PDA

View Full Version : A blimp is a BAD IDEA - here is why

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 07:56 PM
I have a minor in marketing. I work in advertising (among other things).

A blimp for Ron Paul is a bad idea and the reason is because it is not very targeted.

If you fly a blimp over a city and 1,000,000 people see the blimp, only x% of those people will be registered voters, and only about 10-20% of those registered voters will vote in the primary, and if it's a major city I would venture to say most of them will be Democrats (urban areas are almost always Democratic - in closed primary states this is a waste).

This means that out of 1 million people that see the blimp, you might only reach a few thousand people that might possibly vote for Ron. This seems like a colossal waste of money for the result.

THE KEY IS TARGETED ADVERTISING!

This means instead of buying a blimp spend money on the following things (in this order):

Assemble and deliver packets to SuperVoters in your region. Supervoters are people who have voted in the last few elections and are likely to vote in the primary. Your state coordinator should have a list of these people.
Buy air time on your local conservative talk radio stations including any commercial Christian stations in town
Buy TV ads on your local nightly and morning news programs, buy ads locally via your cable company on FOX, CNN, and MSNBC
Buy ads in local papers close to the editoral pages, in the business section, and in the local section
Purchase billboards in geographically strategic areas

I am sorry if I am raining on anyone's parade (or deflating their baloon - pun intended :p ) but if we want Ron Paul to win the primary, then we need to market him professionally with the best intelligence we can!

cien750hp
11-22-2007, 07:58 PM
you have some valid points. however, i'd say alot of those people might go research who ron paul is, and if they havn't missed the deadline (it would make sense to only fly this over big cities that havnt reached the party change cutoff date) and then assuming most fall in love with Paul's message, well they'd see they have to switch. Also, those who do not switch might become like us, devoting so much energy into spreading the message to others who can switch too.

Jordan
11-22-2007, 08:01 PM
I think getting the message out to 1Million people for $300k who might be 10% willing to vote for us is better than spending $300K to get 100,000 people who will vote for us.

We need to get his name out there more than anything.

Chester Copperpot
11-22-2007, 08:01 PM

A blimp for Ron Paul is a bad idea and the reason is because it is not very targeted.

If you fly a blimp over a city and 1,000,000 people see the blimp, only x% of those people will be registered voters, and only about 10-20% of those registered voters will vote in the primary, and if it's a major city I would venture to say most of them will be Democrats (urban areas are almost always Democratic - in closed primary states this is a waste).

This means that out of 1 million people that see the blimp, you might only reach a few thousand people that might possibly vote for Ron. This seems like a colossal waste of money for the result.

This means instead of buying a blimp spend money on the following things (in this order):

Assemble and deliver packets to SuperVoters in your region. Supervoters are people who have voted in the last few elections and are likely to vote in the primary. Your state coordinator should have a list of these people.
Buy air time on your local conservative talk radio stations including any commercial Christian stations in town
Buy TV ads on your local nightly and morning news programs, buy ads locally via your cable company on FOX, CNN, and MSNBC
Buy ads in local papers close to the editoral pages, in the business section, and in the local section

I am sorry if I am raining on anyone's parade (or deflating their baloon - pun intended :p ) but if we want Ron Paul to win the primary, then we need to market him professionally with the best intelligence we can!

I think having a Ron Paul blimp is cool.. BUT I agree that it is a bad idea.. not much bang for the buck.. definitely not a good return on the investment.

happyphilter
11-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I have a major in marketing and this is a good idea.

Midnight77
11-22-2007, 08:07 PM
We should also take into consideration there being Media Attention covering this blimp that will reach millions of viewers. How many other candidates are doing the same thing?

This idea is unique.

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 08:07 PM

Explain...

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 08:08 PM
We should also take into consideration there being Media Attention covering this blimp that will reach millions of viewers.
I think you would be able to buy time on targeted media which would be more effective and less expensive. It's all about frequency. People only see a blimp once. But if you spend the money to run dozens of ads, you get frequency. TARGETED FREQUENCY is the key to winning this.

LibertyEagle
11-22-2007, 08:09 PM
I think getting the message out to 1Million people for $300k who might be 10% willing to vote for us is better than spending $300K to get 100,000 people who will vote for us.

Are you serious? Three hundred thousand dollars?

Geez, for me, I'd rather support having some well-placed billboards, targeted magazine ads (guns, homeschooling, small business, etc), radio ads, .......

To each their own, I guess.

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 08:10 PM

How much does a blimp cost? What city will it operate in? What day and time will it fly?

We need to get his name out there more than anything.I agree. But we need to get it out there to people who are likely to vote, and of that group it needs to be people who are able and likely to vote for someone like Ron Paul.

literatim
11-22-2007, 08:10 PM
I think $300k would be better off going towards advertising in magazines of a specific target audience, specifically firearm and hunting magazines.

AlexMerced
11-22-2007, 08:11 PM
I am also a marketing student, do what you want,but I don't think it's good investment, very few people will really give the blimp any attention, afterwards how many of them are voters, then of those voters how many will do research, then how many of them will in then turn vote our way, you'll be lucky to get 1%

I like the super packets Idea, it's directed, no hoping they do research or can vote, and if it's attracted enough a package which can be done $10 they will definetley give it some attention.

so at $10 a package it may seema lot more per person, but the chances of getting actual votes are a LOT higher

happyphilter
11-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Blimps are awesome is probably one of the most valid points.
Everyone loves to see these things fly, kids will grab their parents and mom will want to run out side and take pictures and although it may not make people vote for him it should definantly help with name recognition with the help local media will provide.

All the other ideas you listed are really good as well, but when it comes down to it nobody is going to change their mind about who they are going to vote for unless something interests them enough to care.

When was the last time you really listened to a TV ad or radio ad and cared? Being different is good, this is unique, it will get attention. and like I mentioned before we will get a lot of free advertising on local news.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-22-2007, 08:12 PM
I like the blimp only if the month it's being leased encompasses a time before, during and after the early primaries. The Iowa caucus is January 3, 2008 and the New Hampshire primary is January 8. So I like getting the blimp for December 15-January 15...or something like that.

AlexMerced
a blimp would build some very minor buzz... when was the last time you saw a blimp, do you remember what is was for?

Matt Collins
i'd say alot of those people might go research who ron paul is, and if they havn't missed the deadline (it would make sense to only fly this over big cities that havnt reached the party change cutoff date) and then assuming most fall in love with Paul's message, well they'd see they have to switch. Also, those who do not switch might become like us, devoting so much energy into spreading the message to others who can switch too.My argument is that this money could be better spent on better more effective although less sexy, means of advertising.

Here is a hint: There is a reason why you don't see very many blimps advertising in the sky!

austin356
11-22-2007, 08:13 PM
If blimps were an effective form of advertising other companies besides Goodyear would utilize the medium.

Basically this:

Blimps are gimmicks and police tools only. They serve no real widespread purpose outside of those two uses.

We dont need a gimmick. And by God we dont need a police tool.

Korey Kaczynski
11-22-2007, 08:13 PM
My argument is that this money could be better spent on better more effective although less sexy, means of advertising.

Here is a hint: There is a reason why you don't see very many blimps advertising in the sky!

I'm in total agreement. This blimp thing is a dumb gimmick.

AlexMerced
11-22-2007, 08:14 PM
yeah, i doubt a blimp can be arranged in time, you'd be better off getting flyover planes and hiring someone to paint their bodies with an RP theme and walk around times square.

cien750hp
11-22-2007, 08:14 PM
a blimp would build some very minor buzz... when was the last time you saw a blimp, do you remember what is was for?

i saw a blimp a month or so ago, the direct TV at the world series. Exactly the point on why we should buy a blimp, when was the last time you saw one? people don't seem them often, and thats why it's so unique. No other candidate would have a blimp. It would be HUGE. people could not ignore it. and the headlines and tv anchors reporting on the ron paul blimp would be priceless.

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 08:15 PM
When was the last time you really listened to a TV ad or radio ad and cared? Being different is good, this is unique, it will get attention. I agree that unique is good, to an extent. The reason companies keep spending millions of dollars on marketing via traditional media (print, radio, TV, outdoor, direct mail, etc) is because these methods of advertising ARE EFFECTIVE!

happyphilter
11-22-2007, 08:16 PM
I think you would be able to buy time on targeted media which would be more effective and less expensive. It's all about frequency. People only see a blimp once. But if you spend the money to run dozens of ads, you get frequency. TARGETED FREQUENCY is the key to winning this.

true frequency is very important, but if we were to run ADs we would just be better off donating to the campaign, thats no fun.

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 08:17 PM
you'd be better off getting ... someone to paint their bodies with an RP theme and walk around times square.

This hasn't been done yet? I am surprised! :D

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 08:18 PM
true frequency is very important, but if we were to run ADs we would just be better off donating to the campaign, thats no fun.
What does HQ have to do with anything? Run your own ads through a PAC locally and get local meetup supporters to pool their money together.

AlexMerced
it'll be much more directr an easier to read, plus people can ask the person about RP, I wonder what the Naked Cowboy is up to these days

hddn-agnda
this is 3000 dollars, right?

start a chipin, if people want to throw down the cash, they will... I personally agree that this probably might not be worth it, but I'm still going to donate... I'll do anything to get this man elected.

happyphilter
I agree that unique is good, to an extent. The reason companies keep spending millions of dollars on marketing via traditional media (print, radio, TV, outdoor, direct mail, etc) is because these methods of advertising ARE EFFECTIVE!

They are effective when millions of dollars are pumped into the advertising. Its hard to measure what would give us more value, the blimp or TV/radio/billboard etc , if we spend the same amount of money.

austin356
11-22-2007, 08:20 PM
When was the last time you really listened to a TV ad or radio ad and cared? Being different is good, this is unique, it will get attention. and like I mentioned before we will get a lot of free advertising on local news.

Unique is only important to the extent that it improve effectiveness.

If a blimp's uniqueness was soo unique that it improved effectiveness for advertising dollars dont you think in the free market that companies would have already saturated the blimp market?

Blimps are cool.

Paying for blimps to win an election is not cool.

happyphilter
What does HQ have to do with anything? Run your own ads through a PAC locally and get local meetup supporters to pool their money together.

I was just saying HQ knows where it needs advertising and it might be better to trust them to make the decision on what to do with our money. I can tell you one thing though, they would never buy a blimp haha, maybe they just haven't thought of it yet/

austin356

start a chipin, if people want to throw down the cash, they will... I personally agree that this probably might not be worth it, but I'm still going to donate... I'll do anything to get this man elected.

$200,000 for the blimp, biggest waste of Money since FEMA started the "government laboratory" in New Orleans.

AlexMerced
11-22-2007, 08:23 PM
for 200,000 dollars you can do a website where you send 100,000 people a dollar if they watcha series of videos, the other 100,000 would be for postage to send those dollars

that's 100,000 people awashed in videos

Midnight77
11-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Ummm, more like between $200,000 to $300,000.

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 08:26 PM
They are effective when millions of dollars are pumped into the advertising. Its hard to measure what would give us more value, the blimp or TV/radio/billboard etc , if we spend the same amount of money.

Not true. You have to look at numbers. All forms of advertising have what is called a CPM rate or 'cost per thousand' (m is Roman for 1,000). While a blimp might have a better CPM ratio, it isn't targeted at all. In fact it is the least targeted form of advertising because it only gets seen once, and the audience is wide, not narrow.

I work in radio. I have a minor in marketing. You don't need to spend millions of dollars to be effective.

I COULD WIN NASHVILLE for Ron (Fred's home town) if I had $500k or less and that includes all of the advertising I mentioned above except for of course a blimp. I can probably do it for $200k (in fact I'm going to try - more on that later)

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 08:29 PM
I was just saying HQ knows where it needs advertising and it might be better to trust them to make the decision on what to do with our money. Uhh.... I take it you are not a libertarian? I personally know what is best to do with my money and don't trust anyone else to make decisions for me, especially someone far away in another city (such as DC). I don't think Ron wants us to trust him with our money, I think Ron trusts us with our own money.

Nevertheless, there are days I wonder if the HQ knows what they are doing or not. Since I have experience in advertising I am going to do my best on my own and with the help of other RP supporters to get him to win the primaries.

I can tell you one thing though, they would never buy a blimp haha, maybe they just haven't thought of it yet/They wouldn't buy a blimp because as I said, it isn't a good bang for their bucks.

happyphilter
11-22-2007, 08:30 PM
How about we just let people do what they want with their money

AlexMerced
11-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Not true. You have to look at numbers. All forms of advertising have what is called a CPM rate or 'cost per thousand' (m is Roman for 1,000). While a blimp might have a better CPM ratio, it isn't targeted at all. In fact it is the least targeted form of advertising because it only gets seen once, and the audience is wide, not narrow.

I work in radio. I have a minor in marketing. You don't need to spend millions of dollars to be effective.

I COULD WIN NASHVILLE for Ron (Fred's home town) if I had $500k or less and that includes all of the advertising I mentioned above except for of course a blimp. I can probably do it for $200k (in fact I'm going to try - more on that later)

he's write I've done underwriting sales for radio, and am about graduate, any career marketers on the board... let's paint some guy up for 1000

hddn-agnda
11-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Ummm, more like between $200,000 to $300,000.

waste of money.

austin356
11-22-2007, 08:33 PM

$600,000 is TN's proportional share of money raised relative to number of delegates.

NewEnd
11-22-2007, 08:34 PM
It depends on how much it costs.

Are people tlaking of buying a blimp?

hmmm... that is very intriguing.

austin356
11-22-2007, 08:35 PM
for 200,000 dollars you can do a website where you send 100,000 people a dollar if they watcha series of videos, the other 100,000 would be for postage to send those dollars

that's 100,000 people awashed in videos

Hey not a bad idea.

Lets pay Iowans and New Hampshirites to watch videos and then get their info and call them the day of the election and make sure they vote!!

austin356
11-22-2007, 08:37 PM
It depends on how much it costs.

Are people tlaking of buying a blimp?

hmmm... that is very intriguing.

Intriguing is right. Not intriguing enough for a cost of $200,000 though.

DealzOnWheelz
11-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Blimps are awesome is probably one of the most valid points.
Everyone loves to see these things fly, kids will grab their parents and mom will want to run out side and take pictures and although it may not make people vote for him it should definantly help with name recognition with the help local media will provide.

RUN OUTSIDE AND TAKE PICTURES?????

You must be in your 50's Maybe when you were a kid but this is the computer age nobody is gonna grab mommy to come take a pic of a Ron Paul blimp or any blimp for that matter unless they are already a Ron Paul supporter and want a piece of history.

For the money it costs; 200,000 to 300,000

if you really want to make a blast take that money & the 100,000 that one guy has to donate start a chip in and get close to $1 million and do some crazy National TV ad's during American Idol or some other reality TV craze. Or even during Playoff football games they aren't as expensive as the superbowl.

The key is targeting.

People are not that stupid...

Nobody says
"oh look a blimp with a sign on it let me go home and research what the blimp was talking about because it must be important if it said so on a blimp"

LBT
11-22-2007, 08:41 PM
What percentage of the day do people spend looking up into the sky? Less than 1% probably. Most people are indoors most of the day. One single billboard on a busy highway probably gets much more exposure than a blimp.

As has been said, if blimps were good advertising the skies would be full of them, yet they mostly only come out for the occassional big event.

The only way this blimp thing would work would be if it leveraged or spawned some other type of viral marketing strategy, and putting something like that together is a BIG RISK.

There is some potential to do something like a live position webpage where RP fans meet and greet the blimp on its journey. But a bunch of videos showing Paulites screaming at a blimp is not likely to create interest for very long imho.

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 08:41 PM
$600,000 is TN's proportional share of money raised relative to number of delegates.
Please explain? I am curious.

And also realize that I was talking about Nashville or Middle Tennessee, not Chattanooga, Knoxville, Bristol, or Memphis.

Ozwest
11-22-2007, 08:42 PM
The one advantage to using a blimp over TV, billboards, radio, and print, is the guaranteed MSM and local media spinoff. It would be huge!
It would also be a good enticer to draw people to events.

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 08:45 PM
The one advantage to using a blimp over TV, billboards, radio, and print, is the guaranteed MSM and local media spinoff. No it's not guaranteed. A blimp is not newsworthy. A blimp bought by a group of grassroots supporters has a certain amount of newsworthiness to it, but that does not guarantee press coverage, ESPECIALLY if it's a busy news day!

What guarantees being in the paper, on the radio, or on the TV? Paid advertising!

Ozwest
11-22-2007, 08:49 PM
No it's not guaranteed. A blimp is not newsworthy. A blimp bought by a group of grassroots supporters has a certain amount of newsworthiness to it, but that does not guarantee press coverage, ESPECIALLY if it's a busy news day!

What guarantees being in the paper, on the radio, or on the TV? Paid advertising!

Have you seen the blimp they are looking to hire? We're talk'in Good Year. Of course it would generate media.

Man from La Mancha
11-22-2007, 08:50 PM
The blimp proposed now is $350,000/month and will carry 12 people and is 200ft long and can have words on it it can be seen for 3 miles or lighted scolling signs seen for a mile. Rides in it can be given to media, politicians and kids or people that win "A Ride in the Ron Paul Blimp" contests in cities it visits. One will be avalable at the end of the month which is hard to do on short noticed. Look..http://airshipman.com/ourairships.htm

I used to think that it was dumb but the history of very large blimps when used for advertising seems huge in getting people to remember what they saw and the amount of people who see it, don't we want to attract a large group of non Republican people to get them to be Republican and vote for Ron and to get them to donate on December 16th? Don't you think that every news media will show pictures of the Ron Paul blimp and comment? Resulting more money in PR then spent on the blimp? Only thing I know will be to see how fast people could pledge to do a stunt like that. it only will work if people put their money where their mouths are and fast. Like the bombs it might generate money for the blimp that might have not been raised anywhere else.IMO

DealzOnWheelz
11-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Half of the people even talking about donating to a blimp are the same people that were bitching about the campaign's email for more $$$$$$

Does that make any sense????

european
11-22-2007, 08:58 PM
i believe the blimp is a good idea. it will help with the name recognition. which is what RP needs.

paulitics
I think $300k would be better off going towards advertising in magazines of a specific target audience, specifically firearm and hunting magazines.

I agree.

AlexMerced
good point

paulitics
11-22-2007, 09:01 PM
The one advantage to using a blimp over TV, billboards, radio, and print, is the guaranteed MSM and local media spinoff. It would be huge!
It would also be a good enticer to draw people to events.

Guaranteed? The same media that we acuse of an ongoing blackout, and bias against RP or libertairianism in general?

Proemio
11-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I agree that unique is good, to an extent. The reason companies keep spending millions of dollars on marketing via traditional media (print, radio, TV, outdoor, direct mail, etc) is because these methods of advertising ARE EFFECTIVE!

That's because they peddle traditional stuff to traditional targets, in a traditional fashion.

Since a revolution - this rLOVEution - is anything but traditional, it follows that traditional approaches are wanting from both the point of view of hits and as a generator of energy. Energy and inventiveness are the lethal weapon to get this done. The dark side is not lacking money, they are lacking energy and ideas.

Besides, people who are excited about an idea, will support that idea. Lobbying against it will at best create a bunch of posts/threads, because it does not follow that the money they spend on their favorite projects would otherwise go towards a traditional medium.

In the end, it all works, as long as stuff gets done... (see energy)

As for the blimp itself? I have no idea...

Ozwest
11-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Guaranteed? The same media that we acuse of an ongoing blackout, and bias against RP or libertairianism in general?

Oh well, might as well give up then. Never happen in a million years.

Man from La Mancha
11-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Yes, they like things that are different, it gets people to watch and the advertisers like that too.. Proof is the Nov 5th bomb.

noztnac
11-22-2007, 09:16 PM
How about a blimp over say...the University of South Carolina Clemson football game at Williams Brice Stadium, South Carolina?

leipo
11-22-2007, 09:26 PM

It's only effective if you're selling a product that people don't need. People do need Ron Paul, so this is different.

Man from La Mancha
11-22-2007, 09:28 PM
How about a blimp over say...the University of South Carolina Clemson football game at Williams Brice Stadium, South Carolina?
Yes give free or cheap access to the blimp for their cameras for sky cam shoots. There are many ways this blimp could generate 10x the money spent on it. Imagine the blimp over head for several football games for 3 hrs. Not only the people in the stands would see it, people from 3 miles around passing by on all major streets and freeways would see. And all the people watching on ESPN. You talk about signing street corners or putting up banners over freeways, this thing would Rock. Heck for 3-4 hrs in one spot how many repeat hits would it get from people going somewhere on the roads then coming back. Plus the Night lites.

leonster
11-22-2007, 09:32 PM

I remember exactly... 3 years ago, in Williamsport, PA, for the Little League World Series. It was a Met Life blimp.

Matt Collins
11-22-2007, 10:19 PM
That's because they peddle traditional stuff to traditional targets, in a traditional fashion.And do you know who votes? Traditional people!

If I remember the AVERAGE voting age is between 50 or 60 years old! That crowd doesn't surf the Net for their news, they read papers, they listen to talk radio, they watch the nightly news etc... Therefore we have to go after them, THEY ARE NOT GOING TO COME TO US!

Besides, people who are excited about an idea, will support that idea. Enthusiasm is the backbone of getting Ron the primaries, but if it is misguided then he loses. It doesn't matter if people give $20 million dollars, if it all goes into internet advertising for example then Ron will lose. We MUST utilize traditional media and advertising strategies.

In the end, it all works, as long as stuff gets done... No, it doesn't "all work" and "being busy" doesn't necessarily accomplish anything. Some tactics and methods work better than others. Some advertising is more effective at reaching certain demographics than others!

McDermit
11-22-2007, 10:29 PM
When is the last time you heard someone said "Oh hey, I saw a blimp today on the way to work," or ask "Hey, did you see the blimp at the SuperBowl?" Doesn't happen.

It's "Oh man, how 'bout that Budweiser commercial?" or "On the way in, I was listening to the radio and..."

Blimps don't make news, nor do banner-towing planes - unless they crash or have a naked woman painted on them.

Primbs
11-22-2007, 10:55 PM

These are not as effective as they used to be. That is why internet advertising and pay per click are taking off. Google is big because you can track with specificity the ROI on internet ad campaigns.

Many of the large corporations use the old media because it is institutionalized. They are used to doing the same thing every year even if they can't measure the effectiveness of the ads.

llamabread
11-22-2007, 10:56 PM
You guys seriously underestimate local news stations. Since the vast majority of us don't watch the local news at all, I'm not surprised. The simple fact is that local news stations will put anything on the air that is in the least bit special or interesting that happens in their city. You guys are right that FOX, CNN, and the rest won't be covering it, but the I assure you that every local news station anywhere near where the blimp goes would have a story on it, especially if they can get a reporter up in the blimp.

quickmike
11-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Heres another reason its bad.

http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/Led_Zeppelin_I.jpg

Imagine a Ron Paul zeppelin crashing down in flames on peoples heads. That would ruin him.;)

centure7
11-22-2007, 11:12 PM

On one hand, I actually buy into what you are saying. We need to target the following groups:
1. Arab Americans
2. Libertarians
3. Gun Owners/Enthusiasts
4. (suggest a group!)

On the other hand, it may be that the blimp does work as a cost-effective means of getting votes, because maybe millions of actual targets will see the ad over a month-long period. Furthermore, maybe the press that this blimp generates will be quite a lot. TV news watchers may be a group that tends to vote.

So off hand it does seem very untargeted, but maybe it ends up being cost-effective, like the 225,000 placemat ads for $900 total that end up targeting nobody in particular. In addition, many people simply hearing of Ron Paul may be valuable because name recognition is important in a campaign. So, even though they won't vote simply having heard of him could end up being valuable.

McDermit
11-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Heres another reason its bad.

http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/Led_Zeppelin_I.jpg

Imagine a Ron Paul zeppelin crashing down in flames on peoples heads. That would ruin him.;)

But but but.. he's a doctor! He could save them!

Scott Wilson
11-22-2007, 11:35 PM
$350,000 for the blimp?? Good grief.

You could purchase 300 Interstate HWY billboards for a month for that and still have $50,000 left over for targeted mailing campaigns of likely voters.

The blimp is nonsensical when you really think about it.

Novel yes, strategic no way.

Man from La Mancha
11-22-2007, 11:52 PM
$350,000 for the blimp?? Good grief.

You could purchase 300 Interstate HWY billboards for a month for that and still have $50,000 left over for targeted mailing campaigns of likely voters.

The blimp is nonsensical when you really think about it.

Novel yes, strategic no way.
Would the billboards be shown all over TV stations, could the billboards cause people to come out their houses to look, could the billboards inspire all sorts of contests for people to ride them just generating tons more PR, could the billboards hang over major sports events to be shown on national TV, could the billboards be unique as the 1st presidential candidate blimp in history, could the billboards be in places where billboards don't exist, could billboards cause whole small towns to come at it lands in their local High school football field, thus generate PR in that whole section of the state on local media including in newspapers that have to explain who Ron Paul is that all the old people read. Could the billboards be hovering all day over state capitals on primary day. And on verbatim. But to do it all at the same time would be best. Let the market decide and pick what one wants to support.

James R
11-22-2007, 11:57 PM

Matt, I think what you should do is actively promote giving money to targeted groups, but refrain from raining on parades, as you put it. Go ahead and pump out posts about who should be marketed to and how, but avoid saying "don't donate money to the blimp". Anyone who reads your postings would tend to donate to targeted ads over the blimp idea without you specifically creating conflict. Your post would have been great if it were about what groups to target and how. Instead you put controversy in there that doesn't really need to be there to achieve your goals of selective targeting.

noztnac
11-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Can't a blimp be rented?
Also what about sky writers or planes dragging banners above football games?

LibertyEagle
11-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Matt, I think what you should do is actively promote giving money to targeted groups, but refrain from raining on parades, as you put it. Go ahead and pump out posts about who should be marketed to and how, but avoid saying "don't donate money to the blimp". Anyone who reads your postings would tend to donate to targeted ads over the blimp idea without you specifically creating conflict. Your post would have been great if it were about what groups to target and how. Instead you put controversy in there that doesn't really need to be there to achieve your goals of selective targeting.

Well, I for one am glad he gave his opinion about the blimp. A lot of us do not have marketing experience.

McDermit
11-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Well, this parade isn't going anywhere anyways, it seems.

And FWIW, I'd pay to "ride a billboard." lol.

McDermit
11-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Can't a blimp be rented?
Also what about sky writers or planes dragging banners above football games?

The one they were considering the last I paid much attention to the details *was* a rental. And it only included 100 miles!

Primbs
11-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Freedom Blimp.

You can put the fundraising chart on the blimp.

http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003541691

http://www.winningstrat.net/CaseStudies/HorizonCaseStudy.html

http://www.landmarkcreations.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=12&id=85&Itemid=138

http://www.emcoutdoor.com/blimps.htm

http://ezinearticles.com/?Advertising-Blimp-Balloon---Conquer-The-World-With-Your-Ad&id=356784

tfelice
11-23-2007, 12:15 AM
20+ years in marketing. Researched targeted advertising always generates more "bang for the buck".

saahmed
11-23-2007, 12:22 AM
I agree with OP. I haven't looked into this blimp idea, but I think it will be ineffective. Spend the money more wisely by going by the advice given by the OP.

Matt Collins
11-23-2007, 12:34 AM
These are not as effective as they used to be. That is why internet advertising and pay per click are taking off. Google is big because you can track with specificity the ROI on internet ad campaigns.I sell and buy Google advertising in addition to other forms of media.

Keep in mind though that only 30% of registered voters are proficient on the Internet. That mean's 70% of our efforts need to be OFFLINE!

Matt Collins
11-23-2007, 12:37 AM
On the other hand, it may be that the blimp does work as a cost-effective means of getting votes, because maybe millions of actual targets will see the ad over a month-long period. Furthermore, maybe the press that this blimp generates will be quite a lot. TV news watchers may be a group that tends to vote.A single impression doesn't do much of anything. It must be multiple repeated impressions (known as frequency). A blimp will offer millions of people seeing something once. That is not targeted, and ineffective. Anyone who takes a freshman marketing class understands this.

So, even though they won't vote simply having heard of him could end up being valuable.That is indeed true. A buzz is always nice. But right now we need votes more than a buzz. And votes can ONLY come from registered voters, so we should target them!

Matt Collins
11-23-2007, 12:38 AM
But but but.. he's a doctor! He could save them!Oh the humanity.... :p

Primbs
11-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Looks like the Dean people were looking at it also.

http://c.1asphost.com/kona/blimp/

Matt Collins
11-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Matt, I think what you should do is actively promote giving money to targeted groups, but refrain from raining on parades, as you put it. Go ahead and pump out posts about who should be marketed to and how, but avoid saying "don't donate money to the blimp". Sorry - at this point I don't care about hurting people's feelings. My only goal is to win. If a few people get their egos crushed but Ron gets through the primaries, then that's what it takes (my ego included). This isn't about me, this isn't about you, this isn't about how people feel, this isn't even about Ron. It's about our country and putting it back on the right track!

I cannot stand idly by and watch fellow Ron Paul supporters throw away good money that could be better used elsewhere to get Ron elected. I have the knowledge and education and I am going to use every bit of it to get Ron elected.

transistor
11-23-2007, 12:40 AM
i agree.. a blimp is a ridiculous waste of money

Matt Collins
11-23-2007, 12:42 AM
20+ years in marketing. Researched targeted advertising always generates more "bang for the buck".

I agree with OP. I haven't looked into this blimp idea, but I think it will be ineffective. Spend the money more wisely by going by the advice given by the OP.

Thanks for your support. Please lets use our talents to get him elected!

James R
11-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Sorry - at this point I don't care about hurting people's feelings. My only goal is to win. If a few people get their egos crushed but Ron gets through the primaries, then that's what it takes (my ego included). This isn't about me, this isn't about you, this isn't about how people feel, this isn't even about Ron. It's about our country and putting it back on the right track!

I cannot stand idly by and watch fellow Ron Paul supporters throw away good money that could be better used elsewhere to get Ron elected. I have the knowledge and education and I am going to use every bit of it to get Ron elected.

Wouldn't your post be much better and more effective if it was titled: "Max out the grassroots bang for the buck!". It could still mention the blimp is not a good bang for the buck, but in a positive way instead of negative. What does your marketing marketing book say about positive vs. negative advertising?

Matt Collins
11-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Wouldn't your post be much better and more effective if it was titled: "Max out the grassroots bang for the buck!". It could still mention the blimp is not a good bang for the buck, but in a positive way instead of negative. What does your marketing marketing book say about positive vs. negative advertising?

No one would read it if I put a title like that on it. Controversy sells, or do you forget I have a minor in marketing ;) :D :p

Primbs
11-23-2007, 12:55 AM
I am not sure the campaign has enough time and talent and manpower for research targeted advertising. The campaign has been behind for months on answering emails, let alone segmenting the emails and upselling donors and encouraging volunteers to donate time.

This may be changing very quickly I hope. Most of the campaigns are overwhelmed this year. Even the top tier campaign are still trying to sign up people just to get on the ballots in many states.

I know McCain and Romney were out collecting signatures last week.

James R
11-23-2007, 01:19 AM
I am not sure the campaign has enough time and talent and manpower for research targeted advertising. The campaign has been behind for months on answering emails, let alone segmenting the emails and upselling donors and encouraging volunteers to donate time.

This may be changing very quickly I hope. Most of the campaigns are overwhelmed this year. Even the top tier campaign are still trying to sign up people just to get on the ballots in many states.

I know McCain and Romney were out collecting signatures last week.

I don't think there is much to research. Who we should target and how we should target is not much of a mystery. We should target Arab Americans, gun enthusiasts, precious metal investors ("gold bugs" especially), war protestors, military combat troops, medical marijuana industry people, and nutritional suppliment enthusiasts and employes. In second place would be value investors, currency investors, and NAFTA protestors. By targeting those groups alone we can win the election. If that campaign can't do this then let the chip-ins begin.

Matt: I recommend making a list of targets and the best places to target each specific group. I'd be glad to help you with such a list.

Paul4Prez
11-23-2007, 01:27 AM

In California, all Congressional districts are worth 3 delegates to the Republican National Convention -- including the heavily Democratic districts with only a few thousand registered Republicans. Far from being a waste, these would probably be the best places to campaign for Ron Paul.

Of course, with the numbers being relatively small in those districts, they could be targeted by canvassers on foot, as some Meetups have already started.

I think the blimp idea is creative and if people want to support it, it's their money. I think billboards might be more cost effective though.

Birdlady
11-23-2007, 01:42 AM
No it may not be "targeted"and it may not be the biggest bang for the buck, but it is unique. Unique is good because people remember it.
I think it is targeted enough that every single person who would see it, knows that we need a person in the president's position. haha

It's not like we are trying to sell push up bras or laxative (hehe) on the blimp where your target would be much smaller. That I would agree with, that a blimp would be stupid and not worth it. However, we are selling a man for the presidency of America.

I have never seen a blimp. I have seen tons of commercials that I remember nothing about. I have seen lots of billboards too.

If there are people who want to raise the money, then that's awesome. If you don't want to put in your money, then that's okay too.

Billboards can be a huge waste of money too. Only the big companies like McDonald's and Pepsi get returns on those. It's about repetition because billboards are easy to drive by without ever looking at them. Also does a billboard make you want to go home and research whatever it is on the billboard? The reader has to want to take action for it to be effective. Unlike a drink or food product, people see those and then just stop by at the convenience store for one. We are asking people to research Ron Paul and then vote for him. That's a lot to ask for on a billboard. :p

Can you remember every billboard you drove by this week?

derdy
11-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Sorry - at this point I don't care about hurting people's feelings. My only goal is to win. If a few people get their egos crushed but Ron gets through the primaries, then that's what it takes (my ego included). This isn't about me, this isn't about you, this isn't about how people feel, this isn't even about Ron. It's about our country and putting it back on the right track!

Touche!

devil21
11-23-2007, 02:30 AM
Haven't I heard this same complaint about the Granny Warriors and the Nov 5 moneybomb? Complain all you want but getting his name out to people who have never heard of him is worth a lot. This is why it is GRASSROOTS :)

Lord Xar
11-23-2007, 03:33 AM
300K wow...

That is alot of money to be used for promotion.

Check this. I can get 1.4cents for an automated phone bank call.

For 300K you can reach: over 2.4 MILLION targeted voters

Lets read that again... 2.4 million with a 60 second message.

OR

85K = US DAILY FULL PAGE
60K = LA TIMES FULL PAGE
70K = NY TIMES FULL PAGE

90K --> push into an early primary state TV RUN

bc2208
11-23-2007, 03:50 AM
Donate to campaign, if a blimp is the best idea, they can do it.

speciallyblend
11-23-2007, 04:05 AM
its a pledge so its not a waste,and if the pledge is met,its what people want,always someone, who thinks something is bad or a good idea. the money sounds like alot,but add in the untold media coverage and it becomes a very good idea. I say either way ,if the pledges are met,then it would be a good idea,since a pledge is just a pledge,but if met. I can Tell you a Ron Paul blimp would make every major media market. hell lets start a thread attacking others ideas,seems to be the norm in here,everyone seems to have an opinion on whats right/wrong or whats a good idea or bad,if that was the case we wouldnt be doing anything.

25 bucks is in my pledge,and i would be proud to donate more if the goal gets closer,just to prove my point id donate another 25;)

Man from La Mancha
11-23-2007, 04:07 AM
If the blimp can raise it's own money who cares, it's about people doing what they want, I'll find it hard to believe they can but more power to them. Start what ever project you want and if people fund it cool. Every project in these boards could work there are millions of people that will be for Ron.

Man from La Mancha
11-23-2007, 07:28 AM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1811/blimp3vz0.jpg

freedom_junkie
11-23-2007, 07:44 AM
- Its not going to get media attention. Point Blank! they don't care. When has the MSM ever done anything for Ron Paul. It will go unoticed. Nice originl idea though, keep going.

Tenbatsu
11-23-2007, 07:54 AM
I would agree with the naysers if this was a conventional campaign.

However, this is not a conventional campaign, so..

A Blimp? Why not?

Man from La Mancha
11-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Did the unusual Nov 5th get attention?? Media likes the different period.

Matt Collins
11-23-2007, 08:39 AM
I would agree with the naysers if this was a conventional campaign.

However, this is not a conventional campaign, so..

A Blimp? Why not?

Because the principles of marketing STILL APPLY!

Tenbatsu
11-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Because the principles of marketing STILL APPLY!

Yes, they do. Product differentiation, innovation, and, setting yourself apart from the crowd. These are all marketing techniques not being applied by the other candidates, but by the Ron Paul campaign and its grassroots.

A Blimp can fly over every major town in NH in a day and do it every day for a month. We get a two weeks of T.V. and Radio ads for the same price. The difference between these two "products" is that the conventional advertising route is completely swamped and inundated with ads from other candidates making it difficult to set yourself apart from the rest.

Our strength lies in our ability to break known campaign practices by taking risks other campaigns are not willing to take.

If we pit our strength against our competitors, who have more money and more brute force than we do, we will lose. We must circumvent their strength by utilizing alternate means of getting Ron Paul's message out.

I understand where you are coming from, but you must also realize there is another, valid, side to this argument.

Man from La Mancha
11-23-2007, 08:59 AM
can 35,000 do $10 a month?

PeacePlan
11-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Instead use the money to hire Chris Angel to turn a copy of the Constitution into Ron Paul and then back into the Constitution again.. Most likely a simple trick for him but it would be seen all over the world and youtubed to the top of the charts.. Maybe when he reappears have him dressed in garb like the founders I think people would donate to see this happen!

llamabread
11-23-2007, 10:53 AM
- Its not going to get media attention. Point Blank! they don't care. When has the MSM ever done anything for Ron Paul. It will go unoticed. Nice originl idea though, keep going.

Its not the MSM that we are trying to reach. It is all of the local news stations that will cover it. And people who watch the local news every night probably don't use the internet much, and haven't heard of Ron Paul. I'm not a marketing major, but it seems like introducing millions of new people to Ron Paul is a good idea.

Like I said, I don't have a degree in marketing, but I do drive down the highway everyday. I pass over 100 billboards, EVERY DAY. The only one I can recall is the coke one, and thats because I pass about 20 coke billboards. The last time I saw a blimp was the Goodyear blimp about 2 years ago. You talk about targeted advertising, but it seems to me that one blimp that everyone remembers is alot better than 300 billboards that everyone forgets.

speciallyblend
11-23-2007, 11:22 AM
kill thread geez beating a dead horse,if you dont want to help the blimp dont,if you do:)then do:) its plain and simple,enuff said now kiss and make up ,or ill tazer you all and throw flowers at you;)

PaulNation2008
11-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Name recognition is still a big issue though, and big advertising guestures like blimps can help change that. It creates buzz.

LFOD
11-23-2007, 12:14 PM
The main selling point for me is what people are going to *think* when they see a Ron Paul blimp. First of all, this has never been done in politics. So it has a huge originality factor. Second, blimps are something for MAJOR corporations. You don't see blimps - meaning REAL, giant manned blimps - for your local car dealership. So when you see it, you'd think "whoa - these guys are BIG TIME, maybe they are a real force"

A conventional marketing analysis on the effectiveness of blimp advertising versus others, I think is not accurate in this case. For the *next* guy who tries it, probably. But for the *first* one who does, especially if it's Ron Paul, totally different dynamic. How can you *not* talk about a Ron Paul freaking BLIMP? Its not like it's some insurance company. It's for a supposed "third tier" candidate. It says, like the money bombs "WE ARE FOR REAL, WE HAVE POWER, WE WILL NOT BE IGNORED, WE CAN BUY A BLIMP" :D

literatim
11-23-2007, 12:24 PM
TV ads in Iowa or hunting and firearm magazine advertisements would be a much better use of money.

Is a 15 second blurb on the local news really worth $300,000? It would be cheaper to advertise during the news. At least that way there would be no chance of the message being spinned.

Liberty Star
11-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Well said.

Margo37
11-23-2007, 08:14 PM
http://tinyurl.com/2r4gpr

BIG blimp flying over a few weeks ago, seemed very low in actuality, leaving the county airport less than a mile away. MetLife, would it be readable?

Matt Collins
11-23-2007, 08:23 PM
A Blimp can fly over every major town in NH in a day and do it every day for a month. We get a two weeks of T.V. and Radio ads for the same price. The difference between these two "products" is that the conventional advertising route is completely swamped and inundated with ads from other candidates making it difficult to set yourself apart from the rest. NH has "major towns" ? That's news to me! ;)

But in all seriousness, if it is JUST going over NH I think it might could work if the cost was maybe half or 1/3rd of the proposed prices.

The reason I say that is because in NH the uniqueness factor WILL play a part in that State.

Now - overall, I don't think winning NH is going to be THAT big of an indicator for us. After all Pat Buchanan won NH and look where he is. Pat Robertson won Iowa, and look where he is too.

Matt Collins
11-23-2007, 08:26 PM
The main selling point for me is what people are going to *think* when they see a Ron Paul blimp. First of all, this has never been done in politics. So it has a huge originality factor. Second, blimps are something for MAJOR corporations. You don't see blimps - meaning REAL, giant manned blimps - for your local car dealership. So when you see it, you'd think "whoa - these guys are BIG TIME, maybe they are a real force"Good point. As mentioned in my previous post, if it were only in NH for a day and were 1/2 or 1/3rd of the cost, then it might could maybe be effective for winning that state.

NH is such a small area to cover, and it is largely rural/small towns so people do talk to one another. And since so much political effort is focused on that state at the moment, this is one way to get above the noise floor because you are correct, it IS unique.

Outside of that, it is a patently bad idea. Any freshman marketing major can tell you why.

How can you *not* talk about a Ron Paul freaking BLIMP? Your emotions/ego are getting the best of you as well as many others. Emotions are important because they provide the drive, but we should be using our brains to formulate a strategy for success.

Man from La Mancha
11-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Good point. As mentioned in my previous post, if it were only in NH for a day and were 1/2 or 1/3rd of the cost, then it might could maybe be effective for winning that state.

NH is such a small area to cover, and it is largely rural/small towns so people do talk to one another. And since so much political effort is focused on that state at the moment, this is one way to get above the noise floor because you are correct, it IS unique.

Outside of that, it is a patently bad idea. Any freshman marketing major can tell you why.

Your emotions/ego are getting the best of you as well as many others. Emotions are important because they provide the drive, but we should be using our brains to formulate a strategy for success.
Why does this bother you so much, You seem to be the emotional one and pissing on someone else's parade. If people want to do it so what. What projects are you starting and why aren't you promoting them instead of bad talking some one else's attempts? It's easy to criticize but hard to find solutions evidently. If you could find a way for 35,000 people to give $10 a month to this, it wouldn't drain any funds from anything else, but for you to think of a way to do that is too hard, so just complain instead.

BrianH
11-23-2007, 10:30 PM
First time I ever looked in one of the blimp threads! If this idea gets funded I think it'd be great --- guerilla marketing a-la Greenpeace. You need a gimmick to get media attention and that should be the focus.

EotS
11-23-2007, 10:32 PM
People with advanced degrees in marketing are the ones still trying to figure out how Ron Paul is "using" the Internet.

I say go, go, go hard! (what movies has he been in?) :) to all of you with these wild ideas.

The Revolution is amazing.

Midnight77
11-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Like I said, I support the Blimp whole heartedly. People want change. And we've done a lot of novelty with this campaign so far.

This would be the first time any Candidate has used a Blimp. Combined with the event on the 16th and the money we'll raise, we are looking at a ton of Media Coverage.

Eric21ND
11-23-2007, 10:46 PM
$350,000 for 1 month of service? :(

I kinda like the blimp idea on theory, especially for the general election, but can you imagine the impact you would have if you pumped $350,000 into one key state! I bet you could win that state for Dr. Paul with a targeted media blitz....Iowa....South Carolina anyone? You could blanket every billboard, tv show, and radio.

Think of all the possible things we could do with that kind of money. I understand the blimp would get local attention but this is going to be in the dead winter of Iowa and New Hampshire...the summer would be so much better for a blimp ride.

We could come up with our own 30min Ron Paul documentary and run it every damn night in a certain state! Isn't that what got all of use here in the first place? Seeing Dr. Paul speak on youtube videos.

You could probably have better voter turnout at the primary if you went to the local mall and paid people $1 for every Ron Paul video they were willing to watch.

max
11-23-2007, 10:48 PM
the sheer numbers of people who see the blimp compenstae for the lack of targetting.......

please dont piss in peoples lemonade

Midnight77
11-23-2007, 10:53 PM
And besides ... it's not like only pedestrians will "see" the blimp. It will be on TV, in the magazines, in the papers, etc.

The message will be getting out. Bigger is better and this is something that can be used to make the Tea Party a smashing success.

Primbs
11-23-2007, 11:13 PM
One use of the blimp is to drop leaflets in a certain area. Dropping depreciating phony dollar bills or flyers about the deficit would ad to the media story.

noztnac
11-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Leaflets will piss people off. Many will view them as trash to be cleaned up. Also bad for the environment.

paulitics
11-23-2007, 11:40 PM
The idea is growing on me. Lets make sure we target NH, Iowa,SC, MI, NV first. I hope we do not spend much time in the backyards of Rudy, and Mitt, ie NY and MA. We should try to win states that are within reach but still challenging.

I think the originality of the idea will compensate for the high cost.

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-24-2007, 12:08 AM
I too say bad idea.
I did from the beginning and have simply ignored it since.

Target yes, ads NOW.

why waste money?

and a blimp does NOT "spread the message"
it simply has a name on it and a website. Most people wont go to the website and the few who do may not care for voting and feel like they just wasted their time.

Hit your local papers and get some air time!

Primbs
11-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Didn't the Ron Paul campaign start out with little signs around the country that said "Who is Ron Paul?", "Google Ron Paul."

People went to websites and started to follow Ron Paul, especially after local television stations did stories about the signs.

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Why does this bother you so much, You seem to be the emotional one and pissing on someone else's parade..Because it makes me angry when advice is given from several professional marketers and it is ignored which could cause Hillary to be the next President. This is a game, but the consequences of playing lousy isn't a bad score, it's losing to a socialist wanna-be tyrant who will increase taxes, bloat the government, attack Iran, and do her damnedest to establish a socialistic/communistic order.

If people want to do it so what.
Apparently they don't want to win as bad as I do because if they did they would do things a bit more intelligently.

What projects are you starting and why aren't you promoting them instead of bad talking some one else's attempts? It's easy to criticize but hard to find solutions evidently.Search posts made by me. Half are just sillyness, but the other half are dead serious explanations on how to win.

If you could find a way for 35,000 people to give $10 a month to this, it wouldn't drain any funds from anything elseYes it would because that money would be better spent in traditional media where traditional voters get their news!

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 12:23 AM
the sheer numbers of people who see the blimp compenstae for the lack of targetting.......With all due respect, you have ZERO idea of what you are talking about.

It comes down to this:
Quantity is NEVER a substitute for quality.

Ozwest
11-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Matt, You seem to be taking this a bit personally. Have you considered that you might be wrong about this?

Could the the excitement that is building around this project be indicative of the exact opposite of your "expert" opinion.

Eric21ND
11-24-2007, 12:31 AM
the sheer numbers of people who see the blimp compenstae for the lack of targetting.......

please dont piss in peoples lemonade
I'm not pissing on anyone's blimp. I'm just saying I think that large sum of money would get better play if devoted to another area. I would be more for the blimp if we weren't strapped for cash and hurting in places like Iowa and South Carolina. This blimp idea could work if it ever gets off the ground, if it does I'll be greatful. It's a big risk though. Like I said with that kind of cash I bet we could win several states.

EotS
11-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Then don't submit your money to this idea. Those who think it's good will contribute, and we'll see what it generates.

Delain
11-24-2007, 12:35 AM
-edit: deleted, I should have read more about the idea first-

Ozwest
11-24-2007, 12:36 AM
With all due respect, you have ZERO idea of what you are talking about.

It comes down to this:
Quantity is NEVER a substitute for quality.

Perhaps you ought to take a page out of the book of Sir Richard Branson or Donald Trump and put away the Marketing 101 book.

born2drv
11-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Hey Matt --- I tend to agree with you that targeted advertising is always better --- but in this case flying a blimp in say IA or NH is targeted... and flying it over specific types of events like say a bible convention (if there's such a thing?) or even a large democratic rally for example, would be very targeted.

I think this is money much better spent then other things people do around here like buy banner ads on generic websites, etc. We need ads in NH and IA very badly... and when people see a freakin BLIMP for Ron Paul, suddenly they start to believe maybe this guy can win, you know?

n/m i just read this thread some more... $200k is a lot to spend on a blimp LOL ... $10k maybe... $200k is way too much...

Delain
11-24-2007, 12:54 AM
-deleted-

Man from La Mancha
11-24-2007, 01:13 AM
It's people right to do with there money as they see fit. Multiple projects make sense. There is an unlimited supply of money and the more projects the more we can get. 1 million people x $100 = $100 mil. And Matt the money might not have come at all. The money bomb proved that. And far as pros or experts. Self proclaimed or Zion controlled colleges produced, I've learned not to trust at all. If I did what the doctor pro's wanted, my health would have been ruined and vital body parts removed yet I cured myself in other better ways. I will listen once but thats it, pros opinions are no gods to me. We would all still believe the world was flat if we listened to the "PROS". I appreciate advice, but once enough. And yes I want Ron to win also.:rolleyes:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9435/blackwsmallyh7.gif (teaparty07.com)..http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7607/brighton7jd8.gif (teaparty07.com)..copy,paste,linked to teaparty07.com

CurtisLow
11-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Read this.. Someone getting info off our forum.

http://www.nolanchart.com/article310.html

Ozwest
11-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Already its generated media.

Trigonx
11-24-2007, 02:41 AM
I think the blimp is a great idea, I know there are plenty of voters out there that know of Ron Paul but won't vote for him because they believe he can't win. If they see a Ron Paul Blimp they may think otherwise, and it also has the power to attract other voters. It may be costly, but I think its very beneficial. You never know what will come of it, just like November 5th, people expected 1-2 million, but we got 4.3 million.

Man from La Mancha
11-24-2007, 02:58 AM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9992/snakeblimp21axq6.jpg

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Already its generated media.

that can be someone from here writing an article to keep people on the wasteful track.

And if the owner is such a Ron Paul fan why is it $350,000???? (according to site and owner)

Cant we just buy like 30 Big Rigs and Ron Paul them all up and drive them cross nation all over?
Much better idea.

OptionsTrader
11-24-2007, 12:49 PM
This thread and the same people that are doing this across the site:

divisive –adjective
1. forming or expressing division or distribution.
2. creating dissension or discord.

Mods, get more active please.

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-24-2007, 01:02 PM
And if the owner is such a Ron Paul fan why is it $350,000???? (according to site and owner)

Cant we just buy like 30 Big Rigs and Ron Paul them all up and drive them cross nation all over?
Much better idea.

again reconsider.

as noted in another thread you can fly over a game for $750-900

we could fly over every single game from here to primaries and still have money left over to buy big rigs, trucks and cars to Ron Paul out.

real freedom riders covering states per day.

Ron LOL
11-24-2007, 01:13 PM

Snakes on a Blimp.

Anyway, if a blimp is really multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars, I think we can probably do better elsewhere.

AdoubleR
11-24-2007, 01:13 PM
again reconsider.

as noted in another thread you can fly over a game for $750-900

we could fly over every single game from here to primaries and still have money left over to buy big rigs, trucks and cars to Ron Paul out.

real freedom riders covering states per day.

I was going to stay silent on the issue, but these two posts sum it up... While it would be 'really cool' to get a blimp, I think it would be nicer for us then the undecided voters and the money should go to a better cause...

speciallyblend
11-24-2007, 01:16 PM
will pledge another 10 bucks just because i can,and i dont care what others think,i like the blimp and no one elses views are gonna change that,thats what ron paul would say

Tarzan
11-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Research reveals that statistics on the aerial effectiveness of blimps in quite impressive. Here are just a few examples:

1. In 1984, Fuji Film drove their market share from 7 % to 22% in only a 2-month period as a result of their aerial advertising campaign covering the 1984 Olympic games in Los Angeles. The campaign was so successful that Fuji is still using BLIMP advertising today - 20 years later!

2. In 1992, Kraft increased its sales by 87% in Germany alone during the Kraft Blimp promotion tour.

3. Studies indicate that in a typical city of about 1 million people, during a 5-day flight period, 65% recall the message presented on the airship.

http://ronpaulideas.com/images/blimpstadiumair1.jpg

We need to continue and expand ALL of our current efforts. But, we are NOT winning the war. It is essential to win the early primaries and we continue to lag in Name Recognition. Time is running out... we need to make a major breakthrough... this may be a "magic bullet".

Imagine seeing something like the image above on TV... imagine thousands of voting age college students seeing the message... imagine the immediate coverage available by the MSM... Imagine Ron Paul as President!

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-24-2007, 02:13 PM
there is a difference between Kodak Vs Fuji and Ron Paul vs who ever they already have in mind.

a blimp wont change anyones mind.
We need hundreds to thousands of ads in places all over to get the market.

what good is a singlew blimp in a few cities?

with those funds we could do a LOT more.

and if you're stuck on the idea of having vehicles instead of advertising then why not 50 big rigs?
driving cross country?

NOT together but alllll over on all the major interstates.
Much more ye reach that way and cheaper.

a blimp is all your duckets in one bucket.
but whatever, fuck it.
you guys know whats best, or in the case "cool"

Primbs
11-24-2007, 04:05 PM
All the advertisements cost extreme amounts of money. In the age of TIVO, we are not even sure if our voters are seeing the TV ads.

The ads may also be poorly made or unconvincing. Even if we spend the money, the campaign may not progress in the polls due to unimaginative or uninspired ads.

Ron Paul ads also compete with very highly produced ads of corporations and other presidential campaigns which have had bigger budgets up to now.

It is hard to have memorable or persuasive ads when there are slick ads running. Obviously some low budget ads can be persuasive, but that seems to be the exception not the rule.

After spending several million in Iowa, New Hampshire and Michigan a lot of money will be tapped out. Then we have a few more contests.

We could spend one million on South Carolina, three million on Florida about a week before super tuesday.

On Super Tuesday, twenty states hold primaries. Very few campaigns can afford to buy any significant TV or radio time with any concentration, intensity and frequency in all the large cities. How can we even spend one million for each state.

And of course California where you can spend twenty million all by itself or forty million. Prices for radio and TV time in the second largest media market in the country is huge. Then you have San Diego, San Francisco and the central valley media markets and you have no more money. You might get ads for one day if you can afford it.

We might have no choice but to do something which captures the attention of the free media and news.

After the campaign has raised twenty million total, a three hundred thousand dollar blimp expenditure might garner millions of dollars in news coverage. It is only about 2 or 3 percent of the entire Ron Paul campaign budget. The blimp will even be a smaller amount of the budget if Ron Paul raises 30 million for the entire campaign.

Otherwise Romney will probably tap into his fortune and spend 50 to 100 million of his own money to win.

Sojourner
11-24-2007, 04:06 PM
This thread and the same people that are doing this across the site:

divisive –adjective
1. forming or expressing division or distribution.
2. creating dissension or discord.

Reality is harsh.

Mods, get more active please.

So, you favor a police state when there is dissent? What in the world are you doing supporting Ron Paul if you really feel this way? :confused:

Sojourner
11-24-2007, 04:09 PM
there is a difference between Kodak Vs Fuji and Ron Paul vs who ever they already have in mind.

a blimp wont change anyones mind.
We need hundreds to thousands of ads in places all over to get the market.

what good is a single blimp in a few cities?

with those funds we could do a LOT more.

and if you're stuck on the idea of having vehicles instead of advertising then why not 50 big rigs?
driving cross country?

NOT together but alllll over on all the major interstates.
Much more ye reach that way and cheaper.

a blimp is all your duckets in one bucket.
but whatever, fuck it.
you guys know whats best, or in the case "cool"

Thank God for some clarity.

Sojourner
11-24-2007, 04:11 PM
http://ronpaulideas.com/images/blimpstadiumair1.jpg

Imagine seeing something like the image above on TV.

I would bet dollars to donuts that the networks would actively see to it that the above image would get ZERO air time.

stefans
11-24-2007, 04:13 PM
to all the people who favor traditional radio and TV ads:
you might be right. but we should leave that to the campaign. if you want to support that donate to the official campaign.

the grassroots are about cool things which show the amount of support ron paul has. like 5th of november, or like showing up in the 1000s at rallies(there is no value to that, except showing support, and I don't see anyone complaining that the traveling costs of attending rallies should be spent on radio ads.)

so you might be right that radio ads are more effective. but if we can finance a blimp with people who've maxed out and foreigners and a few people who just think it's a good idea we should do so. it won't hurt traditional campaigning.

constituent
11-24-2007, 04:16 PM
yeah, i doubt a blimp can be arranged in time, you'd be better off getting flyover planes and hiring someone to paint their bodies with an RP theme and walk around times square.

oh man, times square...

what's the plan for new year's eve?

OptionsTrader
11-24-2007, 04:18 PM
"I think ___ is a bad idea, you would be much better off doing ____"

These types of threads are a nuisance and detract from enthusiasm. People are going to choose, with their own money and effort and creativity, what to do. We do not need to try to define ideas as good and bad, let people vote with their dollars.

T206
11-24-2007, 04:21 PM

These types of threads are a nuisance and detract from enthusiasm. People are going to choose, with their own money and effort and creativity, what to do. We do not need to try to define ideas as good and bad, let people vote with their dollars.

Or contribute constructive criticism. No idea is perfect on its own, or cant be improved, be careful not to squash any positive contributions.

Sojourner
11-24-2007, 05:20 PM

Does anyone have any idea how many semi-truckloads of signs and banners $300K would buy and get on the ground where needed???

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 05:28 PM

Snakes on a Blimp:
"I've had it with these mothu....." :D

Ozwest
11-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Go start a business and make some REAL MONEY.

Lesson:Get some nouse.

If you want to be succesful: Don't be a show pony.

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Could the the excitement that is building around this project be indicative of the exact opposite of your "expert" opinion.Does the neologism "groupthink" mean anything to you?

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 05:44 PM
to all the people who favor traditional radio and TV ads:
you might be right. but we should leave that to the campaign. if you want to support that donate to the official campaign.Why wait for the campaign? If you can give money to something locally where you can see and even have a hand in the results, don't you think that would be better?

the grassroots are about cool things which show the amount of support ron paul has.I thought it was about winning. Like it or not, advertising on traditional media is what it will take. The average voter's age is like 60 and they don't make decisions based on new marketing techniques. They read the paper, and they watch the nightly news, and they listen to talk radio...

so you might be right that radio ads are more effective. but if we can finance a blimp with people who've maxed out and foreigners and a few people who just think it's a good idea we should do so. it won't hurt traditional campaigning.That money could be better spent elsewhere. It is not an opinion, it is a fact. For the amount of a blimp ($300k) I could guarantee a win in Nashville.

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 05:46 PM

These types of threads are a nuisance and detract from enthusiasm. People are going to choose, with their own money and effort and creativity, what to do. We do not need to try to define ideas as good and bad, let people vote with their dollars.Of course people are free to choose. They are free to make good choices or free to make bad choices. The blimp is a bad choice on where to donate in order to help RP get elected.

Besides, are you so close minded that you are unwilling to have others offer their professional advice?

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Or contribute constructive criticism. Search my post history. You will find MANY of my posts are very constructive.

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Does anyone have any idea how many semi-truckloads of signs and banners $300K would buy and get on the ground where needed???For that money I could GUARANTEE that Nashville swung for RP. For 2.5 times that I could guarantee ALL of TN.

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-24-2007, 05:52 PM
you would be better of buyikng a LOLcopter cause that's all this idea is.
a laugh.

now, back on track, getting supporters behind us.

for 300k, imagine how many cars like this we could have driving around major cities.
I bet they get more eye views then a blimp and talked about more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udzKtJjF5Ys

with a much better color scheme and design even for this money!

T206
11-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Search my post history. You will find MANY of my posts are very constructive.

Dude, I never said they (or this) isnt...its more of a heads up to those so quck to shoot down comments as being "just negative" like if people think something is a bad idea they are automatically a troll or just not supporting the cause. There is as much credit to be given to reshaping or modifying a bad idea as there is to coming up with a new one.

As long as people express their opinions backed up with facts and/or data to support it, Im all for listening and making an educated decision.

idiom
11-24-2007, 07:52 PM
The Blimp will not occur in isolation. If $350K was the total available for marketing then it is not such a great idea. However it going to be occuring in cohesion with tens of millions of dollars in conventional advertising.

Anybody who see the blimp will already have seen billboards and newspaper ads and handbills and marchers etc. So while it would opnly generate a little buzz on its own it will harmonically amplify the much more massive regular efforts.

Beyond that it adds something unique to the otherwise blithe pile of standard advertising.

Let a radio show to run their afternoon program from aboard the blimp and you just gained masses of radio airtime.

Let a journalist aboard and they are subject to some of the most effective propaganda around for hours.

Man from La Mancha
11-24-2007, 07:55 PM
The Blimp will not occur in isolation. If $350K was the total available for marketing then it is not such a great idea. However it going to be occuring in cohesion with tens of millions of dollars in conventional advertising.

Anybody who see the blimp will already have seen billboards and newspaper ads and handbills and marchers etc. So while it would opnly generate a little buzz on its own it will harmonically amplify the much more massive regular efforts.

Beyond that it adds something unique to the otherwise blithe pile of standard advertising.

Let a radio show to run their afternoon program from aboard the blimp and you just gained masses of radio airtime.

Let a journalist aboard and they are subject to some of the most effective propaganda around for hours.
I love that idea, a real captive audiance!!:)

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9435/blackwsmallyh7.gif (teaparty07.com)

asmartchimp
11-24-2007, 09:00 PM
I love the idea, but $350k for 100 hr is insane.

NewEnd
11-24-2007, 09:09 PM

By this logic, neither is a yard sign or a billboard, and yet I knwo form experience these are great at both creating name recognition, and conveying legtimacy.

I think the blimp is a great idea. It doe snot target, btu it is novel, and it could be seen by millions a month, for the cost of only 350,000 a month... which could be made up by people purchasing rides on the blimp.

Primbs
11-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Why wait for the campaign? If you can give money to something locally where you can see and even have a hand in the results, don't you think that would be better?

I thought it was about winning. Like it or not, advertising on traditional media is what it will take. The average voter's age is like 60 and they don't make decisions based on new marketing techniques. They read the paper, and they watch the nightly news, and they listen to talk radio...
Yes, Goodyear blimp has stood the test of time. The voters will read about the blimp in the paper, see it on TV and listen to live broadcasts on the radio.

That money could be better spent elsewhere. It is not an opinion, it is a fact. For the amount of a blimp ($300k) I could guarantee a win in Nashville.

There are hundreds of cities in early primary states that could use 300 thousand to "guarantee a win" for Ron Paul. A media campaign doesn't guarantee a win. Otherwise the campaign that spent the most money would always win.
What can aid in a win is an enthusiastic voter base and motivated voter base. A blimp could help with that. A series of ten ads in Los Angeles media market for 300 thousand might not amount to anything in that super saturated media market.

Drknows
11-24-2007, 10:55 PM
if you build it they will come

tangent4ronpaul
11-24-2007, 11:16 PM
We just talked about this on the National Organizers Conference call for about an hour with the people behind it in attendance. I was skeptical to leaning against it prior to that, but currently think it holds some great potential - If we can raise the money.

The big payoff is in media attention, both local and national.

-n

richk
11-24-2007, 11:36 PM
For that money I could GUARANTEE that Nashville swung for RP. For 2.5 times that I could guarantee ALL of TN.

For heaven's sake, why have you not shared this plan with all of us then. Lemme see, $750,000 / 75,000 meetup members = $10 per person for a GUARANTEED win in Tennessee!! Who would not donate to this plan?

Quit teasing Matt, please show us this plan. I am ready to pledge my money to you.:)

Biodemocracy
11-25-2007, 03:00 AM
Are you serious? Three hundred thousand dollars?

Geez, for me, I'd rather support having some well-placed billboards, targeted magazine ads (guns, homeschooling, small business, etc), radio ads, .......

To each their own, I guess.

Yeah like a massive billboard with a powerful Ron Paul message dead smack in the middle of Time Square or the Sunset Strip in Hollywood.

Biodemocracy
11-25-2007, 03:03 AM
How much does a blimp cost? What city will it operate in? What day and time will it fly?

I agree. But we need to get it out there to people who are likely to vote, and of that group it needs to be people who are able and likely to vote for someone like Ron Paul.

Yep like the Military, the Religious, and College Students! Those should be our main targets!

Matt Collins
11-25-2007, 11:24 AM
By this logic, neither is a yard sign or a billboard, and yet I knwo form experience these are great at both creating name recognition, and conveying legtimacy.But you forget to factor in the price. A yard sign is $5 a most.

You can get 70k yard signs for the price that you can get a blimp. Yard signs last longer and give more impressions over the long term. Therefore they are much more effective for the money even though they are not targeted.

Anytime you have to do advertising look at these two factors:
reach - how many people at once
frequency - how many times per person

A blimp is great at reach but horrible at frequency. Therefore it's a bad place to put money. We don't want to turn every American on to Ron Paul, we just want those who might vote for him.

Matt Collins
11-25-2007, 11:27 AM
There are hundreds of cities in early primary states that could use 300 thousand to "guarantee a win" for Ron Paul. A media campaign doesn't guarantee a win. Otherwise the campaign that spent the most money would always win.Let's put it this way. Ron Paul is such an easy sell because he appeals to so many different demographics and psychographics.

The problem is the marketing. Most voters have not heard of him. A large portion of the people who DO listen to what he says and understands the message, end up supporting him.

Therefore the sooner we can get the word out to people prior to them making a decision on who to vote for, the more voters we'll have. That means advertising as early and as often as possible. That takes millions of dollars.

What can aid in a win is an enthusiastic voter base and motivated voter base. A blimp could help with that. A series of ten ads in Los Angeles media market for 300 thousand might not amount to anything in that super saturated media market.The voter base is 100% important, however a blimp is a waste of money when that money could be better spent on more targeted advertising aiming at supervoters and others who are likely to vote in the primaries.

Matt Collins
11-25-2007, 11:28 AM
For heaven's sake, why have you not shared this plan with all of us then. Lemme see, $750,000 / 75,000 meetup members = $10 per person for a GUARANTEED win in Tennessee!! Who would not donate to this plan?

Quit teasing Matt, please show us this plan. I am ready to pledge my money to you.:)

I am still putting it together. It will take a few more days and hopefully not longer than a week. I have some people tasked with getting final quotes from TV and print media locally and one I have all the numbers in place I will start to get Nashville ready to vote for Ron Paul.

Matt Collins
11-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Yep like the Military, the Religious, and College Students! Those should be our main targets!We should go after:
Vets
Gun Owners
Christians
Anti-abortionists
Libertarians (assuming they have an open primary)
Traditional/fiscal conservatives
Independents (assuming they have an open primary)

Most college students don't vote.

Cali4RonPaul
11-25-2007, 02:47 PM
At first I thought we were going to purchase a blimp, and take it all over the country, Disappointed to see its just a rental for a month.

FireofLiberty
11-25-2007, 03:00 PM
So long as it gets media coverage and attention, it's a great idea. If it got enough coverage it could bring forth the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe even a million dollars worth, of ad time. Then, of course, there's the fact that people would see it flying wherever and then be motivated to find out who Ron Paul is if they don't know already, and so many people STILL do not know who Dr. Paul is...

Hook
11-25-2007, 04:11 PM
We should go after:
Vets
Gun Owners
Christians
Anti-abortionists
Libertarians (assuming they have an open primary)
Traditional/fiscal conservatives
Independents (assuming they have an open primary)

Most college students don't vote.

I think we already have the Libertarian vote locked up. All my libertarian friends are voting for Dr. Paul.

As for the blimp idea, I would say that we should let the market decide. There is always the possibility that "conventional wisdom" is wrong. It has happened before and will happen again. Read the book "Wisdom of Crowds" where it talks about how large groups can collectively figure out solutions to problems that are better than the experts, and are against conventional wisdom.

TVMH
11-25-2007, 04:17 PM
I agree with the "targeted frequency" position.

I'm guessing the applicable metric here is eyeballs-per-dollar spent.

If that's the case, that gets me to wondering about the efficacy of interstate and major-thoroughfare billboards.

I know they're expensive, but what is the return on investment in terms of eyeballs?

tangent4ronpaul
11-25-2007, 04:32 PM
rides... (like barnstorming - it seats 12 passengers)

get free publicity before hand via radio station contests for blimp rides.

get free publicity afterwards by inviting the media for rides

get goodwill by offering rides to GOP committee chairmen

get publicity during just by flying around.

it's going to keep moving, so potentially visit 30 cities - $10,000 a city isn't that outrageous. The campaign spent thousands for the venue in Philli, we spend $1,200 for a one hour banner tow and $900 on 50,000 fliers. that kind of puts it in a different perspective.

The campaign is spending $250,000 for radio and TV ads in each of the 4 early primary states and the blimp should be able to visit 3 of those as well as a lot of Super Tuesday states.

I was personally pushing for offering supporter pilots w/ aircraft to convert their plane into a sky-sign (scrolling banner of lights in the sky), giving them a ready made business, if they agreed to fly for us for the rest of the campaign regularly and for free. We could do that to 15-17 planes for the same money, or set them up for banner towing and send them through a class. Still, we couldn't do that before the primaries and it wouldn't have the potential to make national news like a blimp would.

The bottom line as to how good an idea something is, is if people contribute or participate - and supporters had pledged $63,000+ as of last night, this morning us was up to $98,000+, so it looks like people are voting with their pocket books to make this happen and I think it's going to make it.

-n

Man from La Mancha
11-25-2007, 06:28 PM
The voter base is 100% important, however a blimp is a waste of money when that money could be better spent on more targeted advertising aiming at supervoters and others who are likely to vote in the primaries.
You have one major flaw in your reasoning, your assuming a limited budget, lets do what you suggest and the blimp and anything else some one gets a good idea for. Many months ago in these forum an ad expert suggested at least 6 hits per person to change them. Lets hit them from every direction.

Matt Collins
11-25-2007, 07:58 PM
let people research and come up with their own decision.I am allowing people to research this. By posting facts about marketing people can read what is out there and decide for themselves. The good thing about freedom is that people are free to make good decisions as well as poor ones. But making an uneducated decisions is potentially harmful. That's why I am trying to explain to as many people as possible why the blimp is a bad idea and backing it up with facts.

FireofLiberty
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Matt, everyone knows your thoughts on the blimp by now. You post them in every thread about it. It's getting more than a little annoying and, yes, it is starting to become like SPAM. I can appreciate your strong opinion on this, but please stop.

thuja
11-25-2007, 08:20 PM

yes, it is! everyone will be talking about it. (instead of your favorite celebrities mishaps)

Sandra
11-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Matt, that sounds like a great idea. Research a different angle of "attack". They can get them from the air and you can get them from the ground! All angles are covered.

As soon as I can get these damned huge manitees stenciled I'll get them from the water!

Scott Wilson
11-25-2007, 10:18 PM

Matt Collins
11-25-2007, 10:24 PM
They can get them from the air and you can get them from the ground! All angles are covered.I'm sorry but that makes no sense what so ever. The blimp is not being frugal with funds, plain and simple.

TechnoGuyRob
11-25-2007, 10:27 PM
You don't get it.

I'm giving $25 for this blimp that I won't give to anyone else. Good luck getting all those $5000 pledgers to use those funds for something else. This isn't just goodwill. Everyone gets something out of this too: a chance to be in the first political blimp in history (not to mention for Ron Paul).

So, yeah, this is not a waste of money at all. People are willing to give money for this reason, but they might not for a billboard (I wouldn't; I'd hoard it for the 16th).

Please stop these threads.

llamabread
11-25-2007, 10:28 PM
The thing I have argued is that the stuff you propose is great, and thats why all of the meetups doing it and all of the chipins, but at a national level they don't get excited enough to donate. Its just that more people will donate to a blimp than to billboards.

Edit- You see, in technoguyRob's post, he is willing to give $25 to the blimp that he probably wouldn't have spent on something Ron Paul related otherwise

Sandra
11-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Matt, it was a joke.

You're taking yourself way too seriously. Start your own project, convince others to contribute, and quit telling others what to do. Say over and over again "GRASSROOTS, GRASSROOTS".

No amount of disagreement from you will get others to change their minds.

NewEnd
11-25-2007, 10:55 PM
But you forget to factor in the price. A yard sign is $5 a most.

You can get 70k yard signs for the price that you can get a blimp. Yard signs last longer and give more impressions over the long term. Therefore they are much more effective for the money even though they are not targeted.

Anytime you have to do advertising look at these two factors:
reach - how many people at once
frequency - how many times per person

A blimp is great at reach but horrible at frequency. Therefore it's a bad place to put money. We don't want to turn every American on to Ron Paul, we just want those who might vote for him.

A blimp could end up being free.... it could pay for itself with donation size ticket prices.

TechnoGuyRob
11-25-2007, 11:27 PM
A blimp could end up being free.... it could pay for itself with donation size ticket prices.

That's not a bad idea...to cover everything, looks like it's $275/hour/seat.

Hook
11-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Every idea I've seen on this board has had detractors and naysayers. And most of the ideas have ended up working better than even the originators had anticipated.

The thing is, no one has perfect knowledge of the market. Which is why decentralized markets work better than a few people making all the decisions. With the decentralized grassroots, different ideas can be tried and everyone can support the idea they like. Unlike the official campaign where you don't get to decide where your donation goes.

The best ideas will become apparent soon enough, and everyone will know it. The collective wisdom of the grassroots is greater than any one member.

So chill out Matt, and come up with your own project and market it to the forums.

Primbs
11-26-2007, 12:39 AM
The thing I have argued is that the stuff you propose is great, and thats why all of the meetups doing it and all of the chipins, but at a national level they don't get excited enough to donate. Its just that more people will donate to a blimp than to billboards.

Edit- You see, in technoguyRob's post, he is willing to give $25 to the blimp that he probably wouldn't have spent on something Ron Paul related otherwise

We need to be inspired to cast votes and inspired to be involved in the campaign.

A blimp will inspire us.

This will energize and maximize our base of support.

Rhys
11-26-2007, 12:45 AM
This is a PR STUNT. It's not an efficient media campaign. As a stunt, it's brilliant. As a marketing campaign, it falls flat.

I like the stunt.

Man from La Mancha
11-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Every idea I've seen on this board has had detractors and naysayers. And most of the ideas have ended up working better than even the originators had anticipated.

The.Hey Mr.Hook, one can not even tell when things will work in the Matrix:D

Matt Collins
11-26-2007, 12:09 PM
A blimp could end up being free.... it could pay for itself with donation size ticket prices.Good point, but that is a risk. Why spend money on a risk when you can spend money on a sure bet?

qwerty
11-26-2007, 12:11 PM

Have you counted the media coverage into that ?

Matt Collins
11-26-2007, 12:12 PM
This is a PR STUNT. It's not an efficient media campaign. As a stunt, it's brilliant. As a marketing campaign, it falls flat.VERY GOOD POINT. This is actually the most intelligent post I have seen to date defending the blimp.

This makes a lot of sense, but the problem is that airtime is not guaranteed. With paid advertising, airtime IS guaranteed. It would be real easy for them to ignore it. They do their best to ignore RP in the news and at the debates, a blimp wouldn't be that hard to ignore either.

So as I just said in my previous post, why gamble $300,000 on something that may or may not work, when $300,000 could ABSOLUTELY win us a specific number of votes?

ItsTime
11-26-2007, 12:14 PM
My thoughts exactly. Get $300k into New Hampshire and Iowa NOW! :)

VERY GOOD POINT. This is actually the most intelligent post I have seen to date defending the blimp.

This makes a lot of sense, but the problem is that airtime is not guaranteed. With paid advertising, airtime IS guaranteed. It would be real easy for them to ignore it. They do their best to ignore RP in the news and at the debates, a blimp wouldn't be that hard to ignore either.

So as I just said in my previous post, why gamble $300,000 on something that may or may not work, when $300,000 could ABSOLUTELY win us a specific number of votes?

Sandra
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't notice still billboards. Few people do. They just flash by only to be overtaken by the next text the driver reads. That's why there are hundreds even in high traffic areas that are blank or have "Advertise Here" sprawled across them.

Right Now.... name something you remember seeing on a billboard while driving today?

Even electronic billboards require the viewer to remain static for at least 30 seconds. These are far more attention grabbing and can transmit more bursts of information quickly.

Yard signs and mobile billboards will yield more results as signs are repetitive and mobile billboards stay in front/beside of a driver long enough to retain information. They can be flexible as to location and timing.

A blimp is weird, it's not something you see all the time. I will want to know who the hell is Ron Paul and why is his name on a blimp.

Rhys
11-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Everyone wants everything now.

A blimp is slow! lol

The thing is, we could spend 300K on a tv ad and people will see it and might remember. We couldn't run a good campaign for under 3mil... 300k is funny.

However, 300k on this blimp! shit, it's getting covered and it's not even paid for yet.

People will hear of the blimp and remember it. If they find out WE paid for it, even way way better.

If they see a Tv ad, even if we pay, it'll be more noise in the background.

Every marketer in the world (including me) is looking for a way to get above the noise. Everything ELSE. TV, Radio, old stuff works. No doubt.

However, marketers, like I said, are falling over themselves trying to think of ways to do what we're doing... create buzz and noise.

Trust me, 5th ave will take note of the blimp... don't you take note of 5th ave. We are honestly on the cutting edge of marketing. The blimp fits the "free market/ freedom" message. Therefor, it's not off brand at all.

There are no downsides.

This is an incredible use of 300k. seriously, there's a force multiplier on this being from the grassroots, being a BLIMP! and being new and cool. probably this is worth about $25 million.

Primbs
11-27-2007, 01:14 AM
New Hampshire and other targeted states are being inundated with tens of thousands of television ads and hundreds of thousands of mailers. Voters are starting to tune it out.

Ads are going to get more expensive to place as supply of low cost commercial slots dries up. Television stations are charging higher rates because Christmas advertising and political advertising have bought up all the commercial slots.

You need to show the proof that these media consultants ads can swing new voters to Ron Paul's side via expensive TV ads. There is no guarantee that the ads will work either.

rs3515
11-27-2007, 02:01 AM
Hmm ... for 300k, I could hire 300 people to canvass key districts for a week straight and pay them $25 per hour ... going door to door, talking to people, handing out literature, identifying areas where Ron Paul has support, and areas where it needs more attention.

Rhys
11-27-2007, 02:07 AM
Then your 300k is spent. You've identified stuff, and nothing to spend about it.

rs3515
11-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Then your 300k is spent. You've identified stuff, and nothing to spend about it.

Huh? Uh no, you've built direct name recognition, which is what he needs more than anything else. And never underestimate the importance of face-to-face conversations. The one thing that has puzzled me more than anything else is this (and I'd like to hear the opinion of others about this phenomena):

Why do so many grassroots organizers do everything in their power to plan events and activities which include ZERO human interaction? Is it just the culture of people on the Internet?

The most immediate connections are made by people talking to other people, face-to-face. If there's anything to be learned from the power of the Conservative Christian movement in the past two decades, it is this: personal connections motivate people to campaign and vote.

DrZ
11-27-2007, 02:32 AM
A blimp would kick some major advertising butt, and get media attention, and be something that no one could ignore, which would speak to the "electability" issue. Besides, the blimp organizers have negotiated a great price and short-term blimp contract.

rs3515
11-27-2007, 02:38 AM
A blimp would kick some major advertising butt, and get media attention, and be something that no one could ignore, which would speak to the "electability" issue. Besides, the blimp organizers have negotiated a great price and short-term blimp contract.

The point a lot of people miss is Ron Paul isn't a product ... he's not Coca Cola or Kodak or Met Life ... he's a real person. If you were trying to tell your friend that you just met a guy who was really cool, would you hand him an advertisement about the guy? Would you show up with a blimp?

No, you would have a one-on-one conversation and *tell* him, in your own words, why you think this guy you met is cool. I guarantee a personal endorsement (or going door-to-door and telling people you endorse a guy) is going to be 1000 times more effective.

Rhys
11-27-2007, 03:18 AM
every thing's a brand.

and any brand needs a combination of efforts to build it.

hand shakes, blimps and ads are all effective in making the person on election day think "Ron Paul" like they think "Pepsi" at the vending machine.

The blimp is on message to the brand in that is generates excitement among current supporters (customers) and peaks interest for potential supporters while demonstrating these qualities of the brand/message/campaign/guy

a. people like him enough to get him the worlds largest blimp. that's cool.
b. it says Ron Paul. that's cool.
c. it's a big ass blimp. come on, that's so cool.
d. it gets people excited to see the blimp or know it's there or see it on the news, especially if they already like Ron Paul
e. people who find out about the blimp will think it's cool... cause it is.
f. radio/tv and mailers are being sent out by the campaign. that doesn't mean we cant do more, but with a big chunk of change, running a tv ad is a drop in the bucket... a blimp is a blimp and it says Ron Paul.
g. it's an untapped medium. lol, right? who has a blimp? we're a message alone in the skies
h. it's so different that it'll work... like Led Zeppelin!
i. people getting a blimp is sooooo much different than the campaign doing it. people power get a blimp!
j. think of Rudy and Hillary's face when they see it! They aint getting no blimp! this will contrast that!
k. again, no one else is getting a damned blimp! only Ron Paul gets a blimp.

devil21
11-27-2007, 03:23 AM
The point a lot of people miss is Ron Paul isn't a product ... he's not Coca Cola or Kodak or Met Life ... he's a real person. If you were trying to tell your friend that you just met a guy who was really cool, would you hand him an advertisement about the guy? Would you show up with a blimp?

If I could show up with a blimp to show my friends the man I support for President, damn skippy I would! That is why the blimp pics are so funny....b/c it could actually happen. I'd like to tell my friends to look for the Ron Paul blimp over the DC Christmas Tree lighting ceremony.

Mark Mosconi
11-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I have mixed opinions on the blimp. It sounds like a really cool idea, but I'm not convinced that it is.

What we need are more tv and radio ads in every state, especially the early primary states. I just don't know how much attention this would get, or how much it would actually convince people to vote for ron paul. Some people undoubtedly would just look at the blimp and say "oh my god, those ron paul fanatics are off their rockers"

I'm not convinced. TV, radio, and print ads are a necessity. A blimp...that remains to be seen.

Matt Collins
11-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Ugh.... I can't believe how many people are falling for this

Sandra
11-27-2007, 12:43 PM
The Christian Conservative Movement has splintered royally. Even in my church I see Guliani bumper stickers in the parking lot. It's crazy!

Matt Collins
11-27-2007, 11:29 PM
The Christian Conservative Movement has splintered royally. Even in my church I see Guliani bumper stickers in the parking lot. It's crazy!
That's amazing!

See this thread on the topic of why religion may not matter in this election:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=35217&highlight=religion

dirknb@hotmail.com
11-28-2007, 03:04 AM
The blimp is not mutually exclusive with any of the traditional methods of marketing. For all of the naysayers, go ahead and start a drive to collect 300K for some TV & radio ads in your area and see if you can meet your goal in just over a week. Good luck. You can argue statistics about traditional advertising all you want, but you won't generate enough excitement from enough people to even come close to raising the same kind of money. The 300K in pledges wouldn't exist, and the thought of spending it elsewhere wouldn't even be an option. You are approaching this as if a pool of 300K is sitting there to spend wherever. I majored in marketing, have been self-employed for most of the last 25 years, and have done all of my own marketing and advertising. I pledged $100 towards the blimp simply because it is such an original idea, an initiative to raise 300K for TV ads in Nashville would not get a second look from me. And I definitely wouldn't have specifically come to RonPaulForums looking for information about it.

The traditional advertising mediums are definitely crucial and RP can't win without them, but big attention-getting stunts pay off as well. Save seats for local print and broadcast reporters and the blimp will generate coverage in those mediums for free in those local markets and expand the number of impressions. It could easily generate 300K worth of free local print and broadcast exposure. Any national exposure would be gravy. An equal amount spent on radio and TV ads would generate zero free news coverage, local or nationally.

This is such an innovative and unique idea it is totally worth the gamble. If you don't like the idea, just don't participate. Trashing the idea won't change the minds of anyone who has pledged, and it won't generate a pot of 300K to buy TV and radio ads.

Man from La Mancha
11-28-2007, 03:21 AM
The blimp is not mutually exclusive with any of the traditional methods of marketing. For all of the naysayers, go ahead and start a drive to collect 300K for some TV & radio ads in your area and see if you can meet your goal in just over a week. Good luck. You can argue statistics about traditional advertising all you want, but you won't generate enough excitement from enough people to even come close to raising the same kind of money. The 300K in pledges wouldn't exist, and the thought of spending it elsewhere wouldn't even be an option. You are approaching this as if a pool of 300K is sitting there to spend wherever. I majored in marketing, have been self-employed for most of the last 25 years, and have done all of my own marketing and advertising. I pledged $100 towards the blimp simply because it is such an original idea, an initiative to raise 300K for TV ads in Nashville would not get a second look from me. And I definitely wouldn't have specifically come to RonPaulForums looking for information about it.

The traditional advertising mediums are definitely crucial and RP can't win without them, but big attention-getting stunts pay off as well. Save seats for local print and broadcast reporters and the blimp will generate coverage in those mediums for free in those local markets and expand the number of impressions. It could easily generate 300K worth of free local print and broadcast exposure. Any national exposure would be gravy. An equal amount spent on radio and TV ads would generate zero free news coverage, local or nationally.

This is such an innovative and unique idea it is totally worth the gamble. If you don't like the idea, just don't participate. Trashing the idea won't change the minds of anyone who has pledged, and it won't generate a pot of 300K to buy TV and radio ads.Exactly. This is something a Matt programed conventional advertising would understand.

Matt Collins
11-28-2007, 11:51 AM
The blimp is not mutually exclusive with any of the traditional methods of marketing. Of course, but the point is that money could be better spent elsewhere. The blimp in and of itself isn't a bad idea, the return compared to the cost of it however is what makes it ineffective.

I majored in marketing, have been self-employed for most of the last 25 years, and have done all of my own marketing and advertising. I pledged $100 towards the blimp simply because it is such an original idea, You should ask your college for your money back.

The traditional advertising mediums are definitely crucial and RP can't win without them, but big attention-getting stunts pay off as well. Save seats for local print and broadcast reporters and the blimp will generate coverage in those mediums for free in those local markets and expand the number of impressions. It could easily generate 300K worth of free local print and broadcast exposure.Absolutely, but there is no guarantee. Buying ads guarantees airtime.

This is such an innovative and unique idea it is totally worth the gamble. It is not a frugal use of funds. "Gambling" on something like this is probably not something Dr Paul would do. I get the point, but why gamble when that amount of money could be used for guaranteed results?

dirknb@hotmail.com
11-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Of course, but the point is that money could be better spent elsewhere. The blimp in and of itself isn't a bad idea, the return compared to the cost of it however is what makes it ineffective.

You should ask your college for your money back.

Absolutely, but there is no guarantee. Buying ads guarantees airtime.

It is not a frugal use of funds. "Gambling" on something like this is probably not something Dr Paul would do. I get the point, but why gamble when that amount of money could be used for guaranteed results?

You just really don't get it do you?

TechnoGuyRob
11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Sorry, Matt.

The blimp flies. :D

Matt Collins
11-28-2007, 01:05 PM
You just really don't get it do you?

No, I DO get it, which is why I understand it's a bad idea because the money can be better spent elsewhere.

Rhys
11-28-2007, 02:46 PM
if you want to team up, we could raise money for a targeted ad campaign the same way the blimp team is doing it.

dirknb@hotmail.com
11-28-2007, 04:02 PM
if you want to team up, we could raise money for a targeted ad campaign the same way the blimp team is doing it.

I think that is a great idea. And I'll help spread the word if you do.

The difference between the two, is that the blimp thing is special and will inspire people to dig a little deeper to be a part of it and make it happen. And you get a chance to ride in it. It's not money that would be going towards commercials, it's drinking money. Arguing about a better use of it is a waste of time. Without the wow factor of the blimp idea or something similarly extraordinary, it would not exist.

ab25db
11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
I have to 2nd this comment..

This is more of a media stunt, which is good but with deadlines approaching we need targeted campaigns.

A Robo call campaign for example can call 17,500,000 people (for the $350k) anywhere is the country and we can target registered voters in which ever party we choose.

See www.RonPaulMarketing.com for more info on how to contribute.

-dan

dirknb@hotmail.com
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
A Robo call campaign for example can call 17,500,000 people (for the $350k) anywhere is the country and we can target registered voters in which ever party we choose.

See www.RonPaulMarketing.com for more info on how to contribute.

-dan

How effective is it?

I think a little more info on the website about how it works, what the message is, etc. would probably help your cause.

craezie
11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Robocalls are BOOORING. I hang up before the Robo gets through the first sentence.

Red, white and blue flyers are BOOORING. I throw them away with about 20 other pieces of junk mail without even looking.

Political commercials are BOOORING. I put the tv on mute because I don't want to hear the drone.

The only people you reach with the "traditional" targeted kinds of campaigns are people who had too much time on their hands. Not the kind of people who are busy, working, productive members of society. Not the kind of people who will vote for Ron Paul. Not people who are jaded by years of listening to phoney politicians.

Ron Paul is utterly unique. His message is unique. Why not do something unique that will get the attention of people who might not be reached by the BOORING advertisements everyone else uses?

Rhys
11-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Ok, this is cool. Do we just do pledges until we can start one of those 527s or whatever?

Rhys
11-28-2007, 06:08 PM
We're doing this because we can... we can't just do stunts, although the blimp is awesome.

I foresee the message being this: robo callers will diffuse Ron Paul myths and point to targeted magazine ads which will also dispel ron paul myths.

newspapers will run on short notice to time with events.

This is all assuming we raise $1 mill, which I will make our target. I'm torn on micro targeting Iowa or netting name recognition for General Election appeal... I know that sounds odd, but a lot of people still want a republican who can win. That's why a general elections electability campaign is desirable to me for primaries.

Matt Collins
11-28-2007, 11:20 PM
The only people you reach with the "traditional" targeted kinds of campaigns are people who had too much time on their hands. Not the kind of people who are busy, working, productive members of society. Not the kind of people who will vote for Ron Paul. Not people who are jaded by years of listening to phoney politicians
Are you are aware that the average voting age is something between 50-60 years old?

How do you think they get their news? Talk radio, newspaper, and the nightly news on TV. We MUST use traditional media to reach the average voter.

Rhys
11-28-2007, 11:25 PM
I have a feeling we'll be able to get 20's and 30's people to the booth without much effort. These people have grown up with the computers, and will have an easier time coordinating get out the votes on the correct day. We'll spam the primaries, so to speak. There's major buz. I know this doesn't mean everything, but it's a good advantage to have.

However, our target will be dispelling myths for those who read nasty things in the same place as our ad.

raiha
11-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Just watching your dollar slide down the slippery slope. As it slides, so my aspirations rise to contribute...
i think its a great idea for the novelty, wacko aspect.(They want wacko...we'll give them wacko!) It seems many articles are mentioning just the idea of it already so it captures the popular imagination. Also i think its bad to do U-turns in the middle of a project. Don't want to be wacko AND flakey!
Anyway its not the blimp so much as all the lovely footage of the blimp. You could even dress some people up to look like Thomas Jefferson and Maddison to launch it.

FUN!! You gotta make people laugh and feel relaxed enough to break out of old voting behaviour.

I don't have a degree in marketingBTW

dirknb@hotmail.com
11-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Are you are aware that the average voting age is something between 50-60 years old?

How do you think they get their news? Talk radio, newspaper, and the nightly news on TV. We MUST use traditional media to reach the average voter.

I totally agree with you on this. There is room for both though. It's like having a diversified investment portfolio. Some holdings are risky and bold, some are conservative and traditional.

Matt Collins
11-29-2007, 07:55 PM
I totally agree with you on this. There is room for both though. It's like having a diversified investment portfolio. Some holdings are risky and bold, some are conservative and traditional.

Good point and that makes sense. But since we are on the short end of the fundraising stick compared to Romney and Rudy, I think we should still continue to do what is known to work. If we had more money than anyone else, then yeah I would say diversifying to experimental efforts as you have mentioned would be an okay thing to do. However right now it is not a prudent use of funds.

dirknb@hotmail.com
11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Good point and that makes sense. But since we are on the short end of the fundraising stick compared to Romney and Rudy, I think we should still continue to do what is known to work. If we had more money than anyone else, then yeah I would say diversifying to experimental efforts as you have mentioned would be an okay thing to do. However right now it is not a prudent use of funds.

The bulk of it should definitely go to the traditional mediums, and is.

Also keep in mind that Romney and Rudy probably have a grand total of about $100 spent by grassroots supporters outside of their official campaigns. RP has raised almost $20M total officially, but who knows what the total amount spent by the grassroots on top of that is except that it's a shitload. Rudy only has one Meetup group, and it's one that I set up in an attempt to educate Rudy supporters(automatic welcome email message directing them to a website we set up recently). Mitt Romney has a whopping six, and one of those is mine as well.

Matt Collins
11-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Also keep in mind that Romney and Rudy probably have a grand total of about $100 spent by grassroots supporters outside of their official campaigns. RP has raised almost $20M total officially, but who knows what the total amount spent by the grassroots on top of that is except that it's a shitload. Rudy only has one Meetup group, and it's one that I set up in an attempt to educate Rudy supporters(automatic welcome email message directing them to a website we set up recently). Mitt Romney has a whopping six, and one of those is mine as well.LOL :D

Ozwest
11-30-2007, 12:47 PM

F*ck Prudent.

Diversify.

Experiment.

Get carried away with your own self importance.

Proemio
11-30-2007, 02:01 PM

And that's precisely the kind of thinking that makes "marketing" such a nuisance.

Marketing is all about bureaucratic formulas which are about as useful as those of the government.

Advertising - on the other hand - is about vision, innovation and daring...

"What worked yesterday will get you yesterday's result." - moi

Ozwest
11-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Oh Oh Matt, Looks like Proemio did the advertising course.

And the rest of us rely on superfluous shit...

Proemio
11-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Oh Oh Matt, Looks like Proemio did the advertising course.

Much less dangerous than a course, where you might get educated...

I started in advertising by cleaning ashtrays, getting coffee+ and cutting galleys 12 hours a day for some of the greats in the business. An old-fashioned apprenticeship; some 40 years ago. Eventually, one of them let me touch a pencil, then a pen - the rest is opinionated history and great fun...

Rhys
11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm still working on getting quotes for ads, they're starting to come in.

Since the blimp is up to half a million, I'm going go ahead with our conventional ads fundraiser.

I did just get quoted for the Wall street Journal... $215k. I kinda want to run a full page on Dec. 16 in the journal... what do you think as that for our debut? (assuming we can raise the cash, which I am assuming. I'll have a site up as soon as I can get to it. trying like hell today.)

Again, I'm setting a 30 day, $1 million target. Is this crazy?

Also, if we hit 1mil, the WSJ ad would be 1/5 of that. That will be leaps and bounds the most expensive.. but is it enough bang? We can figure it out if we get the money, I guess... but I do like the target market of the Journal for Paul's case... especially on THE money day... tea party.

Matt Collins
11-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Marketing is all about bureaucratic formulas which are about as useful as those of the government.No, marketing is a science.

Advertising - on the other hand - is about vision, innovation and daring...Advertising is a form of marketing.

Matt Collins
11-30-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm still working on getting quotes for ads, they're starting to come in.

Since the blimp is up to half a million, I'm going go ahead with our conventional ads fundraiser.

I did just get quoted for the Wall street Journal... $215k. I kinda want to run a full page on Dec. 16 in the journal... what do you think as that for our debut? (assuming we can raise the cash, which I am assuming. I'll have a site up as soon as I can get to it. trying like hell today.)

Again, I'm setting a 30 day, $1 million target. Is this crazy?

Also, if we hit 1mil, the WSJ ad would be 1/5 of that. That will be leaps and bounds the most expensive.. but is it enough bang? We can figure it out if we get the money, I guess... but I do like the target market of the Journal for Paul's case... especially on THE money day... tea party.

I think you should spend the ads in an area that needs the support. That much money could buy almost a months worth of advertising in almost any major city. It is all about multiple impressions over time (known as frequency). THIS is what changes peoples minds.

Matt Collins
11-30-2007, 07:17 PM
F*ck Prudent.I think Ron would disagree with you. :(

RlxdN10sity
11-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Ok, I am not a marketing genious like Collins, but here are my 2 cents. Many of you know that alot of the support for Ron Paul comes from people who have never cared to bother with voting for the lesser of two evils. I personally am one of those people. I have never been so inspired by a presidential candidate that I would bother voting for them over someone else. I am not only inspired to vote for Ron Paul, I talk to everyone I can about him, I have spent hundreds of dollars printing out tri-folds and flyers, I give them tri-folds and fliers, I have donated multiple times to HQ, I find myself constantly scanning MSM for coverage on him, and I have concluded that I am officially addicted to the message and the man. You never would have exposed me to his message through targeted advertising because I would not be found on any list of targets you might aquire through traditional marketing resources. I personally feel Ron Paul is going to be elected in no small part due to people who have never been inclined to participate in politics being exposed to his message and character and taking action they have never taken. The first impression about Ron Paul for me was, something is different about this guy. I probably should at least look into him. A blimp is certainly something different. We are not selling gaming consoles or lawn furniture that is 20% off. We are letting people know that something truly different and real is now available for them to be a part of. There has never been a supporter funded frickin blimp with a candidates name and message on it floating around the country. People will wonder why supporters feel so strongly about this guy that they would spend this kind of money. Of course we have donated more to HQ than this blimp will cost but the "Money Toward Freedom" counter is not in these peoples faces. It will in my estimation at least bring postive exposure to the campaign equal to or greater than the amount it costs to fund. A blimp is different, this campaign is different and Ron Paul is different. Go Ron Paul!

ronpaulfan
11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Everyone I've told thinks the Blimp it is the coolest idea ever

Everyone on the news will be talking about Ron Paul's blimp

Everyone voting will respect and envy Ron Paul for having his own blimp

And, Blimp > Chuck Norris

The OP is wrong about it not targeting the right audience. I 100% guarantee Everyone voting in the primaries will know Ron Paul has his own blimp. The *viral* nature of this marketing tool is bigger than anything anyone has ever utilized.

Why does this thread keep popping up? It has been debunked for a while :confused:

*presses "Submit Reply" and watches the thread go to the top :D*

wxflyguy
11-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I find it funny how there are 250 threads about arguing for/against the blimp. I think it's pretty safe to say that - barring any major SNAFUs with false pledges - the blimp? The blimp idea is what is going to be used.

Whether some think it is a waste of money or not, when the decision is made by "the powers that be" who are motivating everyone, it's time to rally behind that idea with full force. I'm all for trying the other ideas too if we can get someone else to take that ball and run with it.

This'll be exciting...looking forward to seeing this thing on TV in a couple of weeks!

Matt Collins
11-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Everyone I've told thinks the Blimp it is the coolest idea ever"Cool" does NOT = win

Everyone on the news will be talking about Ron Paul's blimpWe will be of course. But we can't guarantee that the media will be.

Everyone voting will respect and envy Ron Paul for having his own blimpNot hardly. You are living in dreamland.

The OP is wrong about it not targeting the right audience. I 100% guarantee Everyone voting in the primaries will know Ron Paul has his own blimp. With all due respect, you are ignorant.