PDA

View Full Version : Eric Holder: Banning Homeschooling Doesn’t Violate Fundamental Rights

Lucille
02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
I would be curious to see Holder's list of fundamental rights. Abortion would be at the top, no doubt. I suppose medical care would be on the list.

Eric Holder: Banning Homeschooling Doesn’t Violate Fundamental Rights
http://caffeinatedthoughts.com/2013/02/eric-holder-banning-homeschooling-doesnt-violate-fundamental-rights/

I read an article written by Michael Farris, the founder and chair of HSLDA – the Home School Legal Defense Association. In it he discussed the case made by government lawyers representing Attorney General Eric Holder during the court hearing for the Romeike family. You may remember the Romeike’s sought political asylum in the United States due to Germany’s persecution of homeschooling families. A federal district court judge granted the Romikes asylum here against the wishes of the Federal government. The government appealed that decision to the Board of Immigration appeals and won. HSLDA appealed to the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals where the case (Romeike v. Holder) will be heard.

Farris outlined three arguments made by the U.S. Department of Justice lawyers which should be of concern to American homeschooling families:

He said the first argument in essence is that a government isn’t violating anyone’s rights if homeschooling is banned altogether.

…There are two major portions of constitutional rights of citizens—fundamental liberties and equal protection. The U.S. Attorney General has said this about homeschooling. There is no fundamental liberty to homeschool. So long as a government bans homeschooling broadly and equally, there is no violation of your rights. This is a view which gives some acknowledgement to the principle of equal protection but which entirely jettisons the concept of fundamental liberties.

Farris noted the DOJ’s 2nd argument was that the Romeikes failed to show there was discrimination based on religion since not all homeschooling families are Christian, and not every Christian believes they have to homeschool.

This argument demonstrates another form of dangerous “group think” by our own government. The central problem here is that the U.S. government does not understand that religious freedom is an individual right. One need not be a part of any church or other religious group to be able to make a religious freedom claim. Specifically, one doesn’t have to follow the dictates of a church to claim religious freedom—one should be able to follow the dictates of God Himself.

The United States Supreme Court has made it very clear in the past that religious freedom is an individual right. Yet our current government does not seem to understand this. They only think of us as members of groups and factions. It is an extreme form of identity politics that directly threatens any understanding of individual liberty.

A third argument that DOJ made was that the Romeikes did not meet the standard of being part of a social group with “immutable” characteristics that can’t change and should not be required to change. They said the Romeikes could choose not to homeschool and send their children to public school and then teach from home since their children would have only been in school for 22-26 hours during the week.

...This argument necessarily means that the United States government believes that it would not violate your rights if our own government banned homeschooling entirely. After all, you could teach your children your own values after they have had 22-26 hours of public school indoctrination aimed at counteracting religious and philosophical views the government doesn’t like.

The second problem with this argument goes back to the definition of immutability. Immutable means a characteristic that cannot be changed or “should not be required” to be changed.

No one contends that homeschooling is a characteristic that cannot be changed. We simply contend that in a free nation it is a characteristic that should not be required to be changed.

Those of us who homeschool should be concerned because the Attorney General of the United States, Eric Holder, in the government’s arguments essentially said that he believes that a law that bans homeschooling would violate no fundamental liberties.

Spikender
02-13-2013, 05:57 PM
…There are two major portions of constitutional rights of citizens—fundamental liberties and equal protection. The U.S. Attorney General has said this about homeschooling. There is no fundamental liberty to homeschool. So long as a government bans homeschooling broadly and equally, there is no violation of your rights. This is a view which gives some acknowledgement to the principle of equal protection but which entirely jettisons the concept of fundamental liberties.

"So long as the government keeps everyone separate but equal, there is no violation of your rights."

Seriously, so they're saying that forcing you to send your children to public school against your wishes is not a violation of rights?

Next they'll be telling us that forcing people to get vaccines is not a violation of our rights-

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_the_CDC_have_the_right_to_force_people_to_get _vaccine

Nevermind.

acptulsa
02-13-2013, 06:09 PM
"So long as the government keeps everyone separate but equal, there is no violation of your rights."

That's not quite how I read that. I think what he's saying is, we can shackle you straight into slavery just as long as we shackle everyone into slavery equally with no favoratism.

angelatc
02-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Liberty means being allowed to do anything they tell you you can do.

Spikender
02-13-2013, 06:10 PM
That's not quite how I read that. I think what he's saying is, we can shackle you straight into slavery just as long as we shackle everyone into slavery equally with no favoratism.

Oh, I realize that's not what he was saying here, it's just that that's the first thing that popped into my head when I read that line. I'm sure there's parallels to be drawn between the two somewhere, though.

Exponent
02-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Sounds to me like they want to twist the Constitution around completely backward by claiming that the government has complete rights to do whatever, except where groups or individuals have rights explicitly reserved. Since homeschooling is not explicitly enumerated, nor obviously implied anywhere (because hey, the 10th amendment gets ignored by the government whenever desired), it isn't a liberty that we as individuals possess.

Can't say I'm surprised; rulers always start from the baseline that they always have complete freedom to do whatever to their subjects, and they are only willing to grant the illusion of freedoms to their subjects to the extent necessary to keep them in line.

jkr
02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
#fuckericholderthelyingmurderer