PDA

View Full Version : Group to give away shotguns in high-crime areas

green73
02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – A University of Houston graduate student says he’s conducting a study to hopefully answer the question being asked across the country, “Do more guns reduce crime or not?”

Kyle Coplen, who founded the Armed Citizens Project, is giving away 20-gauge single-shot shotguns to residents in mid- and high-crime neighborhoods to test whether or not the weapon will help reduce crime in the area, according to the group’s website. Coplen says the weapons are not of much value to criminals, but are especially useful for citizens looking to protect themselves from criminals.

cont
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/20/houston-group-giving-away-shotguns-high-crime-neighborhoods-to-test-if-crime-is-reduced/

green73
02-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Turns out his mom is a Paulian--and so he probably is too
http://www.dailypaul.com/275580/meet-my-son-kyle

sailingaway
02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Excellent idea, from the studies on concealed carry results driving crime down.

I hope the good guys aren't too brainwashed to step up for them.

fisharmor
02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
giving away 20-gauge single-shot shotguns.... Coplen says the weapons are not of much value to criminals

Well, not as such, but about 30 minutes with a hacksaw would make them pretty valuable.....

sailingaway
02-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Well, not as such, but about 30 minutes with a hacksaw would make them pretty valuable.....

well, maybe they are requiring evidence of being a resident. the bad guys will have guns, if they want them. I do see that some might end up put to bad use, and if it happens I'm sure it would be all over the media. But I do like the idea of more good guys being armed.

Pericles
02-22-2013, 01:34 PM

Are you telling me that criminals don't obey laws? Who knew?:D

Lucille
02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
well, maybe they are requiring evidence of being a resident...

They are:

All recipients must first pass a background check and have lived in their current home for longer than one year. They must also pass a safety and tactical course offered by the group.

“We’re not just tossing a bunch of shotguns into a community and walking away,” Coplen told Fox 26. “What we’re doing is finding residents who are interested in protecting themselves. we’re not forcing guns on anyone.”

V3n
02-22-2013, 01:56 PM
I hope this idea spreads.. especially to my neighborhood!

sailingaway
02-22-2013, 02:05 PM
They are:

Good. (I could have read it of course...) I was hoping about the training as well.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-22-2013, 02:16 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to green73 again.

Nice find.

green73
02-22-2013, 11:26 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to green73 again.

Nice find.

You're sweet.