PDA

View Full Version : Ted Cruz: Criticism of Rubio "motivated by race"

compromise
02-20-2013, 05:48 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/284001-ted-cruz-marco-rubio-backlash-motivated-by-race

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) believes that recent criticisms of his colleague Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) are motivated by race, according to a report Tuesday in the Dallas Morning News.

“I think Democrats and the media are afraid of Marco Rubio because he is a smart, intelligent, conservative Hispanic. And they are looking for any excuse they can to attack him, because that threatens them,” Cruz told reporters while touring a gun manufacturing plant in Texas.

The freshman Texas senator went on to accuse Democrats of overplaying the now-infamous incident where Rubio awkwardly grabbed for a bottle of water during his rebuttal to the president's State of the Union speech.

“Look, he took a drink of water in a speech. And it dominated the news for days with one network saying it was a career ender," Cruz said.

Cruz hinted that there could be racial motivations behind the criticism, saying the backlash was fueled by more than Rubio's "promising" political outlook.

"I think the Democrats view Marco Rubio as a particular threat because of his background, his life story. I think it they believe it is in their interest to inflict as much damage as possible and blow things wildly out of proportion," Cruz said.

Rubio, the child of Cuban American immigrants, has been heralded by many in the GOP as someone who could improve the party's image with Hispanic voters, after they broke overwhelmingly for President Obama in the 2012 election. A Time magazine cover story earlier this month depicted Rubio as "The Republican Savior" and called him the "great Hispanic hope of the Republican Party."

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/284001-ted-cruz-marco-rubio-backlash-motivated-by-race#ixzz2LUCLGL00
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

I think to some extent he's right, but a lot of the Rubio criticisms are legitimate. Rubio was nervous, his speech lacked substance and the water gaffe made him look unprofessional. Also, a lot of people disagree with Rubio's immigration and foreign policies.

I hope this doesn't mean Cruz endorsing Rubio for president in 2016 over Paul for racial reasons. Paul campaigned for Cruz, Rubio didn't even endorse Cruz in 2012.

thoughtomator
02-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Perhaps some of the criticism is race-based, but virtually all of the promotion of Rubio is race-based.

mad cow
02-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Disappointed in Cruz for playing the race card.

acptulsa
02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Disappointed in Cruz for playing the race card.

Well, why do you think the Republican powers that be are pushing him? They got tired of all the valid criticism of Obama being written off the same way, so like leeches everywhere they didn't address whether or not this race baiting was good for America politically but instead said, 'How can we get this advantage for ourselves?'

Occam's Banana
02-20-2013, 06:27 PM
This is a perfect example of why I have no use for Ted Cruz. Forget about the race-card bullshit - that's all just window dressing.

Go back and re-read what he said ... was any of it really worth saying? It's all nothing more than posturing and "Democrats! Rawr rawr rawr!!"

It's the hallmark of Red Team vs. Blue Team boosterism. Ron Paul didn't spout this kind of crap. Rand and Amash and Massie don't spout it, either.

Brian4Liberty
02-20-2013, 06:45 PM
I'll have to disagree with Cruz on this. It was a moment like Rick Perry forgetting which three Departments he wanted to cut. There was nothing racist about it. It wasn't just the Democrats. The right wing pundits on CNN (Newt) and Fox damn near had heart attacks over it when it happened. Sure, maybe in the following days it became more about Dem/Rep spin, but the immediate reaction was the same from both sides, and it isn't racial.

Just a while ago CNN did a long segment about Cruz. He is the replacement for Rubio in the minds of the media, there's no doubt about that.

FrankRep
02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
I guess the question is: What points are the Democrats attacking Marco Rubio on?

Brian4Liberty
02-20-2013, 07:00 PM
I guess the question is: What points are the Democrats attacking Marco Rubio on?

Being nervous and thirsty. It's the only thing they disagree with him on.

William R
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Both Rubio and Cruz are White Guys. There are blond blue eyed Latinos.

anaconda
02-20-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm glad I didn't give a dime to Cruz during his campaign.

Patrick Henry
02-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Yep
Perhaps some of the criticism is race-based, but virtually all of the promotion of Rubio is race-based.

Giuliani was there on 911
02-20-2013, 08:31 PM
lol rubio and cruz are both white

alucard13mmfmj
02-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Both Rubio and Cruz are White Guys. There are blond blue eyed Latinos.

They are probably of direct Spaniard descent.

GOP cant even play the race card right. gg.

MelissaWV
02-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Most criticism is motivated by ignorance these days...

...including Cruz's.

Pretty sad stuff.

itshappening
02-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Rubio was giving the official GOP response in front of 30m+ people and screwed it up by looking nervous and then taking water.

Thus he proved himself to be too young and green for prime time. Bear in mind he's only 40?

Obama spoke for an hour longer than him and didn't take any water. A proper pro wouldn't look nervous like he did.

UMULAS
02-20-2013, 09:00 PM

fr33
02-20-2013, 09:27 PM

This.