PDA

View Full Version : WA man teaches science to students without federal dollars

XNavyNuke
02-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Why are kids in Federal Way playing with a nuclear reactor? (http://kplu.org/post/why-are-kids-federal-way-playing-nuclear-reactor)

At one point, senior Raymond Maung walks in wearing a bright silver spacesuit, carrying a thermos of liquid nitrogen.

“In class, the most physics we do is bouncing rubber balls. This kind of experience is definitely priceless,” Maung says.

As the electricity increases, a counter measures neutron production: the product of nuclear fusion.

A new way of learning

If Greninger has his way, some of these kids will restock the talent in America’s nuclear industries – making advances in energy, nuclear medicine and materials science.

Pretty cool.

XNN

Natural Citizen
02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Starting to see a lot of this.

osan
03-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Starting to see a lot of this.

We are showing our defiance in small ways.

Will it be enough?

Let us hope.

luctor-et-emergo
03-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Cool, I would have loved that in school !

Working Poor
03-01-2013, 06:51 AM
He will probably be arrested soon for violating some kind of regulation. :/

Origanalist
03-01-2013, 06:55 AM
He will probably be arrested soon for violating some kind of regulation. :/

My thought exactly.

Natural Citizen
03-01-2013, 08:45 PM
I don't know. I don't even like to get into discussion like this where it could get spun so easily into the historical narrative. It's dangerous and the relevant terms of controversy that should premise are too often lost rather quickly. I don't disregard the impact on public education that we have seen over the years but cannot at the same time continue to look at it in that prism. It is changing and it has done so through science technology engineering and math. This isn't a partisan venture as many view it to be. Of course, I have my own biased view on it as much as the next person so it is what it is. I'll say this though. Scientifically literate people do tend to look at the world in a much different way. That said, teachers who take this kind of initiative are profoundly affecting these youth. I've seen it first hand. I think it's great what the space program has committed to doing with regard to education. This is where change comes from and the only thing in their way is a misguided vision of a previous generation. What we see happening now only happens once every several generations and I couldn't be more thankful to live in these very important times. With all of the dreadful current events we read and talk about today, this is the one area where a truly bipartisan effort will ultimately become a practical investment. That's just my own opinion on it. The flipside though is that scrutiny relevant to oversight of outlying aspects is something lacking. There are those even among us who would rather envision a growth model much in a manner that we saw during the Apollo days whereas technology and education was shoved aside and militarized in favor of empowering foreign countries and economies built upon the sale of useless plastic junk to reckless consumers. Recent discussion on the H1-B is something more folks should really take the time to understand in order to ponder the consequences that some opportunists in public office may again wish to place a nation at the mercy of.

But I'm rambling now. So...yeah.