PDA

View Full Version : Rangel: Reinstate the draft--for women too

green73
02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) on Friday said he plans to introduce legislation that would bring back the military draft and extend it to women for the first time.

Rangel, who has pushed for years to bring back the draft, said the Pentagon’s decision to allow women to serve in combat means that they too should register for the Selective Service.

"Now that women can serve in combat they should register for the Selective Service alongside their male counterparts," Rangel said in a statement. "Reinstating the draft and requiring women to register for the Selective Service would compel the American public to have a stake in the wars we fight as a nation. We must question why and how we go to war, and who decides to send our men and women into harm's way."

Read more: http://thehill.com/video/house/283387-rangel-to-introduce-legislation-to-reinstating-the-draft-

sailingaway
02-15-2013, 11:39 AM
I think we should draft Rangel. Any who want this should go first.

CaptainAmerica
02-15-2013, 11:49 AM
I think we should draft Rangel. Any who want this should go first.

He would never allow his own grandchildren to get drafted I'm sure.

sailingaway
02-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Grandchildren nothing. I'm sure he could manage loading clips or something in firefights.

UWDude
02-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Rangel does have a point.

shane77m
02-15-2013, 11:55 AM
and who decides to send our men and women into harm's way."

That would be the people that own the pipelines of course.

sailingaway
02-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Personally, I think it is really the first step of Obama's universal 'community' draft. I think they'll 'allow' women to do community support jobs, then make that a norm, war service or not for all.

That is just my hunch, but remembering Obama's and some others' on the left views....

P3ter_Griffin
02-15-2013, 12:35 PM

I'm not a fan of everyone having to pay the price because the majority have given our government free reign on militarism, but I do agree. Of course if everyone over 40 is exempt from the draft, who knows if it'd do anything to prevent the election of warmongers.

Lucille
02-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Great question (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/132411.html):

Rep. Rangel not only wants to bring back the draft, he wants to begin drafting women as well. In an interview on MSNBC, Rangel said the draft should be reinstated because the majority of Americans make "no real sacrifice" when the country goes to war.

I will be writing about the draft soon, but for now I am wondering this: What sacrifices do members of Congress make when the country goes to war? How has Rangel sacrificed since the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan began?

nayjevin
02-15-2013, 03:13 PM
We don't have enough people that would voluntarily fight in imperialist wars of aggression? MIC.... YOU SLIPPIN!

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-15-2013, 03:32 PM

What point?

HOLLYWOOD
02-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Charlie Rangel's Idea, are you doing your part?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijvTiDnWJLE

Miss Annie
02-15-2013, 06:30 PM
I tend to wonder if reinstating the draft wouldn't cure some of the apathy in the country? People might look at things with a little more interest, (or even be willing to look), if something dear to them was at stake.