PDA

View Full Version : Minnesotans take 'Earth Train' to D.C. to demand action on climate change

Danke
02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
get me out of here!!!

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/630*420/3Train.JPG

A flash mob-style sendoff was held in the Amtrak depot in St Paul, with musicians, author Louise Erdrich, storyteller Kevin Kling and environmental leaders as 72 Minnesotans board Amtrak's "Earth Train" to Washington, D.C., to join "Forward on Climate," a rally against global warming.

Richard Sennott, Dml - Star Tribune
Minnesotans take 'Earth Train' to D.C. to demand action on climate change

February 15, 2013 - 4:26 PM

About 70 Minnesotans boarded their own Amtrak train car Friday morning, bound for Washington, D.C., where they'll join thousands of others in a Sunday demonstration demanding that President Obama step up efforts to curb climate change, and in particular block the Keystone XL pipeline.

Riders on the "Earth Train" include novelist Louise Erdrich, performer Kevin Kling, musicians Simone Perrin and Prudence Johnson, Rep. Frank Hornstein, DFL-Minneapolis, environmental leaders and others.

Organizers chartered the train car because Amtrak claims it is 17 percent more energy efficient than auto or plane travel.

The train was scheduled to arrive in Chicago Friday afternoon; riders will board another for an overnight ride to Washington.

Petar
02-15-2013, 05:46 PM
I wonder if they will object to eco-friendly FEMA trains.

kathy88
02-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Hope they don't have an engine fire and shit starts running down the walls as they fight each other for onion and cucumber sandwiches.

Petar
02-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Hope they don't have an engine fire and shit starts running down the walls as they fight each other for onion and cucumber sandwiches.

You just gave me a great idea for a story: "Hippy Island". Imagine a bunch of leftist assholes all moving to an island in order to create their own communist paradise. Imagine how much it sucks when nothing goes to plan and everything falls apart. I guess it would be like a cross between Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies.

Question: How the hell did you ever stand fans of the grateful dead being in close proximity to yourself?

kathy88
02-15-2013, 06:22 PM
You just gave me a great idea for a story: "Hippy Island". Imagine a bunch of leftist assholes all moving to an island in order to create their own communist paradise. Imagine how much it sucks when nothing goes to plan and everything falls apart. I guess it would be like a cross between Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies.

Question: How the hell did you ever stand fans of the grateful dead being in close proximity to yourself?

LSD

fr33
02-15-2013, 08:40 PM
In a perfect world, an huge asteroid would hit DC just as they arrived.

bunklocoempire
02-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Organizers chartered the train car because Amtrak claims it is 17 percent more energy efficient than auto or plane travel.

"efficient" lol

Hard to think of losing $1 billion annually as "efficient" even if one only applies "efficient" to energy. How does that even work? :confused:

Is money worth less when Amtrak loses it?

http://www.freakonomics.com/2012/01/05/freakonomics-quorum-can-amtrak-ever-be-profitable/

Amtrak’s ridership and revenue has been steadily increasing over the last 10 years, and 2011 set a new ridership record with 30.2 million passengers, and $1.9 billion in ticket revenue. But, even though it took in $1.42 billion from Congress last year, it still manages to lose $1 billion annually. This is hardly a new development. Amtrak has a long and storied history of functioning at a loss despite government subsidies.

..any purported societal benefits from Amtrak do not match its subsidies, or even come close.

For a billion $'s those 72 rail riders would be more "energy efficient" piloting 72 individual 1973 Olds Delta 88s with 455s than the govtrak fantasy.

Sheesh. :toady:

http://s6.postimage.org/it1bnnwtt/Amtrak_Fuel.gif

Cowlesy
02-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Bless the heart of whatever maintenance man has to clean that car after that trip.

Carson
02-15-2013, 10:00 PM
I can't help but wonder how much counterfeited cash was funneled into this endeavor.

Maybe funneled isn't the right way to describe a system of distributing laundered counterfeit from one source to another to disrupt the trail and trip up any hounds on the trail?????