his name into nomination.

TokenLibertarianGuy
02-21-2013, 09:15 PM
LOL at all of the hand wringing over Hagel. For the record Richard Shelby was elected as a democrat.

So was Larry McDonald and he was arguably the most conservative member of Congress of the past 100 years.

Brett85
02-21-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't have a problem with Hagel's Israel position at all since he's actually right. He can't possibly be a worse defense secretary than Rumsfeld. I want him confirmed simply because Hannity, Beck, Levin, Kristol, and Santorum have fought him so hard.

That's understandable, but it would kill Rand politically to vote in favor of confirming Hagel.

itshappening
02-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Chuck Schumer: Chuck Hagel ‘almost had tears’ in meeting

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said Wednesday that Chuck Hagel “almost had tears in his eyes” as he explained to the former Nebraska senator that the expression “Jewish lobby” is rooted in a negative depiction of Jews.

Schumer made the remarks about President Barack Obama’s pick for defense secretary at a breakfast in lower Manhattan hosted by the Association for a Better New York and the Downtown Alliance.

“Look, I had doubts about Sen. Hagel when his name was first floated, and I expressed those publicly on ‘Meet The Press’ and other places,” Schumer said. “And the president called me and said, ‘Before you come out with any decision, please sit down and talk to him.’ That was only fair.”

Schumer said he spent 90 minutes asking Hagel questions — including about a “nuclear Iran” — and “he answered them very well.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/schumer-chuck-hagel-almost-had-tears-in-meeting-87852.html#ixzz2Lav39C00
-

There you have it, straight from the horses mouth and that's why Hagel has the votes. He's a neocon tool notwithstanding his past statements which he has completely disavowed to get the job and has pledged allegiance to the Jewish State.

Wonder what the anti-war crowd are thinking now? They look like fools for supporting him or even caring about him and how Rand Paul votes for him. Just another reason to blow off hot air and attack the only libertarian senator.

FrankRep
02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
just in clarification, I think he's awful. I just think the awful parts are going to be in anyone Obama nominates, and Hagel is likely the best we'd get.
Things will stay the same, don't worry.

FrankRep
02-21-2013, 09:40 PM
There you have it, straight from the horses mouth and that's why Hagel has the votes. He's a neocon tool notwithstanding his past statements which he has completely disavowed to get the job and has pledged allegiance to the Jewish State.

Aren't you Hagel's #1 fan? You were pushing for him pretty hard.

COpatriot
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
That's understandable, but it would kill Rand politically to vote in favor of confirming Hagel.

Of course it would which is why he'll vote against him and I understand that completely. If he voted to confirm the AM radio jagoffs and the RedState/Breitfart nuts would work night and day to sink him.

FrankRep
02-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Of course it would which is why he'll vote against him and I understand that completely. If he voted to confirm the AM radio jagoffs and the RedState/Breitfart nuts would work night and day to sink him.
Rand Paul is a Constitutionalist, he'll vote against Hagel.

Brett85
02-21-2013, 09:49 PM

I don't know if Rand will vote against him or not. He still says that he's undecided. He has a little bit of cover since three other Republicans say they're going to vote to confirm him.

Smart3
02-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Hagel's nomination means that the Secretary of Defense for the first time in many decades will finally be about Defense and not War.

Hagel is not pro-peace, but he's our best shot at ending the war in Afghanistan. Imagine all the evil men Obama could have picked instead and then consider that Hagel was, in many ways, closer to us than DeMint or Lee. You won't see DeMint criticizing the Jewish* lobby.

*not all Jews obviously.

Brett85
02-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Hagel's nomination means that the Secretary of Defense for the first time in many decades will finally be about Defense and not War.

Hagel is not pro-peace, but he's our best shot at ending the war in Afghanistan. Imagine all the evil men Obama could have picked instead and then consider that Hagel was, in many ways, closer to us than DeMint or Lee. You won't see DeMint criticizing the Jewish* lobby.

*not all Jews obviously.

What wars did Hagel vote against as a U.S Senator?

itshappening
02-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Aren't you Hagel's #1 fan? You were pushing for him pretty hard.

Like Richard Shelby I think he's the best we're going to get.

But that doesn't mean he's anti-war or anything. He's pretty much bent his knee to Chuck Schumer and Israel by crying and pledging allegiance to them.

sailingaway
02-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Hagel's anti Israel positions are one of the main reasons to oppose his nomination. He does have some other positions on foreign policy that are actually good, but he just has a hatred for that country that makes him support a highly interventionist foreign policy when it comes to Israel.

He voted for a ton of stuff for Israel and resolutions. He just didn't vote for EVERYTHING.

Show me one place he was 'anti Israel' where 'anti' really means against, not just missing a hoop others jumped through.

sailingaway
02-21-2013, 11:17 PM

He supported Iraq initially but was one of the first to turn against it, so he is remembered as being against it.

MRK
02-21-2013, 11:36 PM
He supported Iraq initially but was one of the first to turn against it, so he is remembered as being against it.

That's like dropping a nuclear bomb from a plane and before it reaches the ground you broadcast on a radio that you are against the use of nuclear armaments, so that you will be remembered as being against the destructive force of the explosion the whole time.

lol

sailingaway
02-21-2013, 11:38 PM
That's like dropping a nuclear bomb from a plane and before it reaches the ground you broadcast on a radio that you are against the use of nuclear armaments.

It is as to that action, although I think he voted against funding surges and stuff, I don't remember precisely. But if it was an honest change of mind, it would impact future decisions. It means he isn't scared of saying some military funding isn't worth it, is the idea. I don't think he's great, but who is better who is potentially on the list?

supermario21
02-21-2013, 11:40 PM

He may have voted against Kosovo intervention, although most Republicans except for the McCains of the party voted that way as well.

Matt McGuire
02-21-2013, 11:42 PM
I don't think anyone ever doubted his confirmation, it's just been a question of how long the filibuster would be.

e.g. Intrade has consistently had him over %90 chance: http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/contract/?contractId=769541

FrankRep
02-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Hagel's anti Israel positions are one of the main reasons to oppose his nomination.

What anti-Israel positions?

Chuck Hagel is a friend to Israel (http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/13/opinion/azriel-hagel-israel)

CNN
January 14, 2013

It's clear from the coverage of the nomination of former Sen. Chuck Hagel for the 24th secretary of defense that many of those opposing him do not know him personally, as I do. The facts speak for themselves: His record shows strong support for Israel.

Chuck Hagel’s Pro-Israel Record (http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/12/19/1357931/chuck-hagel-pro-israel/?mobile=nc)

Think Progress
Dec 19, 2012

The opposition to Hagel is also centered around the premise that he is somehow “anti-Semitic” and anti-Israel and would be unwilling take action against Iran over its nuclear program. But delving into the Senator’s statements, however, it’s clear that Hagel has a long history of pro-Israel sentiment and concern about Iran. The following is a collection of some of Hagel’s public statements on Israel during his time in the Senate:

Giuliani was there on 911
02-22-2013, 12:48 AM

He's a Zionist ass kisser. That's why he's voting against Hagel.

vita3
02-22-2013, 06:54 AM
I like that Hagel doesn't bend over & let Israel have it's way w/ America. Wish he was 15 years younger.

Not a horrible nominee for O

FrankRep
02-22-2013, 08:15 AM
I like that Hagel doesn't bend over & let Israel have it's way w/ America. Wish he was 15 years younger.

Not a horrible nominee for O

Hagel will do what he's told.

Chuck Hagel is a friend to Israel (http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/13/opinion/azriel-hagel-israel)

CNN
January 14, 2013

It's clear from the coverage of the nomination of former Sen. Chuck Hagel for the 24th secretary of defense that many of those opposing him do not know him personally, as I do. The facts speak for themselves: His record shows strong support for Israel.

Chuck Hagel’s Pro-Israel Record (http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/12/19/1357931/chuck-hagel-pro-israel/?mobile=nc)

Think Progress
Dec 19, 2012

The opposition to Hagel is also centered around the premise that he is somehow “anti-Semitic” and anti-Israel and would be unwilling take action against Iran over its nuclear program. But delving into the Senator’s statements, however, it’s clear that Hagel has a long history of pro-Israel sentiment and concern about Iran. The following is a collection of some of Hagel’s public statements on Israel during his time in the Senate:

Lucille
02-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Assessing the Damage from the Hagel Fight
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/assessing-the-damage-from-the-hagel-fight/

...Most Senate Republicans have inflicted far more significant political damage on themselves. Republicans aren’t going to lose any Senate seats over this, but they have come across as petty and unreasonable, neither of which makes it any easier to improve their party’s reputation with former and new voters. They have just spent the last few months validating almost every dissident conservative and realist argument that they can’t be trusted on foreign policy and national security with the views they currently hold, which undermines the chances of credible Republican foreign policy reform in the near future. Regrettably, few things have recently demonstrated how much the GOP needs that reform than the spectacle we’ve been watching for the last two months.

To the extent they have been involved in the opposition effort, Republican and movement conservative leaders and activists have come out of this looking absurd and irrelevant. The anti-Hagel pundits and activists were sure that they could derail Hagel, but all that they managed to do was remind everyone that they are hard-line fanatics that can and should be ignored, and despite this most Senate Republicans still chose to identify with their cause. As Scott McConnell notes, the anti-Hagel effort both confirms and reflects the fact that the national GOP has unfortunately become a joke. As long as its national leaders continue to heed the bad advice of foreign policy hard-liners, it will continue to be one for a long time.

FrankRep
02-24-2013, 06:53 PM
He's a Zionist ass kisser. That's why he's voting against Hagel.
Rand Paul is not a "Zionist ass kisser." How rude.

Brett85
02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Assessing the Damage from the Hagel Fight
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/assessing-the-damage-from-the-hagel-fight/

The American Conservative is becoming more and more absurd all the time. Apparently to them Chuck Hagel is a hardcore libertarian non interventionist, and Rand is a neo-con for voting against closure.

emazur
02-25-2013, 12:24 AM

In Ron Paul's recent Geraldo interview (http://www.dailypaul.com/275853/ron-paul-interviewed-by-geraldo-rivera#comments), he said that if he was in the Senate "I would probably vote for him" (Hagel). So what does that make Ron Paul in your view?

Lucille
02-25-2013, 10:11 AM
The American Conservative is becoming more and more absurd all the time. Apparently to them Chuck Hagel is a hardcore libertarian non interventionist, and Rand is a neo-con for voting against closure.

That's not really their take on the whole thing, TC. They know what he's trying to do (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/paul-and-hagel-revisited/), and they think it's a stupid move (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/hagel-temporarily-blocked-paul-permanently-damaged/), for himself and the GOP.

In Ron Paul's recent Geraldo interview (http://www.dailypaul.com/275853/ron-paul-interviewed-by-geraldo-rivera#comments), he said that if he was in the Senate "I would probably vote for him" (Hagel). So what does that make Ron Paul in your view?

I'm not surprised. Hagel's not great, but a realist is better than a neo-Trot. Ron has never tried to play nice with the Trots. Even if he wanted to, he would know there's no pleasing them (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/rand-paul-and-chuck-hagel/). Rand will fail where his father wisely never wasted his time sucking up to the contemptible bastards while alienating the people who got him elected.

Neo-Trotskyites must be utterly repudiated and completely purged from the GOP. They can go back to the Democrat party from whence they came and where they belong. If not, the GOP can finally die a long overdue and well-earned death as a national party.

Brett85
02-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Rand will fail where his father wisely never wasted his time sucking up to the contemptible bastards while alienating the people who got him elected.

I fail to see how Rand voting against confirming a liberal internationalist like Hagel would alienate the people who got him elected. The only thing that some people here like about Hagel is that he's made a large number of anti Israel statements in the past. He's certainly never advocated any sort of non interventionism. He never voted against any overseas war when he was a member of Congress as far as I know.

FrancisMarion
02-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Paul just voted "No" on moving Hagel nomination forward. McCain, Graham: Aye

I guess this means that Rand has not made up his mind on the nomination and McCain and Graham have.