PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! CCSF (City College of San Francisco) at risk of closing!

Vanilluxe
02-12-2013, 12:32 AM
I know many of you hate schools and prefer homeschooling, but the fact is that this is not reality for everyone, colleges still serve useful purpose especially for me and all the other kids at my age. CCSF is put on the sanction list and might or might not lose its accreditation and must close in the end if they do. I love CCSF and I need CCSF or all the things they have taught me including insulting people in French (Mangez du les toilettes, tu cul bets! Translation: Eat from the toilets you stupid ass!) or how to cook Turkish cuisine! If CCSF closes, there will be over 34,000 students without a school and will be detrimental to education in the Bay Area. There has to be something that can prevent the chaos that is unfolding! Right!? :confused:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/education/2013/02/ccsf-officials-say-progress-accreditation-deadline-coming-slowly

TheTexan
02-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Sorry, I can't really help you with your efforts to steal money to create unemployed debt slaves

Vanilluxe
02-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Sorry, I can't really help you with your efforts to steal money to create unemployed debt slaves

Thanks for making me feel more...depressed

Occam's Banana
02-12-2013, 01:15 AM
C'mon! Just this once ... ?

bolil
02-12-2013, 01:19 AM
Accreditation is one of the reasons education has become such a travesty.

Aeroneous
02-12-2013, 01:22 AM
I know many of you hate schools and prefer homeschooling, but the fact is that this is not reality for everyone, colleges still serve useful purpose especially for me and all the other kids at my age. CCSF is put on the sanction list and might or might not lose its accreditation and must close in the end if they do. I love CCSF and I need CCSF or all the things they have taught me including insulting people in French (Mangez du les toilettes, tu cul bets! Translation: Eat from the toilets you stupid ass!) or how to cook Turkish cuisine! If CCSF closes, there will be over 34,000 students without a school and will be detrimental to education in the Bay Area. There has to be something that can prevent the chaos that is unfolding! Right!? :confused:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/education/2013/02/ccsf-officials-say-progress-accreditation-deadline-coming-slowly

Unfortunately I just don't see anything that can be done. I don't know what it is with schools in California mismanaging their funding so badly, but they're good at it. The Cal State and UC systems are going broke at a pretty alarming rate (Cal State in particular). Are you in a degree program, or just taking classes that you enjoy? If in a degree program, is there no neighboring school that you can transfer to?

Vanilluxe
02-12-2013, 02:25 AM
Unfortunately I just don't see anything that can be done. I don't know what it is with schools in California mismanaging their funding so badly, but they're good at it. The Cal State and UC systems are going broke at a pretty alarming rate (Cal State in particular). Are you in a degree program, or just taking classes that you enjoy? If in a degree program, is there no neighboring school that you can transfer to?

I really really want to go to University of San Francisco, Cal Poly Ponoma, CSU Long Beach or University of Las Vegas to get a hospitality degree so I can open up my own dream hotel resort!!!! Other colleges will be EXTREMELY crowded with 30,000 more students flushing in from San Francisco. I must reach my dream. No libertarian shall stop me even if it is more government!

KingRobbStark
02-12-2013, 02:28 AM
I really really want to go to University of San Francisco, Cal Poly Ponoma, CSU Long Beach or University of Las Vegas to get a hospitality degree so I can open up my own dream hotel resort!!!! Other colleges will be EXTREMELY crowded with 30,000 more students flushing in from San Francisco. I must reach my dream. No libertarian shall stop me even if it is more government!

Da fuk?

Vanilluxe
02-12-2013, 02:30 AM
Da fuk?

A degree about hotel/restaurant management and how to run other aspects of a tourism or what we call hospitality industry.

noneedtoaggress
02-12-2013, 02:39 AM
Well if the answer is more government why not just cut to the chase and do it yourself?

You could mug your neighbors, or threaten the school until they just give you a degree, or just hold an already existing hotel hostage and run it however you want!

:toady:

Vanilluxe
02-12-2013, 02:41 AM
Well if the answer is more government why not just cut to the chase and do it yourself?

You could mug your neighbors, or threaten the school until they just give you a degree, or just hold an already existing hotel hostage and run it however you want! :toady:

That is less government as you will diminish gov power that way. Submitting peacefully then Pelosi and Gov. Brown shall reward you well ;)

noneedtoaggress
02-12-2013, 02:47 AM
I'd beg to disagree, considering they'd use it as an excuse to employ and probably even further empower their SWAT teams and use it as an excuse to write some new laws. Oh and the praises they'll receive. They love aggressive violence whenever it suits them, however it suits them. As long as you're no real threat to their power it will be a glorious crisis. No diminishing here. Just a minor competing criminal aggressor which can be used to further legitimize the perception of their own systemic monopoly.

Vanilluxe
02-12-2013, 02:53 AM
I'd beg to disagree, considering they'd use it as an excuse to employ and probably even further empower their SWAT teams and use it as an excuse to write some new laws. Oh and the praises they'll receive. They love aggressive violence whenever it suits them, however it suits them. As long as you're no real threat to their power it will be a glorious crisis. No diminishing here. Just a minor competing aggressor which can be used to legitimize their own monopoly.

Then how will I achieve my dream of graduating with my hospitality degree and opening up a hotel resort? I'm 18, please don't say I have nothing else ahead of me...

noneedtoaggress
02-12-2013, 03:02 AM
I'm sure you can figure out how to open up a hotel resort, but let me give you a start-

The first rule of hospitality:

Don't use or support violence against peaceful individuals.

;)

Confederate
02-12-2013, 03:29 AM
Accreditation is one of the reasons education has become such a travesty.

Not just education, look at professions that require accreditation: lawyers and doctors, two professions less honorable than prostitution these days.

Confederate
02-12-2013, 03:29 AM
I'm sure you can figure out how to open up a hotel resort, but let me give you a start-

The first rule of hospitality:

Don't use or support violence against peaceful individuals.

;)

What if it's an S&M resort?

noneedtoaggress
02-12-2013, 03:54 AM
What if it's an S&M resort?

lol

ok i guess i should have prefaced that with "coercive"

Lucille
02-12-2013, 09:16 AM

LOL NAU (http://hrm.nau.edu/) has a good HRM program. It was my minor.

TonySutton
02-12-2013, 09:22 AM
The school was given 9 months to get their act together for accreditation, if the administration was in the least concerned they would have moved mountains to make sure they could stay in business and continue to support their customers.

sailingaway
02-12-2013, 09:25 AM

This looks like it is only the first step. If they were told in July to make 'profound changes' I would assume they would be expected to be 'progressing satisfactorily' and not 'completed in the process' by this report. Not knowing what they were supposed to do, I don't know that any of us can see how much they did, but if July was the first time they were threatened that they 'might' lose accreditation, I would expect the process to unfold a bit more. I would at least expect a more directed 'from your plan I expect to see [specifics] done by [date] with [additional specific] added or you will lose it.' type of decree. I can't say for sure, obviously, knowing only what you put in your link but it sounds like by having a 'liason' it means they are working with someone at the decision making body who kinda knows where they are in the process.

The idea is to improve the education, not close the college though, from what I can tell.

pochy1776
02-12-2013, 09:30 AM

your'e a smart person. Don;t think you can;t Get into UCLA or any good college in California. There is still Pepperdine.

pcosmar
02-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Then how will I achieve my dream of graduating with my hospitality degree and opening up a hotel resort? I'm 18, please don't say I have nothing else ahead of me...

"The way to be, is to do"

How did people open Hotels when there was no degree?
If you want to learn,, work at a Hotel,, learn the business. Save your money.
Buy Property. Open Hotel.

:cool:

I have a nephew doing just that,, started as a desk clerk and is now in management of a major chain.

thoughtomator
02-12-2013, 09:48 AM
If we had a quarter of the number of colleges that we have today, it would still be ten times more than can serve any useful purpose.

What you should have complained about is that your pre-college education was crap and didn't prepare you to be a productive human being.

phill4paul
02-12-2013, 09:54 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mapkxq56Gb1rdyzl6o1_500.gif

tasteless
02-12-2013, 09:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w

Aeroneous
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM

I started my degree at Cal Poly SLO.. Pomona is an awesome campus as well. I really don't know too much about CSULB... which is weird considering my grandparents went there. UNLV is probably your best bet amongst the choices you've listed. The school has some big name alumni in the hospitality and culinary industries, and their hospitality (hotel management, specifically) programs do some really unique things outside of the classroom. My cousins graduated from UNLV, and they frequently went on trips with the hospitality folks. On one trip, all the hotel management majors toured hotels, wine vineyards, and top restaurants in several European countries. The cost for UNLV is also relatively low, and if you happen to know anyone in San Bernardino County who would be willing to let you use their address you might be able to get NV resident tuition. They were extending resident tuition to San Bernardino County residents when one of my cousins enrolled, and he saved a ton of money. Housing in the area is very cheap, and it's a very fun city to go to school in. Finally, Las Vegas is a city based almost entirely on hospitality. You have some really big name hotels in the area which could give you opportunities for internships and employment to learn the trade after graduation. The economy in Las Vegas overall isn't great, but I hear it's really not too bad if you're okay with working in the hotels. I know quite a few UNLV grads, and every single one of them loved the school. They all have great careers going as well.

The Cal Poly schools are both known for their engineering and agricultural programs. While they are outstanding schools, they may not be your best bet for your end goal. Cal Poly Pomona enjoys horrible traffic since it is situated right at the 10, 60, 71 and 57 freeways. That little area right there has terrible traffic nearly all day long. Housing is pretty expensive as well. I don't think I need to elaborate on cost of living in CSULB, suffice to say that it is high as hell.

jbauer
02-12-2013, 10:18 AM
come on guys you can't see the sarcasm in this thread?

ronpaulfollower999
02-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Get a job working at a hotel. Rome wasn't built in one day.

ronpaulfollower999
02-12-2013, 10:34 AM
I think business degrees are kind of lame anyway. Go for accounting.

mad cow
02-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Have you thought of just asking your mother for help in achieving your dream?

That's what Norman Bates did.

Aeroneous
02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
I think business degrees are kind of lame anyway. Go for accounting.

I used to say that exact same thing until I started my MBA and completed my job search at the end of my military enlistment. SO MANY job listings list a Business degree as the desired degree. Business degrees aren't so much about owning and running your own business (usually that's covered in entrepreneurial specializations/minors) but are more about different types of analyses.

Accounting is a great field to get into if you can handle the boring material.

QuickZ06
02-12-2013, 10:50 AM

That is less government as you will diminish gov power that way. Submitting peacefully then Pelosi and Gov. Brown shall reward you well ;)

Well I can clearly see that the state/school has done a fine job when it comes to "educating you" already. Well since you are 18 it seems like you are taking mostly just basics, basics that you literally just did in high school. Like others have stated there is other paths to get you to your goal, as a piece of paper is not the only way.

surf
02-12-2013, 11:08 AM
as an fyi - this is OJ Simpson's school (prior to USC)

-memory, if it's wrong, don't shoot me.

Vanilluxe
02-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all your information. The reason why I would like a degree is so I can have more credibility if I want to find some work there or getting Venture Capitalist to lend me money (I don't trust banks).