PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul: "I won’t say Marco Rubio's wrong"

compromise
02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2013/02/10/exp-sotu-rand-paul-state-of-the-union-tea-party-president-caterwauling-on-sequester.cnn

Sen. Rand Paul doesn't see his Tea Party response to the President's State of the Union address as a sign of division in the Republican party. It's just "extra," Paul said on CNN's State of the Union, like the order of coleslaw you get with fish and chips. "To me, I see it as extra response, I don’t see it as necessarily divisive," Paul said. "I won’t say anything on there that necessarily is like, 'Oh, Marco Rubio’s wrong.' He and I don’t always agree, but the thing is, this isn’t about he and I, this is about the tea party, which is a grassroots movement, a real movement, millions of Americans who are still concerned about some of the deal making that goes on in Washington." Paul said his response would call for the President to cut foreign aid to Middle Eastern countries like Egypt and Pakistan, requiring a balanced budget and cutting federal taxes. Paul also touched on Kentucky politics, like how he doesn't anticipate a Tea Party challenger to step to Senate leader Mitch McConnell. "I think it’s unlikely," Paul said. "I haven’t heard any Republican challenger come forward. I don’t know, but I haven’t heard of any challenger come forward." He also joked about the rumors Ashley Judd was going to run for office in his state. "When I heard Ashley Judd might run for office, I thought it was Parliament since she lives in Scotland half the year," he said.

I'm a little disappointed. This would have been a good opportunity to attack Rubio. I expect Rand's response will still be pretty good though, as he will try to differentiate himself from Rubio by tackling issues like foreign aid and probably civil liberties as well.

CaptUSA
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Attacking Rubio would be the height of lunacy. Like it or not, they have pumped up Rubio and the GOP establishment likes him. The only thing attacking him might do is to push those people away.

Listen, if you make Rand the second choice for people who like Rubio, then he has a better chance. Right now, we are only in the stage of the game where Rand needs to be an acceptable alternative... Rubio will crack under the spotlight and then where will all those people turn???

supermario21
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
You have to be subtle about it. You can tell from the tone that Rand has some disagreements and will work hard to make it clear during his response.

Rudeman
02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Too soon to go after Rubio and really not the right setting. Rand doing better than Rubio would be great though.

Occam's Banana
02-11-2013, 05:01 PM
http://memecaptain.com/0c8fc0.jpg

matt0611
02-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Too soon to go after Rubio and really not the right setting. Rand doing better than Rubio would be great though.

This. Its not the race for Republican candidate for POTUS yet. No reason to specifically attack him at this point.

GunnyFreedom
02-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Good show! I'm so proud of y'all. Every one cogent and on point. There are ways to undermine and ways to undermine yourself. What you want is to undermine the guy who is standing in your way while edifying your own fortifications. I'd say this was very well done for where we are in the timeline.

Matt Collins
02-11-2013, 11:50 PM
The very fact that Rand is giving the tea party SOTU address, and Rubio is giving the standard Republican address is brilliant, he's differentiating himself from Rubio and defining him as establishment :D

GunnyFreedom
02-12-2013, 12:03 AM
The very fact that Rand is giving the tea party SOTU address, and Rubio is giving the standard Republican address is brilliant, he's differentiating himself from Rubio and defining him as establishment :D

astute.

Attacking Rubio in the TP SOTU would be a Bachmann move. Differentiating within the 'big tent' for the TP SOTU is a good way to get GOP drones to like you in a Primary. It's all about timing. This would have been the worst place ever to go on the attack. Remember, ultimately you are playing to a GOP Convention audience with these moves, not the general electorate, or even the primary electorate.

J_White
02-13-2013, 12:30 AM
too early to attack.
that time will come. but Rand just needs to be a viable and acceptable till then.
we need to make inroads into the mainstream "R" followers before taking the establishment candidate full-on.

GunnyFreedom
02-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Rand went after Obama. And did it 1000 times better than Rubio. Which is exactly what he needed to do.