PDA

View Full Version : Drones "We've killed over 4,700"

shane77m
02-21-2013, 07:28 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9884667/US-senator-says-drones-death-toll-is-4700.html

It was the first time a politician or any government representative had referred to a total number of fatalities in the drone strikes, which have been condemned by rights groups as extrajudicial assassinations.

The toll from hundreds of drone-launched missile strikes against suspected Al-Qaeda militants in Pakistan, Yemen and elsewhere has remained a mystery, as US officials refuse to publicly discuss any details of the covert campaign.

But Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, a staunch supporter of the drone raids, openly cited a number that exceeds some independent estimates of the death toll.

"We've killed 4,700," Mr Graham was quoted as saying by the Easley Patch, a local website covering the small town of Easley in South Carolina.

"Sometimes you hit innocent people, and I hate that, but we're at war, and we've taken out some very senior members of Al-Qaeda," Mr Graham told the Easley Rotary Club.

I hate to hear these POS politicians get up and speak about going to "war" with Al Qaeda and turn around and give them money and weapons. Everyone of them should be rounded up and tried for war crimes along with violating the Constitution.

seyferjm
02-21-2013, 07:36 AM
But it's our freedoms that they hate us for!111!!1

TonySutton
02-21-2013, 07:48 AM
At some point people may come to the US talking about war crimes. I would consider actively helping them find the scum bags.

tangent4ronpaul
02-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Several organisations have tried to calculate how many militants and civilians may have been killed in drone strikes since 2004 but have arrived at a wide range of numbers.

The figure cited by Graham matches the high end of a tally by the London-based Bureau of Investigative Journalism. It says the number killed in drone strikes in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia is between 3,072 and 4,756.

The Washington-based New America Foundation says there have been 350 US drone strikes since 2004, most of them during Barack Obama's presidency. And the foundation estimates the death toll at between 1,963 and 3,293, with 261 to 305 civilians killed.

====
If we take at face value the number of drone strikes and the higher casualty figure, that's about 100 people killed per strike, which is odd, as the reporting I usually see are in the 7-20 people killed. The largest and most recent one I heard about was when they hit a school, killing 14 AQ and 41 civilians - almost all of them children. I think the civilian death toll is a bit under-represented...

Something else to keep in mind is that Hellfire Missiles are a tad expensive. A basic one costs $25,000 and an advanced one costs $66,000. So they expended between 9 and 25 million dollars, just in munitions. That seems a bit excessive.

-t

Mani
02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
He actually admitted that innocent people have been murdered by drone strikes, but goes on to say.....aww shucks you know...war is hell...

What other country is allowed to bomb and kill innocent people in other countries and just say.....ya war sucks....

Is this for real??? Was that a real quote?

Am I taking crazy pills here to be the one disturbed by this???

So if u take 300 innocent civilians killed by drone strikes and guesstimate 30% of the victims are children that's like 3-4 sandy hook massacres the US has committed on foreign soil..and no one seems to have a problem with that???

I just don't understand how this is tolerated.

frodus24
02-22-2013, 11:06 AM
I wish you guys would stop trying to make me think...........I am watching TV and American Idol is starting! Shhhhh!

ronpaulfollower999
02-22-2013, 11:30 AM
American mindset- better them than me!

shane77m
02-22-2013, 11:49 AM
They got brown skin so they don't matter.