PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Prices Jump 145%

green73
02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
The price of his store's ammunition has more than doubled since mid-December, says Larry Hyatt, owner of Hyatt Gun Shop in Charlotte, N.C., which bills itself "America's Largest Gun Shop."

I spoke to Mr. Hyatt today about the increase in the price of ammunition since mid-December (when the gun control debate began to heat up). Hyatt said that the ammo market is "very volatile" and that he "doesn't know when the next shipment will be."

His best seller right now is .22LR caliber. Gun owners like to shoot this caliber because it is typically a cheaper round and also optimal for target shooting, known as "plinking"

A box containing 500 rounds of .22LR was selling for approximately $20/box back in December. Today, Mr. Hyatt tells me he is selling the same box for $49. This represents a 145 percent increase in price.

We "immediately started rationing" as there are "a lot of unknowns for deliveries of products," Hyatt said.

The 5.56 caliber, used in the "assault rifle," was selling for $0.50 a round in mid-December. Today this caliber sells for $1.00/round; a 100 percent increase in price.

Mr. Hyatt also said that 50 rounds of 9mm were selling for $10.99 - but, they're now priced at $24.00 per box. This represents an increase of 118 percent.

Hyatt says the talk around his shop these days is that, next week, it'll cut the number of rounds allowed per purchase in half - and the week after that, they'll just show their customers a picture of a box of ammo.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/ammo-prices-have-doubled-december-americas-largest-gun-shop

Anti Federalist
02-21-2013, 04:45 PM
His best seller right now is .22LR caliber

Seller?

I can't find a box of .22 LR anywhere.

I'm well stocked, but I had a buddy come and ask if I could find some for him, he looked high and low and found bupkis.

tangent4ronpaul
02-21-2013, 04:49 PM
WOW!

You mean you can still find ammo available anywhere?

-t

robertwerden
02-21-2013, 04:58 PM
I just got a new 9mm and it looks like it will be a year before I get to shoot it. It is crazy how the ammo that does get stocked is gone before you can click the email link that notified you, or the prices are so high that you cant justify shooting 200 rounds at the range at the cost of $100 when it normally would have cost $40. I have a small stash of self defense rounds for all my guns that I wont shoot because they are not replaceable as of right now.

coastie
02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Glad I stocked up waaaayyyyyy before all this shit happened. I have enough .45 I may sell some because I need money that bad. From what this guy is saying, I maybe able to get $70 / box of 100 (FMJ). Sweet.

HOLLYWOOD
02-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Who's the largest purchaser of Assault rounds (5.56 & 9 mm) rounds.

Maybe the DHS is jacking the prices up on all of us.

DHS' 2 Billion rounds in the past year can drive up Inflation on Americans.

tangent4ronpaul
02-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Generally have the same thoughts, however, they seem to be buying from the same ammo manufacturer. That should leave the others product for the public.

-t

mello
02-21-2013, 06:17 PM
The brand of ammo that I used to buy in bulk by the thousand was Magtech 9mm. I haven't seen that brand of ammo in bulk online in months. Not even for individual boxes of 50. It's nuts out there.

tasteless
02-21-2013, 06:44 PM
What does it take to get into the ammo manufacturing business? Are there any special laws or restrictions that make it difficult to start a business in?

ClydeCoulter
02-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Cheaper than dirt has "some" 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39...but prices have gone up quite a bit.

Legend1104
02-21-2013, 11:29 PM
I think a better title would have been, "ammo prices shot up 145%."

Anti Federalist
02-22-2013, 12:41 AM
///

mad cow
02-22-2013, 03:50 AM
http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/223-556/

Check it 10/20 times a day.I missed out on 1000/7.62x39@$0.28/round yesterday by seconds at SGAmmo.It was in stock while I was placing the order,sold out before I finished and they have all my info,I just had to type in my CC#.The ammo had been on the market for 51 minutes when I placed my order.Ya gotta be quick.

The same place got 200 cases of my favorite .22lr a week or so ago,it sold out in 30 minutes @ $0.07/round,a good price,one million rounds.

Ammo has gone up,but not by that much everywhere and people are noticing and remembering who is charging what now and who to buy from later when things settle down.
The problem is the ones who aren't really jacking their prices up see the ammo fly off their shelves instantly.
Ya gotta be quick.

devil21
02-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Hyatt is already way overpriced. Been there a couple times (local to me) and was shocked at their gun and ammo prices, and that was before the Obama scares started. Bad example for the article!

ninepointfive
02-22-2013, 03:41 PM

these are the calibers to buy if one considers the spoils of war :cool:

VBRonPaulFan
02-22-2013, 03:49 PM
in the case of .22 ammo, it's gone up 400% around here. i frequently see people selling a box of 500 rounds for $100 now, when it used to be $18-$20 at wal-mart or wherever.

i can find ammo pretty easy locally still, it's just way more expensive than it was a few months back. i bought a cheapy 50 round box of 9mm ammo today for $19 bucks because i'm pretty much flat out, otherwise i'd just as soon waited. once the current admin realizes they aren't getting any gun control shit passed, things will calm back down and ammo prices will drop again.

cbc58
02-22-2013, 03:56 PM
I just bit the bullet and paid a $20 premium over retail for a box of .22LR's... about a 75% premium to retail It was costing me more in gas to run back and forth to the store to try and get a box. Made 6 trips and each time they were sold out before I got there... sometimes before the doors opened (people were there an hour early waiting) They have put a limit of one box per customer now. Now I don't care and it's worth the premium not to have to worry.