PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul: Voters ready for Libertarian Republican in 2016

NY-Dano
02-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Sen. Rand Paul says he'll wait until 2014 to decide whether to run for president, but he believes voters are ready for a Libertarian-minded Republican candidate.

"I would absolutely not run unless it were to win," the Kentucky Republican said on "Fox News Sunday." "Points have been made, and we we will continue to make points. But I think the country is really ready for the narrative coming -- the Libertarian Republican narrative."

Voters want a "different face," he said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-live/2013/02/paul-voters-ready-for-libertarian-republican-in-157214.html

Get on those comments!

SpreadOfLiberty
02-17-2013, 10:29 AM
I hate it when they capitalize libertarian.

satchelmcqueen
02-17-2013, 12:00 PM
the comments are horrible. bunch of dumbasses.

NY-Dano
02-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Brett85
02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure if it's a good idea for Rand to actually be calling himself a "libertarian." Didn't he call himself a Constitutional Conservative when he was running for the Senate because he knew the term "libertarian" is unpopular? It seems like he should just stick to the "Constitutional Conservative" label to me.

FSP-Rebel
02-17-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure if it's a good idea for Rand to actually be calling himself a "libertarian." Didn't he call himself a Constitutional Conservative when he was running for the Senate because he knew the term "libertarian" is unpopular? It seems like he should just stick to the "Constitutional Conservative" label to me.
He's done enough and got his name out enough to redefine himself as what he really is, tho both terminology essentially means the same. Probably his attempt at being the libertarian option going into the race and making it clear to those of his dad's supporters that have had issues with him.

Confederate
02-17-2013, 03:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHH2rSZvLPA

July
02-17-2013, 03:19 PM

The media still calls him that from time to time, though. So I think, he can either use it himself, or let the media run wild with it by themselves...

Confederate
02-17-2013, 03:29 PM

I agree. He should stay clear of the libertarian label. Stick to Constitutionalist and Conservative.

compromise
02-17-2013, 03:31 PM
"Constitutional conservative" for the primaries, "libertarian" for the general election.

Brett85
02-17-2013, 03:32 PM
I agree. He should stay clear of the libertarian label. Stick to Constitutionalist and Conservative.

Yeah, except I guess it helps that Glenn Beck is now calling himself a "libertarian." Maybe that term is starting to become more popular in the Republican Party.

Brett85
02-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Here's one interesting comment. It kind of affirms that recent PPP Iowa poll that has Rand winning among moderate voters.

"I am definitely a moderate Republican and Paul is more appealing than Chris Christie or Jeb Bush."

cajuncocoa
02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Yeah, except I guess it helps that Glenn Beck is now calling himself a "libertarian." Maybe that term is starting to become more popular in the Republican Party.
There are those who are trying to hijack its meaning is all. Glenn Beck is one of those.

mz10
02-17-2013, 04:07 PM
There are those who are trying to hijack its meaning is all. Glenn Beck is one of those.

Actually I think he's just trying to get a job

Mr.NoSmile
02-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I think if there's a wave of Republican interest and victories come the midterm elections, that will be a good sign that he should run....though, by the same token, some believed that the Republican victories in 2010 would lead to a presidential victory in 2012 and that didn't happen.

Krzysztof Lesiak
02-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Rand Paul 2016.

seraphson
02-17-2013, 04:52 PM

I love the constant usage of the adjective "nutty". Relative to what? Oh, let me guess, going head first into undeclared wars (Syria, Libya, Iraq, etc.), bailing out Bear Stearns, Citi Group, AIG, Fannie & Freddie, Merril Lynch, Lehman Brothers, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Europe, Solyndra for billions upon billions, having a single private (recall that The Fed was able to win against the freedom of information act inquiry) centralized, monopolized bank control Interest rates and money supply, having a clearly failing socialized school system despite having increased spending year after year and virtually little to no change in its methodology (other than spending more and more for equal or lesser performance), having trillions of dollars in unfunded liabilities in regards to Social Security and Medicare/caid with their respective "supporting numbers" (ratio of payers to collectors, state of economy/shrinking tax base etc.) having a grim outlook, and having a stupid three decade old "war on drugs", is considered without a hint of doubt "Sane" or "Not Nutty" yet these are ALL the points people like Rand or Ron having and do bring up. I really question the Idiocracy that would describe any single one of these talking points as "nutty". Only a damn fool would.

supermario21
02-17-2013, 04:57 PM
It's because the moderate consensus has been to make this country a lot worse. Some of our worst initiatives have been bipartisan. The Iraq war vote was passed with big majorities, same with Medicare Part D, TARP, etc. People are going to realize that it's going to take Rand Paul-Ron Wyden bipartisanship to correct the course on civil liberties and probably Democrats like Joe Donnelly on tax cuts working with Republicans on fiscal issues.

CaptLouAlbano
02-18-2013, 03:50 PM

It is. The pot-smoking, prostitution loving hippy label is dying off. Ron, Rand and yes even Beck are owed some credit for that. Keep in mind that for a lot of folks their only exposure to a libertarian was when some guy in a tie-dye shit and a pony tail ran for Mayor in their hometown 15 years ago.

Pericles
02-18-2013, 03:55 PM
2016? - I hope we have that long.