PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Ted Cruz heads to Ohio ahead of possible presidential run

sailingaway
02-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Sen. Ted Cruz heads to Ohio ahead of possible presidential run

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/20/sen-ted-cruz-heads-to-ohio-ahead-of-possible-presidential-run/#ixzz2LUY40fBk

QuickZ06
02-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Maybe he should just try being a senator first.

sailingaway
02-21-2013, 12:11 AM
I guess Obama did it, didn't he? First term?

He might just be getting his name out there for later runs.

WarAnonymous
02-21-2013, 12:25 AM
I hope he doesnt intend to run if Rand does indeed run.

QuickZ06
02-21-2013, 12:34 AM
I guess Obama did it, didn't he? First term?

He might just be getting his name out there for later runs.

Well to be fair, Obama did not come out and say anything or do anything towards presidency in his first two years as a senator, Cruz just seems really ancy already and its been only two months. What I know about him already scares me, need to get a real good idea of this guy from his first term to even think about him running for presidency.

The Gold Standard
02-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Cruz is a warmongering piece of shit. I've been saying that for months though. He doesn't give a fuck about Rand. I guess he is the face of the new liberty movement though.

Smart3
02-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Yeah he should totally consider running. Another crackpot from Texas running for the GOP nomination. That'll work out great!

(To avoid confusion, I wasn't calling Cruz a crackpot, I was saying only what the media will continue to call him)

WarAnonymous
02-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Well to be fair, Obama did not come out and say anything or do anything towards presidency in his first two years as a senator, Cruz just seems really ancy already and its been only two months. What I know about him already scares me, need to get a real good idea of this guy from his first term to even think about him running for presidency.

This.

MRK
02-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Cruz is a warmongering piece of shit. I've been saying that for months though. He doesn't give a fuck about Rand. I guess he is the face of the new liberty movement though.

Sad how I had 0 information about this guy but still suspected he was a warmongering pos, and low and behold, you have confirmed my suspicion. Does the pattern ever change?

QuickZ06
02-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Sad how I had 0 information about this guy but still suspected he was a warmongering pos, and low and behold, you have confirmed my suspicion. Does the pattern ever change?

No, same script new suits.

yinzer38
02-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Judging from his temperament thus far as a senator as well as interviews with classmates and people who knew him years ago, this guy's arrogance, which seems to be the main defining marker of his personality, could only result in him, if he were to make it through a Republican primary, headlining yet another landslide Republican defeat and the GOP's continued irrelevance as a national major party.

devil21
02-21-2013, 01:33 AM
I don't know much about Cruz but I do remember that a lot of TX Paulites worked for his campaign as part of a Tea Party coalition. Or at least it was claimed that they did. Any TX people know the real scoop on that?

Fwiw, I'd support a Paul/Cruz ticket.

american.swan
02-21-2013, 03:40 AM
I wouldn't. I don't trust the guy.

Can you give a few links to previous talk of a Ted Cruz presidential run? This is the first I've heard it.

Since Rand is the only person really running for president right now AND hitting home runs on every interview, i suspect the neocons are looking to counter. They wanted Rubio to start his campaigning but water ruined that. Ted Cruz might be plan B.

devil21
02-21-2013, 03:48 AM
I wouldn't. I don't trust the guy.

Can you give a few links to previous talk of a Ted Cruz presidential run? This is the first I've heard it.

Since Rand is the only person really running for president right now AND hitting home runs on every interview, i suspect the neocons are looking to counter. They wanted Rubio to start his campaigning but water ruined that. Ted Cruz might be plan B.

I definitely want some scoop on whether Paulites really worked for him and why. Im seeing some more establishment folks talking about both Rand and Cruz as good 2016 candidates so far.

compromise
02-21-2013, 03:49 AM
Cruz is unelectable. He's too brash, offensive and elitist. Rand is calm, content and can relate to the average American.

That being said, it's possible he could run against Rand to split the vote in the primaries, despite Rand endorsing him in 2012. Remember, Bachmann was endorsed by Ron in 2008 but still ran against him as a spoiler in 2012.

kathy88
02-21-2013, 04:14 AM
Just want to go on record as saying I never trusted that guy from day one.

XTreat
02-21-2013, 04:16 AM
I definitely want some scoop on whether Paulites really worked for him and why. Im seeing some more establishment folks talking about both Rand and Cruz as good 2016 candidates so far.

More than a few Paul people worked on the Cruz campaign. A couple of them worked on the Paul campaign first in Iowa.

itshappening
02-21-2013, 04:38 AM
I still think Rand can finish on top no matter who they run against them

It might be a crowded field though as the establishment become increasingly desperate

Bastiat's The Law
02-21-2013, 05:39 AM
Wasn't he born in Canada?

WarAnonymous
02-21-2013, 05:44 AM

Is this sarcasm? The only reason I ask is because this is what's said about everyone nowadays. Obama is from Kenya, Romney was apparently born in Mexico, Rubio in Cuba and now Cruz in Canada? Hopefully it's true about him and Rubio so they both can't run.

LibertyEagle
02-21-2013, 06:00 AM
I don't know much about Cruz but I do remember that a lot of TX Paulites worked for his campaign as part of a Tea Party coalition. Or at least it was claimed that they did. Any TX people know the real scoop on that?

Yup, they did.

LibertyEagle
02-21-2013, 06:00 AM

Indeed he was. So unless they change the Constitution, or we totally lose any sense of national sovereignty, Ted Cruz isn't going to be President of the United States.

libertyjam
02-21-2013, 06:16 AM
A bunch of hot air from the rags needing to boost readership with made up rumors where there is none.

Pisces
02-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Indeed he was. So unless they change the Constitution, or we totally lose any sense of national sovereignty, Ted Cruz isn't going to be President of the United States.

His mother is an American citizen though. He has one citizen parent and she and his father were just temporarily in Canada (for work). That may be enough to be considered a natural born citizen. I don't think he will run in 2016 if Rand runs. He has a big ego but he's definitely not stupid. He knows Rand already has a lot of organization built up already and I don't think he wants to be another Bachmann or Santorum. He's only 42 so I think he will wait until the timing is better if he runs at all. (I think he will in 2020 if the GOP doesn't win in 2016.)

I don't think TPTB would consider him a reliable substitute for Rubio. He's pro-Israel but he's not a globalist. He's come out strongly for national sovereignty and against the UN and Agenda 21. He's also an immigration hawk and the Bushes would never accept that. They would probably love for him to run and take votes from Rand, but I think he likes himself too much to be a loser just to please the establishment.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Cruz was born in Canada. He can't run for President.

Cruz was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where his parents, Eleanor Darragh and Rafael Cruz, were working in the oil business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cruz#Early_life_and_education

The Gold Standard
02-21-2013, 08:41 AM

Ron and Rand endorsed him. Why I have no idea. The Paulites worked for him after that, blindly believing the guy really gives a fuck about liberty.

AuH20
02-21-2013, 08:50 AM
This Cruz bashing is out of control. Let the man situate himself first! Jesus Christ!!

Matthew5
02-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Not a comment on his character or anything, but I think the GOP would have a mess on their hands with his Canadian birth. They almost ran into it with McCain, this one is alittle more obvious though. I honestly don't think he's eligible unless they cite the 14th amendment.

AuH20
02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Ron and Rand endorsed him. Why I have no idea. The Paulites worked for him after that, blindly believing the guy really gives a fuck about liberty.

Most of his positions do. He's not perfect. He's not Paul obviously.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Not a comment on his character or anything, but I think the GOP would have a mess on their hands with his Canadian birth. They almost ran into it with McCain, this one is alittle more obvious though. I honestly don't think he's eligible unless they cite the 14th amendment.

McCain was entirely different, because the U.S. Congress put forth a bill (http://jonathanturley.org/2008/03/01/legislation-introduced-to-remove-mccains-panama-problem-in-seeking-presidency/) that "would declare that any child born abroad to citizens serving in the United States military to be natural born citizens for the purposes of the Constitution."

Cruz wasn't born on a military base, nor were his parents serving in the U.S. military. Cruz is unequivocally ineligible to be President under our Constitution as it stands right now.

CaptUSA
02-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Cruz is not running for President. This is total BS. Don't buy into it.

However, he is raising his profile in order to be part of the conversation. In my opinion, this can only help us if we are able to obtain his endorsement. Think big picture, people. If we expect everyone that helps us to agree with us 100%, we ain't gonna get nowhere. Let Cruz do his thing and you do yours. The chessboard is being set nicely so far.

Matthew5
02-21-2013, 09:25 AM
McCain was entirely different, because the U.S. Congress put forth a bill (http://jonathanturley.org/2008/03/01/legislation-introduced-to-remove-mccains-panama-problem-in-seeking-presidency/) that "would declare that any child born abroad to citizens serving in the United States military to be natural born citizens for the purposes of the Constitution."

Cruz wasn't born on a military base, nor were his parents serving in the U.S. military. Cruz is unequivocally ineligible to be President under our Constitution as it stands right now.

A bill was put forth, but did it pass? My point was that it was an unresolved issue at the time and could have been a disaster if McCain had been elected before the bill passed. This would be even more difficult with Cruz because only one parent was a U.S. citizen and he spent the first four years of his life in a foreign country.

angelatc
02-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Cruz lost me with his Hagel testimony. Like Hagel or not, Cruz lied and distorted just to put on a show.

Rand is from Kentucky. That's right next door to Ohio. I think Rand fever will spread into the Buckeye state like Kudzu through Tenesee.

cajuncocoa
02-21-2013, 09:35 AM
This Cruz bashing is out of control. Let the man situate himself first! Jesus Christ!!

Exactly! Who knows? Maybe he only sounds like a warmonger because he's saying what he has to say! :rolleyes:

Shane Harris
02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Just want to go on record as saying I never trusted that guy from day one.

same

Brett85
02-21-2013, 10:44 AM

He's really good on everything except foreign policy issues, and even on that he's not a full blown neo-conservative like Rubio. He's probably similar to someone like Barry Goldwater on foreign policy issues: hawkish, but doesn't believe in prolonged conflicts.

compromise
02-21-2013, 10:53 AM
He's really good on everything except foreign policy issues, and even on that he's not a full blown neo-conservative like Rubio. He's probably similar to someone like Barry Goldwater on foreign policy issues: hawkish, but doesn't believe in prolonged conflicts.

Cruz is good on foreign aid. He opposes humanitarian interventions, such as the one in Libya.

Pericles
02-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Maybe he should just try being a senator first.
Agree

Pericles
02-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Yup, they did.

Someone who is 90% good and can win a general election is going to do us much more good than someone 97% good that will get 27,000 votes in a Texas primary.

QuickZ06
02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Cruz is good on foreign aid. He opposes humanitarian interventions, such as the one in Libya.

TED CRUZ “There are radicals throughout the world — Islamic terrorists that would murder each and every one of us and it says something that we have a president of the United States that is utterly unable to utter the words radical Islamic terrorist”.

Yeah with comments likes these whats not to like about the guy regarding foreign policy :rolleyes:

fr33
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
He sounds like he gets his rhetoric straight from Rush Limbaugh.

LibertyEagle
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah with comments likes these whats not to like about the guy regarding foreign policy :rolleyes:

You sure are painting with a wide brush there, don't you think? Perhaps you should look a bit deeper and not judge him by one sentence. I remember how we were so very frustrated by those who did that with Ron Paul. Don't you?

Cruz is far from perfect, but I don't think he is our enemy, either.

Brian4Liberty
02-21-2013, 01:00 PM
The minute Rubio had his gaff with his State of the Union rebuttal, the establishment started to mention Cruz. It's a trial balloon at this point. They need someone who can appeal to us, and to the teo-cons. They like Rand's strategy, now they want to substitute someone into that spot who they trust more on foreign policy. They will play Rubio and Cruz against Rand, don't doubt that for a second. Will Cruz stay more on our side, or will he go to the dark side and get in bed with Kristol?

LibertyEagle
02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
"We" are still not big enough of a movement to bother anyone. Especially when that "we" does everything they can to drive away paleocons and others who do not chant "Rothbard" in their dreams.

compromise
02-21-2013, 01:18 PM

Rand was rhetorically very tough on Islamic extremists in his early days in the Senate too and to some extent, continues to be. A lot of it is just for show and to fire up the conservative base, Rand turned out to be the best Senator on foreign policy.

Some Rand quotes:
"Foreign terrorists do not deserve the protections of our Constitution. These thugs should stand before military tribunals and be kept off American soil. I will always fight to keep Kentucky safe and that starts with cracking down on our enemies."

"I want to know where the Middle Eastern students are that are here visiting our country. Are they in class, are they going to class, if they get on a plane. If you've been to Yemen twice in the last six months, I want to know who you are and know more about your travel."

"Instead of putting hard-working West Virginians first, you voted to send billions of taxpayer dollars to nations where they shout ‘death to America,’ kill our Ambassador and allow radical Islamists to burn our embassies."

"But McCain’s call for a hundred year occupation does capture some truth: that the West is in for a long, irregular confrontation not with terrorism, which is simply a tactic, but with Radical Islam."

"It hasn’t been a month ago that President Morsi was at a prayer meeting with a radical Sheik."

"For Americans to grasp the mindset of Radical Islam we need to understand that they are still hopping mad about the massacre at Karbala several hundred years ago."

"Radical Islam is no fleeting fad but a relentless force."

"As many are quick to note, the war is not with Islam but with a radical element of Islam – the problem is that this element is no small minority but a vibrant, often mainstream, vocal and numerous minority."

Your Cruz quote is quite similar to some of the things Rand has said. Just like Rand, Cruz is making statements that may well be true. It does not really talk about any specific policy that he supports or opposes.

QuickZ06
02-21-2013, 02:22 PM
You sure are painting with a wide brush there, don't you think? Perhaps you should look a bit deeper and not judge him by one sentence. I remember how we were so very frustrated by those who did that with Ron Paul. Don't you?

Cruz is far from perfect, but I don't think he is our enemy, either.

Like fr33 said, its sounds like something from Rush. I don't like talk like that at all.

What I know about him already scares me, need to get a real good idea of this guy from his first term to even think about him running for presidency.

But if you read my initial post you would see I am giving him the benefit of the doubt till his first term is up or unless he does something really stupid that just sends signals that he is not for liberty.

sailingaway
02-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Like fr33 said, its sounds like something from Rush. I don't like talk like that at all.

But if you read my initial post you would see I am giving him the benefit of the doubt till his first term is up or unless he does something really stupid that just sends signals that he is not for liberty.

I never considered him one of us, I think of him like the 'other side' of the tea party, and I think he made some committments to Ron on the Fed and NDAA (which he lived up to) and Ron finally endorsed him at the end, also I suspect at Rand's request. (His statement on it that I recall was about how Rand needed him to work with in the Senate.) Rand had endorsed him much earlier, closer to when De Mint did, as I recall. But he was far better than the alternative with some actual good points, on ndaa etc, as I viewed it then. It isn't like everyone who isn't us is exactly the same distance away from us on all points. We can make coalitions across the spectrum, on various issues.

But for president? I'd rather De Mint, whose character I trust ( on the 'I think he'll stick to what he believes is right' point, even if it isn't what I always think is right), if we had to go in that direction. And I don't want that. But it might be better than an absolute shill, which is what we are given lately.

Bastiat's The Law
02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
People in this movement continually eat their own.

http://www.masterpiecepumpkins.com/Graphics/TheyEatTheirOwn%20(3)_____.jpg

Bastiat's The Law
02-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Someone who is 90% good and can win a general election is going to do us much more good than someone 97% good that will get 27,000 votes in a Texas primary.
True. A little pragmatism and having a big tent would go a long way. Cruz was a check on Dewhurst. One of those two were going to be the next Senator from Texas so let's deal with reality instead of unrealistic utopian candidates that don't exist.

LibertyEagle
02-21-2013, 06:13 PM
True. A little pragmatism and having a big tent would go a long way. Cruz was a check on Dewhurst. One of those two were going to be the next Senator from Texas so let's deal with reality instead of unrealistic utopian candidates that don't exist.

Agreed.

Marky
02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
People in this movement continually eat their own.

http://www.masterpiecepumpkins.com/Graphics/TheyEatTheirOwn%20(3)_____.jpg

How in the hell is Cruz considered one of our own?

TokenLibertarianGuy
02-21-2013, 07:29 PM

Not quite. The Panama Canal Zone was an unincorporated US territory, meaning the Constitution did not apply in full (like in Puerto Rico). Those born to two American parents became US nationals at birth until 1934 when Congress passed a law granting those born to at least one US citizen within the territory 'natural born' citizenship at birth. That's why McCain was eligible.

This law only applied to the Canal Zone, not military bases which are not US territories.

itshappening
02-21-2013, 08:13 PM
The minute Rubio had his gaff with his State of the Union rebuttal, the establishment started to mention Cruz. It's a trial balloon at this point. They need someone who can appeal to us, and to the teo-cons. They like Rand's strategy, now they want to substitute someone into that spot who they trust more on foreign policy. They will play Rubio and Cruz against Rand, don't doubt that for a second. Will Cruz stay more on our side, or will he go to the dark side and get in bed with Kristol?

This is a good point. They're scared stiff of Rand so they will cast around for someone that *sounds* like him to steal votes, maybe Cruz maybe some governor and they will get him to rail against the Fed. I remember Rubio mentioned monetary policy. That was a lame attempt to co-opt the message and sound like Rand to dilute support for the real thing. Look for more of it.

itshappening
02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
The problem for the establishment in order to squeeze Rand they probably have to run Santorum in Iowa (their favorite social conservative) along with Rubio and some others to try and dilute conservative support. Then they will run Christie or even Romney to dilute him in New Hampshire as the other two might not appeal there whereas Rand appeals in both and would in my opinion be a strong contender in both only needing 15% more support on top of Ron's 20% to win in either state.

So their strategy will be to send in Christie or some other "moderate" to NH and a social conservative or supposed conservatives into Iowa to try and stop Rand. I think it will fail because each of these candidates have their own flaws. I do think both Rubio and Cruz are a bit young and green to be thinking of the presidency and will be exposed as such although I do think Cruz the Harvard debater is a lot more polished.

itshappening
02-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Maybe they will run Ayotte as the stalking horse in NH, she's pretty close to McCain and Graham and while she would have no chance anywhere else maybe her supporters will come out and support her at home like they did Romney. There's always a sizable chunk of support in NH for the "home town" candidate (Romney had a house there and was governor of a neighboring state)

devil21
02-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Agreed.

Just be careful not to become the "lesser of two evils" voters that we hate so much. Im all for building coalitions and working with people who I don't agree with 100%. That's politics.