PDA

View Full Version : Jeb Bush: I would be like LBJ as president

itshappening
02-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush said he would strive to be like Lyndon Johnson, the Democrat famous for expanding the U.S. welfare state through the "Great Society," if he were elected president.

According to the Miami Herald, Bush made those comments Wednesday night in San Antonio, Florida at Saint Leo University, while speaking about education, immigration, and energy policy.

Bush did not address Johnson's Great Society and War on Poverty programs, about which Ronald Reagan once famously quipped, "We had a war on poverty, and poverty won."

Instead, he was referencing Johnson's mastery of the so-called sausage-making process in Congress.

He vowed to approach the presidency as "master of the Senate," as biographer Robert Caro described Johnson.

“He went and he cajoled, he begged, he threatened, he loved, he hugged, he did what leaders do, which is they personally get engaged to make something happen,’’ Bush said of Johnson. Bush cited Caro's latest book about Johnson, The Passage of Power, which covers the first part of Johnson's presidency.

The wheeling and dealing Johnson loved and relished is what will be needed to pass bills such as immigration regulations. That process is also how government gets expanded and cronyism thrives, as Peter Schweizer's nonpartisan Government Accountability Institute and directer Stephen K. Bannon documented in "Boomtown."

Bush, who has a book on comprehensive immigration reform due out next month, said it was "un-American" to have illegal immigrants living in fear of exposure.

“To me — and I’m here at this great Catholic institution and this is what my church teaches me — it is completely un-American to require people living in the shadows," he declared.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/02/15/Jeb-Bush-I-d-Strive-to-Be-Like-Lyndon-Johnson-if-Elected-President

COpatriot
02-15-2013, 11:05 PM
That's.......terrifying.

parocks
02-15-2013, 11:11 PM
LBJ was awful

AuH20
02-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Say what???????????????? LBJ??????????????????

heavenlyboy34
02-15-2013, 11:19 PM
So the fascist republicans admire teh fascist dems? Surprise! /sarc

Indy Vidual
02-15-2013, 11:21 PM
So he is going to replace Biden as VP and have Obama killed? :confused:

Smart3
02-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Jeb Bush: You thought my brother was bad? You ain't seen nothing yet!

ps: don't pick Jeb as VP candidate.

green73
02-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Somehow Drudge will ignore this...

itshappening
02-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Jeb Bush, CPAC star.

Education! We need education reform!

Err, but didn't your brother pass No Child Left Behind which has been an utter failure?

oyarde
02-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Yeah , welL that is real comforting, considering LBJ, Nixon & Obummer have done the most permanent damage to he nation since Wilson.....wtf??

oyarde
02-16-2013, 12:20 AM
May as well just announce yourself as head thief for Satan....

ronpaulfollower999
02-16-2013, 12:27 AM
Context, guys.

He vowed to approach the presidency as "master of the Senate," as biographer Robert Caro described Johnson.

“He went and he cajoled, he begged, he threatened, he loved, he hugged, he did what leaders do, which is they personally get engaged to make something happen,’’ Bush said of Johnson. Bush cited Caro's latest book about Johnson, The Passage of Power, which covers the first part of Johnson's presidency.

Occam's Banana
02-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Context, guys.

How is anything anyone has said in this thread to this point "out of context"?

To the contrary - everything said so far seems to be exactly on the mark.

Johnson was the epitome of everything that is vile & despicable about politics.

Those who wish to adorate & emulate him (such as Jeb Bush) deserve to be soundly pilloried.

[Jeb Bush] vowed to approach the presidency as "master of the Senate," as biographer Robert Caro described Johnson.

The President isn't supposed to be "master of the Senate". He's supposed to be chief executive (not chief legislator) ...

[LBJ] went and he cajoled, he begged, he threatened, he loved, he hugged, he did what leaders do, which is they personally get engaged to make something happen.

IOW: Bush thinks the job of the president is to be a "leader" (read: smarmy, mealy-mouthed, back-slapping, deal-making, glad-handing good ol' boy who can "git 'er done") - just like Johnson was.

Why should we think this is not deserving of the sort of condemnation & criticism this thread has produced so far?

tangent4ronpaul
02-16-2013, 12:57 AM
ICK!

-t

kathy88
02-16-2013, 06:42 AM
So he is going to replace Biden as VP and have Obama killed? :confused:
Thread winner.

MisfitToy
02-16-2013, 07:46 AM
The problem is obviously in the bloodline.

Bruno
02-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Career ender? Or does that require a bottle of water?

itshappening
02-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Career ender? Or does that require a bottle of water?

It's a fascinating insight into the establishment Republican's mind. Rubio was a protege' of Jeb Bush and he's always going on about education reform without reminding us that his brother signed No Child Left Behind which has been an utter failure.

paulbot24
02-16-2013, 09:13 AM
The problem is obviously in the bloodline.

This should make people wonder why, out of all the Americans involved in politics, we still have to deal with certain bloodlines. The possibility of yet another Bush as POTUS should make people ask, "Is it really our choice when the primary candidates are decided from the same bloodlines and marriages?" Sounds eerily like another form of government we fought to rid ourselves from.

acptulsa
02-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Yeah, Jeb Bush wants to be another LBJ, but the nation is going to have to recover from the last set of LBJs before it can hope to afford another one--and that could take years. This is just Jeb jacking off. It's impossible.

And I don't think it has to do with backslapping and backstabbing, or with wars on this or that aspect of American life at all. I think Jeb is saying he wants to declare the whole world to be Vietnam and attack it, myself...

No Free Beer
02-16-2013, 09:57 AM
he just cost himself the nomination.

LOL

Next...?

itshappening
02-16-2013, 10:18 AM

LOL

Next...?

They're dropping like flies lately. Looks like it's Rand's to lose IMHO

paulbot24
02-16-2013, 10:34 AM
“I’ll have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years.”
- Lyndon B. Johnson

Yeah, he was a classy guy. Imagine his newsletters!:eek:

Henry Rogue
02-16-2013, 10:39 AM

LOL

Next...?
Neocons are ok with the lbj comparison as long as he is willing to send troops abroad. He could still end up as primary winner if that's what the neocons want.

No Free Beer
02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
They're dropping like flies lately. Looks like it's Rand's to lose IMHO

they will still push rubio, who has never had a private sector job, and Jindal.

watch out for jindal.

No Free Beer
02-16-2013, 11:37 AM
“I’ll have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years.”
- Lyndon B. Johnson

Yeah, he was a classy guy. Imagine his newsletters!:eek:

not defending the guy, but thats the way southerns spoke back in the day.

heavenlyboy34
02-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Yeah , welL that is real comforting, considering LBJ, Nixon & Obummer have done the most permanent damage to he nation since Wilson.....wtf??
Well, Reagan was pretty bad too...

FSP-Rebel
02-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Sounds like he'd fit in well in the democratic primary debates.

itshappening
02-16-2013, 01:10 PM
they will still push rubio, who has never had a private sector job, and Jindal.

watch out for jindal.

Jindal doesn't bother me, he's even worse than Rubio on the big stage with silly soundbites and terrible delivery.

erowe1
02-16-2013, 01:13 PM
The fact that Jeb is talking about what he would be like as president at all is terrifying.

pacelli
02-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Somehow Drudge will ignore this...

I sent the quote and the link to drudge in news tips. Maybe if 20 of us do the same thing, it'll get put up. Maybe..

itshappening
02-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Drudge is Floridian and Bush lover, he will not post anything negative I bet.