PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart Executive: "Where are all the customers? And where’s their money?”

Lucille
02-15-2013, 05:24 PM
http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=49265

First it was McDonalds and now it is Wal-Mart. It doesn’t matter whether you love them or hate them, they are the canary in the coal mine. Wal-Mart has revenues larger than the GDP of most countries. They are the retailer of the 90%, just as McDonalds is the restaurant of the 90%. The average person is losing ground rapidly. The payroll tax increase took a chunk out of their monthly disposable income. Filling up their gas tank costs 10% more than it did two months ago. Food prices go up every day through the reduction in quantity in the packages. They think we’re stupid.

The outrage is over an executive actually telling the truth. I’m sure their are emails among the Wall Street banks about their insolvency that would open a few eyes. The powers that be in this country continue to pillage and loot through their control of the financial system, while the little guy sinks deeper and deeper into debt and despair. There will be hell to pay when the shit hits the fan. Meanwhile, just watch the MSM mouthpieces tell you about the great economic recovery as reflected in the all-time stock market highs.

Wal-Mart Executives Sweat Slow February Start in E-Mails (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-15/wal-mart-executives-sweat-slow-february-start-in-e-mails.html)

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. had the worst sales start to a month in seven years as payroll-tax increases hit shoppers already battling a slow economy, according to internal e-mails obtained by Bloomberg News.

“In case you haven’t seen a sales report these days, February MTD sales are a total disaster,” Jerry Murray, Wal- Mart’s vice president of finance and logistics, said in a Feb. 12 e-mail to other executives, referring to month-to-date sales. “The worst start to a month I have seen in my ~7 years with the company.”
[...]
“Have you ever had one of those weeks where your best- prepared plans weren’t good enough to accomplish everything you set out to do?” Geiger asked in a Feb. 1 e-mail to executives. “Well, we just had one of those weeks here at Walmart U.S. Where are all the customers? And where’s their money?”
[...]
Payroll Tax

When a payroll-tax break expired Dec. 31, Americans began paying 2 percentage points more in Social Security taxes on their first $113,700 in wages. For a person making $40,000 a year, that is about $15 a week.

The extra tax bite is about equal to a year of car insurance for a family making $30,000 or a basket of groceries per month for a family making $50,000, according to Wal-Mart’s analysis.

Other retailers who court low-income Americans also are bracing for the rising taxes.

Higher payroll taxes “go against our customers’ wallet,” Family Dollar Chief Executive Officer Howard Levine said on a Jan. 3 conference call. “Clearly, they do not have as much for discretionary purchases than they did.”

jkr
02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
BROKE, THATS WHERE

torchbearer
02-15-2013, 05:54 PM
zippy should be along soon to tell you there is nothing to see here.

BAllen
02-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Dollar stores are taking a bite out of walmart. Walmart ain't the cheapest game in town anymore.

belian78
02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
I work a retail store for a cellular provider, and I've seen a tremendous change from last year already. Where the tax return rush started towards the end of January last year, it's like business as usual half way into February this year.

torchbearer
02-15-2013, 06:11 PM
I work a retail store for a cellular provider, and I've seen a tremendous change from last year already. Where the tax return rush started towards the end of January last year, it's like business as usual half way into February this year.

this year- my witholding were more, and i owed even more still.
apparently i'm the 1%.

sparebulb
02-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Wal Marx has done far more than their share of kicking the American low and middle class in the balls. Americans' balls have long since rotted off and now Walmarx acts surprised when their customers start dying of gang-green and not coming in to buy their chi-com shit?

Mark my words, Walmarx knows what the game plan is and they are not surprised. They have probably positioned themselves to be the exclusive distributor for the new, collectivized economy that has yet to fully emerge.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
02-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Tons of people are hitting flea markets now. I sell at flea markets weekly and the traffic is picking up even in the winter. Stuff is cheaper and there is little overhead and no employees to pay and very little in the way of regulation (only a matter of time until the government changes that). With fuel prices, cost of living increases, etc the people are finding they have to save every penny they can and if that means going to a flea market and buying paper towels for a dollar over buying paper towels at Dollar General for $1.50 than they will do what they have to do to save $0.50.

Keith and stuff
02-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Market Basket, dollar stores and damaged good stores often offer better deals than Walmart where I live. Market Basket consistently outperforms Walmart in low prices. Walmart offers better hours, though. At least it is good for something.

ghengis86
02-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Wal Marx has done far more than their share of kicking the American low and middle class in the balls. Americans' balls have long since rotted off and now Walmarx acts surprised when their customers start dying of gang-green and not coming in to buy their chi-com shit?

Mark my words, Walmarx knows what the game plan is and they are not surprised. They have probably positioned themselves to be the exclusive distributor for the new, collectivized economy that has yet to fully emerge.

They should look at their shelves; everything there is made in China. There is no one left to buy their stuff because they don't have a job. The weak dollar policy of the US has robbed their customers purchasing power too. The high cost of employing workers cuts into their margins, which makes WalMarx push their suppliers to make ever cheaper shit. There's tons of reasons and these idiots can't see the obvious.

ghengis86
02-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Tons of people are hitting flea markets now. I sell at flea markets weekly and the traffic is picking up even in the winter. Stuff is cheaper and there is little overhead and no employees to pay and very little in the way of regulation (only a matter of time until the government changes that). With fuel prices, cost of living increases, etc the people are finding they have to save every penny they can and if that means going to a flea market and buying paper towels for a dollar over buying paper towels at Dollar General for $1.50 than they will do what they have to do to save $0.50.

Flea markets/swap meets are great. Craigslist is another venue I monitor daily and when buying or selling, it seems response times have been getting shorter, stuff sells faster, more people wanting to buy the same thing, more competition, more and more varied items. It's awesome!

Garage sales seem to occur more frequently too.

jay_dub
02-15-2013, 06:33 PM
People in general are worse off...no matter what the data de jour says. For instance, I keep seeing that credit card debt is going down. Good news, right? I don't think so. In my town pawn shops are doing well and payday/title loan places are setting up shop, sometimes right next door to each other, and are doing a thriving business.

What this means to me is that people are maxed out on credit cards and traditional loans and are turning to these lenders of last resort just to make ends meet.

This won't end pretty.

mczerone
02-15-2013, 07:08 PM
First it was McDonalds and now it is Wal-Mart. It doesn’t matter whether you love them or hate them, they are the canary in the coal mine.

This is a bad analogy. McD's and Walmart are the biggest, baddest, Casey-Jones coal-miners. The canaries are the small boutique businesses that already died in 2008. Now Casey Jones isn't dead yet, but he's coughing.

Now these companies don't have huge pension liabilities or union influence, so I don't expect bailouts. But if Walmart gives in and unionizes, they'll be looking for a handout in return. I don't see either one going through bankruptcy before TSHTF. But if either one does file, it might be a good time to ready your economic-collapse bug-out bag.

jdcole
02-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Casey Jones worked on the railroads...

And small boutiques come and go like the tide. When Monstrosities like McD's and Wallyworld are having financial pains due to recent policy, well, it's exactly as the article said - the canary in the coal mine. This is the BIG warning sign that people will notice, much like a dead canary.

devil21
02-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Simmer down and relax folks! Simmer down. Don't you realize what this means? Ben Shalom's plan is working! Everyone has so much money they don't need to shop at discount retailers any more. Green shoots! Happy days are here again!

HOLLYWOOD
02-15-2013, 08:03 PM
WHAAAAAA?

Did Fascist .gov forget to send the EBT funds to JP Morgan Chase WaMu to refill the Welfare nation's cards for WalMarx?

Flea & Farmers Markets have been the gleaming sign of; capitalism, barter-town, mutual repeat business/customers, and the world of CA$H.

Screw that sucking machine of criminals in government stealing the wealth and a slice of pie off the tables of American laborers.

torchbearer
02-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Simmer down and relax folks! Simmer down. Don't you realize what this means? Ben Shalom's plan is working! Everyone has so much money they don't need to shop at discount retailers any more. Green shoots! Happy days are here again!

hadn't thought of that-
everyone is shopping at Saks and Wholefoods now.

oyarde
02-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Here is the deal , Govt is retarded, this was easily predicted , growth , less than 2% , payroll tax increase was 2 % , fuel and heating prices rise, no more wal mart china money for the dirty masses.Math equation solved . Reap it.

Carson
02-16-2013, 12:49 AM
I sort of figure their money was snatched away from them by the counterfeiting of their currency. When they fire up the fake money presses they don't really add anything to our pile of stuff, they just shift the property lines over in their favor.

Remember, no matter how much hard earned money the, "We the People" can come up with to build their world the way they want there are others that can fire up the fake money presses and print up what ever amount it takes to get their way.

Hey! Check it out. They have a comment section.

SpreadOfLiberty
02-16-2013, 01:05 AM
That explains why it seems so empty lately.

paulbot24
02-16-2013, 01:53 AM
In China, that's where you idiots.

Anti Federalist
02-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Schadenfreude, thy name is Anti Federalist.

Carson
02-16-2013, 02:03 AM
They should look at their shelves; everything there is made in China. There is no one left to buy their stuff because they don't have a job. The weak dollar policy of the US has robbed their customers purchasing power too. The high cost of employing workers cuts into their margins, which makes WalMarx push their suppliers to make ever cheaper shit. There's tons of reasons and these idiots can't see the obvious.

Good point.

I wonder how the Chinese Walmart's are doing?

That guy in the story is probably receiving in-your-face emails from his Chinese counterparts as we speak.

BAllen
02-16-2013, 11:08 AM
WHAAAAAA?

Did Fascist .gov forget to send the EBT funds to JP Morgan Chase WaMu to refill the Welfare nation's cards for WalMarx?

Flea & Farmers Markets have been the gleaming sign of; capitalism, barter-town, mutual repeat business/customers, and the world of CA$H.

Screw that sucking machine of criminals in government stealing the wealth and a slice of pie off the tables of American laborers.

Exactly! Let them enjoy their shit sandwich! Shop at Goodswill, Starvation Army, etc. I bought a nice tie for a buck!! 6 roll Bathroom tissue at Dollar Store for a buck. Paper towels for a buck. Fuck the name brands that fucked us out of our jobs!! They want a race for the cheapest product? GIVE it to them, right up the ass!! Fuck you, corporate turds!

Lucille
02-16-2013, 11:19 AM

That's their plan!

The company must focus on process and execution, he said.

“We have to fight against the tougher economic environment to earn a bigger share of a smaller consumer spending pie,” Simon said, according to the minutes.

Live by the consumer, die by the consumer
http://voxday.blogspot.com/2013/02/live-by-consumer-die-by-consumer.html

It sounds as if an awful lot of people just got the harsh wakeup of the Christmas-related credit bills combined with their tax and insurance hikes. The "substitution" effect can only work so long before the consumer can't even afford Wal-Mart. The problem with kicking the credit can instead of addressing the problem is that the can keeps getting bigger every time it is kicked down the road.

Iceland has already shown the way out. Default. The fact that the politicians and bankers so vigorously prefer attempting to inflate their way out demonstrates that they don't give a damn about the economy or the people, and that inflation in a sufficiently orderly manner is not always possible.
[...]
"There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as a result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved."
- Ludwig von Mises

Okie RP fan
02-16-2013, 11:21 AM
I've tried to really limit my shopping at Wal-Mart and other big chain stores.

Nothing wrong with supporting the community through small businesses or other stores than these monstrosities.

AGRP
02-16-2013, 11:26 AM
I hope they dont go bankrupt. Where else will i get my slave made products?

ClydeCoulter
02-16-2013, 11:52 AM
This stuff just drives me up the wall while trying to read. I hate having to re-read sentences in articles that are supposed to be, at least somewhat, professional.

"... I’m sure their are emails among the Wall Street banks about their insolvency... " THERE damnit! (Then, than)(their, they're, there)

Oh, and good conversation about the topic here :D

opal
02-16-2013, 11:59 AM
<---has not ventured in Wallymarx in almost 2 years (did drop a family member at the door and picked her back up after a run in for middle of the night bathroom supply needs)

We used to have a flea market here but it's been gone a long time. Our farmers market had dwindled to about 4 vendors before it got cold - now no one goes at all. I think last year at this time they did have a couple of folks selling things they canned (ball jars) from their own harvests but not this year. I do shop big lots sometimes and one chain store (tractor supply) Most of my buying is at the military base commissary and even that place has gone way downhill in their variety and quality.

oyarde
02-16-2013, 12:17 PM
This stuff just drives me up the wall while trying to read. I hate having to re-read sentences in articles that are supposed to be, at least somewhat, professional.

"... I’m sure their are emails among the Wall Street banks about their insolvency... " THERE damnit! (Then, than)(their, they're, there)

:) Meh , in the past 15,555 posts , I have used the word their , once.

BAllen
02-16-2013, 12:35 PM

That's the result of increased spending and regulations on education.
The one I loathe is 'should of'. Is this what we get for our tax dollars? How can anyone support the level of spending on education with results like this?

MelissaWV
02-16-2013, 12:36 PM

You have to do what to sentences? ;)

ZENemy
02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I do IT for commercial real estate and our first quarter is always the most busy but, the work load right now is more like august (when they are all on vacation) and its even noticeable in our data quotas, we are seeing less than half of the email data this year than 2 years ago.

We have a pretty big mall here, it has anywhere from 5-8 store properties vacant at anytime which was unheard of even during the first crash of 08. If you look around, most stores have 50% off every weekend just about, even high end stores like Banana Republic have to do 40-50% off every single sale just stay open.

The local auto mall's around here have had to rent auxiliary parking lots just to hold 2012 and some of them still have 2011 cars on their lot! I live in the bay area, Ill assume a place like this will start to feel things last since we have the APPEARANCE of a good economy.

My IT team put out an ad to hire a level one helpdesk tech and we got 1200 resumes in 3 days. We had 20 year IT directors applying for helpdesk jobs.

Food portions are literally shrinking. That is very noticeable at chains like Ihop and Chilis.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Tons of people are hitting flea markets now.

Consignment and thrift stores are thriving in N.J., I was just at a few the other weekend and spoke to the owners. They are expanding their businesses, if I wasn't in college I would not hesitate to open up a consignment store and cash for gold on the side. Recession proof!

oyarde
02-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Consignment and thrift stores are thriving in N.J., I was just at a few the other weekend and spoke to the owners. They are expanding their businesses, if I wasn't in college I would not hesitate to open up a consignment store and cash for gold on the side. Recession proof! I would think that would be recession proof.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-16-2013, 01:12 PM
I would think that would be recession proof.

Add Laundry business to that list, that's the third business I seriously considered opening. All three are solid investments, if you get the right location.

Aeroneous
02-16-2013, 01:30 PM
this year- my witholding were more, and i owed even more still.
apparently i'm the 1%.

You're not alone. I've always claimed zero, and for 2013 I'm having to withhold nearly $200 extra per paycheck just to break even at the end of the year.

We're not the 1%, because if we were our candidates would all be getting elected.

matt0611
02-16-2013, 02:20 PM
I went to Wal-mart a few times in the past month or so and it did seem REALLY slow and almost empty, thought it was just my imagination.

DamianTV
02-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Wal Marx ...

+Rep for that phrase right there!

kathy88
02-16-2013, 04:06 PM
On Tuesdays I have a couple hours to kill while my daughter dances. Sometimes I go to the mall nearby and walk around or take my son to the arcade. I went last Tuesday for the first time since before Christmas and there were 14 empty shops.

Badger Paul
02-16-2013, 04:19 PM
"Dollar stores are taking a bite out of walmart. Walmart ain't the cheapest game in town anymore. "

Agreed and not only that but many are located in communities even smaller than the ones Wal-Mart locates their stores in. So a person doesn't have to fill up the tank with expensive gas to go to Wal-mart.

garyallen59
02-16-2013, 10:04 PM
well, i'll tell ya wal-mart ain't having any trouble in East TN. Can't get around in that God-forsaken place. sheesh.

oyarde
02-16-2013, 10:08 PM
On Tuesdays I have a couple hours to kill while my daughter dances. Sometimes I go to the mall nearby and walk around or take my son to the arcade. I went last Tuesday for the first time since before Christmas and there were 14 empty shops.

I read in the local paper recently , national average on empty mall store fronts running around 10 % , closet one to me is being foreclosed on , they are double the avg.

anaconda
02-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Costco seem to be doing quite well at their many locations here in the S.F. Bay Area. Costco has great prices but quality merchandise that is not necessarily cheap. Yet, this remains a relatively affluent region, for the time being. Their liberal merchandise return policy seems to be a big lure, too.

Kregisen
02-16-2013, 10:53 PM
I think some of you are exaggerating how "bad" the sales are for Wal-mart....just because they're a little slower than in the past, does not mean they are doing poorly, or the economy isn't starting to improve. Remember, Wal-mart is one of the most efficient retailers, and by far the biggest, so with economies of scale they are able to beat almost all competitors on pricing. When recessions hit, places like wal-mart do better relative to smaller grocery stores, and electronics places like Best buy. (so obviously, the inverse is true...the economy gets better, and low-cost pricing leaders do not do as well relative to other stores)

There are many variables as to why Wal-mart is not doing as well as they were hoping....how about Amazon.com for example. They are growing MASSIVELY - 20-40% growth EVERY year. They are taking bites out of Target and Wal-mart, and are almost bankrupting Best Buy.

But yes, obviously the payroll tax will lower purchases on non-food/required purchases like electronics.

angelatc
02-16-2013, 11:05 PM
I think some of you are exaggerating how "bad" the sales are for Wal-mart....just because they're a little slower than in the past, does not mean they are doing poorly, or the economy isn't starting to improve. Remember, Wal-mart is one of the most efficient retailers, and by far the biggest, so with economies of scale they are able to beat almost all competitors on pricing. When recessions hit, places like wal-mart do better relative to smaller grocery stores, and electronics places like Best buy. (so obviously, the inverse is true...the economy gets better, and low-cost pricing leaders do not do as well relative to other stores)

There are many variables as to why Wal-mart is not doing as well as they were hoping....how about Amazon.com for example. They are growing MASSIVELY - 20-40% growth EVERY year. They are taking bites out of Target and Wal-mart, and are almost bankrupting Best Buy.

But yes, obviously the payroll tax will lower purchases on non-food/required purchases like electronics.

I don't think the point of the article was necessarily how bad WalMart is doing - it was that the whole retail sector is not experiencing the comeback that the media keeps telling us that we're experiencing.

ghengis86

Wal-Marx itself says that if they're doing poorly, their competitors are probablyy doing much worse. As someone posted earlier, Wal-Marx is and also is not the canary in the coal mine; if they're doing poorly, every one else is doing as bad or worse, but because of their massive size, cash balance, margins and lean business model, they can suffer more pain before folding up than a mom and pop.

Finally, I don't know if you're aware or not, but in retail a 14% drop is a bloodbath YoY. That's a pretty clear signal that you're business model sucks (for WM, not really) or your customers are broke (more likely). That's a bad sign for retail.

Danke
Costco seem to be doing quite well at their many locations here in the S.F. Bay Area. Costco has great prices but quality merchandise that is not necessarily cheap. Yet, this remains a relatively affluent region, for the time being. Their liberal merchandise return policy seems to be a big lure, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zNsUTWsOc

MelissaWV
02-17-2013, 09:59 AM
The new WalMart in my area is doing very well, and is huge and much easier to get around (though I still don't like it; only went there to purchase pinata filler stuff... long story). The quiet part of the new WalMart is that they closed the older, smaller one with very little fanfare. That is now going to be a big vacant eyesore. Most of the traditional anchor stores at malls are doing poorly in my area. They are in a freefall panic and can't decide how they want to fix it. One example? Sears sells almost no tools here, no electronics, etc.; that area's almost always empty. Strangely, though, the Sears here sells pretty clothing at a good price. That is not going to save their store.

"Town Center" type setups that mix big box stores with local favorites are doing well.

2young2vote
02-17-2013, 11:44 AM
A small dip in sales, to one of the largest companies on the planet, is a big deal. Especially considering that they pretty much ate up the increase in costs last year rather than pushing it on the consumer. They did increase prices, but that increase almost perfectly grew with their cost of goods.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/wmt/financials

As you can see their net income hardly grew at all between year 2011 and 2012. Only by a few hundred million. However, they also had a huge increase in sales and a huge increase in cost of goods sold that essentially equaled out.

2013 could be interesting for retail companies. I know I personally only shop at Walmart and amazon. I can't stand going into another store and paying 2-3 times as much for the same exact products.

oyarde
02-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Our Sears does not even sell clothing anymore.

oyarde
02-17-2013, 12:03 PM
I used to buy my running shoes there , only place n America that I knew of where I could actually try a pr on , and buy an American made pair on sale for ess than $60.

MelissaWV
02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
I used to buy my running shoes there , only place n America that I knew of where I could actually try a pr on , and buy an American made pair on sale for ess than $60.

I go to Rack Room Shoes for New Balance, but when I lived near an actual New Balance store I went there. The stores still will measure your feet and talk about the shape of your foot as it relates to the shape of the shoes, not to mention pressure points or other concerns. They also carry ladies' shoes in wide widths.

CaptainAmerica
02-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Tons of people are hitting flea markets now. I sell at flea markets weekly and the traffic is picking up even in the winter. Stuff is cheaper and there is little overhead and no employees to pay and very little in the way of regulation (only a matter of time until the government changes that). With fuel prices, cost of living increases, etc the people are finding they have to save every penny they can and if that means going to a flea market and buying paper towels for a dollar over buying paper towels at Dollar General for $1.50 than they will do what they have to do to save $0.50. very true, and thrift stores. I find tools at thrift stores and antique shops, we talked about this.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-17-2013, 12:13 PM

Indeed, I use to go in to shop at Walmart. I'd get me a basket filling it up with things I'd like to buy dreaming of that day when the economy would get better. It then dawned on me that all the things in my basket were made in China meaning that all the products were either defective or I wouldn't be able to open the tough plastic encasing the product. So, rather than get in a checkout line, I'd go straight to the return line saving a lot of time.
The last straw wasn't the Mexican children who stand up within the baskets oblivious of gravity and the hard floor below. No, it was a Mexican mother who, after wheeling and loading her vehicle with hundreds of dollars of food she purchased with food stamps, took hold of her little boy and, after licking the bottom of his shoes, stuck him to the front of her car as a hood ornament before driving off.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Indeed, I use to go in to shop at Walmart. I'd get me a basket filling it up with things I'd like to buy dreaming of that day when the economy would get better. It then dawned on me that all the things in my basket were made in China meaning that all the products were either defective or I wouldn't be able to open the tough plastic encasing the product.

I buy my condoms from Walmart ($6 box Trojans) never broke yet. Same box costs $13 to $15 at a pharmacy chain store.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-17-2013, 01:17 PM
I buy my condoms from Walmart ($6 box Trojans) never broke yet. Same box costs $13 to $15 at a pharmacy chain store.

A precious broken condom is a terrible pain so quickly forgotten.

MelissaWV
02-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I haven't found a local mom & pop store that makes plastic storage bins yet. I don't live next to a local Christmas tree light factory. I have never wandered aisle after aisle looking for a "Made in the USA" washcloth because, frankly, after a month or two at the old folks' home I intend them to be thrown out.

angelatc
02-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I haven't found a local mom & pop store that makes plastic storage bins yet. I don't live next to a local Christmas tree light factory. I have never wandered aisle after aisle looking for a "Made in the USA" washcloth because, frankly, after a month or two at the old folks' home I intend them to be thrown out.

Not to mention the fact that not everything is Walmart is made in China. It would be more accurate to say that most of their merchandise is made in Asia, but I'm increasingly seeing items from South America creeping in the mix too.

MelissaWV
02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Not to mention the fact that not everything is Walmart is made in China. It would be more accurate to say that most of their merchandise is made in Asia, but I'm increasingly seeing items from South America creeping in the mix too.

The pinata we bought there was made in Mexico lol

KrokHead
02-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Probably an aberration, the best theory I read in six pages is that people can't afford the gas to go to the walmart so they are probably getting ripped off more locally. Also, while you get your fair share of finds at Family Dollar, Dollar General, dollar stores, Walmart, etc. The quality of the products is usually shit, you'll spend more in the long run. I actually take the effort to buy a made in USA product if I actually have a choice.

Now when it comes to the same bottle of apple juice or paper towels I'd get anywhere else, I see no crime in going to walmart.

silverhandorder
02-17-2013, 02:48 PM
What world do you walmart haters live in? All the products they carry are the products any other store carries. Their prices are cheaper then most places. Who in their right mind would spend hours to save pennies? I just moved out of my house and starting to manage my own budget. Food, clothing and appliances all cost relatively the same between local stores and their chain counterparts.

Food I buy organic, grass fed and etc. This is only available in specialty markets and stores like whole foods and stop and shop. Yet even if you eat the regular stuff the cheapest farmers market gives you 20% discount. You can save more traveling to your closest store w.e it may be and not wasting food.

For appliances and clothing first online is always available at cheaper prices. Second these purchases are made for long term. Overpaying is not that big of a deal. Plus if you do really care that much you have all the time in the world to find what you want.

Lastly America does not make anything anymore so buying American would leave me with less choices and in many cases quality is not better.

As far as original topic yeah things are getting to end game. If people stop buying the bubble pops.

Ender
02-17-2013, 04:09 PM
What world do you walmart haters live in? All the products they carry are the products any other store carries. Their prices are cheaper then most places. Who in their right mind would spend hours to save pennies? I just moved out of my house and starting to manage my own budget. Food, clothing and appliances all cost relatively the same between local stores and their chain counterparts.

Food I buy organic, grass fed and etc. This is only available in specialty markets and stores like whole foods and stop and shop. Yet even if you eat the regular stuff the cheapest farmers market gives you 20% discount. You can save more traveling to your closest store w.e it may be and not wasting food.

For appliances and clothing first online is always available at cheaper prices. Second these purchases are made for long term. Overpaying is not that big of a deal. Plus if you do really care that much you have all the time in the world to find what you want.

Lastly America does not make anything anymore so buying American would leave me with less choices and in many cases quality is not better.

As far as original topic yeah things are getting to end game. If people stop buying the bubble pops.

Pretty much right on.

A lot of people have bought into the bad publicity on Walmart originated by the unions because the store will not unionize- which one would THINK would be praise worthy on a freedom-based forum.

Also- for those advocating Dollar Stores- these are usually NOT cheaper, when you compare cost per oz etc. AND their stuff is also from China, so methinks this is a bit hypocritical.

I shop at Walmart and Dollar Stores plus any reasonable health stores I can find.

oyarde
02-17-2013, 04:56 PM

To work and back I drive by 2 of the 3 local groceries that sell cheaper and better meat than wal mart.They are also the two that sell local meat. That is about all I buy @ the grocer anymore for the most part . I drive by two Dollar General stores on the same trip and a few items I can get cheaper there than wal mart.I have no need for Wal Mart. I am in the farm store once or twice a month , other things I can get there for equivelent price and things walmart does not carry.I realize for many they may be beneficial.I grow my own vegetables , hunt & fish some of my meat with the ability to do all that way.If you are depending on walmart to feed you , could be a lean future in America.The future does not look bright.

BAllen
02-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Freds is a pretty good dept. store, as well. Bought a new 5 cup tea maker there for 10 bucks. I think what you'll see more of is specialty stores. Smaller store means less overhead, so they can focus on a niche. Do It Best Hardware doesn't carry a load of appliances. They focus more on other hardware items.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-18-2013, 12:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4EF9ifvkPA

Lucille
02-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Wal-Mart: "Families Are Adjusting To A Reduced Paycheck And Increased Gas Prices"
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-02-21/wal-mart-families-are-adjusting-reduced-paycheck-and-increased-gas-prices

...The only thing that algos and carbon-based lifeforms alike honed in on, was the recap of the most recent 13 week period, to see if WMT was only kidding when it said that February sales, which obviously were not part of Q4 results, were a "total disaster." The reason WMT's stock is not doing to well in the pre-market is that they did not like what they found.

Here is the key section:

"We are confident that our low prices will continue to resonate, as families adjust to a reduced paycheck and increased gas prices," Simon said. "We see the underlying health of the Walmart U.S. business is sound, and sales trends are similar to what we've demonstrated in the last few quarters. However, February sales started slower than planned, due in large part, to the delay in income tax refunds. We began seeing increased tax refund check activity late last week in our stores, resulting in a more normalized weekly sales pattern for this time of the year. Due to the slower sales rate in the first few weeks of this year's first quarter, we are forecasting comp sales for the 13-week period from Jan. 26 to Apr. 26, 2013 to be around flat. We continue to monitor economic conditions that can impact our sales, such as rising fuel prices, changes in inflation and the payroll tax increase."

One can hope that all the other retailers in the US, which are just as dependent on the consumer's discretionary revenue stream which is now certifiably less, will adjust just as well.

Pericles
02-21-2013, 11:35 AM
They could try selling firearms and ammunition ......

Lucille
02-22-2013, 12:59 PM
The Best Thing to Happen to America in a Long Time
http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2013-02-22/best-thing-happen-america-long-time

It’s hard to describe how happy I am to see Walmart facing a slump. I’m delighted to see that the cause of Walmart’s problem is the 2% increase in Social Security withholding taxes.

It’s not just Walmart that is feeling the pinch from higher payroll taxes. According to today’s WSJ (link) damn near every company that has a retail sales base is getting nicked.

We are witnessing what happens when tax rates go up. There is (new) definitive evidence that raising taxes decreases consumption. That notion is an old one, but I think the reality that is now being proven out in real time has to make a difference in how people think about taxes, government spending and the real economy.

Who is responsible for the increase in payroll taxes that is causing all the damage? Don’t blame the evil Republicans for this one. The liberal wing of the Democratic Party INSISTED that payroll taxes had to go up on January 1. Want to blame someone for the slump in retail? Blame Harry Reid (D-NV).

Why would liberal Democrats want to whack their base with higher taxes? Easy answer. Because they love Social Security more than anything else. They would sacrifice anything, including the economy and their political base, to protect SS from the criticism that it was no longer “Off budget and self financed”.

What an idiotic position. And now those who fought to get the full 12.4% tax reinstated are going to have to pay the price. The evidence is overwhelming; higher payroll taxes hurt the economy.
[...]
The Social Security Trust Fund has said that to “fix” SS would require an immediate and permanent increase in PR taxes of 2.2% (above the 12.4% today). Based on the evidence of the past few months it’s easy to conclude that a tax increase of that magnitude would push the economy into a recession – Once in a slump, the economy would be hard pressed to recover.

Not only would higher PR taxes kill the economy, it would hurt lower paid workers the hardest. The evidence from Walmart reconfirms the fact that SS taxes are very regressive. They hurt the base of people that the liberals claim they are trying to protect. How can Senator Reid defend that outcome? He can’t.

http://brucekrasting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/NYT1-300x157.png

IMHO if individual payroll taxes were cut 50% from the current level, the economy would prosper. Unemployment would fall, incomes would rise. Federal tax revenues would increase, in the process, the deficits would fall. A permanent reduction in payroll taxes is the only chance I see for a sustained expansion of the economy.

So to the Execs at Walmart, and all of those other retailers that are feeling the SS pinch, I say "Welcome to the club". You can be the wind behind the sails for the changes that are needed. Just this once I will say that what is good for Walmart, is also good for America.

VoluntaryAmerican
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Freds is a pretty good dept. store, as well. Bought a new 5 cup tea maker there for 10 bucks. I think what you'll see more of is specialty stores. Smaller store means less overhead, so they can focus on a niche. Do It Best Hardware doesn't carry a load of appliances. They focus more on other hardware items.

Sock Outlet down the road from me, pretty neat little store. Never thought I could imagine that many socks crammed in such a tiny store.

jbauer
02-22-2013, 02:14 PM
How about you stock your ammo shelf....you'll get sales then

Lucille
02-22-2013, 04:11 PM
WAL-MART AND THE INTERCONNECTED COLLAPSE
http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=49619

Another classic mainstream media article that touches upon the truth, but refuses to connect the dots. It is supposed to show that Wal-Mart’s results are a reflection of the stress on the middle and lower class in this country that account for about 77 million of the 115 million households. But who do they reference as a mother under stress? They pick Melanie Burkhardt. Can these faux journalists multiply and divide. Melanie says that the 2% payroll tax hike has knocked $260 per month from her budget. This means she is from a household with annual income of $156,000. They interview her as a reflection of the average middle class and poor family???? How bad must she be managing her finances that she now doesn’t have enough money to go to the movies or Olive Garden even though she has monthly income of $13,000?

But, she hits upon the key fact in her comments. Obama didn’t stick it to the rich with tax increases. The rich called their tax lawyers and told them to figure out a way to not pay the tax. Every working American got hammered by the payroll tax increase. Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck, even those making $156,000 per year. Gas prices have soared by 14% in the last two months and are the highest in history for the month of February. Wal-Mart executives and customers reference inflation as a problem, even though the BLS says there is no inflation. The story doesn’t mention that Wal-Mart’s U.S. comparable sales were up 1% last quarter, but their customer traffic was NEGATIVE. This means their sales increase was solely due to INFLATION/PRICE INCREASES.

The lady’s reference to not splurging at Olive Garden is reflected in the 2nd article below that came out this morning. Darden, the company that runs Olive Garden, Red Lobster and Longhorn Steakhouse pre-announced terrible results for their current quarter. Sales are plunging, after having plunged last quarter. The middle and lower classes can’t afford to gorge themselves as much as in the past. The money is running out. Obamacare is going to crush restaurant chains, retailers, and consumers as more money is spent on healthcare by all parties. Companies will hire less workers, convert workers to part-time and fire workers. This will mean less spending at retailers and restaurants. It’s the downward spiral of life.

This is the interconnected collapse brought on by government policies and Federal Reserve bailing out of failures and feckless politicians.

Wal-Mart outlook gives glimpse of economy (http://hosted2.ap.org/OREUG/d0732c86f9b44a428fc30e935ef90fcf/Article_2013-02-21-Earns-Wal-Mart/id-382df2fe14a34941ae3fe01be2b4db4e)
NEW YORK (AP) — As the fortunes of many Americans go, so goes Wal-Mart, so goes the economy.

Even as the world’s largest retailer on Thursday reported an 8.6 percent rise in fourth quarter profit during the busy holiday shopping season, it offered a weaker forecast for the coming months. The problem? The poor and middle-class Americans Wal-Mart caters to — and who are big drivers of spending in the U.S. — are struggling with rising gas prices, delayed income tax refunds and higher payroll taxes.

Melanie M. Burkhardt, a mother of two teenagers who shops at Wal-Mart, is one of those people. Burkhardt, a Waycross, Ga., resident, said she’s been hit with a double whammy: the payroll tax hike, which has cut her household monthly income by $260, and higher gas prices.

“We had to do a flip on our budget,” said Burkhardt, a legal assistant who plans to cut back on her trips to Wal-Mart. “This is money we used for things like going to a movie or splurging at Olive Garden. Not anymore.”

It’s widely known that Americans in the lower income brackets continue to struggle even as higher earners benefit from improved housing and stock markets, but Wal-Mart’s results signal that matters may be getting worse for the nation’s poor and middle-class. Wal-Mart is the latest in a string of big-name companies from Burger King to Zale to say those Americans are being squeezed by new challenges. But since Wal-Mart accounts for nearly 10 percent of nonautomotive retail spending in the U.S., it is a bellwether for the economy.

“Wal-Mart moms are the barometer of the U.S. household,” said Brian Sozzi, chief equities analyst at NBG Productions who follows Wal-Mart. “Right now, they’re afraid of higher taxes and inflation.”
[...]
Stocks have roughly doubled since June 2009. Dividends and capital gains from stocks, which disproportionately benefit higher-income Americans, are taxed at lower rates compared with ordinary income

And while incomes for most Americans have failed to keep pace with inflation since the recession, that’s been particularly true for middle and lower-income earners.

Median household income, adjusted for inflation, fell 1.5 percent to $50,054 in 2011 compared with 2010, the latest periods for which figures are available, according to the Census Bureau. That was down 8.1 percent from 2007, just before the recession began. (The median is the point halfway between the highest and lowest levels.)

But lower and middle-income households fared worse: The share of overall income earned by the bottom 80 percent of households shrank in 2011, while the income for the top 20 percent grew. And in 2012, inflation-adjusted hourly pay barely rose, inching up 0.3 percent.

Another hurdle for lower- and middle-income Americans has been the jump in gas prices since mid-January. The average price for a gallon of gas rose 47 cents in the past month to $3.78 on Thursday, according to AAA.

Tax changes also have hit the nation’s lowest earners especially hard. On Jan. 1, Social Security payroll taxes rose 2 percentage points after a temporary tax cut expired. That sliced about $1,000 from the take-home pay of a household earning $50,000. Since the Social Security tax is levied against income only up to $114,000, it disproportionately affects middle- and lower-income households.

Zippyjuan
02-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Sock Outlet down the road from me, pretty neat little store. Never thought I could imagine that many socks crammed in such a tiny store.

Surprised you could do enough business just selling socks to have a store of just that one item. People don't go out and buy new ones every week.

devil21
02-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Surprised you could do enough business just selling socks to have a store of just that one item. People don't go out and buy new ones every week.

Probably a lot of online business, though most socks these days seem to only last a short time. I buy standard Hanes type black socks at Walmart and they develop holes after a couple months of wash and wear. Shoes and socks just ain't very durable anymore!